test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

At least some types of NPC pistol damage are completely ignoring shields.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited June 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
The gist of it is this: certain types of NPC pistol damage appears to be completely ignoring shields and doing direct health damage instead.

You can find more information located in the following thread, which is unlikely to draw much attention because of a semi-vague title. So I've linked it here:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=154721
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2010
    Adding a little more information to this. I have observed this problem mainly with phaser pistols. If you need specific examples of where to see it, try the starfleet medics and engineers on the mission "Shutdown" (elite mode).

Here's a standard, legitimate attack from the combat log taken during that mission.

"Your Personal Shields absorbs 33 (18) damage."
    "Security Officer deals 2 (36) Phaser Damage to you with Phaser Rifle."

Everything looks normal there. The log shows that attack did 33 damage to my personal shield and would have done 18 damage to my health if it hadn't been applied to the shields. It also shows that 2 damage (bleedthrough) was done to my health, and that the total damage of the attack was 36. From this information we can extrapolate that I had 18/33 = 54% phaser damage resistance at that moment.

Looks normal. It shows the personal shield protecting and my resistances offering protection.

But here's another portion of the combat log from the same fight:

"Engineer deals 27 Phaser Damage to you with Phaser Pistol."
    "Medic deals 16 Phaser Damage to you with Phaser Pistol."

Now what the heck is happening there? That is *while* I have *full* personal shields. And yet the damage is completely ignoring it. And I can see this clearly on my character portrait, represented by a full, unscathed shield bar and a rapidly diminishing health bar. Since no resistance to the attack is being reported is indirectly mentioned in the log either, I assume it's also being ignored.

Needless to say, when several starfleet medics and engineers are shooting at you with their phaser pistols, your health starts to drop rapidly. Shields sit pretty, though.

Please check into this and fix it.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    same happends on advanced/elite when fighting borg.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    And the same thing happens on Advanced/Elite when fighting random enemies in the B'Tran cluster with the word "Commander" in their name.

Only in their case it's with their Dual Pistol/Bolt Spray attack. The combination of high damage coupled with it ignoring your shields causes near instant death.

This was reported multiple times with in-game bug reports as well as on the forums, but they allowed it to go live anyway. Because of this Advanced/Elite ground missions are unplayable for Admiral characters currently.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    And the same thing happens on Advanced/Elite when fighting random enemies in the B'Tran cluster with the word "Commander" in their name.

Only in their case it's with their Dual Pistol/Bolt Spray attack. The combination of high damage coupled with it ignoring your shields causes near instant death.

This was reported multiple times with in-game bug reports as well as on the forums, but they allowed it to go live anyway. Because of this Advanced/Elite ground missions are unplayable for Admiral characters currently.

You're talking about a different issue. I have logs of elite enemies using Dual Pistol/Bolt Spray attacks and they clearly show the personal shields attempting to absorb a portion of the damage. The only problem is that the attacks are upwards of 200-300 damage, hit multiple times, and as a result tear through the shields and your health quickly.

Sample from log:
    Your Bolt Spray deals 45 (34) Phaser Damage to Captain T'Vala
    Your Bolt Spray deals 47 (35) Phaser Damage to Captain T'Vala
    Captain T'Vala deals 19 (226) Antiproton Damage to you with an unknown ability.
    Personal shields are low!
    Your Personal Shields absorbs 166 (138) damage.
    Captain T'Vala deals 52 (229) Antiproton Damage to you with Antiproton Bolt Spray.
    Captain T'Vala deals 215 (260) Antiproton Damage to you with Antiproton Bolt Spray.
    Captain T'Vala deals 199 (241) Antiproton Damage to you with Antiproton Bolt Spray.

etc. Managed to live through it all the same. You can see that the shields are absorbing some of the damage.

What I'm talking about in this bug report is a very different issue where phaser pistol damage completely ignores shield and does direct health damage. It's like it's being calculated as a melee attack. And from what I gathered it happens on every difficulty level, but outside of elite (and possibly advanced) the damage is usually too insignificant to notice.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ah... ok. I thought that this was part and parcel of the same bug. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't know about you all, but I am finding this is attributable to disruptor damage only.

NPCs like the Jem'Hadar, Mirror Universe etc. who are using non-disruptor weapons seem ok. Soon as you have a mission where the NPCs have disruptors, they blow through shields like paper.

I was going to make a post about this, but you all beat me to it. :)

I'm curious if the -Res attribute from Disruptors is being applied all the time and the value is way too high?
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    yeah personally this is happening to me, and i'm not sure why they would be doing almost 4 times the damage i am, and faster too. it's kinda a game breaker for me as right now i'm stuck in all my possible missions
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't know about you all, but I am finding this is attributable to disruptor damage only.

NPCs like the Jem'Hadar, Mirror Universe etc. who are using non-disruptor weapons seem ok. Soon as you have a mission where the NPCs have disruptors, they blow through shields like paper.
    I think this is a real good summary, I agree 100%
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ran a couple of B'Tran explorations last night on Elite... Borg ground missions were hard, but doable. Same for Terran Empire. Came across the Crimto and Vito'D on others and they blew through shields in 1 hit using disruptor weapons. More and more I am convinced there is something out of whack with the values for disruptor weapons and damage.

