Install Arc
Options

Free-to-Play Launch Party

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    But if the majority of our players were Lithuanian, you'd see maintenance windows likely fit their schedule more.

Question, Out of curiosity why did you choose that particular nationality?

I ask because I am in part Lithuanian on my mother's side, I so rarely hear it given as an example. I was wondering if perhaps we might share a common family culture.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Nope, sorry, just the first thing to pop into my taco.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    Nope, sorry, just the first thing to pop into my taco.

... Lithuanian... the first thing that popped into your head was Lithuanian?...
    really?...
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I like the way the word sounds - it flows ... .Lithuanian....

:)

Oh - boot polish, knee pads

AND A HOR'GAHN!! :eek::D
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Boot Polish, kneepads and a Hor'gahn. . . ? :confused:
    . . . I'm not sure you guys are quite grasping what the duties of an environment artist are. . .
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    krazzed wrote: »
    Perfect times for all you guys and girls in America!

Shame some of your subscribers/players actually live in different parts of the world.

Another event missed because of your complete lack of understanding the world clock

Well, the game IS hosted in the US. There is no universally acceptable time. What's right for us, is wrong for you, and what's right for you is wrong for us. Doesn't matter what time they held it, someone would be ****y. So they did what was the best for all: They held it at the best time for the majority of their subscribers/players, which is in the US.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    TerilynnS wrote: »
    I pondered quite a bit before determining what hours *I* would be able to take from *MY* day in order to livestream these events and work with Cryptic during working hours

This has nothing to do with maintenance. It has everything to so with what *I* am personally capbable of doing and trying to put together a party to celebrate and welcome in players from around the world.

It has nothing to do with international whatever - It seriously only has my refusal to wake up at 1:00 am so I can do my real job before I undertake livestreaming some fun little events and tutorials.

Again - this is a party! -- Being hosted by Massively and I'm the Massively rep. I apologize that our editorial rule is to list times in EST - but that's just how it is.

I told Brandon when I could do this. Brandon worked around it.

I have nothing against my European co-players, but I just couldn't do anything else. I'm already taking a half day off work in order to do this.

Which is all very reasonable. Yet, it's just another layer, ultimately from those across the pond, that imply we're second class subscribers.

Its not that I do not understand the complexities involved with running comps & events. What I do have a priblem with is never compensating your other players (im not talking about massively here) outside North America, when the realisation hits that whatever cant be done internationally. If this game were totally free id have less a problem with it. But, when youre charging almost double that an American would, for your other subscribers... Then yeah I take issue with that. Because its not fair. If youre willing to take money from STO fans outside the U.S, I believe it is your duty to provide near equal service for all. In whatever way possible. I dont believe thats an unreasonable position.

put it this way, now that weve established nothing was offered to compensate Europeans for their exclusion in the design the future Enterprise competition.. When was the last time a competition or an event was held for your European subscribers/players? Partners or Cryptic?

Thanks for the response from the Cryptic dev, sorry i havent replied to your post yet. Im on my phone! :)

Im not asking for the world here guys, but a bit more consideration wouldnt hurt. Judging by some of the responses from other Europeans in this thread so far, im not the only one. I ask you take these points on board and think about us when you come up with these things. It may be more convenient to shaft us on alot of things because we're a minority. But ask yourselves this; If our roles were reversed. Wouldnt you be as passionate about this as I?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Which is all very reasonable. Yet, it's just another layer, ultimately from those across the pond, that imply we're second class subscribers.

Its not that I do not understand the complexities involved with running comps & events. What I do have a priblem with is never compensating your other players (im not talking about massively here) outside North America, when the realisation hits that whatever cant be done internationally. If this was game were totally free id have less a problem with it. But, when youre charging almost double that an American would, for your other subscribers... Then yeah I take issue with that. Because its not fair. If youre willing to take money from STO fans outside the U.S, I believe it is your duty to provide near equal service for all. In whatever is possible. I dont believe thats an unreasonable position.

put it this way, now that we all established nothing was offered to compensate Europeans for their exclusion in the design the future Enterprise competition.. When wss the last time a competition or an event was held for European subscriberd/players?

Thanks for the response from the Cryptic dev, sorry i havent replied to your post yet. Im on my phone! :)

It is likely that there have never been any contests strictly for countries other than the US. Why? The same reasons that are stated above. Different countries (Even different states in the US, just FYI) have rules about contests. Certain things can't be awarded, only certain ages qualify, etc. Other countries are not being penalized for being other countries, there is just very little that can be done about it.

