test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why does the server need to be reset every day?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Oh boy it's down for one hour, guess it's because Cryptic hates you ...

There is a difference about complaining about that they are fixing stuff, and not enough content ...

I actually want to read the forums during downtime and not 500 Threads about who suffers the most during one hour downtime .... seriously go get something to eat, take a TRIBBLE, take a shower and come back

Only sucks if you're an Android :
    "Captain Jean-Luc Picard: How long a time? Lieutenant Commander Data: 0.68 seconds sir. For an android, that is nearly an eternity"

... it's just ONE hour ...
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    rinks361 wrote: »
    What other MMO's have daily restarts? I've played them all, Ultima, Everquest I & II, Aion, WoW, Rift, Planetside, Star Wars Galaxies, The Old Republic, The Matrix, Final Fantasy 11 and 14, DC Universe, Vanguard (just to name a few) and I've never experienced daily resets of the servers. Only time they were taken down were for bug fixes, patches, and server maintenance which occured on a few servers at a time.

Ummm... UO has had daily restarts since 1997 (Server wars anyone? ;) ). EQII has daily restarts. I could be mistaken, I think Aion had daily restarts when I played it. I'm pretty sure EQ1 had daily restarts. I'm pretty sure there are more out there also, especially in the Asian markets.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Zypher2011 wrote:
    That is not true at all.

Did all of those games have an F2P launch every week? No, exactly. STO is currently in a new state, a state that will change over time but a state that you cannot compare to other games unless they are currently going through the same thing.

Get a grip

So I guess Everquest II, Lord of the Rings and DC Universe Online also had daily restarts when they turned F2P? Oh wait...they didn't because I also play those games every day.

Get a clue. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Like so many have already said, and not just in this thread, daily restarts have been happening for lots of games. Particularly after a major update or expansion release. EVE Online to this day I think has a daily restart. SWG for a few years did the same. When they stopped, the issues went kind of rampant. Take the opportunity to clean your mom's basement, or mow the lawn, or wash the dog or even spend some quality time with the family.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Zypher2011 wrote:
    Get a grip

*hands Zypher a mirror*

Also check my sig.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Ummm... UO has had daily restarts since 1997 (Server wars anyone? ;) ). EQII has daily restarts. I could be mistaken, I think Aion had daily restarts when I played it. I'm pretty sure EQ1 had daily restarts.

And I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you're talking about.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Trek17 wrote:
    you know those server restarts are to make sure the servers actually stay upright with the influx of new players, right?

without it, there's massive issues

Let's have downtime and server restarts at 4pm USA time, they can put them back online for 5pm USA time when they leave the office... If you don't see a problem with them going offline during EU's prime time, let's change them to the USA prime time.

If you don't care when they're off, yet we do, then change it. That way everyone is happy eh...
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    What other MMO's have daily restarts? I've played them all, Ultima, Everquest I & II, Aion, WoW, Rift, Planetside, Star Wars Galaxies, The Old Republic, The Matrix, Final Fantasy 11 and 14, DC Universe, Vanguard (just to name a few) and I've never experienced daily resets of the servers. Only time they were taken down were for bug fixes, patches, and server maintenance which occured on a few servers at a time.

DCUO has resets in the morning, but the game isn't down for very long.
  • Options
    edited January 2012

He doesn't. Aion had many problems but daily restarts were not one.
    If you don't care when they're off, yet we do, then change it. That way everyone is happy eh...

+1
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    ***"We will be bringing down the shard for a restart on Sunday, January 22nd from 8:00AM to 9:00AM PST (1600 to 1700 UTC). We will provide an update when this is complete."****

Ummm.... ITS BEEN OVER AN HOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    ask4spock wrote: »
    ***"We will be bringing down the shard for a restart on Sunday, January 22nd from 8:00AM to 9:00AM PST (1600 to 1700 UTC). We will provide an update when this is complete."****

Ummm.... ITS BEEN OVER AN HOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Restart was delayed 15-20 minutes. They had to drink their morning coffees.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    STO Launcher says servers are down .
    STO website say servers are up .

Typical . ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2012

Ummm... UO has had daily restarts since 1997 (Server wars anyone? ;) ). EQII has daily restarts. I could be mistaken, I think Aion had daily restarts when I played it. I'm pretty sure EQ1 had daily restarts. I'm pretty sure there are more out there also, especially in the Asian markets.

Really? Yeah, I may be incorrect about some, as I stated. However... you are quite incorrect in your post.

Just a small quick search reveals the inaccuracies of your post:
    UO: https://help.ea.com/article/server-maintenance-schedule
    DCUO: http://soe-ing.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25308/kw/maintenance/related/1
    EVE: http://support.eveonline.com/Pages/KB/Article.aspx?id=25

Please, do research a bit.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Restart was delayed 15-20 minutes. They had to drink their morning coffees.

I wonder if the line of players all slamming into the game at once waiting for the servers to come back up has any effect on the server at all? It is the weekend, a lot of people don't have to work today...
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Let's have downtime and server restarts at 4pm USA time, they can put them back online for 5pm USA time when they leave the office... If you don't see a problem with them going offline during EU's prime time, let's change them to the USA prime time.

For a start off Mr arrogant, "prime time" is not 4pm...
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In the U.K., prime time (usually referred to as “peak time”) refers to the hours between 6 P.M. and 10:30 P.M.—which is the period in which the most popular shows are screened and the highest ratings are achieved. The hours between 6 P.M. and 8 P.M. are more popular with families, and, after that time, prime time television is mostly watched by an older demographic.
    Source

Also see this

Secondly, I also live in the UK and I have no issue with the server restart time, if your going to over react the way you are I think it's time you found some help, I can point you towards some good professional listeners who can help you work out your issues.

