test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ship interiors

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Am I the only one who rages at the difference in quality of ship interiors?

The Klingons have glorious interiors while the feds wallow with poorly designed modular barns.

I mean look at them! The ship interiors for feds are the size of the smaller ships! The lounge is a dam hangar.
Why do the ceilings need to be so high? Why do the corridors need to accommodate heavy goods vehicles?
Why can't we have something that actually looks like a star trek ship interior?
And what is with all the dam plants? Seriously those are annoying.

Is there different design teams behind the fed and klink interiors because I think the feds are getting shafted here.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Cryptic had to make it that way for one or two people who have their 3rd person camera fully zoomed out..... If they knocked everything down by maybe 1/3 its current size, I think that'd work.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well look at the Klink captains office and crew quarters. The ceilings are very very low in there in comparison to the rest of the ship. But they work just fine. They're my favourite rooms to be fair because they ****ing feel like ship interiors.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I wouldn't know, I have a Klingon (well faction anyway, his race is Cardassian) but basically just got done with the "pick your BOffs mission". I do recall that another issue with the size of Fed interiors also had to do with the fact that they were used in a Klingon episode/STF, and needed to be bigger to allow movement. To my knowledge, there aren't any Fed missions or STFs involving beaming onto a Klink ship and taking over, and that may be why their interiors are scaled properly.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Cryptic should stop all world on Klingon material and put all their resources on Federation material until federation interiors are equal too Klingon interiors! Further, all of the cryptic staff should post on these forums, saying they are sorry and how they plan to fix this issue of interior inequality. Grrrrrr! Nerdrage!

Seriously though, I hope Cryptic does do another pass on the interiors sometimes in the future. It is nice to have them in now, and i was thrilled when they came out. But like the other things in the game, i would like them to see them take the time to go all out on the interiors like they have been with the latest content they have been rolling out.

I don't expect it to be any time soon since they have lots on their plates for the next 6 months, but i will be happy when it does happen.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I wouldn't know, I have a Klingon (well faction anyway, his race is Cardassian) but basically just got done with the "pick your BOffs mission". I do recall that another issue with the size of Fed interiors also had to do with the fact that they were used in a Klingon episode/STF, and needed to be bigger to allow movement. To my knowledge, there aren't any Fed missions or STFs involving beaming onto a Klink ship and taking over, and that may be why their interiors are scaled properly.

There are. Quite a few actually. The time travel arc for instance.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Cryptic had to make it that way for one or two people who have their 3rd person camera fully zoomed out..... If they knocked everything down by maybe 1/3 its current size, I think that'd work.

Ya, the problem is stuff breaks with the game engine when that happens. The engine and size levels were built around the idea of very customizable characters, and fairly large potential adversaries [See, Champions]. Camera angle was a portion of it, but it was more played up by the beta community than by the dev staff.

Klingon ships I think hold the benefit of not being as sleek, so it's easier to mask the height with excess piping :).
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I agree wholeheartedly. Improving interiors should be a focus for both faction development. Ships are our players homes, and they're also the most physical representation of progression in the game. They're something we can get an emotional attachment to.

It's like accolades. They're not vital to the game, but they're something that helps give a sense of accomplishment and helps keep people committed.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I to would love to see the ship interiors feel more like proper corridors.

The one problem is not that it can't be done but it is a right pain to do so. Best to keep it as it is as long as the game is still selling.

However if they did so scaling models isn't to large a problem in certain cases.
    Not sure how it's done by Cryptics software but in GTK Radiant it was a simple matter of entering the scale.

The walls and doors though would each have to be scaled down by hand and textures realigned.

As I said not hard but a right pain in the rear end.

At the end of the day if it's a camera issue because some players like it fully zoomed out then it's just a case of get use to it being zoomed in more ! Plus the camera can be moved to any angle to compensate for this, I know I tried it.
    Or make a first person toggle.

Wispers. I would love to see a proper TNG Galaxy Class interior WInk Wink. ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It hurts my brain every time I visit my ship interior.