Let's say that Cryptic (Or PWE, whoever), decided to offer a replica of the USS Enterprise as a contest award. You win. The country you live in charges a fee for importing things from other countries, and Cryptic (Or PWE) won't pay it, so they tell you that you have to, or you don't get your item. You get mad, and sue the company, saying it shouldn't cost you anything. Big mess for you, big mess for Cryptic (PWE). Or, as it happens, the item is illegal (for whatever reasons) and your Customs officials confiscate it.

Or, you might be 18. In the US, that means you are eligible for contests and a lot of other things, such as sexual activity, smoking, etc. That doesn't mean that the age of adulthood in your country isn't 21, or 20. In Japan ( I know this for a fact), you have to be 20 in order to be considered an adult. So an 18 year old Japanese guy (or gal) who plays STO cannot enter the contests. Is that Cryptic's fault?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    It is likely that there have never been any contests strictly for countries other than the US. Why? The same reasons that are stated above. Different countries (Even different states in the US, just FYI) have rules about contests. Certain things can't be awarded, only certain ages qualify, etc. Other countries are not being penalized for being other countries, there is just very little that can be done about it.

Let's say that Cryptic (Or PWE, whoever), decided to offer a replica of the USS Enterprise as a contest award. You win. The country you live in charges a fee for importing things from other countries, and Cryptic (Or PWE) won't pay it, so they tell you that you have to, or you don't get your item. You get mad, and sue the company, saying it shouldn't cost you anything. Big mess for you, big mess for Cryptic (PWE). Or, as it happens, the item is illegal (for whatever reasons) and your Customs officials confiscate it.

Or, you might be 18. In the US, that means you are eligible for contests and a lot of other things, such as sexual activity, smoking, etc. That doesn't mean that the age of adulthood in your country isn't 21, or 20. In Japan ( I know this for a fact), you have to be 20 in order to be considered an adult. So an 18 year old Japanese guy (or gal) who plays STO cannot enter the contests. Is that Cryptic's fault?

Im not talking necessarily about monetary or tax deductable payments as a reward for participating in a contest. I jusr meant ANY contest that had Europeans in the forefront of their mind. Its not so much about the reward as such for me personally. Its about inclusion. I would have happily forfeited any reward given if it meant i had a shot at seeing my design of the Enterprise in game.

Also, as far as I know the E.U has legislation concerning contests and the E.U has quite a few European states. Id have to look that up to be 100% certain though.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Im not talking necessarily about monetary or tax deductable payments as a reward for participating in a contest. I jusr meant ANY contest that had Europeans in the forefront of their mind. Its not so much about the reward as such for me personally. Its about inclusion. I would have happily forfeited any reward given if it meant i had a shot at seeing my design of the Enterprise in game.

Also, as far as I know the E.U has legislation concerning contests and the E.U has quite a few European states. Id have to look that up to be 100% certain though.

The other part of it is that if STO offered a "Europeans Only" contest, the American subscribers would freak out. Not me, since I don't enter any of them anyway, but you can see what would happen. A game (or any business, for that matter) does its best to satisfy the bulk of their customers. The rest just kinda miss out. It does suck, I agree.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    The other part of it is that if STO offered a "Europeans Only" contest, the American subscribers would freak out. Not me, since I don't enter any of them anyway, but you can see what would happen. A game (or any business, for that matter) does its best to satisfy the bulk of their customers. The rest just kinda miss out. It does suck, I agree.

In terms of "Europeans only" contest, that's ONLY in context of a simultaneous contects that is occuring for North Americans.

I wouldn't be supportive otherwise. If that makes sense :).

But seeing as you said about Americans freaking out about that kind of context, you now know how it felt as a European being excluded from DtfE.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    In terms of "Europeans only" contest, that's ONLY in context of a simultaneous contects that is occuring for North Americans.

I wouldn't be supportive otherwise. If that makes sense :).

But seeing as you said about Americans freaking out about that kind of context, you now know how it felt as a European being excluded from DtfE.

I never said I didn't understand, I do. It's just an unfortunate legality. More evidence of how 'Politics rule the World.'

And yes, it does make sense. :D
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I never said I didn't understand, I do. It's just an unfortunate legality. More evidence of how 'Politics rule the World.'

And yes, it does make sense. :D

Cool, no worries mateys. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Well, if fleet E-Mail wasn't on the fritz right now, I could actually mail my fleet's membership and tell them about this. :mad:
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I'm not sure how a costume party would work for us KDF people the only special costumes are the academy and the coveted KHG MXII everyone wants that only a few ppl have so far. Not unless some slew of new costumes are going to be added right before the event LOL.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Zeuxidemus wrote:
    I'm not sure how a costume party would work for us KDF people the only special costumes are the academy and the coveted KHG MXII everyone wants that only a few ppl have so far. Not unless some slew of new costumes are going to be added right before the event LOL.

