test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Priority One Podcast - Episode 85 - Wrath of Stahl

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
Episode 84 – Wrath of Stahl

18 June 2012 | Hello Captains! Welcome to a very special Episode 85 of Priority One recorded on Thursday, June 14th, 2012 and hosted on the recently launched PriorityOnePodcast.com.

In this episode’s Blank of the Week, we crave a new SciFi series; and with the support of listeners like you, Star Trek veterans Marc Zicree and Mike Ocuda might have a shot! Later, Adrianne will then takes you through all the important events that happened this week .

In news related to Star Trek Online, James has plenty to say about the new Armitage Class starship recently released on the C-Store. And before wrapping up, we’ll review incoming transmissions from you — Our listeners.

But the highlight of our episode is when Star Trek Online’s Executive Producer, Dan Stahl, joins us to answer your burning questions! The interview is revealing and certainly worth listening! Did your question get answered?

Check out the new Priority One Facebook Page and say hello!

Also, be on the lookout for Alex’s hilarious Priority One Comics and join in the misadventures of the cast and crew! Check it out here!

To get the missions you are making using The Foundry featured on the show, send in the name of your mission, a brief description, and your @handle to incoming@priorityonepodcast.com. Elijah and James will personally test out your mission and give you feedback over the air.

We have a call out to all Priority One fans for your ideas, bugs and tips for our new Field Notes Segment! Send an email to incoming@priorityonepodcast.com to submit your bugs, tips, or any idea or feature you would like to see implemented in game.

STREAM WHILE YOU PLAY & DOWNLOAD FOR LATER (iTUNES AND MP3):

Web: http://priorityonepodcast.com

SUBSCRIBE:
FEEDBURNER

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER:

STOPriorityONE

CATCH OUR LIVESTREAM:

www.livestream.com/priorityonepodcast

---
After listening to the show, e-mail us at incoming@priorityonepodcast.com and let us know what you thought of the episode! :cool:
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Wow.
    Are there any other ways to listen to you guys ?
    I just went to this new site of yours and tried to listen.
    I got a horrible feedback(ey) type of noise going on behind all the voices, which were randomly skipping and repeating.

Love your show.
    No way I can listen to it as it sounds currently.

Never had this problem listening to you in the past.

EDIT : It would seem that your direct link to the episode

http://priorityonepodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/episodes/PO85.mp3 works just fine.
    The problem I am referring to occurs when trying to listen to your episode from the front page located at
    http://priorityonepodcast.com/

Just trying to help further define what I am experiencing. Now, off to enjoy the show at the link which actually works.

Peace
    edited June 2012
    Me thinks that it isn't quite ready yet.
    edited June 2012
    HippieJohn wrote: »
    Wow.
    Are there any other ways to listen to you guys ?
    I just went to this new site of yours and tried to listen.
    I got a horrible feedback(ey) type of noise going on behind all the voices, which were randomly skipping and repeating.

Love your show.
    No way I can listen to it as it sounds currently.

Never had this problem listening to you in the past.

EDIT : It would seem that your direct link to the episode

http://priorityonepodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/episodes/PO85.mp3 works just fine.
    The problem I am referring to occurs when trying to listen to your episode from the front page located at
    http://priorityonepodcast.com/

Just trying to help further define what I am experiencing. Now, off to enjoy the show at the link which actually works.

Peace

Sorry about that! We are still working some of the bugs out :o The player at the top of the article you mention is broken apparently, thank you for pointing it out, and we will have if fixed tomorrow.

In the meantime, please use this link http://priorityonepodcast.com to listen, or feedburner and itunes seem to be working fine. Basically any of the links at the bottom of the page :o

Thanks again and enjoy the show!

Elliot
    edited June 2012
    Any chance of a transcript of the Stahl interview? My headphones blew out last night so I've got no sound until the new ones arrive :(
    edited June 2012
    Stahl really said some interesting things that actually perked my ears a bit with the things to come in Season 7.

Though I had to grumble that the STF changes won't be til then. But better late than never. And that the team is finding workarounds so this might not happen again. I'm sure they saw one of my suggestions having your odds increase as you work on those accolades til you unlocked them. (For example, by the time you hit 300 STFs and getting the Medal of Honor, you should have all 6 pieces to unlock both sets.)

Be interesting what the final decision ends up being.
    edited June 2012
    Azurian wrote: »
    Stahl really said some interesting things that actually perked my ears a bit with the things to come in Season 7.

