test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

This lag is game breaking

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited July 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Fix it cryptic! This lag makes the game unplayable!

Its been like this for days WTF are you guys doing?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Many people that I know (in several countries) are not having any lag issues, or they weren't when I spoke to them yesterday.

Is it possible that your computer, drivers and/or ISP might be the problem?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Positive

I'm on a 50mb line with no issues anywhere else in any game.

Everyone on vent with me at the same time experienced it so I'm fairly sure its not me.

thanks
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Many people that I know (in several countries) are not having any lag issues, or they weren't when I spoke to them yesterday.

Is it possible that your computer, drivers and/or ISP might be the problem?

LOADS of people are complaining about about epic rubber banding and trouble logging in over the last few days... it is particularly bad today. :(
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I have noticed the lag, many others complain more about it than I do. It's been getting steadily worse since 1.2 patched, but it doesn't seem to be isolated to STO. I've been having trouble connecting to all kinds of things this week, I suspect it's got less to do with STO's backend than it seems, but there is obviously some issues there as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Keldor wrote:
    I have noticed the lag, many others complain more about it than I do. It's been getting steadily worse since 1.2 patched, but it doesn't seem to be isolated to STO. I've been having trouble connecting to all kinds of things this week, I suspect it's got less to do with STO's backend than it seems, but there is obviously some issues there as well.

I am not having any issues on-line with other games or teh internetz generally... my downloading of TRIBBLE and LOLcats is smooth as an oiled lounge lizard on roller skates.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    While you are at it, could you be so kind as to fix the login issues.

I really was hoping to have a fully functioning game this far into the release....

*Just one of the many, many disgruntled customers*
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've seen no lag or other issues.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    UK <<

Lagging throughout the day and eases during the evening. However it's now 17:42 and still laggy as hell.

Everytime I try to play during work hours (9-5) I can't. Is this game only for evening and weekends?? I'm pretty sure the subscription covered 24/7.

//EDIT

Switching to the US proxy fixes it....... I'm in the bloody UK......
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And it is still pretty dreadful today :(

It has not been this bad since beta actually.

EDIT: in fact it is pretty much unplayable today
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Every evening in the UK the server goes nuts when the US wakes up. Is Cryptic going to fix this any time soon?

I repeat: The lag is game breaking!!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    hasn't been lagging for me and i play at random hours (day, evening, 2am ><) though i'm in the US.

Why not run a netstat test or traceroute and show those results? Helps a lot ^^
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I play from the moon and I have no lag lol.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    im in ontario, i play all hours of the day, weekdays weekends, everyday.. i get CRAZY lag on BORG maps, i get CRAZY lag when i get focus fired... i crash everytime i enter earth starbase after transwarping, screen goes solid beigy-pink(colourblind) my other monitors go black.. game clinet stops responding.

i get crazy lag in pvp matches when certain playes shot me, and it willonly be caused by that one player and EVERYTIME he shoots me.

the crash reporting service STO has runs for hours after a crash(if i let it), only utilizes .01% of my network and brings my entire connection to a CRAWL.. torrents stop downloading, web browser fail to load, game isn't even playable.. does this on my DSL (10Mbit), my fibre(50Mbit) and my satalite(1.5Mbit)

If you're having crazy slowdowns on your connection after crashing or playing STO, expand your system tray and see if the crash report service is running.. outsied of that there's nothing you can do to fix the STO Lag problem.. it IS cryptic's fault.. the staff boast about having a 10Gbit connection that never comes close to even being half used up ever.. they say they're looking into leasing service from yahoo or google.. but haven't because the 10Gbit line is hardly being used up... but i can tell you when i do a tracerute back to cryptic, it makes 25-40 turns before it gets there.. and when i traceping to them or their nettest, it's a joke.

the last server maintenance had everyone down until exactly 9:00am pacific time, their office is in california, most people arrive at work at 9am.... it's quite clear that their server is anything but a "fire and forget" system.. i don't know if it still does or not, but when STO launched it had to share with Champions Online. cryptic claimed it didn't..but then we all found out it did.. and more than just the chat server which they later admitted to.

cryptic are being cheap, they made a capital investment into a 10gbit and thought that would be it. they were wrong and they're not using your subscription money to fix it. this is a 2yr cash and grab game, they're never going to put any overhead into it that they don't have anything short of a court order to force them to.

and worse we get trollers on the forums saying its YOUR connection.. they don't care that you've been having a long problem of STO only performance issues, they don't think that anyone but themselves knows anything about technology.. for some f'd up reason the jump on anyone who says bad things about STO or cryptic. it's nothing short of gullableness on their part and without reason they're pushing it on people with legit issues.. stiffling the feedback,discouraging the "hey cryptic you got server issues REALLY BAD, what are we paying you $15/mo for?" message that NEEDS to get to and sink into the thick skulls belonging to the 'suit and tie wearing cryptic' employees/owners/managers.

the thing that sucks is that the game is soo damn poorly coded, it may not even be the servers.. it could just be the code.. look at the crash report thingy.. that things a g.damned MALWARE by every definition of the word... and double crappy is that the game IS so badly coded and the crash reporter is 1000% needed.. unless it doesn't work.. or they're not even using the data properly(and after the bug reports i think that maybe the case)

.. i play the game, i pay the cash.. i have ZERO faith in cryptic to improve it, if they do it just makes the game better(in my mind) .. because if i believe it will be fixed and i beleive in cryptic to make a good game.. i'll have no choise but to see what's infront of my eyes.. and it stinks, and is steaming.. attracting flies and has cost me $130cdn so far. and i don't know why i continue... maybe i'm just a push over.. or have nothing better to do... or just really really really want a good sci-fi mmo so badly i'm blind. hopefully this game can get some competition and it will force cryptics hand.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Verhey wrote: »
    [too much fail to repost]
    Would like to point out however that the servers are in Boston.

