test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

USS Enterprise-E

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2012 in Federation Discussion
Will we see the USS Enterprise in the future episode series? Will we see it Decommissioned rather seeing its fate destroyed?

I'd be really upset, it's a really one of my favourite ships and she's a beauty. I'm unsure about the CBS rights or anything but is it even allowed to get destroyed? Even though you can't because CBS won't allow it?

R.I.P. Enterprise-E ....You Will Never Be Forgotten-Charlie25:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcJ6gCOtMjU She's a lovely ship:(
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Cryptic can't do anything that CBS doesn't allow. Every single thing you see in the game is there because CBS approved it. Maybe we'll see the Ent-E, or maybe we won't. There's a lot of legal issues involved as Paramount has the rights to the Ent-E, not CBS. Plus Cryptic would need to pay for likeness righs to Spiner if they wanted to use Captain Data in the game.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    So Cryptic would need to pay alot of money if Paramount allows them to use Ent-E? If Ent-F is being made, wouldn't Paramount be angry because that would put Ent-E out of the picture. Assuming it's not destroyed or lost. It would make people think Enterprise-E is destroyed or decom and Paramount wouldn't like that?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Paramount doesn't care what happens in STO because STO is not canon. IE, it's not official. All Paramount cares about is make sure no one else is using their Intellectual Property without their permission - and permission generally costs money.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Ahh gotcha now. Sorry for this assumption lol. So Enterprise-E is still in use to Paramount:p
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Yeah. Assuming they were willing to make another movie, and the stars were willing, they can still use the Ent-E in that movie because that era is still canon.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Thank you;)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    yep sto is not canon, so the E is fine :D, technincally still new so they can use still for a series or movies, but since the crew is getting old maybe a new crew will be the best.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    That's a good idea!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Charlie25 wrote: »
    That's a good idea!

and just have the older crew make speical apperances. There is alot about the E we don't know yet and I for one would love to know. I wish though she was bigger than a galaxy class but or well.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    CBS and Paramount are properties of Viacom. Also the newly created CBS Corporation controls the vertical & horizontal for Star Trek properties, all of them. If CBS agrees to either destroy the 1701-E or have it disappear then it goes. Paramount has no say in the matter.

Also, they don't have to use Spiner's likeness. They can make a close enough looking version like they did with Worf.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Last time i saw Enterprise it was half destroyed, lodged in a romulan dreadnaught with android parts flying around it. I dont think Picard thought much of the new Enterprise, Its the second time he tried to destroy it :p. Im just assuming it was scuttled and they held off building a new one for a bit.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Omega_X wrote:
    CBS and Paramount are properties of Viacom. Also the newly created CBS Corporation controls the vertical & horizontal for Star Trek properties, all of them. If CBS agrees to either destroy the 1701-E or have it disappear then it goes. Paramount has no say in the matter.

Also, they don't have to use Spiner's likeness. They can make a close enough looking version like they did with Worf.
    I think dstahl has a post around here talking about how when they need Paramount's permisison for something they have to ask their CBS rep to talk to Paramount and work out the particulars for them. So I don't think the system works like you say it does.

An example of this is what Bill Prady had to deal with to get the Quinto Spock cutout in the last Big Bang Theory, which is on CBS.
    In order to use that prop, which is a cardboard cutout of Spock [as seen] in the new movie series, you needed three approvals. You needed Paramount [Pictures], and you had to get Zach to approve it and you had to get J.J. Abrams to approve it…. The problem is we wanted to say, “Suck it. Zachary Quinto.” Normally when you send something out [for approval] you send the pages, and we’re going, “Are they going to like this?” So we called Zachary’s agent, we called Paramount, and we call J.J.’s office. I [told them], “We need to, at some point, let Sheldon begin accepting there is a new Spock in the world, and we’re going to have him start by not liking it at all. So if you’re game, and you let us use it, we will begin the process of him coming to grips with Zachary Quinto as Spock.” And we got a message back immediately from Zach and J.J. saying they loved the idea.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    STF65 wrote:
    I think dstahl has a post around here talking about how when they need Paramount's permisison for something they have to ask their CBS rep to talk to Paramount and work out the particulars for them. So I don't think the system works like you say it does.

