Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance (March 26, 2010)

13»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Honestly, I have not had any real issues with instability in STO until today and the day of head start. A crash here and there, but I got those in other MMO's.

Now, not to say that the costume options being messed up.. or lack of content is not an issue... because it is. But stability? I really have not had an issue with it.

And that free to play MMO.. how many people play that game? 10,000 maybe? This game has well over 100,000 players on it! That makes that free to play MMO not even a viable comparrison. I would have to check out that game to see what you are talking about, but if the graphics and engine are not dynamic like the one Cryptic is using, then I would say again, does not compare.

I'm no fanboi of Cryptic. They do make fun games tho. It's also a new engine for them. Not even a year old tested and approved. Champions uses the same engine. That game has only been out about 6 months now.

If you want to flame a game, flame a game that has been out for years and still has major instability issues. This game is still brand new!

If the game is not fun for you, stop paying for it and stop playing it. I enjoy STO. I will get bored with it eventually due to lack of content and I will go back to other MMO's that are still fun to play. OR.. I will go hiking, camping, boating or some other activity that is also fun for me.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hypricon wrote: »
    Honestly, I have not had any real issues with instability in STO until today and the day of head start. A crash here and there, but I got those in other MMO's.

Now, not to say that the costume options being messed up.. or lack of content is not an issue... because it is. But stability? I really have not had an issue with it.

And that free to play MMO.. how many people play that game? 10,000 maybe? This game has well over 100,000 players on it! That makes that free to play MMO not even a viable comparrison. I would have to check out that game to see what you are talking about, but if the graphics and engine are not dynamic like the one Cryptic is using, then I would say again, does not compare.

I'm no fanboi of Cryptic. They do make fun games tho. It's also a new engine for them. Not even a year old tested and approved. Champions uses the same engine. That game has only been out about 6 months now.

If you want to flame a game, flame a game that has been out for years and still has major instability issues. This game is still brand new!

If the game is not fun for you, stop paying for it and stop playing it. I enjoy STO. I will get bored with it eventually due to lack of content and I will go back to other MMO's that are still fun to play. OR.. I will go hiking, camping, boating or some other activity that is also fun for me.

Haha, you must be joking. What you really mean is that this game WOULD have 100k people on it, IF it weren't FUBAR.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JoeShmuck wrote: »
    Have you been playing the same game as me?
    WTF? Are you kidding? The level of issues this game has had, since I joined (paying 3 months at a time....BIG mistake) is ALPHA level issues! A beta is bad enough to release to paying customers, but ALPHA?!
    This is the quickest way to destroy a companies name.

BTW, Runes of Magic is a free to play MMO. I've been through 2 major updates and NOT ONCE, did the server go down, or the game become unplayable. Minor issues? Yes. Complete server instability, before an after said patch? No. Can STO say the same for it's PAY to play product?

So spare me the the tripe about "This happens to all MMO's"....it doesn't!

What are some of the Alpha level issues you are talking about anyways? I would like to hear what they are.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Haha, you must be joking. What you really mean is that this game WOULD have 100k people on it, IF it weren't FUBAR.

STO has over 100k subscribers. Fact.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    STO has over 100k subscribers. Fact.

And how many can actually play?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    And how many can actually play?

ATM.. lol... probably none of them. It's called an ongoing issue. $#!% happens
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Is any one else having patching issues, keeps disconeting and will not advance the patch %
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    What are some of the Alpha level issues you are talking about anyways? I would like to hear what they are.

Wow, are u kidding?
    First off, Runes of Magic has over 1 MILLION players!! And a Pay for play with 100,000 can't stay stable?!

Alpha issues:
    Missions given to go to a system, without specifying what sector, or any hint whatsoever as to it's location. Also no ability to search for locations.

Sudden client crash in doorways.

Major memory leak in client, causing textures to be suddenly reduced.

Inability to enter mission at system, because auto navigate brings you to base, which SHOULD be but is NOT enter able.

Missions were main character disappears, never to be seen again, requiring mission to be dropped and started over.

1st patch to "fix" SLI Nvidia setup, borks ALL ATI cards. This level of Non-testing is disgraceful.

This is just some cursory stuff off the top of my head.
    I tried to bite my tongue, hoping that they were rushed do deliver product that would be quickly patched.
    Although having been an Alpha and Beta tester, it is clear that this should NOT have been released to a paying public.
    Patches released have caused more problems than they fixed, which reveals an underlying "core" code problem. This is CLEARY a pre-beta version.

