Install Arc
Options

Joystick/Flightstick Support

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Melissa is right. When you work with keybinds, be they keyboard, joystick or controller, you really should use a bindfile. IIRC, there is no REAL controller/joystick support in the game, but you can cobble something together using 3rd party software (no it won't violate EULA). Unfortunately, all that got left behind when they abandoned console gaming for STO. Try this:

1. Don't use the joystick/controller tab in the options menu. Use Options>Keybinds.

2. (As humbly as I can say it. :o) Read my guide (link in sig); I've been told by many that it has really help their understand of binds/bindfiles.

3. Next, in your chat window, type /bind_save_file filename.txt . (This will save a bindfile to your STO "Live" folder with that filename.)

4. Open that file and browse through it to familiarize your self with the actual names used for "buttons" the various /commands.

5. Sort everything out. Copy/paste your navigation controls together. Put your weapons controls together. This will help keep you organized. You can even use headings like "Navigation", "Miscellaneous", "Weapons", etc.; the system will ignore these when you load the file later.

6. Check what the actual recorded "button" names are by modifying the "button" in Options>Keybinds and resaving and browsing the new file. Use a fininte number of commands; for example, only modify your navigation commands (forward/back, left/right, up/down) between saves.

Lastly, you have to do this for both space commands and ground commands individually; you can't use the same file for both. (Use filenames like: joystick space binds.txt and joystick ground binds.txt) Also, anytime you save/load it MUST occur in the specific arena you are working on. Be in space to work on space; be on ground to work on ground.

Good luck. Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Zed

That is a good idea but to be honest there are quite a few areas I have seen so far where the controller in this case for me a 360 wirless controller with receiver for the pc works a lot better, like the ground combat its a lot easier to do with a controller I only have the demo so I don't know if they have addressed this issue in the full game. However based on that the system for the controller is very clumbsey since the functions of each button on the pad is not defined clearly so you can decide what functions you want to assign.

This type of system works very well it did on legacy for the 360 so I don't see why they can't solve it especially at this level, using the controller makes the game a lot more enjoyable, for your not constantly hitting buttons on your keyboard and eventually getting aching hands after a while. I know I only have the demo which I got so I could try it out and see if I liked it and I do so far apart from the clumsey control system for 360 controller or joystic alternative.

This issue is not going away so Cryptic need to address it as soon as possible since we the gamers who make the investement in the product thus this type of problem needs to be addressed by them as such.

I am sure they could incorperate it easily into a update and that just be another nice improvement.

From what I have seen so far in the demo it strikes me as a good game generaly and certainly ticks the boxes for me as devout fan of star trek ever since I was a child lol, its fair to say that you wont be able to do everything with the controller and thats fine but for the main parts as in flying your ship in battle and firing weapons etc and ground combat then the controller system should be there for those of us like me who use a 360 controller or joystick depending on your preference and I acknowledge there will those who will be quite happy to use the keyboard and thats ok. What this all really boils down to is personal choice and thats what I would like for the other players of this game. Just one other suggestion which has nothing to do with this but a voice chat system similiar to xboxlive would be great because its so simple to use. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Pandora_50 wrote: »
    That is a good idea but to be honest there are quite a few areas I have seen so far where the controller in this case for me a 360 wirless controller with receiver for the pc works a lot better, like the ground combat its a lot easier to do with a controller I only have the demo so I don't know if they have addressed this issue in the full game. However based on that the system for the controller is very clumbsey since the functions of each button on the pad is not defined clearly so you can decide what functions you want to assign.

This type of system works very well it did on legacy for the 360 so I don't see why they can't solve it especially at this level, using the controller makes the game a lot more enjoyable, for your not constantly hitting buttons on your keyboard and eventually getting aching hands after a while. I know I only have the demo which I got so I could try it out and see if I liked it and I do so far apart from the clumsey control system for 360 controller or joystic alternative.

This issue is not going away so Cryptic need to address it as soon as possible since we the gamers who make the investement in the product thus this type of problem needs to be addressed by them as such.

I am sure they could incorperate it easily into a update and that just be another nice improvement.

From what I have seen so far in the demo it strikes me as a good game generaly and certainly ticks the boxes for me as devout fan of star trek ever since I was a child lol, its fair to say that you wont be able to do everything with the controller and thats fine but for the main parts as in flying your ship in battle and firing weapons etc and ground combat then the controller system should be there for those of us like me who use a 360 controller or joystick depending on your preference and I acknowledge there will those who will be quite happy to use the keyboard and thats ok. What this all really boils down to is personal choice and thats what I would like for the other players of this game. Just one other suggestion which has nothing to do with this but a voice chat system similiar to xboxlive would be great because its so simple to use. :)

We are getting an ingame voice system called vivox with season 4 (next few days)

I would recommend a game pad with a decent software package like a logitech or saitek..much better then the tat you get with microsoft gear
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    We are getting an ingame voice system called vivox with season 4 (next few days)

I would recommend a game pad with a decent software package like a logitech or saitek..much better then the tat you get with microsoft gear

Well I think your being a little harsh lol I don't think its that bad, however the question remains have they clearly defined what each of the buttons are supposed to do so you can decide accurately what configuration you want i.e which buttons you want for primary and secondary fire on your weapons on the ground etc for the present information I see is a tad confusing unless of course this issue has been addressed in the full game. Also since I intend on now getting the full game and subscribing which I will problably go for life since thats a lot easier for its just one time and since they have the support in there for the 360 controller why should I not use it but like I said earlier it would just need that simple fix and I would be very happy. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I got my logitech attack joystick and it sucks I cant get it to work, the ship is always on its side, I cant see the enemy until they are like in right front of me, why I cant get my ship to look forward like with the mouse?
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Joystick in an MMO? Thats a bad joke. Where there any Joystick support in ST Legacy, ST Bridge Commaner or ST Starfleed Command? A Joystick is a dino in the mordern game world.

JTL. Nuff said. Granted I still used mouse and keyboard myself, most pilots used a stick of some sort.
This discussion has been closed.