What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Doffs for Doofuses

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    I have an object question. I procured two prototype schematics from espionage missions.

How do I craft with them?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    They're shipboard missions. It seems like they'll become available the next reset after you get them, but only show up if the schematic is in your inventory. You'll need several doffs (one of which is a Maintenance Engineer, which I don't have so I haven't been able to actually do the crafting), and a few different commodities.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    bargamer wrote: »
    Just wanted to add this here:

As you do more and more Doff missions, you eventually start getting free Doffs from Lt Ferra, who can be found at SFA. I came up against a bug where if you have 5/5 Doffs in either Space or Ground, you're unable to "buy" your Doff from her. "Not enough room," or some ridiculousness. Just clear up a slot by sending one back into the reserves, and viola, you can buy the Doff again!
    This seems to be a side-effect of the fact that the reward DOFFs "auto-slot" into either ground or space duty; I don't know if this is intended or not. I assumed it was intended as a way to force bind-on-pickup behavior for the reward DOFFs.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Heezdedjim wrote:
    This seems to be a side-effect of the fact that the reward DOFFs "auto-slot" into either ground or space duty; I don't know if this is intended or not. I assumed it was intended as a way to force bind-on-pickup behavior for the reward DOFFs.

Hopefully it's intended as a kludge until they work out doff binding. The way it is now, it also happens when buying doffs on the exchange (which isn't fully supported and is a bit kludgey in general itself).
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    hevach wrote: »
    Hopefully it's intended as a kludge until they work out doff binding. The way it is now, it also happens when buying doffs on the exchange (which isn't fully supported and is a bit kludgey in general itself).
    Ewwww. That is unfortunate indeed. I have to think this will work more sensibly once it's all worked out.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Heezdedjim wrote:
    Ewwww. That is unfortunate indeed. I have to think this will work more sensibly once it's all worked out.

I'm pretty sure it will. Right now, the exchange lets you post doffs, but there is no doff section to find them - the only way to find one that was posted is to specifically search by name. It works to transfer between characters or a pre-arranged trade, but not for any actual economy.

Edit: Some nice changes in today's Tribble patch. I'll try to get in over the weekend and update the guide to reflect them. Some tidbits offhand:

Sounds like they've gotten rid of the "disaster" result on bridge officer recruitment, so those missions will always give at least a green officer. Not clear if this will increase the blue/purple chance, but it'll be a huge boon to efficient saurian hunters. Also adding EC and dilithium (assuming ore) to most assignments, which is a nice touch considering the sheer volume of EC you can burn through in this system.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    its not quite 30 days yet so I cant be charged for Necroing :D This is VERY Helpful! and wanted to say thank you for this.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Only been 23 days, not meaning to bump this, but I just finished the first pass in a rewrite since so little of the system survived the last month of patches unchanged. With the early December launch looming, I'm assuming the system is close enough to its final state that it wouldn't be wasted work like my first rewrite. Anyway, just asking for a little hand for anyone who catches anything I missed. I still have a lot to get up to date if the guide is going to be any use come F2P.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Silly question right here (seeing as I've been on Tribble for weeks now) but how do you know which of your Doffs are any good?

And how do you get rid of the ones you don't want? I see there are "reassignment" missions (which say that they permanently remove Doffs) but how do I know which ones to get rid of, and which ones to keep?

Sincerely,

- Clueless :p
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Quality is the easy one to judge on - in general, if you have white officers, don't reassign green ones. White officers can die, have weak active roster powers, and the lowest impact on the outcome percents.

The system I've used is to look at the full roster one specialization at a time. Any white spec that I have multiples of, the extras get reassigned. Any spec that I have a good set of greens, all the whites get reassigned. I keep myself around 94-95 doffs, which leaves enough room to open a cadre (5 for standard recruitment, 6 for C-store).

Traits are a bit more complicated. Every trait can be good for some assignments, but some are better than others - a few are never or almost never negative (efficient, diplomatic, telepathic), and some are more often negative than positive (stubborn, aggressive, emotional). Sometimes it's combined with their specialization - an unscrupulous medical officer can cause problems - most medical assignments that require commodities have unscrupulous as a negative, but an unscrupulous trader is always a plus, and an emotional science officer will hit far more negatives than an emotional counselor.

Doffs are entirely face-value. They don't level, and past failures don't have an effect on future success.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Great, thanks for the answer. :)

I guess I was slightly confused at how 'quality' and 'rarity' seemed to differ at first, but now they're the same(?)

For example, I used to have a couple of Rare or Very Rare white Doffs, which seemed a tad confusing. Lately though I've noticed that the "uncommon", "rare" and "very rare" descriptions seem to have disappeared, and now they only have a colour.

Does the colour of the Doff affect how many traits they have? Some seem to have more traits than others, but I've not really noticed a correlation between the number of traits, or the type of traits, and the colour...