If you had no issues, then I suspect your system is similar to what the code was compiled on. However, in "Real life" there are MANY DIFFERENT configurations, which REQUIRE extensive testing. This is what the Alpha stage is for. Beta is for an even broader test of code that you "believe" is perfect. Beta is for sussing out minor glitches, NOT major ones.

Since I can't play currently, I did some research online for reviews of this game. Guess what....most of the early reviews say that this is a Bad beta at best. Low scores across the board, for "issues". So, at least I know I'm not alone, on this.

But in reality, YOU don't need to go any further than THIS forum, and SEE ALL the posted "issues", to know that YOU are in the minority of those who play this game.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Correction:
    I said Runes of Magic has over 1 million players. While the the statement is TRUE, it downplays it. Actual number is OVER 3 Million.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1078785p1.html
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JoeShmuck wrote: »
    Wow, are u kidding?
    First off, Runes of Magic has over 1 MILLION players!! And a Pay for play with 100,000 can't stay stable?!

Alpha issues:
    Missions given to go to a system, without specifying what sector, or any hint whatsoever as to it's location. Also no ability to search for locations.

Sudden client crash in doorways.

Major memory leak in client, causing textures to be suddenly reduced.

Inability to enter mission at system, because auto navigate brings you to base, which SHOULD be but is NOT enter able.

Missions were main character disappears, never to be seen again, requiring mission to be dropped and started over.

1st patch to "fix" SLI Nvidia setup, borks ALL ATI cards. This level of Non-testing is disgraceful.

This is just some cursory stuff off the top of my head.
    I tried to bite my tongue, hoping that they were rushed do deliver product that would be quickly patched.
    Although having been an Alpha and Beta tester, it is clear that this should NOT have been released to a paying public.
    Patches released have caused more problems than they fixed, which reveals an underlying "core" code problem. This is CLEARY a pre-beta version.

If you had no issues, then I suspect your system is similar to what the code was compiled on. However, in "Real life" there are MANY DIFFERENT configurations, which REQUIRE extensive testing. This is what the Alpha stage is for. Beta is for an even broader test of code that you "believe" is perfect. Beta is for sussing out minor glitches, NOT major ones.

Since I can't play currently, I did some research online for reviews of this game. Guess what....most of the early reviews say that this is a Bad beta at best. Low scores across the board, for "issues". So, at least I know I'm not alone, on this.

But in reality, YOU don't need to go any further than THIS forum, and SEE ALL the posted "issues", to know that YOU are in the minority of those who play this game.

I think you are right.. my computer must be built with STO in mind unknowingly.. cause I have had none of those issues. The missions not explaining where to go.. that is people who cannot read a map. The missions state which system they are in.. and you can look at the galaxy map to find that much out.

That MMO you spoke of having millions of players... has it been out for more than 3 or 4 years? If so, that could be a good reason for the stability. And I gaurantee that there are not over a million people playing that game. That is something I would love to see the numbers on.

If you cannot play STO, why are you even posting on the forums unless you are trolling a game you cannot even play!?

At any rate, I hope that you have a great time playing whatever MMO you play. I, for one among many, rather enjoy STO and will play it until it goes under. I hope that day is many many years from now.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It looks like an interesting game. I'm betting there isn't nearly as much involved in the engine as STO or Aion or even Freelancer tho. Smooth graphics. Decent detail. At least, that's what I see from the pictures. Doesn't look like there are thousands of asteroids floating around as well as space dust and distant stars.. not to mention the detailed planets and such. All of which increadibly detailed! Moving and such. That takes some engine power!

RoM looks decent for sure tho. I bet it is a good game.. and it is free as well. Go get em Joe!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think you are right.. my computer must be built with STO in mind unknowingly.. cause I have had none of those issues. The missions not explaining where to go.. that is people who cannot read a map. The missions state which system they are in.. and you can look at the galaxy map to find that much out.

That MMO you spoke of having millions of players... has it been out for more than 3 or 4 years? If so, that could be a good reason for the stability. And I gaurantee that there are not over a million people playing that game. That is something I would love to see the numbers on.

If you cannot play STO, why are you even posting on the forums unless you are trolling a game you cannot even play!?

At any rate, I hope that you have a great time playing whatever MMO you play. I, for one among many, rather enjoy STO and will play it until it goes under. I hope that day is many many years from now.