STO devs say alot but deliver little. Talking about season 7 when 6 isnt even released? WTF are these monkeys doing?
    edited June 2012
    I always love hearing Dan explain things.

Fleet Ships:

I'd actually like to see lower level ships that could be good for enticing new players and fleet members to create alts. If the game begins at endgame, fleets should be the gateway to endgame. At the same time, new variants are probably too work intensive from an art perspective.

I'd like it if fleets could offer "-1 ships." For example, a Tier 1 Connie, a Tier 2 Excelsior, a Tier 3 Galaxy, etc. New ships like carriers sometimes introduce advanced mechanics but fleets can help guide the new player to learn these mechanics ahead of schedule.

Account Binding:

I'd like to make a suggestion. Why not have currency earned while a subscription is gold be account bound?

Gozer made it sound like two versions of a currency can coexist from a database perspective and that existing bound currencies will not be auto-unbound.

So what if both existed going forward.

Something similar to auto refinement of dilithium could automatically convert gold accounts' currencies to the account-bound version and automatically convert non-current golds' currencies to character bound.

Ship Replica Interiors:

I'd like it if the TNG set was highly social. I think having a large civilian presence is a defining part of the set. I'd like to see some whimsy here. In particular, the classroom with the Humuhumunukunukuapua and maybe some Captain Picard Day Decor. Maybe the stage with events that can play out like a few crew members performing Crusher's play "Frame of Mind."

Regarding Dead Targs:

What a phrase. I realize the Priority One hosts used it first but... That won't ever get turned against you by disgruntled players, no siree.

Look. I never bought into the Chicken and Egg argument with KDF players. Frankly, I think that to approach 50/50 with a two faction system, you'd have needed to make the game EVERYONE (as one allied force) vs. Federation or split the Federation in two somehow. You might be able to pull that trick still.

I'm not sure that's the most rewarding approach or that factions are. Trek is a symphony. Klingons (or Fed) are notes that you have.

My issue is not with "Chicken vs. Egg" when it comes to KDF content but "Egg on Face."

Bottom line: an MMO that deals in virtual goods banks on trust. Saying you can do something and then not doing it damages trust. That isn't suggesting silence is the better answer because silence would generate lack of trust too. Lack of resources is a reason, a valid one, but not an explanation... and not ideal for your marketing narrative.

Dan talks about strategies that could include KDF content. I think that's wise. I think more to the point however that the important thing is not leaving KDF players in limbo. Endgame content and crossfaction PvP are partial fixes.

Instead of talking about lacks (of resources, of KDF fans, whatever), what is needed is a bold and decisive approach. One that may be informed by lacks but which speaks to a proactive vision. "The game begins at endgame" is not a complete vision or a bold one. It's what every two faction MMO has done for ten years.

I think a bold paradigm shift is called for. I have ideas on what that would entail. I think, in the end, factions are a means of dividing players. In theory, with robust PvP, they can drive things...

But I urge you to check out stats for two faction MMOs. Not to be a broken record but look at Warcraft's server populations. Warcraft is 50/50 Alliance and Horde, give or take, right? Not quite. There's another picture there. It's nearly 100/100. I'll spare any explanation of that for right now.

Factions are the opposite of social. Well done, they are anti-social and spur socialization within a faction in response. Poorly done, they are desocializing.

I could go on for a long time about this.

Suffice to say, I think the following options should be out as longterm strategies:

1) KDF as a full, co-equal faction. The math doesn't support it.

2) KDF as monster play. The earnings potential isn't there and this is one "Egg on Face" scenario.

3) Leaving KDF as it is and hedging totally on endgame. Forget "Egg on Face," this is a festering wound that shakes confidence.

4) Merging the KDF into the Federation. I used to argue for this but I think you're back to "Egg on Face."

I see several possibilities. I think any of these four strategies are weak. Band-aid fixes convey lack of vision and resources, which shake confidence. You need a different approach. I have ideas on this if anybody ever wants to give me a call but I'm not just tossing them out in their entirety on the forum because I'm just a tad burnt out on being sourced as a consumer.
    edited June 2012
    I'll add on the TNG interior, I think it would be an interesting experiment to offer fewer extra goodies in the bundle but offer more goodies tied to the ship interior.

For example:

- One or more holodeck settings built in.

- Transporters with random mishaps like de-evolution, duplicate, and "rascals" body slider modification debuff.

- Novel DOff assignments with added TNG flavor.

- Periodic visits from Q, perhaps tied to DOff assignments.