An example of this is what Bill Prady had to deal with to get the Quinto Spock cutout in the last Big Bang Theory, which is on CBS.

Getting Quinto's approval is a given since its his face. Getting the approval of Paramount and JJ means that the movie series is still tied up in contracts.

CBS Corporation owned Paramount Pictures up until 2006 when the holding company split them in two. One was the old Viacom which renamed itself to CBS Corporation and the new Viacom which owns Paramount, MTV and BET. And since CBS owns the rights to the source material, talking to Paramount about Enterprise-E or any of the older material is probably just a formality.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Goodbye Enterprise-E. Even though these companies will never have that ship in another film again!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I love my Sovereign-Class!

The STO Enterprise-F IS NOT canon until they release it in a movie or series. And i know they will never release the STO Enterprise-F in a movie ...
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    rlaffargue wrote:
    Last time i saw Enterprise it was half destroyed, lodged in a romulan dreadnaught with android parts flying around it. I dont think Picard thought much of the new Enterprise, Its the second time he tried to destroy it :p. Im just assuming it was scuttled and they held off building a new one for a bit.

Did you not watch the very last shot in Nemesis? The saucer had been rebuilt in dry dock, getting ready to launch.
  • Options
    edited January 2012

The STO Enterprise-F IS NOT canon until they release it in a movie or series. And i know they will never release the STO Enterprise-F in a movie ...

this is true. Its not a bad looking ship but it isn't offically a canon ship. Also we need a sovy refit now. It is time she had one done.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Did anyone liked the deleted scene of the final part? or liked how picard smiled at the end when he left B4's room:p

I personally liked the original
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Did anyone liked the deleted scene of the final part? or liked how picard smiled at the end when he left B4's room:p

I personally liked the original

Nemesis isn't a bad movie, for a star trek it hasn't got the best storyline, it was more of a remake of wrath of khan, but everything else is great. Its more of a action movie so it is a good action movie. Even though they said it was the last tng movie they still left and opening so honest i don't think it will be the last one. I hope.
  • Options
    edited January 2012

Of course, because Paramount doesn't own the right s to it.
    RAJ_2011 wrote:
    this is true. Its not a bad looking ship but it isn't offically a canon ship. Also we need a sovy refit now. It is time she had one done.

CBS owns the television right, and CBS approved the Enterprise-F.
    They also said they plan to use it as the new Enterprise if their new STar Trek series ever starts production.
    That's part of the reason they allowed one to be made in the first place.
    That makes it canon.
    Ahh gotcha now. Sorry for this assumption lol. So Enterprise-E is still in use to Paramount:p

I shall clarify for all of you because I'm a nice guy like that ;-).

Paramount & CBS are separate entities now.
    Paramount own the Star Trek MOVIE rights.
    CBS owns the Star Trek TELEVISION rights.

SInce STO is based within the TELEVISION series, CBS is in charge of what we STO can & cannot feature.
    Since Paramount owns the movie rights, they own the rights to all IP that was created through the movies, i.e. the Ent-E.
    However, Paramount has no plans to ever use the Ent-E again as they have created their own Star Trek timelime with the new franchise created with the new Star Trek (2009) movie.
    Therefore, Paramount has no need for it, but they won't sell it either, and CBS must get their permission to give Cryptic permission to use the Ent-E ship AS the Ent-E.

Clear enough?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Accidental multi-post.
    Sorry.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Wait, if paramount used the E/Soveriegns first, then how does it work for them to allow the sovereign in sto but not the Enterprise E beyond a handful or less of references to it?

And paramount must admit no CBS/Desilu No Star Trek, no Trek no Trek Movies. Odd isn't it though NBC was the original airer of trek.