I'll also add I had a ground mission against some Remans that I dropped. The bosses with their psi army are ridiculosly absurd on Elite setting.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ran a couple of B'Tran explorations last night on Elite... Borg ground missions were hard, but doable. Same for Terran Empire. Came across the Crimto and Vito'D on others and they blew through shields in 1 hit using disruptor weapons. More and more I am convinced there is something out of whack with the values for disruptor weapons and damage.

This sounds like a very different issue. The problem I'm describing with NPC phaser pistols is not a case of them blowing away the shields. It's a problem where the phaser pistols are acting like melee attacks and completely ignoring the shields, instead doing direct health damage while leaving the shields completely intact.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Combadge wrote:
    This sounds like a very different issue. The problem I'm describing with NPC phaser pistols is not a case of them blowing away the shields. It's a problem where the phaser pistols are acting like melee attacks and completely ignoring the shields, instead doing direct health damage while leaving the shields completely intact.

The point being, something is out of whack, whether it be energy weapons acting like melee bypassing shields or certain energy types 1 shotting shields.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The point being, something is out of whack, whether it be energy weapons acting like melee bypassing shields or certain energy types 1 shotting shields.

Yeah, it's just there are about a dozen threads already on the problem you're talking about and I would prefer this thread regarding a very different and specific bug not become another. The difference is the bug you're talking about is an issue of balance - should certain attacks be able to rip through shields so easily. We don't like it but the developer intention is still unknown and open to debate. But the problem with these phaser pistols is a bonafide real bug - ranged energy attacks should not be behaving like melee damage and ignoring shields completely.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Combadge wrote:
    But here's another portion of the combat log from the same fight:

"Engineer deals 27 Phaser Damage to you with Phaser Pistol."
    "Medic deals 16 Phaser Damage to you with Phaser Pistol."

Now what the heck is happening there? That is *while* I have *full* personal shields. And yet the damage is completely ignoring it. And I can see this clearly on my character portrait, represented by a full, unscathed shield bar and a rapidly diminishing health bar. Since no resistance to the attack is being reported is indirectly mentioned in the log either, I assume it's also being ignored.

Needless to say, when several starfleet medics and engineers are shooting at you with their phaser pistols, your health starts to drop rapidly. Shields sit pretty, though.

Add Cardassian Interrogators to the list of NPCs who use shield-ignoring phaser pistols.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Combadge wrote:
    But the problem with these phaser pistols is a bonafide real bug - ranged energy attacks should not be behaving like melee damage and ignoring shields completely.

So is the results with disruptor damage I added. They could very well be related to the same thing you know... more information for them is better.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So is the results with disruptor damage I added. They could very well be related to the same thing you know... more information for them is better.

Are the disruptor weapons ignoring shields then? You said "they blew through shields in 1 hit using disruptor weapons", which makes it sound like a problem with obscene amounts of damage, rather than a case of fairly normal damage that isn't being applied to shields (just like melee attacks work). Those sound like two very different issues.

There's nothing out of whack from a damage perspective with these phaser pistol attacks.. they do about 30-50 damage on elite. The problem is that they're subtracting that total directly from the health bar and completely bypassing any protection that shields offer.

Disruptors hitting for 300-400 points and one or two-shotting your shields first and then your health would be a completely different and unrelated matter, and many threads are discussing this problem already.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Add phaser turrets to the list of ranged weapons that are ignoring shields. Particularly nasty if you happen upon a nest of 4 or 5 of them in elite mode.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This has seemed to been buried under a whole truckload of other things, so I'm going to go ahead and bump it up with my own experience. I saw this post a few days ago, so that's how I know this is where to go for this issue. :D

Combadge is right; I was on my RA char earlier today doing the daily in B'Tran and ran up against some Terran Empire guys. Remembered this thread and decided to watch my health bar. The phaser pistols completely and utterly ignored the shields, as did the turrets that the Mirror Engineers dropped.

It was only on Advanced so I was able to do it, but it's still quite odd. I don't do Elite solo... call me a wuss. x3
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This bug still exists as of 5/19/10.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    edit: removing incorrect info in this particular post.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Status update: This bug still exists as of patch 1.2.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hi, you can add turrets from the Ground War Zone mission to the bypass shield faction, too.

Actually not all of them bypass shields, I think there are Plasma and Phaser Turrets.

But in the bunch of 3 turrets at least one bypasses your shields. Next time I do that mission I'll try to see which one. I'm doing it the way that I attack the turrets 1 by 1 - as said, some are making shield damage first, some are just ignoring the shields all together.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The_MadTom wrote: »
    Hi, you can add turrets from the Ground War Zone mission to the bypass shield faction, too.

Actually not all of them bypass shields, I think there are Plasma and Phaser Turrets.

But in the bunch of 3 turrets at least one bypasses your shields. Next time I do that mission I'll try to see which one. I'm doing it the way that I attack the turrets 1 by 1 - as said, some are making shield damage first, some are just ignoring the shields all together.

I've seen this as well on that particular map. When being fired on by a nest of turrets like that it's difficult to tell which of them is doing direct health damage, but some of them definitely are.