test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will this video card work?? before I buy.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Graphical and Sound Issues
I getting a lenovo R61laptop and im wondering if the graphics card will run STO.

My 2 choices for cards are

* Intel PM965/GM965 graphics
* 128MB nVidia Quadro NVS 140M

Thanks for helping

Shaun
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I'll tell you right now, I have an x200t (tablet version of the x200) with a 96 MB integrated graphics (Intel X4500HD). It may not run pretty, but it runs just fine. Actually, it ran BETTER than the ATI radeon 5770 1 GB card that tried to fry itself for no reason on this game only. I can turn off the half resolution on the GMA4500 but i couldn't on the ATI or it would overheat and shutdown. Talk about ironic; the piddly 96MB integrated takes down a PCIe 1GB card. TABLET PC FTW.

In any case, I have a special spot for tablet PCs. But i haven't had any problems with lenovo's integrated graphics solutions, but you will likely get better performance out of the nVidia. It's a workstation card, sure, but it's definitely better than the integrated. Also, just a helpful hint, go to http://outlet.lenovo.com for the same things, but a lot cheaper. Got my tablet for almost 50% off the regular price. Just thought you'd like to know.

Enjoy choosing the best solution for you!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nice tip, thanks !
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No problem. I love my IBM/Lenovo machines. I've played on a lot a machines, and IBM/Lenovo has been a pretty solid thing. (Granted some of their things you have to watch out for as they are meh in the quality category. Go for the higher end stuff and you won't be disappointed.)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just bought the game and get a message before loading that i need to update my video drivers, I think I need to buy a new card but dont know what to buy at my price rage ( under $100 ) to be able to enjoy the game. I can run STO on my current one, but barely. can someone suggest a couple of cards that I might be able to get. I found even the 7950 ran for $299 ... and that is way to pricy for me. PLEASE help I found a reasonably priced Galaxy-NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB DDR2 but wasn't sure of how it might perform for STO.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just bought the game and get a message before loading that i need to update my video drivers, I think I need to buy a new card but dont know what to buy at my price rage ( under $100 ) to be able to enjoy the game. I can run STO on my current one, but barely. can someone suggest a couple of cards that I might be able to get. I found even the 7950 ran for $299 ... and that is way to pricy for me. PLEASE help I found a reasonably priced Galaxy-NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB DDR2 but wasn't sure of how it might perform for STO.

That 9500 would be terrible for this game.

Any chance you can throw up a dxdiag log? As what Gcard we can recomment for you will depend on your cpu and memory in your current system, especially pci-e or agp cards. Also, try and find out what wattage Power supply is in your computer.

Thre are many really good deals to be had with graphics cards lately. You might even be able to get a very cheap 9800GT if your current system can handle it.