Also, you post this: "but i can tell you when i do a tracerute back to cryptic, it makes 25-40 turns before it gets there.. and when i traceping to them or their nettest, it's a joke." But yet go on about how it's their fault. Clearly, if your path to them is laggy or a joke, the game will play with lag, and that is on you and your internet provider(s). Others are not having issues getting to and playing on those same Cryptic computers as you without any lag, so it is you.

It also seems that at least a part of your problem is with originating with your computer. The game should not be crashing on you and there should not be any display artifacts. And although this may be the result of something in the program triggering computer problems for you, trying to blame it on Cryptics connection and servers isn't going lead you to a solution.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Server was unplayable from about 19:30pm GMT this evening. Its getting to be a joke!

OK I ran a netstat - forgive me if this incorrect, as its not something I usually do.

C:\Users\p00n>netstat

Active Connections

Proto_Local Address______Foreign Address___State
    TCP__192.168.1.3:49330___77.67.21.9:http____CLOSE_WAIT
    TCP__192.168.1.3:51000___wy-in-f139:http____ESTABLISHED
    TCP__192.168.1.3:51049___208.95.185.44:http__TIME_WAIT

is this all the info you need? I have done these at work and there usually is a lot more data than this....
    I haven't done a traceroute before... would that help?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    bump

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Those of you seeing all this lag have port range 7000-7500 forwarded? It runs fine.... notsomuch when I didn't have those set up in my router.

However, there IS some sort of problem because as soon as my GF even connects her wireless laptop to my network, the game rubber bands to high heaven (but this is the only time I get the issue). What I don't understand is why? Even when my PC is set as a DMZ. This makes no sense.

PLEASE NOTE: No other MMO has experienced this issue. ONLY STO. Hint hint Cryptic.

Whatever the issue is... it's probably, mostly, not people's internet connections. There is deff. something mucked up @ cryptic.

Good luck trying to get them to admit it when their whole staff have no issues playing from their moms' basements. If they never see it, they must accept the only logical outcome... that there is nothing wrong. Has anyone ever made them a video of how bad the rubberbanding actually gets (when ports aren't forwarded?) Maybe someone needs to show them? I think they would say something along the lines of... "How the hell has this person not pulled out ALL their hair yet?"

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
    TCP AMD6000:4278 patchserver.crypticstudios.com:7255 T
    TCP AMD6000:4279 208.95.184.107:7255 TIME_WAIT
    TCP AMD6000:4281 208.95.185.44:http TIME_WAIT
    TCP AMD6000:4289 accounts.crypticstudios.com:7004 TIME
    TCP AMD6000:4290 208.95.187.74:7399 TIME_WAIT
    TCP AMD6000:4292 208.95.185.44:http TIME_WAIT
    TCP AMD6000:4295 patchserver.crypticstudios.com:7255 T
    TCP AMD6000:4296 208.95.184.164:7255 TIME_WAIT
    TCP AMD6000:4302 accounts.crypticstudios.com:7004 TIME
    TCP AMD6000:4304 208.95.184.154:7003 ESTABLISHED

...All ports used by STO are in the 7000-7500 range.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Keldor wrote:

I agree, It HAS been getting worse lately, infact my toon will be running in space dock and the rubber band effect will pull him right through a wall!
    THAT doesn't sound like a problem with MY computer!
    I've been playing for over 100 days and it's NEVER been this bad!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    People are paying for a service that barely works.

Sort your priorities Cryptic!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I occasionally get major lag issues like Cpt_Duck (I am in London, he is in Edinburgh I believe) but mostly it runs smooth as an oiled lizard on an ice rink... however performance is unpredictable for sure, but hard to know when the issues are local or server related.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    i had lag issues and rubberbanding issues. i decided to ask the IT guy at work about it and as soon as i told him what was going on he immediatly said that it was my video card overheating. well after that i downloaded a program that told me how hot my card was getting and solved the issue i had by istalling a fan. cool gpu = great performance from the game.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Cpt_Duck wrote:
    People are paying for a service that barely works.

Sort your priorities Cryptic!

It honestly might be packet shaping/filtering being done by YOUR ISP (and if this happens at the same time every day in a 24 hour cycle; that point MORE to it being smething your ISP is doing that Cryptic has no control over.) You might want to call and speak with your ISPs tech support and find out if this is the case. If it is, and the ISP isn't willing to change policy; then your only other option is to find an ISP that's more 'MMO friendly' as it were 9and I realize that might not be possible depending where you are).

But, if your ISP is doing packet shaping or filtering during certain hours - there's not a whole lot Cryptic can do.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ok thanks for your replies.

I was fairly certain it had nothing to do with my ISP as this lag is a recent problem and before that I had been playing this game since beta lag free. It seemed to me the lag came in after the last couple of patches.

But It would be a good idea to rule out other causes so I will give my ISP (virgin) a call over the weekend so to avoid being put through to a call centre in India.

I will also update my GFX driver, but the kind of lag I am experiencing doesn’t seem to be graphical.

I’ll update this thread when I have some results.