test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Confused...

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I have an Alienware M9700 that I am trying to get to run STO for while I am out of town early next week, and it hangs on loading SOL system.

It gets to 75-77%, then it slows way down, and then iut gets booted off after about 10 minutes of trying to load.

All drivers are updated, and all uneccessary programs are closed.

What could I be missing?

AMD turion 64bit Processor
2GB ram
2x NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900GS (in SLi)
Plenty of HD space...

Game is all pacthed and ready to rock, just cannot load into the game...

Anyone have any ideas?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    have you got full internet access in your firewall to gameclient.exe?
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    have you got full internet access in your firewall to gameclient.exe?

*sigh*

I knew it would probably be something simple. I'll try that...

Thanks!

EDIT:

Well, that's not the issue. I'm leaning towards the Video cards not able to cut it.....

At home now and it is still hanging.....

Sitting at 90.25%...

*sigh* Oh well...
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Ok. Finally got in with another Char and turned video settings down for performance and I got it working.

Looks like I finally found something that this laptop cannot run with full quality....

But it works!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Its best too adjust lower settings on most games for laptops be cause most of them can not handle the graphics very well even Alien ware computers they say there for gaming BUT if you want a gaming computer just build your own is the best way.I know u can't build a laptop lol.Usually The Laptop On board video card is a cheap version id say some are and some are not.But Like i said Most Laptops on Board card can not handle the Graphics.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Ok. Finally got in with another Char and turned video settings down for performance and I got it working.

Looks like I finally found something that this laptop cannot run with full quality....

But it works!!!

ye usssualy i like to see if its an external issue first but in gen best to not run maxedo out on laptops, glad you got it working now hop to it and build a desktop :p;)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Just a curious thought but do you have the on demand patching turned on? That can increase the load times from one area to another. Click on options in the STO launcher and make sure you have a check beside disable on demand patching. It will cause you download more patch data and take up more hard drive space but the trade off is faster load screen times.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Xcom46 wrote: »
    Its best too adjust lower settings on most games for laptops be cause most of them can not handle the graphics very well even Alien ware computers they say there for gaming BUT if you want a gaming computer just build your own is the best way.I know u can't build a laptop lol.Usually The Laptop On board video card is a cheap version id say some are and some are not.But Like i said Most Laptops on Board card can not handle the Graphics.

The vid cards on that laptop are not integrated on the MB. I can get 7950's for it, but I don't have the $375 each for them right now. I might work on getting a new one built. I got the Laptop 5 years ago when Alienware introduced the M9700. It was great when I got it, and I have used it for gaming while travelling for the last 5 years, but I had never tried STO on it.
    ye usssualy i like to see if its an external issue first but in gen best to not run maxedo out on laptops, glad you got it working now hop to it and build a desktop :p;)

I do have a desktop to run STO and other games.

That one is my beast, 6GB triple channel RAM, i7 920, dual GTX 260's etc...

That one runs just fine. My mom is having a major surgery next week and I wanted to keep up with testing the DOFF system while I am at her house. So yeah, just trying to get a mobile system to work on STO.

It runs LOTRO At high quality just fine, but not STO... The graphics cards on the Laptop are GeForce 7900 GS, just below the minimum specs for the game, so I have to turn the quality down to performance to get it working.
    Amithas wrote:
    Just a curious thought but do you have the on demand patching turned on? That can increase the load times from one area to another. Click on options in the STO launcher and make sure you have a check beside disable on demand patching. It will cause you download more patch data and take up more hard drive space but the trade off is faster load screen times.

I did not check this, and it would most liklely help. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    The vid cards on that laptop are not integrated on the MB. I can get 7950's for it, but I don't have the $375 each for them right now. I might work on getting a new one built. I got the Laptop 5 years ago when Alienware introduced the M9700. It was great when I got it, and I have used it for gaming while travelling for the last 5 years, but I had never tried STO on it.

I do have a desktop to run STO and other games.

That one is my beast, 6GB triple channel RAM, i7 920, dual GTX 260's etc...

That one runs just fine. My mom is having a major surgery next week and I wanted to keep up with testing the DOFF system while I am at her house. So yeah, just trying to get a mobile system to work on STO.

It runs LOTRO At high quality just fine, but not STO... The graphics cards on the Laptop are GeForce 7900 GS, just below the minimum specs for the game, so I have to turn the quality down to performance to get it working.

I did not check this, and it would most liklely help. Thanks for the info.

I got a single 8600M GS on this DV6000 could barly run at 25fps back in beta myself lol, glad i got the tower build last feb.