PSST the KDF is not a real faction. Never has been and after 700 days it clear it not important to Cryptic either. After all they pump out large amount stuff for federation. Next to nothing for KDF. I doubt that ever change. I am shock we getting a KDF flagship, but who know it has not been release yet and psat tells it may end up cutting board along with the following

Reworked Federation mission for the KDF
    KDF Starting at level 1.
    KDF turtiol.
    KDF Maurder system? That took mere 522 days to add to game after Diplomatic Corps was added.
    It took 155 after ESD was redone for the KDF to get First city reworked which was in worse shape but had to wait longer
    It took 175 days to get the wooping 8 KDF missions into the game from launch. Since then we gotten ZIP in missions. Correct we did get 3 patrol missions. So 11 mission in 700 plus days

Uniform in 700 days? 3. On c-store and 2 super grinds.

So year I am not shock that there still not thinking of KDF. They never do.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Ozy-

While I commiserate with your feelings about being snubbed as a European player because there are standard working hours here in the US that most companies must adhere to by law ...

... this is a thread about the Massively party. I would humbly suggest taking your complaint to the appropriate feedback threads.

You have a complete right to how you feel - but your expressions of those feelings need to be voiced in the appropriate forum.

I sincerely appreciate it. I was feeling bashed on because I arranged this to fit within my personal life and your comments felt wholly unfair.

Be that as it may - the majority of these event DO take place during GMT prime time do they not? I mean, if they start at 11:00 am for me (right smack in the middle of my work day) don't they begin at 6:00 PM in GMT? I am -7. So they begin at 6:00 pm and got through the whole evening for you....

So really - what's the deal here? I thought people in the GMT zone would be happy - :(

I am utterly confused....
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    A question, is the giveaway for points going to be available for people purely ingame? Or is that livestream only?

Also, with costume contest, how will it be judged? I've heard of some that claim to be completely neutral and a person with new account is just as likely to win as somebody who has been in the game from the start (other games), but ends up being the high level character with that special look (crafted or looted) wins and those low level/people with not as many options get ignored.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    WOOPS.. Knew I shouldn't have looked at this thread..

and I just deleated several paragraphs of wall 'o text.

Cryptic Crew rest well today. You have a final fit and polish hump day tomorrow. I actually do hope that it all works for the best. I hope that Tuesday is both rewarding and fun, and that its so distracting to all of you that really no work gets done around the shop other the what absolutly needs be done. I hope that your able to take part in the festivities aand activities as participants on your avatars. That includes Mister D'Angelo... *wee bit o' stink eye* SO have fun, and best wishes.

>>>>>>>>>>> Optional ratting <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< (not a typo)

Over the last several months a whole slew of features have been added to the game.. but no content. Please no arguments.. what we out here call content is missions. Changes to the game engine and skills, DOFF's New Ship. Remastered mission, revamps of zones, added and refined artwork.. these are all features. We have had NO actuall NEW content since the release of the Romulan/Reman FE. DOFF are kinda of content, but in reality its a game feature. It does add to the game. but if it were not there the game would still be playable. It is something that players do but it a hybrid of feature and content. And a really nice one.. Really should get some industry wide recognition for it as unique and game changing. I don't think there has even been anything quite like STO's DOFF system. But fun as it is...its not missions the player perform, and thats what we out here with money in our pocket call "Content". The customer has spoken. Stop trying to redifine what we call content. You will fail, and we will be angry.. Please to remember who has the money you want. Angry customer bad. Angry customer not spend money. Very basic. Don't make us have the Q talk to you.

So in theory your going to get a boost in income...for about a month is my guess. After that its gonna peter off. Umm let me restste that. It's gonna jump off a cliff. In one months time F2P players will be in endgame level caped grindage of STF's. Some will be there much much sooner. Especially any returning players and of course gamer overachivers..I expect to see some F2P never played STO before slap end game by the weekend simply because there is just not THAT much content. By next week the word will star making its way around the net.. and the number one comment I predict will be "Oh yea its a fun game but they dont have vey much content..."