Something is seriously wrong when the transporter room platform is almost as big as a galaxy class bridge.

It really does look stupid.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Am I the only one who rages at the difference in quality of ship interiors?

The Klingons have glorious interiors while the feds wallow with poorly designed modular barns.

I mean look at them! The ship interiors for feds are the size of the smaller ships! The lounge is a dam hangar.
    Why do the ceilings need to be so high? Why do the corridors need to accommodate heavy goods vehicles?
    Why can't we have something that actually looks like a star trek ship interior?
    And what is with all the dam plants? Seriously those are annoying.

Is there different design teams behind the fed and klink interiors because I think the feds are getting shafted here.

No....You are just the first one to start a thread in the last six hours.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    There are. Quite a few actually. The time travel arc for instance.

Bah...totally forgot about that one. :o
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The one problem is not that it can't be done but it is a right pain to do so. Best to keep it as it is as long as the game is still selling.

Meh.. shouldn't be hard to do at all.
    I've made game maps for Doom, Doom2, Duke Nukem, and Unreal Tournament 2003. Doom is downright easy. UT2k3 is significantly more complex as you get into light sources and such. STO's model looks like an in-between, at most... maybe even closer to the Doom side of the scale; easy.

It might also be similar to Elder Scrolls/Fallout3 content in which interiors are pre-modeled sections you scale, angle, and strap together--I highly suspect this given the number of recurring identical sections, and with how Genesis seemed to mass-create maps.

If it does indeed follow the ES/FO3 model, those sections just need to have their scale value dropped. If those sections have poor relation between things like light strips, etc., they may need to be reworked at the model layer, but even that's just a resizing job more than anything.

MMO players are nerds.
    Star Trek fans are nerds.
    Map makers are nerds.
    Object modelers are nerds.

Chances are Cryptic could probably find a lot of help fixing this stuff from within the community.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Rikaelus wrote: »
    Meh.. shouldn't be hard to do at all.
    I've made game maps for Doom, Doom2, Duke Nukem, and Unreal Tournament 2003. Doom is downright easy. UT2k3 is significantly more complex as you get into light sources and such. STO's model looks like an in-between, at most... maybe even closer to the Doom side of the scale; easy.

It might also be similar to Elder Scrolls/Fallout3 content in which interiors are pre-modeled sections you scale, angle, and strap together--I highly suspect this given the number of recurring identical sections, and with how Genesis seemed to mass-create maps.

If it does indeed follow the ES/FO3 model, those sections just need to have their scale value dropped. If those sections have poor relation between things like light strips, etc., they may need to be reworked at the model layer, but even that's just a resizing job more than anything.

MMO players are nerds.
    Star Trek fans are nerds.
    Map makers are nerds.
    Object modelers are nerds.

Chances are Cryptic could probably find a lot of help fixing this stuff from within the community.

You misunderstand m8 not hard as in hard to do, I mean a pain as in a bit of a chore to do, boring, they have more exiting things to get on with :D

Of course though I have a cunning plan.

Why not release the map editor to us mappers like you and me and let us make the interiors for them

Kinda freelancers ;)

In fact that got me thinking. Is there Freelance work for level designers ? I mean you train at Uni fair enough. Afterwards though we have to look at places like Birmingham or other major cities and America. Surely there are companies that would hire a level maker that doesn't live in the States or near a games company ?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You misunderstand m8 not hard as in hard to do, I mean a pain as in a bit of a chore to do, boring, they have more exiting things to get on with :D

Of course though I have a cunning plan.

Why not release the map editor to us mappers like you and me and let us make the interiors for them

Kinda freelancers ;)

In fact that got me thinking. Is there Freelance work for level designers ? I mean you train at Uni fair enough. Afterwards though we have to look at places like Birmingham or other major cities and America. Surely there are companies that would hire a level maker that doesn't live in the States or near a games company ?

I've heard rumblings of player created content in the future. I'm not sure we'll have control of scale and such if it includes making maps for missions, but it might be a springboard for players to catch Cryptic's eye and maybe help them with some stuff.