- Added areas to explore like the classroom, the Battle Bridge, and the theatre.

Now... Here's something interesting:

What if some of the things that were NORMALLY in a pack were not restricted to the bridge owner but required visiting a TNG owner's bridge.

FOR EXAMPLE:

- A high end EC or dilithium store which sells TNG phasers to anyone who visits the TNG interior and early TNG uniforms.
    - Special DOff assignments that pop up. These could award:
    --- AGT uniforms.
    --- Skants!
    --- Special duty officers including a Transporter Duplicate, House of Duras spy, Holonovel character, etc.

Or, barring all else, maybe a poker mini-game. Now, multiplayer poker is a more complicated feature...

But have a table where you sit down and play one of a number of prefab games via dialogue box would be fairly doable.

If these features sound excessive, I'd point out the following development perk of a TNG interior:

It could be sold in multiple re-decos, including All Good Things, Yesterday's Enterprise, and even the late Enterprise-A and Excelsior, which were largely a repaint/repurposing of TNG sets.

One of the more popular Warcraft promotional items was the Soul Trader's Beacon, which summons a pet which has a store attached. You kill enemies with the pet out. You get extra tokens when doing so. The pet acts as a vendor and takes the tokens for items.

By making the extra TNG items things you can share with friends but which must be earned or purchased on your ship interior, a social dimension is added.
    edited June 2012
    Vhakka wrote: »
    STO devs say alot but deliver little. Talking about season 7 when 6 isnt even released? WTF are these monkeys doing?

He's giving hints about what they have planned after season 6. nothing wrong with that and im sure a lot of players are interested in long terms plans and goals.

you dont have to insult them because he talked about something you dont want to hear about yet.
    edited June 2012
    He's giving hints about what they have planned after season 6. nothing wrong with that and im sure a lot of players are interested in long terms plans and goals.

you dont have to insult them because he talked about something you dont want to hear about yet.

You cant please everyone. Speculating about something 6+ months away is kinda meh, its ok though feel free to keep waving your flag.
    edited June 2012
    Vhakka wrote: »
    You cant please everyone. Speculating about something 6+ months away is kinda meh, its ok though feel free to keep waving your flag.

Maybe but Stahl's job is basically to live in the future, starting six months out, and do a combination of roadmapping and assembling everyone's ideas into a vision.

Basically, everybody has their noses down to the grindstone, working on stuff, assigned by producers based on design documents and business goals.

Stahl's job is basically to assemble all of that into a coherent vision for 6-24 months from now, sync everyone up, and keep them on track with the overall vision even as details change.
    edited June 2012
    How deep has the KDF been discussed?
    edited June 2012
    Regarding Dead Targs:

What a phrase. I realize the Priority One hosts used it first but... That won't ever get turned against you by disgruntled players, no siree.

Look. I never bought into the Chicken and Egg argument with KDF players. Frankly, I think that to approach 50/50 with a two faction system, you'd have needed to make the game EVERYONE (as one allied force) vs. Federation or split the Federation in two somehow. You might be able to pull that trick still.

I'm not sure that's the most rewarding approach or that factions are. Trek is a symphony. Klingons (or Fed) are notes that you have.

My issue is not with "Chicken vs. Egg" when it comes to KDF content but "Egg on Face."

Bottom line: an MMO that deals in virtual goods banks on trust. Saying you can do something and then not doing it damages trust. That isn't suggesting silence is the better answer because silence would generate lack of trust too. Lack of resources is a reason, a valid one, but not an explanation... and not ideal for your marketing narrative.

Dan talks about strategies that could include KDF content. I think that's wise. I think more to the point however that the important thing is not leaving KDF players in limbo. Endgame content and crossfaction PvP are partial fixes.

Instead of talking about lacks (of resources, of KDF fans, whatever), what is needed is a bold and decisive approach. One that may be informed by lacks but which speaks to a proactive vision. "The game begins at endgame" is not a complete vision or a bold one. It's what every two faction MMO has done for ten years.

I think a bold paradigm shift is called for. I have ideas on what that would entail. I think, in the end, factions are a means of dividing players. In theory, with robust PvP, they can drive things...

But I urge you to check out stats for two faction MMOs. Not to be a broken record but look at Warcraft's server populations. Warcraft is 50/50 Alliance and Horde, give or take, right? Not quite. There's another picture there. It's nearly 100/100. I'll spare any explanation of that for right now.

Factions are the opposite of social. Well done, they are anti-social and spur socialization within a faction in response. Poorly done, they are desocializing.