And how does abrams get any peice of roddenberry's IP did Majell and Gene jr sell the rights?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    jewkesman wrote: »
    Wait, if paramount used the E/Soveriegns first, then how does it work for them to allow the sovereign in sto but not the Enterprise E beyond a handful or less of references to it?
    Paramount can allow the Sovereign without allowing the Enterprise E. Within the realm of IP law one is really not the other.
    And how does abrams get any peice of roddenberry's IP did Majell and Gene jr sell the rights?
    I assume Abrams' contract allows him to have control over his reinterpretation of the IP. That doesn't mean that he owns it. It simply means no one else can use his interpretation without his permission.
  • Options
    edited January 2012

Paramount & CBS WERE the same company when that ship wascreated.
    CBS owns the SHIP rights for TELEVISION.
    Paramount owns the Enetrprise-E rights because it was only in the MOVIES.
    Odd isn't it though NBC was the original airer of trek.

Yes. NBC aried Star Trek's OS first.
    It failed for 3 seasons.
    Desi Arnez bought the TELEVISION rights and got it aired on CBS.
    CBS/Paramount bought the rights and made MOVIES.
    Paramount (movie studio) and CBS (television network) split ways and divided the rights accordingly.
    Didn't I just cover this?
    And how does abrams get any peice of roddenberry's IP did Majell and Gene jr sell the rights?[/

Abrams did NOT get any rights to the IP.
    Paramount hired Abrams to create their own version of Star Trek seperate from every Star Trek series.
    This way they will never be expected by any original Star Trek fan to use anything from any series and therefore do not need CBS's approval for anything, and can have their own Star Trek franchise AND it's money all to themselves.
    This is also yet another reason why CBS is attempting to create yet another Star Trek television series.

Company Anti-Mergers 101
    Class dismissed.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Well until I see it on a TV screen or cinema, the F will be soft canon to me as sto is soft canon. The f was made for the game, nothing has been said of them using the F in any tv series or movies as of yet.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    RAJ_2011 wrote:
    . . . nothing has been said of them using the F in any tv series or movies as of yet.

Yes.
    It has.
    That's the main reason they had a new Enterprise designed.
    Google it, er something.
    It's there.
    I've seen in multiple places all over the internet.
    Including IMDB at one point.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Xavier_Q wrote:
    Yes.
    It has.
    That's the main reason they had a new Enterprise designed.
    Google it, er something.
    It's there.
    I've seen in multiple places all over the internet.
    Including IMDB at one point.

lmao, was way ahead of you, it was designed for the game nothing else. http://www.startrek.com/article/dev-diary-design-the-next-enterprise See here it says it was designed for sto nothing more.

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2466

Plus sto is set way in the future. So would make since to have a new enterprise. As for tv series and moives the E it still brand new. Only what 7 years old in the tng movies timeline.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    RAJ_2011 wrote:
    lmao, was way ahead of you, it was designed for the game nothing else. http://www.startrek.com/article/dev-diary-design-the-next-enterprise See here it says it was designed for sto nothing more.

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2466

Plus sto is set way in the future. So would make since to have a new enterprise. As for tv series and moives the E it still brand new. Only what 7 years old in the tng movies timeline.

The new series, so far, is to be set in the 26th century.
    Do some more digging, and I'm sure you'll find it.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Xavier_Q wrote:
    The new series, so far, is to be set in the 26th century.
    Do some more digging, and I'm sure you'll find it.

lmao, what new series?, the isn't a new series, they only thing that has been mentioned about a new star trek tv series was that rumour going around in august last year about him pitching his idea to CBS, whoever, about a new series set post voyager/nemesis. Either way I would like to see a new star trek series.
    http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/television/star-trek-tv-series-planned-takes-place-voyager.html

http://www.denofgeek.com/television/1029374/is_a_new_star_trek_tv_series_in_development.html.

There is my proof, where is yours??
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    5 or 6 years ago CBS had a proposed animated series set in the 26th Century but that fell through.

Edit: Found a link: http://trekmovie.com/2006/12/13/cbs-considering-new-animated-trek-series/