test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is Season One enough to keep subscribers?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Popkornn wrote:
    Well, couple weeks after launch Atari decided to start selling the game cheaper and with 60 days of free game time...

People got ****ed and cried night after night.

I sat here and laughed at crying kids.

Night after Night

Seriously people were in an uproar over that? Man I wish the only thing I had to worry about is some company offering a discount on a game. So this salegate thing everyone talks about was a simple discount on the game? You have got to be kidding me.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JamesH2010 wrote:
    Seriously people were in an uproar over that? Man I wish the only thing I had to worry about is some company offering a discount on a game. So this salegate thing everyone talks about was a simple discount on the game? You have got to be kidding me.

Well to be exact it was 3 weeks after launch and total money discounted (With free 60 days) was 25 dollars. Which 25 dollars to someone 3 weeks after purchase could seem like a lot of money (I am thinking kids here)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JamesH2010 wrote:

I dont think people had a problem with the discount per se but more with the timing of it.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JamesH2010 wrote:

Well, the discount is not the reason why the salesgate is famous : the tears are.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Delazure wrote: »
    Well, the discount is not the reason why the salesgate is famous : the tears are.

The was enough tears to fill up 25 swimming pools (Olympic Size). People couldn't handle it and they moved out of the country!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I dont think people had a problem with the discount per se but more with the timing of it.

Most games have discounts after launch. I do not see why anyone would care. They got in early and got things others did not for preordering. I mean STO was on sale last I checked for $29.95 which is $30 less than what I paid for it. I am not complaining because I bought it before it went on sale.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JamesH2010 wrote:
    Most games have discounts after launch. I do not see why anyone would care. They got in early and got things others did not for preordering. I mean STO was on sale last I checked for $29.95 which is $30 less than what I paid for it. I am not complaining because I bought it before it went on sale.

Yes, but we are talking cheaper + collectors edition + 60 days of free game play - All within the first 20 days of the game launching. The masses were not happy. As a lifetime member I just helped them QQ (but in reality I was very happy with Cryptic's Decision)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JamesH2010 wrote:

like i said i don't think it was the discount i think it was more the timing of it and the fact that it had 60 days of free game time bring the cost of playing to 5 dollars a month. But i did not care i did not have a pony in the race. But it was extremely entertaining to watch.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Popkornn wrote:
    Yes, but we are talking cheaper + collectors edition + 60 days of free game play - All within the first 20 days of the game launching. The masses were not happy. As a lifetime member I just helped them QQ (but in reality I was very happy with Cryptic's Decision)

Well to me thats just childish to complain because someone got something cheaper than you did. Is this sale still going on? I dont need 60 days time I paid for a year but I would like the collectoirs edition cheap.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    JamesH2010 wrote:
    Well to me thats just childish to complain because someone got something cheaper than you did. Is this sale still going on? I dont need 60 days time I paid for a year but I would like the collectoirs edition cheap.

The hate was so strong Cryptic changed the sale to not include the 30 days within days of the sale going live...

I believe many people no longer play the game because of Salegate...

Its good stuff when people QQ then quit then I swoop into there QQ final post to be the first reply in the post.

"Can I haz your stuff?"
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Season One - meh. Has a couple of things that are "nice to have" but that's it.

As someone who intended to play Klingon I'm disappointed in the update, but to be honest, anything short of a biblical performance by Cryptic wasn't going to float my boat. I would have taken it as a good sign if Season One was delivering more Klingon "stuff" than Fed "stuff", but that doesn't appear to be the case, it sends the opposite message.

So no, it isn't enough to keep me as a customer. I may play out the Fed PvE storyline to see where it goes, but the Klingon faction is dead to me.

Maybe in a year the will have made PvP interesting, added significant Klingon storyline, gotten around to Klingon character/ship customization and sorted out play balance. My guess is it will take longer than a year.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Not because it will not rise or remove skill cap. Respec will not give me more maxed RA5 skills than single one which is ridiculous. So nothing new in Season 1 update for me.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    D.R.O. wrote:
    Not because it will not rise or remove skill cap. Respec will not give me more maxed RA5 skills than single one which is ridiculous. So nothing new in Season 1 update for me.

Yeah, if I'm at RA 5, shouldn't I be able to put my points wherever I want? Its not like I'm gonna get demoted or anything...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    No game can pump out content fast enough these days for any player base it seems, it will keep some folks around for awhile, the only way to make content last longer is to slow down the leveling curve, then we would lose players because the game is to hard and allto of folks just don't have time to level in a steep level curve, its a tough job for any gaming company these days, community keeps allot of people around, from what I have seen in STO, the community is not that tight, like in other mmo's I have played, plus this game is going though what all new mmo's go though, more content is coming, bug fixes, balance passes, no mmo out today started with enough content or end game in place, I think allot of folks forgot just how bare, the mmo they might be playing was at launch, it took years to get were they are today, plus with so many mmo's and free to play games, player bases seem to be more transient than they used to be.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Popkornn wrote:
    There is not enough meat on season one's bones.