I could go on for a long time about this.

I see several possibilities. I think any of these four strategies are weak. Band-aid fixes convey lack of vision and resources, which shake confidence. You need a different approach. I have ideas on this if anybody ever wants to give me a call but I'm not just tossing them out in their entirety on the forum because I'm just a tad burnt out on being sourced as a consumer.
    1) KDF as a full, co-equal faction. The math doesn't support it.
    Completness of game play is what we need so the KDF experience is fully cemented into STO, not equality with the feds. The fed gameplay experience will always continue to grow so we should not expect to equal it but the KDF experience is incomplete and unfocused in STO and needs to be brought full circle.
    2) KDF as monster play. The earnings potential isn't there and this is one "Egg on Face" scenario.
    Yet from day one before launch the fanbase experessed they HATED this idea and has held onto that dislike ever since. Why would the Developers think it would change after all this time?
    3) Leaving KDF as it is and hedging totally on endgame. Forget "Egg on Face," this is a festering wound that shakes confidence.
    Endgame is important given STO "too quick" leveling process but to leave the KDF as it is in hopes that the Klingon fan will just adapt to being overlooked and left unfinished due to thier proposed revenue potential is silly and short sighted. Fixing the endgame issue to keep the existing playerbase happy and busy is important. SO is finishing the KDF as the fans have been hoping for so long.
    4) Merging the KDF into the Federation. I used to argue for this but I think you're back to "Egg on Face."
    Is a humping joke of an idea.........

Overall though I was bolstered by DStahl answer to the KDF concerns. Not happy, as a fan I would love to see quicker development, but satisfied that we KDF'ers are going to see more low-level content and eventually be able to start from level one as a complete faction.
    Its certainly puts the "the Devs have given up on the KDF" rumors and inuendo that has been flying around the forums these past weeks to rest. That has been my biggest concern. I've waitied this long for a better KDF game experience and can wait longer as long as the Devs still have it in thier minds to fulfill the promises of the past.
    edited June 2012
    Did you know that "Stahl" is the German word for Steel?

Wrath of Stahl sounds extra badass.

Mustrum "Don't know if the interview contents justify the extra badass" Ridcully
    edited June 2012
    Thanks to Priority One for at least asking about KDF.

I'm so fed up with Stahl and his BS. He tries to claim that low playing numbers for KDF is a 'Universal Constant' - Total BS.

Other MMOs have no issues balancing faction numbers. There are fewer KDF players because YOU Mr Stahl never supported the faction with in-game content and forced players to level up a Fed first. Now you have the cheek to say that because there are fewer KDF players they are a low priority.

And in terms of PVP, I'm fine with mixed faction pvp but you better not take out the KvK and FvK options we currently have.
    edited June 2012
    Other MMOs have no issues balancing faction numbers.

The reality is, those other MMOs arent based on an IP that focused 99% of its story on one faction. Even the SW movies kept bouncing back and forth between the Rebel and Imperial story, and the main character even went from being a "good guy" to a "bad guy". Trek is 99% focused on the Federation, so it is fairly obvious that the majority of people who play a Trek MMO are going to want to play Fed. In fact, I did a poll before launch and before people had any idea that the KDF would have less content and 70% still wanted to play Fed:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=15931
    edited June 2012
    The reality is, those other MMOs arent based on an IP that focused 99% of its story on one faction. Even the SW movies kept bouncing back and forth between the Rebel and Imperial story, and the main character even went from being a "good guy" to a "bad guy". Trek is 99% focused on the Federation, so it is fairly obvious that the majority of people who play a Trek MMO are going to want to play Fed. In fact, I did a poll before launch and before people had any idea that the KDF would have less content and 70% still wanted to play Fed:

Agreed, you have a point. But WoW had similar problems with Horde vs Alliance at the start and they reached a balance point of sorts.

Faction populations tend to balance out over the the long term.
    edited June 2012
    Agreed, you have a point. But WoW had similar problems with Horde vs Alliance at the start and they reached a balance point of sorts.

Faction populations tend to balance out over the the long term.

This ignores the point I am making about the IP. WoW is not based on an IP that has numerous movies and TV series which are 99% focused on one faction, while STO is. This plants the idea in people's minds that Star Trek is mainly about the Feds before they even hear about STO.
    edited June 2012
    This ignores the point I am making about the IP. WoW is not based on an IP that has numerous movies and TV series which are 99% focused on one faction, while STO is. This plants the idea in people's minds that Star Trek is mainly about the Feds before they even hear about STO.

