test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher, "Star Trek TNG") Has Installed STO! :-)

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited March 2012 in Ten Forward
That's right, guys...I found out through Wil's tumblr account that he's installed STO and he's playing a character by the name of "Sparks McGee". :)

http://wilwheaton.tumblr.com/post/19628664206/im-installing-star-trek-online

"For the sole purpose of seeing if “Sparks McGee” is already taken. For if it is not, I am going to make the man described as “Wesley Crusher, in a cowboy hat and muscle car. He also kills people.” That was a quote from me, five minutes ago. If it is…well…I’ve got ten gigs of a game I’m never going to play. At least it’s on Steam.

EDIT: It worked. Now I’m killing people with phaser rifles like…well, like Sparks would."

I don't know about you guys, but I think this is awesome news! Especially since Wil is such a huge gamer! :D

So if you guys run into Sparks McGee in the game, treat him right! :cool:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    That's cool. I should stalk him on the off chance that he'll talk Felicia Day into joining. :D:o

(And Felicia, if you join, I *strongly* suggest that you don't hand out your character name. You'll get 10,000 messages a day, and that's just from me! :eek:)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Hopefully Sparks isnt the Disaster Wesley was. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    SeanNewBoy wrote: »
    Hopefully Sparks isnt the Disaster Wesley was. :rolleyes:

:D Well, Wil won't have someone else pullin' his strings this time, so I think he'll be okay. lol :)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    If you need me I'll be soaking in a tub of chlorine for a while.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    WHEEeeeee-Toonnnn... !

I"LL HUNT YOU AND YER 10 GALLON HAT ROUND THE MOONS OF NIBIA, ROUND THE ANTARES MAELSTROM AND ROUND PERDITION'S FLAMES...

...and chase ya across Sector Space as well, through which ever Instance you hide in...

Just ta say hello..

:p
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    This is great! Wil Wheaton is such an awsome person to hang around with (ST Conventions in Vegas were fun when he was around. I bought his book some years ago and had a good conversation when he was signing it.

Though, to be honest, I'm not sure if you should really be handing out his character name...though I guess it is harmless seeing that you aren't giving the handle...and lol, now that name will be taken by someone else who will pretend to be Wil. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Though, to be honest, I'm not sure if you should really be handing out his character name...though I guess it is harmless seeing that you aren't giving the handle...and lol, now that name will be taken by someone else who will pretent to be Wil. :rolleyes:

Well, he told everyone on tumblr and Facebook, so I don't think he's really all that worried. :)

I agree with hort, though; I'd love to try to get Felicia to play the game as well. :) She's also a really big gamer, so I think she'd have a lot of fun! :D
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Maybe I'll roll an alt named Sheldon Cooper and hunt Wil Wheaton down!!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    TOSLover wrote:
    http://wilwheaton.tumblr.com/post/19628664206/im-installing-star-trek-online

"For the sole purpose of seeing if “Sparks McGee” is already taken. For if it is not, I am going to make the man described as “Wesley Crusher, in a cowboy hat and muscle car. He also kills people.” That was a quote from me, five minutes ago. If it is…well…I’ve got ten gigs of a game I’m never going to play. At least it’s on Steam.

EDIT: It worked. Now I’m killing people with phaser rifles like…well, like Sparks would."

I guess Wil didn't know that character names aren't unique, that it is the @handle that is unique. Wil's awesome though, so I'll overlook that newbiness! :)

hort_wort wrote: »
    (And Felicia, if you join, I *strongly* suggest that you don't hand out your character name. You'll get 10,000 messages a day, and that's just from me! :eek:)
    And another 10k a day from me! :D

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Every interview I've seen of this guy has made him look like a complete and utter tool. :/
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    CrustyMac wrote: »

lol :eek::D
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    CrustyMac wrote: »

I think that is the best quote of the year.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Doogie wrote:
    I think that is the best quote of the year.

/concur /10char.........
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    doesn't matter. character name means nothing, as it is the @name that matters. There can be over one thousand Sparks McGee's on STO if we really wanted.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    You guys do realize he was just reblogging something from "draxion" and added the "Screenshots of GTFO"(sic) and he's not the one that is playing the game right?

http://draxion.tumblr.com/post/19648563728/im-installing-star-trek-online
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    He is waaaay late to the party - Pfffft.

I hear Patrick Stewart has been playing since launch and has a LTS ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    You guys do realize he was just reblogging something from "draxion" and added the "Screenshots of GTFO"(sic) and he's not the one that is playing the game right?

There goes my 0.001% chance of gaming with Felicia. :(
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Well, if he decides to pay the forum a visit, I say "Welcome, Wil. Don't be a stranger."
  • Options
    edited March 2012

I just realized that. And now totally feel like an idiot.

just tag me along with #PeopleWhoDontUseTumblr
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    just tag me along with #PeopleWhoDontUseTumblr

Meh, me either, people are lucky (or is that unlucky) that I use Twitter, I'm not about to get into the rest of that stuff.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    If any famous people involved with creating the 'real' Star Trek were to play STO, announcing their presence and true identity would be the worst ever thing to do.
  • Options
    edited March 2012

There's your quote of the year. LMAO.
  • Options
    edited March 2012

I honestly didn't realize that. :o I just figured, since Sparks McGee was a character name [for TNG] coined by him, that he was planning on joining STO as that character.

Oh, well. Maybe when I meet him in July, I'll ask him his feelings on STO and whether or not he'd join. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Oh yeah sure..

i found Christina aguileras facebook account .. she said she loves me and that she will move to my country and marry me.. pahahahaha
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    TOSLover wrote:
    I just figured, since Sparks McGee was a character name [for TNG] coined by him, that he was planning on joining STO as that character.

Yeah, without the backstory I can see how it would be confusing... :)

It all got started on Twitter while talking about Walking Dead

@wilw
    Guys, if Carl was Wesley Crusher, he would have solved the zombie apocalypse problem BY HIMSELF a long time ago. Carl is not Wesley Crusher.

@wilw
    SPOILER ALERT: Wesley Crusher traveled back in time to cause the zombie apocalypse as a test for Carl. CARL FAILED THE TEST.

@wilw
    All I'm saying is... someone who is more creative than me should mashup Sparks McGee and The Walking Dead. MAKE IT HAPPEN INTERNET.

@wilw
    DOUBLE SPOILER ALERT: The entirety of The Walking Dead takes place in a holodeck program, written by Wesley Crusher. #Faptastic!

Someone ran with the comment I put in yellow and blogged about it, so Wil reblogged it. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Someone ran with the comment I put in yellow and blogged about it, so Wil reblogged it. :)

So basically you're telling us that the coolest thing Wil Wheaton ever did was rip off a random blogger? >_>;
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    So basically you're telling us that the coolest thing Wil Wheaton ever did was rip off a random blogger? >_>;

I dunno... he did leave TNG, that's got to rank pretty high. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Odds are most of these celebrities famous to not so famous... They have better things to do than sit around tweeting, IM"ing, tumbling or whatever... Its probally some 12 year old wanting to see some nerd rage when they figure out its not really him...

Next thing you know everyone is going to ask him to have him make a video of him picking up the newspaper to prove his identity... ROFL
  • Options
    edited March 2012

No one respects the Wheaton :(
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Zeuxidemus wrote:
    Next thing you know everyone is going to ask him to have him make a video of him picking up the newspaper to prove his identity... ROFL

https://twitter.com/#!/wilw The little blue circle with a checkmark means he has sent a photo ID to twitter and is a "Verified account". Note that they don't do that any more, much to the chagrin of people like Bruce Campbell.