Thanks for the advice about reassigning them though. It might take me a while to go through all mine, but it'll be worth it I think.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    There's still technically a difference between rarity and quality with doffs, but they hid that because it only caused confusion. It's still handled internally - you get more Fed humans and KDF Klingons than any other race - but it's hidden from players now.

Color doesn't seem to directly affect how many traits they have, but it does seem to affect traits to some extent. I've seen more trait variation for blue and purple doffs of the same race than with white or green ones. BUT, my observations could be distorted. All of the purple doffs and a large chunk of the blue ones I've seen are commendation rewards, STF rewards, or special doffs like the El-Aurian or colonial renowns. Those doffs are mostly hand-made (and to quote Borticus, intended to be generally superior), where standard ones from normal recruiting and C-store packs were randomly generated.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Also, in addition to using the "Reassign Officers" mission, you can just dismiss any officer at any time from the roster. You get nothing for it and can't reclaim the DOff, so unless your inventory is full of officer packs or you need 1 more slot immediately, there isn't much use for it.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    ranatalus wrote: »
    Also, in addition to using the "Reassign Officers" mission, you can just dismiss any officer at any time from the roster. You get nothing for it and can't reclaim the DOff, so unless your inventory is full of officer packs or you need 1 more slot immediately, there isn't much use for it.

I should note that we are changing this; the Reassignment assignments are going away, and you will get a lesser (since there is no assignment lockout) Dilithium and Recruitment CXP reward every time you Dismiss any duty officer.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Heretic wrote:
    I should note that we are changing this; the Reassignment assignments are going away, and you will get a lesser (since there is no assignment lockout) Dilithium and Recruitment CXP reward every time you Dismiss any duty officer.

This is awesome! much better and easier then the reassignment assignment!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Heretic wrote:

I HOPE the "Execute For Incompetence" assignment is staying for the KDF?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Armsman wrote: »

Absolutely. Executing a KDF bartender for incompetence is just too much fun to lose.

Gym "I said 'shaken, not stirred' you bumbling petaQ!!" Quirk
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Armsman wrote: »

Interesting you mention this.

While testing the functionality this morning, I found the UI programmer had made the prompt for "Dismiss" for an officer on the KDF side to read: "Do you want to execute this officer for incompetence?"

I am debating whether to pull the regular execute assignment and leave this as the only way to dismiss crewmen from Klingon ships, or have him change the text... :cool:
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Heretic wrote:

While testing the functionality this morning, I found the UI programmer had made the prompt for "Dismiss" for an officer on the KDF side to read: "Do you want to execute this officer for incompetence?"

I am debating whether to pull the regular execute assignment and leave this as the only way to dismiss crewmen from Klingon ships, or have him change the text... :cool:

I figure you should make the make the process uniform for both factions but leave the flavor text the UI guy put in. My klink still gets to maintain discipline, but he doesn't suffer a cooldown (mision time) on serving up the tough love.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Heretic wrote:

Depends on what rating youre going for for the new built? ;P
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Heretic wrote:

I think both add flavour...maybe the assignment could become something with a slightly different flavour. Both are amusing.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Heretic wrote:

I'd like to point out that the Execute for Incomepetence assignment is a Development one (in my opinion even the best cxp rewarding one). So I vote for a good old fashioned whipping of the bloodthirsty UI programmer. :o
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I used the Doff system to max out my toons on tribble and still found the write up to hit on points I missed out on. Thanks for this OP, I expect it help out quite a few folks when the updated gets rolled out in Dec.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Heretic wrote:

I vote for leave this in and add a new DOff mission.

"Put down low decks mutiny"

- Raith
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Heretic wrote:

Either way works for me ;) - I just want to know I get to sebnd said odfficer to Stovokor one way or the other via execution.:D:eek:
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Heretic wrote:

Oh please keep it!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Personally, I say turn the dismiss button into reassignment for KDF, and keep the execution assignment. If I remember what I read right, with the change dismiss gives Recruitment CXP, but currently execution I believe gives development.

The Klingons don't execute everyone - Alexander got bounced around ships that didn't want him, none of them decided he was quite bad enough to kill off.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Did we ever find the cheap KDF Commodities? I don't see them on the main page.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did not see this one in the Guide, so here goes.

On Occasion, I will do a mission, Recruitment? that offers me a Pop Up Store to select a DOFF from.

Is there anyway to Re-Open That Store page? Doff's of every category are in it for 1 Unit of pay.

I looked around ESD for an officer to get them from, but saw none.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did not see this one in the Guide, so here goes.

On Occasion, I will do a mission, Recruitment? that offers me a Pop Up Store to select a DOFF from.

Is there anyway to Re-Open That Store page? Doff's of every category are in it for 1 Unit of pay.

I looked around ESD for an officer to get them from, but saw none.

Check the academy in the door on the opposite side from the 602 club. (Right upon entering the main building).