And "pfft" to school. I've been programming since I was 8, working on MUDs and making maps at ~15, and went right into my programming career the night I graduated high school. =P
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    This is a major issue that needs fixing asap,
    also we have a Sickbay, why do I need to visit Random NPC's when I get injured on Elite missions lol
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Rikaelus wrote: »
    I've heard rumblings of player created content in the future. I'm not sure we'll have control of scale and such if it includes making maps for missions, but it might be a springboard for players to catch Cryptic's eye and maybe help them with some stuff.

And "pfft" to school. I've been programming since I was 8, working on MUDs and making maps at ~15, and went right into my programming career the night I graduated high school. =P

That sounds a cool idea I know they want us to make our own content but if they included a level maker it would be alot better than just adding items that are already there, unless people want to of course :D

I agree with the school thing, at the place I worked at we found it alot better to train in house as apprentices. I went to Uni to study Graphics but I learnt alot more over 12 years in my job.
  • Options
    apolloracerapolloracer Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Realizing this thread is 11 years old, but as it's not closed and is relevant to my comment, I'll post here.

There is indeed a bit of an issue with the ship's interiors being scaled too large. The bridges look as though they've had improvements, but the rest of the ship, however, is scaled so high you could almost literally fly a shuttlecraft through them. I mean, the captain's ready room could fit inside the living area of their quarters; the sleeping area alone is more apt of how large their quarters should actually be.

Not recently, but more recent than this thread, I saw a video on how developers rescaled Deep Space Nine. They used actual plans from the show for the dimensions of the stations rooms and corridors. When finished, they invited actors from the show to visit it, and they marveled at how close the in-game station is to how their sets were. Surely there must be plans floating around showing the dimensions of the ship corridors and rooms, as well. If nothing else, you have Discovery to work with.

So, if the developers can put the effort and level of detail into redoing DS9, why not take that energy and apply it into rescaling the ship interiors to more closely match what would have been seen on the shows? I'm not even asking for the variety for the ships that you have with the bridges, just a "simple" size reduction. I also understand that develops may be busy trying to constantly provide content to cater to the player base, but surely an interior redesign could be worked into the schedules, couldn't it? It's not like it has to be done cross-platform (I know at least PS4 players don't even have access to anything other than the bridge and the ready room).
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    @rattler2 a zombie has risen from the grave ...
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Realizing this thread is 11 years old..

Should have stopped there and made a new thread.

Wow.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > Wow.

:D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    Necro record?

Also a necro record:

https://youtu.be/xiukuoSjDj0

• Options
    (Bloody forums REFUSE to display the images.)

177570493_10159441214228899_7032213885524598790_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=DUqx8Z4c0yUAX9qIry-&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyz1-1.fna&oh=0b69c6f9904ba487dc1a99cde898e20f&oe=60AC3BF5

178608094_10159441214273899_949980799941902352_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=70NPVv6Pw0oAX8nNGrY&tn=lFgOnM6vtUyODB4k&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyz1-2.fna&oh=b4514f29d643d22ed140716f54a1ef0c&oe=60AA835F

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    I'm seeing the pics just fine.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    That's what I got too... just a bunch of text... is anyone seeing images?

The pics are fine. Are you running ad blocking extensions or other plugins that mess with page content?

• Options
    aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    Is there any logic that the show were made smaller from sets for tv or movie? Were they to scale or did they have to do something. Is there some neutral logic they are supposed to be based on to determine how big they should be somehow?

I'm not sure what the ships were based on in general. Did they use ww2 or vietnam/korea era ships for inspiration or anything? Maybe there is some intended design logic to go off of.
  • Options
    That's what I got too... just a bunch of text... is anyone seeing images?

The pics are fine. Are you running ad blocking extensions or other plugins that mess with page content?

Not that I know of... perhaps something in my security settings.....?

The pics do not show in your post, they show in mine.

All I did was paste your links between the [ img] and [ /img] bookends (without the space.)
This discussion has been closed.