test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Doffs for Doofuses

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Scruffy31 wrote: »
    Check the academy in the door on the opposite side from the 602 club. (Right upon entering the main building).

Thanks I will look for it when I get back to ESD.
    edited December 2011
    Scruffy31 wrote: »
    Check the academy in the door on the opposite side from the 602 club. (Right upon entering the main building).

Thanks, I Found him On the Right Side inside the door to the Office.
    edited December 2011
    macallen wrote: »
    Did we ever find the cheap KDF Commodities? I don't see them on the main page.

We didn't. I think the commodity cheat sheet somebody posted had it, if I had the link I'd probably just link to that.

I read that a recent patch on tribble got rid of the extra cheap commodities, though, so now any non-Ferengi vendor is pretty much the default good price.
    edited December 2011
    When one stocks up on commodities for doff missions, do those items stack in the cargo bay, or do they take up space in the inventory?
    edited December 2011
    Quark_Kent wrote: »
    When one stocks up on commodities for doff missions, do those items stack in the cargo bay, or do they take up space in the inventory?

Either, but put them in your bank, they'll be pulled from there.
    edited December 2011
    Excellent, thanks very much for the quick reply. :)
    edited December 2011
    The cargo bay isn't actually a storage area, it just shows how much stuff you have available, combining your inventory and bank. The items have to take up space in one or the other to show up in the cargo bay tab.
    edited December 2011
    hevach wrote: »
    The cargo bay isn't actually a storage area, it just shows how much stuff you have available, combining your inventory and bank. The items have to take up space in one or the other to show up in the cargo bay tab.

Aha, valuable clarification. Thanks very much for that. :)
    edited December 2011
    Well, that sure cleared up a few things for me :-)
    edited December 2011
    Do DOFF powers stack? That is, if I have more than one grenade DOFF in the ground section does that double my chance for a quicker recharge?
    edited December 2011
    Do DOFF powers stack? That is, if I have more than one grenade DOFF in the ground section does that double my chance for a quicker recharge?

I seem to recall that the Doffs 101 sticky post said that they either didn't stack, or that the stacking effect was minimized. I got the impression that it wasn't supposed to be worth it.

That being said, my memory could certainly be wrong and you'd be well-advised not to rely on it. :)
    edited December 2011

They stack.

The limitation to keep this from getting out of control is to limit how many of any particular specialization you can have slotted at once, which is why certain specializations only allow one guy from a specialization to be slotted at a time.

The limit, btw, is either 1 or 3, depending on the specialization.

This can actually have some interesting side effects, however, as some of the handcrafted super-rare duty officers are still counted as being a particular specialization for slotting and assignment purposes, but may actually have a different power.
    edited December 2011
    Can I only buy Doffs for Delithium if I have leveled up in that skill? I'm at the Doff guy on earth and I can only seem to buy Diplo Doffs of the same level I have already earned.

I'm not sure if there is another place I can buy doffs for delithium
    edited December 2011
    Kingdox wrote: »
    Can I only buy Doffs for Delithium if I have leveled up in that skill? I'm at the Doff guy on earth and I can only seem to buy Diplo Doffs of the same level I have already earned.

I'm not sure if there is another place I can buy doffs for delithium
    That's correct -- you can only use Dilithium to purchase DOFFs if you've unlocked that rank (i.e., 1, 2, 3 or 4) in that area of specialization (i.e., Medical, Colonial, etc.).
    edited December 2011
    I just want to say how much I am enjoying the DOFF system and that I am equally pleased that I don't need to keep an eye on it all the time. Last night before logging off and going to bed I left my DOFF going with 20 assignments...this morning I woke up to find that 12 of them had been completed successfully with awards aplenty. Brilliant! This is an awesome addition to the gameplay! Woohoo for Season 5! :cool:
    edited December 2011
    Gotta say I am loving the new doff system. Stupid question though. I've noticed all the Diplomacy doffs I can buy are cross faction. I supose I understand why but is there anyway (Short of the exchange) to get same faction diplomats?

I just don't think my crew will open up to a Nausscian councelor!
    edited December 2011
    Eisenmerc wrote: »
    Gotta say I am loving the new doff system. Stupid question though. I've noticed all the Diplomacy doffs I can buy are cross faction. I supose I understand why but is there anyway (Short of the exchange) to get same faction diplomats?

I just don't think my crew will open up to a Nausscian councelor!

I believe that there are all types of doffs in each category. I believe I've seen federation purple diplos in other tabs. Of course, I think your going about it all wrong. My crew inexplicably loves my Orion female counselor. Morale is up 150%!

:cool:
    edited December 2011
    Standard recruitment only gives your faction's races, so there's that. There's counselors in other commendations. I think medical and one other? Once you get tiered up in those you can clean house on greens for cheap dilithium.

RP aside, race doesn't actually seem to do anything. Though I'm sure that's not what you're worrying about. Seriously, a Nausicaan counselor? I can see it working on a KDF ship where counseling involves pain sticks and ridicule, but... I just see mine saying "Hew-mon play dom jot." every time I slot him for something.

I just want to emphasize something Heretic and Borticus both said: The commendation reward doffs were hand made, not randomized like the thousands of standard doffs. That Nausicaan was intentional.