Any subscribers not continuing due to season one being lite on content?

Its become clear over the last week or so that Cryptic have only just started to plan the real Klingon content while hiding behind the players hope that the so called 45 day patch would contain the missing PvE. Now I know that there is no way it will appear before the middle of the year I will be taking a few months break. Why?

Simple, for me season one does not even come close to fleshing out the game. While I do think Cryptic have the basic engine right, I also think there is a long way to go before the game has enough content to make it worth while for me to pay for. In all the Star Trek games I have ever played I do not play for the Federation, I was already bored as a fed by the time I got to 6th level.

There are some nice pvp features being added in season one but a lot more is needed but that is the same all over the game. More content, in all areas.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kirkfat wrote: »
    There really isn't much to the update at all. A few cosmetic things here and there, plus a few nice small changes. As far as actual content to keep people engaged for another few months, I don't see anything in season 1 that will do that.

I really wish Cryptic would just shift gears competely and focus on user-generated content. It could save the game by enlisitng hundreds of us to contribute to ingame content.

They did the exact same with CO, and people seem to be surprised they are doing this with STO. I am not sure why.

All of their updates seem to be cosmetic, slight bug fixes, and C-Store implementations. If meat is what people are looking for, Cryptic is not for them.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I just reached Captain last week so I haven't reached end game yet. I'm still finding things to do and keep myself entertained. Adding fluff to the game makes the journey a little nicer, so I appreciate it.

After I reach end game I probably will max out all my gear and then make a Klingon or Orion and play that to max. If they add more variety to some of the exploration missions and a couple new story line missions here and there that would be great.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There really isn't much in the way of content at Admiral. And we also tried to tell them that it was a huge mistake to make a capped player an Admiral...

Some of the changes to make the fleet actions scale, etc, will add more content for us, but it's not really new content it's recycled old content. They really should have delayed release for 6 months until they could have a real endgame in place.

There is plenty of content for leveling, and a huge problem in the leveling curve. It's too slow from Lt to Lt Commander, then too fast from there to Admiral, which you can do in a week with any determination.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    wgc01 wrote: »
    No game can pump out content fast enough these days for any player base it seems, it will keep some folks around for awhile, the only way to make content last longer is to slow down the leveling curve, then we would lose players because the game is to hard and allto of folks just don't have time to level in a steep level curve, its a tough job for any gaming company these days, community keeps allot of people around, from what I have seen in STO, the community is not that tight, like in other mmo's I have played, plus this game is going though what all new mmo's go though, more content is coming, bug fixes, balance passes, no mmo out today started with enough content or end game in place, I think allot of folks forgot just how bare, the mmo they might be playing was at launch, it took years to get were they are today, plus with so many mmo's and free to play games, player bases seem to be more transient than they used to be.

Yeah except most MMO's tha come out have allot more exploration content in the game than STO has atm. IF this game had actually a sandbox feel I am sure allot of people would not be bored or mad, and would not mind that there is not endgame content.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think they'd get the best results by revamping and expanding the exploration content. They need to up the variety of the missions, as well as add more and more sectors.

They also need to throw some curveballs in. What if you encounter a new, alien species that has a plan to destroy the Federation? What if you and your crew bite off more than you can chew and (by design) what was a routine mission now needs your fleet to intervene? (ie: an escalating mission).

Stuff like that needs to be in there.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This thread has become quite useless.

I mean you have one group that rushes through every MMORPG coming out trying to get to the elusive end game content. These folks basically rush through whatever content you throw at them and then they start whining when things run out. Let's be honest here: For this group there is never enough content no matter how much content there is.

The second group is having an idea of what a game should be like. Their idea typically conflicts with the ideas of many other groups, but they believe their ideas to be superior and so they don't care... In general this group typically consist of a larger group of PVP lovers. They also run from new game to new game without ever finding what they are looking for. Why? I am not sure, but I guess that pure PVP MMORPGs are simply not mainstream. In case you haven't noticed. Star Trek is not about PVP!

That leaves another group which I am hoping is the biggest group here. The people who just play and enjoy the game. These folks typically don't level that fast because they don't have the time to play every day (or to reply to useless threads on a forum for that matter).

I really don't see the point of this discussion. If you don't like STO, you should move on and if you like it, you should make constructive suggestions.

That said I don't want people to think that I am super happy with the game. I did expect the game to be quite different as well. I was hoping for shared ships (e.g. one player per bridge console) and much more exploration content. I was also hoping for dynamic content that would have an impact on the story line.

Well, we didn't get it. Instead we got a very generic and mainstream game which is fun at times, but probably won't last forever. Enough said!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Raynor wrote:
    This thread has become quite useless.

