test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is Season One enough to keep subscribers?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Chronico wrote: »
    Sanbox mean more open content to explore more worlds to expolre other than the small zones you zone into You know games like GTA WOW EQ Fallout to name a few have waaay more sandbox than this game..

I know what Sandbox is...

GTA = Sandbox

WoW = WTH?? Wow is not a sandbox...

Fallout = Sandbox
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Popkornn wrote:
    I know what Sandbox is...

GTA = Sandbox

WoW = WTH?? Wow is not a sandbox...

Fallout = Sandbox

WOW and EQ are most definatly sanbox cause you can go anywhere you want to go and do just about anything. Sanbox is a term used to describe any game that you can go around and explore/ do after you finish the most of the main stroyline.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Chronico wrote: »
    WOW and EQ are most definatly sanbox cause you can go anywhere you want to go and do just about anything. Sanbox is a term used to describe any game that you can go around and explore/ do after you finish the most of the main stroyline.

Then by your standards just about every MMO ever released is sandbox...

/facepalm
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Popkornn wrote:
    Then by your standards just about every MMO ever released is sandbox...

/facepalm

How do you think more and more single player roleplaying games starting adding SAnbox in give you a hint its because of EQ and Final fantasy. Anyway im done arguing obviusly both of us have different opinions on sandbox.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think better examples of "sand box" games are EVE and Ultima Online. UO had so much sandbox stuff to do from breeding plants to breeding fish. No levels at all the whole game was skill based. EVE you just do whatever you want from what I gather.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JamesH2010 wrote:
    I think better examples of "sand box" games are EVE and Ultima Online. UO had so much sandbox stuff to do from breeding plants to breeding fish. No levels at all the whole game was skill based. EVE you just do whatever you want from what I gather.

I just don't think we can start making every game a sandbox... EVE is a true sandbox... STO is 1/4 sandbox with 900 instances and loading screens... and the game-play is very linear since there is one way to level, running starfleets missions (only)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JamesH2010 wrote:

I never played UO but from what i hear it was a great game I played EQ mainly then quit and tried a bunch off other MMo's, I Just put in ones that I have played and have had sandbox in it. However some i have played some that did not like POTBS.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Seliak wrote: »
    and that right there is the problem with this country , you pay for a service my friend , its not mandatory , you CHOOSE to do so , it dose not give you the right to be a JackO$$ .

LOL! You did note that the poster lives in Scotland?

Still, I paid to NOT hear their whining. :p
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    season 2 will probaly be where the meat is
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    From reading these pages and seeing what people write in regards to the game issues all I can say is OMG, STFU.

I think most people forget that STO is 45 days old and that it takes time and hard work to not only develop the ideas for new content but to write it, code it, test it, implement it, etc. Cryptic is doing a very nice job with this game IMO and even though I have not lifetime'd yet I am considering it.

The thing is I know that most people are tired of playing games that are pretty bad and do not try, but STO is not one of them. Sure it is going to take time to "flesh" out this game but the more Cryptic tries to make EVERYONE happy the more this game will become a carbon copy of other lets-give-everyone-everything-and-make-it-to-easy-and-not-challenging-anymore type games. Cryptic needs to keep doing what they are doing and get ideas from the masses, not cater to them.

Sadly the more I read on the forums, the more I come to understand just how much most people like to complain about nothing. I am not a big forums poster mainly because I do not want to get involved in the petty, pointless arguments so when I post it is just me throwing in my 2 cents.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Popkornn wrote:
    I just don't think we can start making every game a sandbox... EVE is a true sandbox... STO is 1/4 sandbox with 900 instances and loading screens... and the game-play is very linear since there is one way to level, running starfleets missions (only)

I would never call STO a sandbox game. There is literally nothing to do other than kill stuff or do exploration missions.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    tssmith78 wrote: »
    From reading these pages and seeing what people write in regards to the game issues all I can say is OMG, STFU.

I think most people forget that STO is 45 days old and that it takes time and hard work to not only develop the ideas for new content but to write it, code it, test it, implement it, etc. Cryptic is doing a very nice job with this game IMO and even though I have not lifetime'd yet I am considering it.

The thing is I know that most people are tired of playing games that are pretty bad and do not try, but STO is not one of them. Sure it is going to take time to "flesh" out this game but the more Cryptic tries to make EVERYONE happy the more this game will become a carbon copy of other lets-give-everyone-everything-and-make-it-to-easy-and-not-challenging-anymore type games. Cryptic needs to keep doing what they are doing and get ideas from the masses, not cater to them.

Sadly the more I read on the forums, the more I come to understand just how much most people like to complain about nothing. I am not a big forums poster mainly because I do not want to get involved in the petty, pointless arguments so when I post it is just me throwing in my 2 cents.

So let me get this straight. You are complaining about people complaining? If you dont want to get involved in this and other threads like it why are you posting here?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JamesH2010 wrote:
    UO had so much sandbox stuff to do from breeding plants to breeding fish. No levels at all the whole game was skill based.

This is true. But IT WAS NOT TRUE at launch. It took years of development to get to the point where we were breeding plants and fish.

When UO 1st came out, it was so poorly done that Computer Gaming World (THE gaming review magazine... of its time) officially designated it as "Coaster of the Year" - meaning the CD was fit only for keeping your drink from messing up your table. The outcries of "This game will never make it!" were hot and heavy... much like here. I know, I was Charter and stuck with UO for YEARS.

13 years later.... you can still play it. UO

This gives me hope for STO's future. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mikus wrote:
    This is true. But IT WAS NOT TRUE at launch. It took years of development to get to the point where we were breeding plants and fish.

When UO 1st came out, it was so poorly done that Computer Gaming World (THE gaming review magazine... of its time) officially designated it as "Coaster of the Year" - meaning the CD was fit only for keeping your drink from messing up your table. The outcries of "This game will never make it!" were hot and heavy... much like here. I know, I was Charter and stuck with UO for YEARS.

13 years later.... you can still play it. UO

This gives me hope for STO's future. ;)

To me UO was at its best at launch. I had a player run city me and some other people banded together to make. We had a vendor mall, museum and an auction house. People had to band together or you would get killed/robbed of anything you had otherwise. I even hired security so people could shop in safety. I got more and more jaded with it and then they split the worlds and the original side was deserted shortly thereafter.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Here is my take, either being the obvious, it will or it wont. Either ways, the game will NOT die, people will get bored, some will let their sub expire and play other games for a few months till more new content is available, and then comeback with a renewed feeling.

This game can only get better from this point. If people are bored with it, take a break for a bit then comeback, that is not a sin. I personally been playing God of war III (awesome game) and final fantasy XIII (again, awesome, but not as awesome as GoW III) I still log in for a hour or so every night run 1 or 2 missions, then play PS3 rest of night.