I noticed that they made the commendation doffs unique now. It's still a really good way to beef up your roster, but you can't just drop a million dilithium and fill up on purples. A few tier ones and you can fill up on greens pretty well, though.
    edited December 2011
    Hey! nice tuto lots of work in there i like what u do guys !but it's also big hum did u make one tuto abouth how to select a new pack of duty officer? just dont seem to work the way i see it, i just dont get the ability i chose for my new pack can you tel me (if there is a tuto abouth it)where it is ,or if you can tel me more abouth how to select them whit the specific quality i need,, Thats becose when i select a mission i dont have the officer whit the right quuality :(
    edited December 2011
    You can't select anything about the doffs you get, whether it's from a C-store pack or in-system recruitment. The filters at the top of Request Duty Officers work the same way as the ones at the top of your duty officer list - they only filter what you see, not what you're getting.
    edited December 2011
    ho ok so that's something to change , why they give mission if u dont have the perssonnel to do it?
    edited December 2011
    Very few assignments require strict matching - it may be better to match more closely but rarely necessary (and often better to just use a higher qualitiy doff instead of matching).

For the ones that do, just keep this rule in mind: Aside from Security Officer and Doctor/Nurse taken together, you don't generally need more than 2 of any given specialization, and you can cut that down to one for chefs, entertainers, and bartenders. If you're already an ambassador, you can cut those three out entirely and diplomats and adivsors down to one (2's still usable but they'll be idle more). Once you hit 90 doffs, dismiss excess and keep 6 free slots for recruitment.

When you've got less doffs starting out, recruitment is your priority - don't worry about assignments you can't do yet, just keep the ones you do have busy with what you can do.

There is one exception: If you see an assignment that requires an EMH, those have been pulled for a redesign... The assignments are there but the doffs aren't. Caveat: One person managed to find one somehow, but they're not supposed to be there.
    edited December 2011
    ho ok so that's something to change , why they give mission if u dont have the perssonnel to do it?

Everyone gets the same missions in each system/sector/shipboard. Well that is not totally true, if you finish a mission you are able to get others. There are a few reasons that you can't do a mission.

Either you don't have the right items (ie. medical supplies) you don't have enough Assignment points or you don't have the right DOFF. This limits you at first but as you achieve missions and gain levels you are given Green DOFFs that you can chose depending on what you are missing. If you don't like the DOFFs that they select for you then you can choose your own DOFF based on their skills and abilities.
    Just like in real Star Trek if you send down a red-shirt to do a blue shirt job then you are risking his life and in the case of a red-shirt, more importantly you are risking the mission ;)
    Heretic wrote:
    Assignments
    Assignments represent both on-board and off-board appointments of personnel (usually) and commodities (sometimes) or other resources. All assignments take differing amounts of time before they are completed; the time can range from as little as a few minutes to as long as a week - rewards scale, but shorter completion times are weighted more heavily, since they require more player management time.

Assignments complete in the background; set your duty officers to work on them, go shoot things, consider another assignment, or go offline and read a book and the assignment will continue to plug away. When the assignment is complete, you will check the roster and view the results.

Assignments may have requirements (e.g., these two slots on the assignment may only be filled by engineers) and may also have modifiers (e.g., this slot gives you a better chance of success if it is filled by an Andorian or a duty officer with the Trader trait).

A player may only have a limited number of assignments going simultaneously. This number has changed several times during development of the feature, but is currently 10. It is very possible this may change again before the system goes live.

Previous mission or assignment completion will also be a prerequisite to having certain assignments available. For example, you might have to complete the "Establish Colony in the T'Ong Nebula" assignment before you are offered the "Provide Security against T'Ong Nebula Raiders" assignment.

Which assignments are available will change every few hours, and may also be gated by your captain's rank, what sector you are in, and other achievements.

Inputs may also include commodities such as medical supplies or provisions.

Rewards almost always will include skill points and bridge officer points and energy credits. Depending on the assignment, other rewards may also be available including DXP, merits/honor, badges/marks, energy units, commodities, items, additional assignments and new duty officers.

Each assignment has a rarity ranging from Common, Uncommon, Rare, Very Rare. There are also a few custom rarities as well.?

I was wondering if there was a market for "common" DOFFs or if we could put them in Fleet banks and stack them? I have emailed my other character DOFFs to make more room for the green, blue and purple ones but this is not the best fix. I am guessing just deleting the poor guys if the fastest. :(
    edited December 2011
    I've been hesitant to send my purples on high-risk/high-reward missions fearing they would come back dead. Now that you cleared it up (along with everything else, very detailed) I can start really climbing the ranks.
    edited December 2011
    XD thank you all for the time you gave to me, it's realy apreciated and usefull
    edited December 2011

I am not an expert, but playing around with your available DOFF Choices can Raise the chance of success on a mission, and with DOFF Characteristics set right, can Raise the Outcome of the Reward.

I got a Green DOFF Trader early today, and the first mission I sent him on, was one that needed either a Diplomat, or a Trader. I assigned the Diplomat, and the numbers were Low. When I assigned the Trader, the Numbers Jumped WAY Up, and when that mission was done, I netted 250 Dilithium, and over 1,300 Diplomatic Points. Not too shabby for the first mission he did....:)
    edited January 2012
    This thread is perfect for me. I'm a doofus with a doofus question. I just got told in in-game chat that a "You lost 10000 energy credits" message I got was related to duty officers and since no one seemed interested in explaining further, I thought I'd ask on the forum. I don't see anything about duty officer costing you credits but it did happen while was collecting rewards and sending out some new assignments. I didn't actually see the message when it happened but found it a bit later after I noticed credits missing from my inventory.

Is this true?
    edited January 2012
    Some Doff missions do cost you some money to complete, like "Entertaining Foreign Dignitaries", for example. Makes sense, seeing as you'd have to wine and dine them.

:D
    edited January 2012
    There'll be an indicator above the doff slots if the assignment costs EC where item inputs are listed.
    edited January 2012
    I've looked through all of my completed and active assignments, none of them say there was a credit requirement. I have a diplomatic mission available that says it costs 5000 credits, but I couldn't do that because I don't have a diplomat.

Now I'm a noob, and I can accept if I just made a noob mistake, live and learn, but It's frustrating that there seems to be no information that lets me find out what mistake I made.