Perhaps you missed my previous post.
    RoM is 1 year old.
    Here's a link 4 you. http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1078785p1.html

I can not play ATM, just like everyone else. I'm a PAYING customer. hardly "trolling" since I paid for 3 months at a time.
    As I've already stated, I bit my tongue since:
    1. Because I'm a HUGE Trek fan.
    2. Cryptic has(had?) a good reputation, and believed their would be some quick patches to fix the major issues.
    3.I went to Del Taco (I HATE tacos) to get a 3 day trial.
    4.I only PAY for games I WANT to play.

I. at first, believed my "trial" version was gimped, and that the major issues were from the trial client....clearly not. The fact that they didn't release an open trial indicates to me, that they KNEW their were major issues.

I'm really happy you are 1 of the few, that has had no issues. However, since it "appears" that more than half of the small 100,000 user base ARE having similar problems, count your blessings and realize that word of mouth will keep the user base small.

BTW, you made me realize another issue, on the map, if you are not in the sector of you mission, the solar system you are looking for will not show in the galaxy map UNTIL you enter the correct sector. Which kinda sucks, when they don't TELL YOU what sector to go to.
    Zone chat has been my biggest friend, since 2 hours of randomly flying around to various sectors, blows chunks.
    THANKFULLY, they FIXED this in the "Season One" update. NOW, missions are clearly defined. Kudos for that. But, BOO for making me wait 2 months for something that should have been there from the beginning. Cryptic isn't NEW to MMO.....basic stuff like this should never have made to retail release day.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It looks like an interesting game. I'm betting there isn't nearly as much involved in the engine as STO or Aion or even Freelancer tho. Smooth graphics. Decent detail. At least, that's what I see from the pictures. Doesn't look like there are thousands of asteroids floating around as well as space dust and distant stars.. not to mention the detailed planets and such. All of which increadibly detailed! Moving and such. That takes some engine power!

RoM looks decent for sure tho. I bet it is a good game.. and it is free as well. Go get em Joe!

No offense, but you sure SOUND like a fanboy. Really, apples and oranges.
    If you like RPG's play it for yourself, I bore easily with RPG's.
    Played City of Heroes for 6 months got bored, quit. Saw it again years later, downloaded 15 day trial, played 1 month(paid) remembered why I stopped playing the first time, quit.

BTW, Cryptic was the maker of City of Heroes, so I assumed they knew what they were doing as far as MMO's go. And since I LOVE Star Trek, I ASSUMED it would be good. AND it IS.....when it WORKS.

But as for this nonsense of "Doesn't look like there are thousands of asteroids floating around as well as space dust and distant stars"....are you pulling my chain?! Empty space with random dust, is MORE detailed than a ground level game?!?!
    If your NOT kidding, you are a fanboy or insane.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No fanboy here. The following are some of the things I absolutely HATE about Cryptic;

1. Customer Service sucks so bad that the wind patterns actually make a cyclone around Cryptic Studios.

2. Cryptic games always get released content light.

3. Cryptic games are always buggy and their large patches always break stuff.

4. Cryptic loves to sell items the C-Store which are mostly overpriced, and some should be normal content for everyone.

5. Cryptic honestly believes that 'balancing' something means to utterly destroy the fun factor of the game. I like to call it wielding the Nerf Bat of Galactic Destruction.

Now those are the biggest things that bother me about Cryptic.

Some of the things I like about their games are as follows;

1. Their games are fun to play, until they nerf everything.

2. The customization of characters is really good stuff.

3. ..... cannot think of anything else honestly.

As for RoM.. I did review the links. Looks like a decent game. Doesn't look like anything I would be interested in tho. I am not a Fantasy Gamer type. City of Heroes was my first MMO that I played and enjoyed. It honestly got better for a while there when it was sold to NCSoft... then turned into garbage when they made the AE TRIBBLE. I left the game due to the destruction that ensued from that horrible idea of user created content.

But you are absolutely right.. I must be a fanboy. I must be a fanboy because I have old fashioned American beliefs that individuals do not automatically deserve everything given to them on a silver platter. That everything should be instantaneously done. Maybe I am just an old TRIBBLE. I know that todays day and age believe that if it is not immediate, it is TRIBBLE.

Good things come to those who wait patiently and watch diligently my friend. Nobody deserves anything automatically. Yes, we pay a subscription monthly for a service. Sometimes service goes out. TRIBBLE happens. Deal with it the best you can. Life goes on.