I agree that there is a leaning to the feds, I disagree that, on a long enough timeline, the exposure to movies, tv etc has a significant bearing on player faction choice.
    edited June 2012
    When it comes to the KDF, I can understand people's frustration. Dstahl is quiet focused on that 16-18% number in his justification. But given he said that number holds true at conventions, I honestly like to know where he got that number. Because people not dressing up as Klingons doesn't mean they don't like them.

And when it comes to STO, whats to say that 16-18% number isn't because of people not being interested in Klingons because there is nothing to do? Remember after launch, there literally was no PvE content for Klingons and there was a handful of unique things such as the Bat'elth, BoPs, and Carriers. So to me, if KDF launched with equal content, what's to say that number would've been higher?

Now, everything is blurring together to the point many are asking "why bother with seperate factions" or "why bother with the war"? KDF has lost almost all it's uniquenesss except the BoP.

On the other hand, I can see Stahl's reluctance because why bother adding new KDF PvE missions to fill up the missing space if they only play it once (as is all other PvE content in STO). So if they were to add something content-wise, it would be have to be something thats a mission or zone that offers long-term replayability that makes you want to go back.

If you ask me, if Cryptic redid some worlds to a classic MMO world setting like Forcas, you can go there for missions. Maybe even open up a real Bat'elth contest setting and have ti be a type of PvEvP where players could be ranked and then you end up with real meaning with those trophies. Or have similar to Fleet Advancement, but redo it for player Houses and you could do like Klingons and ally with other houses, do trade, even have House wars, etc.

Now tell me, don't you think such things like that wouldn't give players a reason to play KDF?
    edited June 2012
    P1, your sure to open up a can of frequencies saying the Executive Produder stahled your computer.

I predict much huffing and puffing if they offer goodies for those who have not yet merged their Cryptic accounts versus the early adopters who got diddly-do.

*KDF rant follows*... well depressing news as always on this front from Dstahl. In fact more-so, as it seems they are resolute in trying to sour the milk soooo much that those KDF players WHO JUST WON'T QUIT will finally do so. A faction with no prospects whose only purpose is being PR shield for as long as its needed to run it into the ground.
    edited June 2012

I agree. Even if KDF was at full parity with the feds with lvls 1-50, same number of costumes, ships, etc, The overwhelming majority of trek fans will STILL choose to play the Federation at least as their main.

Its just not realistic to call it a 'chicken and egg problem.' There will never be nearly as many KDF players. As Stahl says, this is borne out by the number of klingon fans at conventions, and other games. It was also borne out by the pre-launch poll run by The Grand Nagus.

I hope we can all stop beating the dead Targ and move forward with more realistic expectations.
    edited June 2012
    So how do you tell a klingon fan from a fedfan at a convention to say that the grouping seen at said conventions holds true in STO? Not every Klingonfan does cosplay.

Besides the latest interview does not state the KDF is being set aside or ignored becuase the feds have the most money, Dstahl clearly stated that the need for agnostic endgame content is overiding the desire to do more for the KDF becuase most players are at level cap and as a whole the STO playerbase needs something to do at endgame.

If you do not like me beating this Targ, then stand elsewhere. Otherwise you will get dead Targ on you as I beat it.
    edited June 2012
    greedo42 wrote:
    I agree. Even if KDF was at full parity with the feds with lvls 1-50, same number of costumes, ships, etc, The overwhelming majority of trek fans will STILL choose to play the Federation at least as their main.

Its just not realistic to call it a 'chicken and egg problem.' There will never be nearly as many KDF players. As Stahl says, this is borne out by the number of klingon fans at conventions, and other games. It was also borne out by the pre-launch poll run by The Grand Nagus.

I hope we can all stop beating the dead Targ and move forward with more realistic expectations.

Agreed. This seems to be a rampant problem on the forums of late. More or "equal" content will not change reality.

As a Romulan fan first and Trek fan (in general) second, I completely understand that Star Trek is a Federation focused property. I do NOT expect the Romulans to be included in every single Trek game. I do NOT expect Romulans to be equal to the Federation if they are included. I do NOT expect the Romulans to be fully fleshed out, even if the developers would state that they intend to do so.