Also with the way you have been posting in multiple threads I think you should also see this link and refer back to my offer.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Yes it has been over an hour, 3 threads about it now, expect to see 4 more in the next 30 minutes? (if it is not up by then,):rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    DeWitt_LSF wrote:
    Like so many have already said, and not just in this thread, daily restarts have been happening for lots of games. Particularly after a major update or expansion release. EVE Online to this day I think has a daily restart. SWG for a few years did the same. When they stopped, the issues went kind of rampant. Take the opportunity to clean your mom's basement, or mow the lawn, or wash the dog or even spend some quality time with the family.

I don't think anyone is saying the servers don't need to be reset and bugs fixed.

The OP is saying it'll push ppl away. Specially, the people effected when it happens everyday during their prime time.

If you don't have a problem with the servers going offline as you can think of many other things to do. Let's change the downtime so it's during your prime time.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    jockey79 wrote: »

Source

Also see this

Secondly, I also live in the UK and I have no issue with the server restart time, if your going to over react the way you are I think it's time you found some help, I can point you towards some good professional listeners who can help you work out your issues.

Also with the way you have been posting in multiple threads I think you should also see this link and refer back to my offer.

You again with your insulting post, why is it you following me around the forums posting the same insults on my posts? Isn't this harassment?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    If you don't care when they're off, yet WE do, then change it. That way everyone is happy eh...

Who is WE, I'm European and I don't care ... just one hour after all ... and it's not EU primtime ... maybe Russian, Kazakh Primetime, don't see any Kazakhs complaining though :P
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    jockey79 wrote: »

Thanks for giving me a source that it's always prime time for me (6pm). I'll gladly take 4am maintenances so you can enjoy some 6pm ones too.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    As dictated by Nielsen Media Research, prime time is Monday-Saturday 8-11p & Sunday 7-11p (Relevant to your time zone).
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    You again with your insulting post, why is it you following me around the forums posting the same insults on my posts? Isn't this harassment?

same insults?? that's odd as I've only posted the above in this thread once.... yet again making yourself and your point of view more important than anything else.

And if you were not going round spouting YOUR OPINIONS as fact, then I'd not be able to show you up so easy. You stated in multiple threads 4pm is prime time.... guess what, your wrong, but I've only shown your wrong in this one.... happy to go into your rant posts in other threads and do the same again.

Oh and in relation to the other thread your spouting YOUR OPINION as fact again, my dinner still is not ready.... so much for, what was it you said... "most people have had dinner by now".. funny as most people I know don't have dinner until 5pm onwards.

So while I have the time, I will look up more information and post it in the other thread over what time "most" people have dinner in the UK.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Shouldn't you guys be playing the game now? Instead of wasting your precious "prime time" on the forums.
    Server has been up for over a half hour now at least.

We can all start this discussion yet again during tomorrows down time! ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Zypher2011 wrote:
    I think they are effecting the crowed how they are meant to effect the crowed, by ensuring the game is maintained and playable for the other 23 hours of the day!

Get a grip

No. This is incorrect. The daily server restarts to prevent server crashes would be nice except the underlying problem isn't being addressed. I would prefer they take the servers down for 12 hours if it meant when they came up we wouldn't have daily restarts.

Fix the problem, Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Thanks for giving me a source that it's always prime time for me (6pm). I'll gladly take 4am maintenances so you can enjoy some 6pm ones too.

Glad I could help, I love fact finding missions, they are so much fun :)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    CivilPhil wrote:
    would you rather that they NOT fix the problems on a daily basis? I like it when people fix problems quickly.

You do know they don't actually fix anything most of the time?

Basically its just a quick on/off
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Having come from an EVE Online background (in particular) where daily restarts were standard (and still are) this doesn't phase me much. However, EVE had significant reasons for those restarts beyond simple server stability. Many game mechanics revolve around the occurance of those restarts, unlike STO. CCP has since worked very hard to reduce the time these maintenance periods take, I think they are down to around 15 minutes these days - a marked improvement on the old hour +.

It does give a bad impression to new people to see daily restarts, especially in their hours of play. I'd be interested to know exactly what the restarts are correcting - is it simply a case of cleaning out bugged instance maps that didn't close, resetting NPCs (Quinn on his desk)... I mean what IS it? We know the 19 hour lockouts on missions don't require a restart.

Hopefully we'll see these trail off drastically in the weeks ahead. I assume they are picking the times that the least people play (even though that may still be a sizable number).

But for now, best arrange to grab a coffee hour and read a good book and recognize that the two dozen people working on STO are doing their damnedest to address this.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Dresnik wrote:

We can all start this discussion yet again during tomorrows down time! ;)

LMAO

can I steal this for my sig please? :D
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Thutmosis wrote:
    Who is WE, I'm European and I don't care ... just one hour after all ... and it's not EU primtime ... maybe Russian, Kazakh Primetime, don't see any Kazakhs complaining though :P

LOL, I doubt a european would have said 'Kazakhs' looool
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Oh no 1 hour you guys cant play on the computer big whoop!!

and before you start flaming me im a lifer and i live in the UK, 1 hour downtime is better than the 8 hours i get on my day off for TOR, prespective is a good thing sometimes.....

Plus i'd rather it was done now than next month when they release the new featured series...........
This discussion has been closed.