I mean you have one group that rushes through every MMORPG coming out trying to get to the elusive end game content. These folks basically rush through whatever content you throw at them and then they start whining when things run out. Let's be honest here: For this group there is never enough content no matter how much content there is.

The second group is having an idea of what a game should be like. Their idea typically conflicts with the ideas of many other groups, but they believe their ideas to be superior and so they don't care... In general this group typically consist of a larger group of PVP lovers. They also run from new game to new game without ever finding what they are looking for. Why? I am not sure, but I guess that pure PVP MMORPGs are simply not mainstream. In case you haven't noticed. Star Trek is not about PVP!

That leaves another group which I am hoping is the biggest group here. The people who just play and enjoy the game. These folks typically don't level that fast because they don't have the time to play every day (or to reply to useless threads on a forum for that matter).

I really don't see the point of this discussion. If you don't like STO, you should move on and if you like it, you should make constructive suggestions.

That is why sandbox systems are superior to static content systems. If Cryptic would properly embrace sandbox, content would invent itself.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I completely agree with you. Only problem is that Cryptic doesn't agree with us.

So far everything is tailored to MMORPG beginners. They wanted a game for the masses that is easily accessible. Can't blame them for that. Only problem is that their current recipe might fail to keep the masses...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Jshign wrote:
    Let's face it...it's still being implemented on the Tribble AND it has eleven days before it is late. There may be a lot more that just has yet to get tested. Why is it that people always predict doom and gloom right away?

I thought it was supposed to be a 45 day patch ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Loxanna wrote:
    I thought it was supposed to be a 45 day patch ;)

I thought the same thing, however when I decided to rename this patch to the 52 day patch I was flamed...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Raynor wrote:
    I completely agree with you. Only problem is that Cryptic doesn't agree with us.

So far everything is tailored to MMORPG beginners. They wanted a game for the masses that is easily accessible. Can't blame them for that. Only problem is that their current recipe might fail to keep the masses...

Which they had to know wasn't going to happen, since the masses will expect the same amount of content going forward after Admiral that they had to get to Admiral.

This is probably why we launched with an under capacity server that they only reluctantly upgraded almost past the point of that being relevant anymore. They knew they were going to sell far more boxes than they'd retain subscribers past the first 30 days.

That said, the potential is there to add sandbox elements to this game and truly turn it into a Star Trek sandbox that has lots of long term play potential. If they put forth the effort. Frankly, I'd rather play a 100-150K subscriber "niche game" than an overloaded WOW-killer populated by WOW players. We've lost a lot of those people in the last few weeks, and frankly, it's made the game and the forums more enjoyable.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Popkornn wrote:
    I thought the same thing, however when I decided to rename this patch to the 52 day patch I was flamed...

Me smells a rat! I think they are spanning it out hoping to get another month out of people who want to see what the patch brings. I would have quit a while back but after the Amazon fiasco they gave me 60 extra days (Kudos to Amazon, A company that want to keep my custom so they reward me for mistakes they make unlike Cryptic). I think the games Ok but it should be moved to a MT model because what's there doesn't justify paying for IMHO. Oh well I am happily playing DA-O - Awakening and now that's how a game should be made ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    wildcat84 wrote: »
    Which they had to know wasn't going to happen, since the masses will expect the same amount of content going forward after Admiral that they had to get to Admiral.

This is probably why we launched with an under capacity server that they only reluctantly upgraded almost past the point of that being relevant anymore. They knew they were going to sell far more boxes than they'd retain subscribers past the first 30 days.

That said, the potential is there to add sandbox elements to this game and truly turn it into a Star Trek sandbox that has lots of long term play potential. If they put forth the effort. Frankly, I'd rather play a 100-150K subscriber "niche game" than an overloaded WOW-killer populated by WOW players. We've lost a lot of those people in the last few weeks, and frankly, it's made the game and the forums more enjoyable.

QFT more sandbox is needed not really content because you can add that in later, but sandbox is needed now . Not some cluster space that is a 40 by 40 zone same goes for the patrol missions, or the 10 by 10 zone you get once you beam down to planets. Bigger zone more places for people to explore and and visit or have there fleet hangout is badly needed.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Chronico wrote: »
    QFT more sandbox is needed not really content because you can add that in later, but sandbox is needed now . Not some cluster space that is a 40 by 40 zone same goes for the patrol missions, or the 10 by 10 zone you get once you beam down to planets. Bigger zone more places for people to explore and and visit or have there fleet hangout is badly needed.

What is this Sandbox you speak of exactly?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Popkornn wrote:
    What is this Sandbox you speak of exactly?

Sanbox mean more open content to explore more worlds to expolre other than the small zones you zone into You know games like GTA WOW EQ Fallout to name a few have waaay more sandbox than this game.. Notice some ideas is a mix of MMo and Roleplaying games.