I am a realist, not some one who desires to derail a whole game for my own desires.
    edited June 2012
    I think that most FED vs KDF discussions might overestimate the RP factors. Sure some people have zero interest in playing the other faction at conventions or in STO. However, if a second faction offers compelling gameplay alternatives. It can become an attractive alternative for all players. If the KDF had unique gameplay features most players that create an alt would create one of the other faction. They might even get stuck on the other side because they make friends, prefer the gameplay ....what not.

Still nothing will come of it, be glad that you have a kdf faction with ships. Still waiting for the romulans, no matter how.... can't help it!
    edited June 2012
    zmacgirthy wrote: »

STREAM WHILE YOU PLAY & DOWNLOAD FOR LATER (iTUNES AND MP3):

Web: http://priorityonepodcast.com

SUBSCRIBE:
    FEEDBURNER

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER:

STOPriorityONE

CATCH OUR LIVESTREAM:

www.livestream.com/priorityonepodcast

---
    After listening to the show, e-mail us at incoming@priorityonepodcast.com and let us know what you thought of the episode! :cool:

Most of your website is broken.

Also, it's 'Okuda,' not 'Ocuda.' There's a bunch of other typos too. You guys should probably proofread your stuff before you post it since the STO front page links it.
    edited June 2012
    Roach wrote: »
    Completness of game play is what we need so the KDF experience is fully cemented into STO, not equality with the feds. The fed gameplay experience will always continue to grow so we should not expect to equal it but the KDF experience is incomplete and unfocused in STO and needs to be brought full circle.

Yet from day one before launch the fanbase experessed they HATED this idea and has held onto that dislike ever since. Why would the Developers think it would change after all this time?

Endgame is important given STO "too quick" leveling process but to leave the KDF as it is in hopes that the Klingon fan will just adapt to being overlooked and left unfinished due to thier proposed revenue potential is silly and short sighted. Fixing the endgame issue to keep the existing playerbase happy and busy is important. SO is finishing the KDF as the fans have been hoping for so long.

Is a humping joke of an idea.........

Overall though I was bolstered by DStahl answer to the KDF concerns. Not happy, as a fan I would love to see quicker development, but satisfied that we KDF'ers are going to see more low-level content and eventually be able to start from level one as a complete faction.
    Its certainly puts the "the Devs have given up on the KDF" rumors and inuendo that has been flying around the forums these past weeks to rest. That has been my biggest concern. I've waitied this long for a better KDF game experience and can wait longer as long as the Devs still have it in thier minds to fulfill the promises of the past.

Just FYI, those four solutions were the solutions I was saying DIDN'T WORK as solutions. :-)
    edited June 2012
    In a recent interview, Dstahl was asked about the benefits of having a LT sub, and the only one he mentioned was the Foundry. He said:
    But you asked about the LT sub. I think the Foundry is a really good reason why you want to be a LT member. I think if you like making content or if you like with that editor and if you want to take your crack at game development or mission development, I think having a LT subscription not only guarantees that the missions you make are going to be around forever, but it also just gives you all those conveniences. So I think there is a lot of people that do take advantage of that, and thats kind of one of the reasons we do it. We want to give incentives to the players who want to be involved in the Foundry and thats a great way to do it. Its really no sweat off my back to offer that discount there.

There are a couple of issues I'd like clarification on based on the statements above, specifically the part I highlighted:

1) As you can already purchase foundry slots simply using dilithium, what benefit does being a LT sub provide you?

2) If you do not have a LT sub then is there some risk that your missions wont "be around forever"?

edited June 2012

I would also add, balancing is an issue in other games.

Even ones that are 50/50, people tend to request faction co-op play or one faction dominates on any given server.

So that maybe 20% of servers are balanced. 40% have one faction dominating. 40% have the other faction dominating.

That is not the same as equal factions even though the overall population average is 50/50... Because it says something about what factions do to players.

Said it before, I'll say it again: Cryptic needs to reinvent the idea of factions here.
    edited June 2012
    Azurian wrote: »
    When it comes to the KDF, I can understand people's frustration. Dstahl is quiet focused on that 16-18% number in his justification. But given he said that number holds true at conventions, I honestly like to know where he got that number. Because people not dressing up as Klingons doesn't mean they don't like them.

A polling firm canvased conventions years ago. It also lined up with Perpetual's numbers.

They might be able to squeak 5% more out.

On the flipside, raiders and PvPers are even smaller groups, demographically, in western MMOs.

I think there is absolutely no winning the argument that 75%-80% of Star Trek fans are apathetic or antipathetic towards Klingons.

Instead, focus on the fact that 25% is a big number, the kind you can only afford to ignore four times before you lose everyone. :-)