test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anomalies on Ground exploration maps

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited July 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Dear Cryptic,

If you can't even bother to check that anomalies aren't below the terrain on your ground maps, just remove them.

Or, if placing objects above the terrain is totally beyond your technology, just make it so line of sight doesn't block F-activation.

Ugh.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Anomalies stuck in rock, half-embedded in the ground, etc. are findable via the Tricorder, partially visible to the player, but are not scannable at all.

See http://j.twu.net/badanomaly.png for an example. This anomaly was sticking out of the ground. I could see it, my Tricorder led it to me, but I could not scan it.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    jessieleah wrote: »
    Anomalies stuck in rock, half-embedded in the ground, etc. are findable via the Tricorder, partially visible to the player, but are not scannable at all.

See http://j.twu.net/badanomaly.png for an example. This anomaly was sticking out of the ground. I could see it, my Tricorder led it to me, but I could not scan it.

...Which is a pain in the TRIBBLE when you have other "objectives" to find and your Tricorder remains fixated on the unscannable anomaly.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Galtrovan wrote: »
    ...Which is a pain in the TRIBBLE when you have other "objectives" to find and your Tricorder remains fixated on the unscannable anomaly.

Yep!

Especially on maps where the pathways that provide visual cues on the minimap are not distinctly colored, completely obscured by overlaying geometry, or simply nonexistent.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This has been an issue since beta. There was some dev chatter on the forums about some new way the ground content could be delivered to the PC clients that was supposed to fix a lot of the weirdness (missing anomalies, BOffs who fall inside the terrain, etc.) but apparently no updates on this subject recently.

Cryptari... any news? :confused:
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Eryxx wrote: »
    This has been an issue since beta. There was some dev chatter on the forums about some new way the ground content could be delivered to the PC clients that was supposed to fix a lot of the weirdness (missing anomalies, BOffs who fall inside the terrain, etc.) but apparently no updates on this subject recently.

Cryptari... any news? :confused:

Supposedly that's coming in Season 2.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I found those non-obtainable anomalies on Away Team missions more frequently after achieving Commander. I did not have any trouble with anomalies on the away team activities with the markers being partially sunken or encased in a part of the landscape prior to Commander.
    Have the upgrades to the Game Servers "modded" some of the landscapes? Because sometimes that is was causes the land to become misshapenned and the anomolies have to be reset so they are again above ground on some mod redoes.

Anyone else notice if anomolies were buried or partially visible before they reached Commander level game play?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lt. 4 and 5 and I'm running into this issue. I had to abort three or four missions already this week. Logging out does not help. Anomalies (and even the last objective) were embedded in rock or the ground.

Another yesterday was all the away team except me immediately glitched into large rock formations. I tried to see if they were on top, but no trace of them except on the mini map. I was not walking by the area even. Maybe that was a lag issue as well (had a little yesterday).
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dear Cryptic,

If you can't even bother to check that anomalies aren't below the terrain on your ground maps, just remove them.

Or, if placing objects above the terrain is totally beyond your technology, just make it so line of sight doesn't block F-activation.

Ugh.

This would probably be simpler for Cryptic to deal with if it were posted in the Bug Reports thread, and included the Sector Name, Planet Name, Mission Name, and approximate area of the terrain map, North East Quad, South Center, ETC, where the anomaly is located. Looking for a Nondescript Anomaly that some one throws into a random post, that is put into a group of posts, without telling them some detail info is like telling them to go look for an ANT in the middle of Texas.

Try to give them a chance to do the job you are asking them to do. They need a start point in order to do that.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This would probably be simpler for Cryptic to deal with if it were posted in the Bug Reports thread, and included the Sector Name, Planet Name, Mission Name, and approximate area of the terrain map, North East Quad, South Center, ETC, where the anomaly is located. Looking for a Nondescript Anomaly that some one throws into a random post, that is put into a group of posts, without telling them some detail info is like telling them to go look for an ANT in the middle of Texas.

Try to give them a chance to do the job you are asking them to do. They need a start point in order to do that.

It would be easier for me to compile a list of exploration planets where I haven't encountered this.

Except that list would be empty.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It would be easier for me to compile a list of exploration planets where I haven't encountered this.

Except that list would be empty.

Each incident that I have found this, and there have been many, both in Holodeck, and Tribble, I posted it as a bug report, with Sector Name, Planet Name, Mission Name if Known, and approximate area of map, just to give DEV's an idea where to start looking for the problem in the Thousands of Pages of CODE they have to go through to find that particular item.

A post of a general Rant with no guidance details does not help solve the problem. Details are very important.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Each incident that I have found this, and there have been many, both in Holodeck, and Tribble, I posted it as a bug report, with Sector Name, Planet Name, Mission Name if Known, and approximate area of map, just to give DEV's an idea where to start looking for the problem in the Thousands of Pages of CODE they have to go through to find that particular item.

A post of a general Rant with no guidance details does not help solve the problem. Details are very important.

I used to do that but at this point I have neither the time nor the inclination to help correct such uniformly sloppy work.

IMO at this point rather than move the many thousands of objects they need to they should just generally remove the line-of-sight check from the activation trigger for the anomalies.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Replace a line-of-sight check with a distance-to-player check. Boom, done.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I used to do that but at this point I have neither the time nor the inclination to help correct such uniformly sloppy work.

IMO at this point rather than move the many thousands of objects they need to they should just generally remove the line-of-sight check from the activation trigger for the anomalies.

This at least is a suggested corrective action that was not included in your FP.
    Your FP simply read as a Rant. This one does not.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    This at least is a suggested corrective action that was not included in your FP.
    Your FP simply read as a Rant. This one does not.

Um...

No I didn't say it nicely, but I've run out of tolerance for errors that derive from consistently quick and sloppy work in this game.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    jessieleah wrote: »
    Replace a line-of-sight check with a distance-to-player check. Boom, done.

It's unfortunate it wasn't designed that way in first place. It's a shame that this elegant solution has not been implemented yet.

Until that happens I'll continue to stand amazed as technology hundreds of years in the future manages to under-perform cell phone, radar, and x-ray technology.