Content is what drives micro transactions. Content is what turns free players into subscribers. Without content STO is going to be doomed. 2 FE's this year and a full on reavmp of the KDF faction is really an absolute minimum, and......... its insufficient. FE's are a series of missions. I suggest you consider the concept of the FM. The Featured MIssion. Entirely stand alone. Not part of an arc. Uses no new artwork and does not require new assets be created.. Does not use voice over. Receieved during its week from Admiral Quinn or the Chancellor. Perhapes two versions.. The Federation version, and the Klingon version of the same mission. Iff you want to call it anything.. call it the War Stories Arc. There is supposed to be an ongoing war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire is there not? The mission story doesn't have to be epic, it just has to work. And there can be a third version of the mission if you do it right. The PvP mission with specific objectives for both sides in the mission. It might be a ground of a pace mission.. Protect or destroy an objective for X amount of time. Take and hold a location/facility for X amount of time. Balance the mission by sing the same "raise the level" you use in PvE DSE's with the addition of AI allies if you have a bunch of geared out VA/LtG's facing a pack of lower ranks. Just KISS. Either way Cryptic Studio's needs to start cranking out very regular content within 30 to 60 days or its gonna loose the opportunity. Even if its only every other week you really must do it. MIssions are a vehichle for the players imagination. My characters(s) story is thier own. The game is just a framework where that story plays out. Sometime you guys try to do to much. Hell most of the time you try to do to much and end up settig impossible to achive goals for your selves as a studio. Just look back over the last 2 years and tell me I am wrong. And because of it contet has never gotten finished and delivered into the game.

A typ[ical television soap opera on day time TV doesn't have a crew much bigger then the development team for STO at cryptic studio's. They're larger now then they were in the 70's. but many of them had a total cast and crew of maybe 40 people. And they didn't produce a show per week. They produced a show PER DAY. 260 shows per year, every year, 5 days a week. And some of the shows had utterly superb writing and acting. Look up a show called "Dark Shadows" about a vampire in a small town who was not a bad guy.. decades before Sanctuary.. Most of the crew on that TV Soap is acting talent. a team of 3 to 5 writers, a single cameraman, a director, a propmaster and a couple gaffers. a lighting man, a sound man, and they shot these LIVE in the 60's and 70's. One take, direct to video.

Thats the sort of production generation Cryptic needs. I hope you folks realize this and can figure out a way to make it happen.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    A question, is the giveaway for points going to be available for people purely ingame? Or is that livestream only?

Also, with costume contest, how will it be judged? I've heard of some that claim to be completely neutral and a person with new account is just as likely to win as somebody who has been in the game from the start (other games), but ends up being the high level character with that special look (crafted or looted) wins and those low level/people with not as many options get ignored.

The giveaways during our livestream will be for those who listen in during our livestream events and can utilize our chat feature.

As for the costume events I cannot actually say, as I believe Trek Radio is co-hosting those. Maybe Brandon will have more info on it ...

I will be involved and am brewing up my trivia questions though... so be prepared.
  • Options
    edited January 2012

The giveaways during our livestream will be for those who listen in during our livestream events and can utilize our chat feature.

As for the costume events I cannot actually say, as I believe Trek Radio is co-hosting those. Maybe Brandon will have more info on it ...

I will be involved and am brewing up my trivia questions though... so be prepared.

So... log into chat channel and be in your livestream? Trying to figure out how those character creation giveaways might work, as well helping somebody be sure they have a shot at the promo points for their new account :).
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I definitely will not be their. I will not support a relaunch of a game that is incomplete still after two years. As a lifetime member since close beta I have not seen much to give me hope over the past year. I do not have faith in management at Cryptic nor PW. Making the same mistake twice rubs me the wrong way.

Every time D'Angelo says anything the outlook looks more bleak for STO. If I was not a lifetime member I would not subscribe.

I do hope STO does get a new PE soon because I want the game to succeed, but without a PE that has passion and enthusiasm for the game in my opinion there is no hope.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Im throwing a F2P celebration party monday night at quarks if anyone wants to come. I should be there by around 9pm eastern or sooner. Everyone is welcome to come.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    So... log into chat channel and be in your livestream? Trying to figure out how those character creation giveaways might work, as well helping somebody be sure they have a shot at the promo points for their new account :).

Here: http://www.twitch.tv/massivelytv#r=-rid-&s=em

This is the link to the Twitch channel for Massively. This is where you can watch the livestreams of the character creation tutorials, etc. There is a Chat Channel on the side - THAT's the chat I'm talking about.

Sorry that it's unclear. :(
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I thought it said f2p Lunch Party

om nom.
  • Options
    edited January 2012

om nom.

I would have brought a pie. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2012

om nom.
    I would have brought a pie. ;)

I can replicate the first rounds of wine! We should a luncheon!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    KingShip wrote:
    is that the Vesta class starship i see in the picture for this post orbiting ds9? I hope that means were final going to be able to get a Vesta class ship! YAY

I wish...Vesta-class would be awesome. Or Achilles-class.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    PLEASE NOTE:

AGAIN

The livestream link is here and in the original article...

http://massively.joystiq.com/livestream
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Quite sad that it takes a 3rd party to run a F2P even t:rolleyes:. I'd dust of my old Starship but I will be to busy playing that other game ;)