test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to put the 30 day paid subscription on hold

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
OK, now that I've received a retail box that I paid for, entered the code and started this paid playtime.. I'm not satisfied with the game crashing daily, or being down for maintenance when I want to play, etc.

How do I put my subscription on hold? I don't want to waste the 30 days on this alpha-testing part of the game.. I'd be happy to come back when the bugs are worked out.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    You can't. The 30 days starts from when you activate the game, regardless of whether or not you play it.
    edited February 2010
    You can't. The 30 days starts from when you activate the game, regardless of whether or not you play it.

This. If you didn't want bugs in an MMO, you shouldn't have put your key in on the first week.
    edited February 2010

That's a shame. I suppose if there is no way to get satisfaction there's always a better business bureau complaint.
    edited February 2010
    Veive257 wrote: »
    That's a shame. I suppose if there is no way to get satisfaction there's always a better business bureau complaint.

You didn't read the EULA and the TOS, did you? They explicitly state that they can't promise uptime.
    edited February 2010
    You can only cancel your sub, which will run out at the end of the month. You will then lose your free 30 days. There is no way around it and there is no legal action you can take.

Terming the server issues as being an "alpha state" is over reactionary. Seriously, either get over it or go play a seasoned game of your choice that has moved past the growth bugs. This is normal for every MMORPG the first couple three weeks after launch.
    edited February 2010

You are certainly free to do that. I had to use the BBB recently against a company that I do business with regularly. I won't name names, but it is a company that I have always been satisfied with in the past.

The process went very smoothly, and the company did right by me in the end.

Your mileage may vary.
    edited February 2010
    This. If you didn't want bugs in an MMO, you shouldn't have put your key in on the first week.

I didn't realize this was an unproven technology. MMOs have been around for years, and this isn't Cryptic's first, but you are right, and I was foolish.

* BUYER BEWARE *

Oh well. Point taken. Understood.

Now, please only respond if you have an answer to my post.
    edited February 2010
    I didn't realize this was an unproven technology. MMOs have been around for years, and this isn't Cryptic's first, but you are right, and I was foolish.

* BUYER BEWARE *

Oh well. Point taken. Understood.

Now, please only respond if you have an answer to my post.

You're right. MMO's have been around for years. However, the server stability you seem to demand is a very rare exception, not anywhere near the rule, at this point in the game's lifetime.
    edited February 2010
    You didn't read the EULA and the TOS, did you? They explicitly state that they can't promise uptime.

I had to open my box to get at them, and that makes my purchase non-refundable from amazon. Thanks for pointing out my ignorance though.
    edited February 2010
    How much uptime should be expected? Is 20 hours per day unreasonable?

We've averaged about 19. Is that unreasonable?
    edited February 2010
    You're right. MMO's have been around for years. However, the server stability you seem to demand is a very rare exception, not anywhere near the rule, at this point in the game's lifetime.

How much uptime should be expected? Is 20 hours per day unreasonable?
    edited February 2010
    I had to open my box to get at them, and that makes my purchase non-refundable from amazon. Thanks for pointing out my ignorance though.

They had them up during the headstart, too.
    edited February 2010
    Ayenn wrote:
    You can only cancel your sub, which will run out at the end of the month. You will then lose your free 30 days. There is no way around it and there is no legal action you can take.

Terming the server issues as being an "alpha state" is over reactionary. Seriously, either get over it or go play a seasoned game of your choice that has moved past the growth bugs. This is normal for every MMORPG the first couple three weeks after launch.

Did somebody mention taking legal action? I'm looking for a way to wait out this buggy period and try again when the game is more stable. Is that over reactionary?

1. I bought something
    2. It doesn't work
    3. They are fixing it
    4. I'd like to wait until it is fixed

Please explain where I am being unreasonable.
    edited February 2010
    We've averaged about 19. Is that unreasonable?

Yes, I think 5 hours down per day, or 79% uptime, is pretty bad. I'm dissatisfied and I'd like to come back when they are able to reach 90% uptime.
    edited February 2010
    Did somebody mention taking legal action? I'm looking for a way to wait out this buggy period and try again when the game is more stable. Is that over reactionary?

1. I bought something
    2. It doesn't work
    3. They are fixing it
    4. I'd like to wait until it is fixed

Please explain where I am being unreasonable.

The only problem with number 2 is that it does work. All MMOs have down time, all MMOs have crashes. This is how MMO launches work. 19 hours of uptime a day, as posted by Jedi, is very good for a new MMO.
    edited February 2010
    Yes, I think 5 hours down per day, or 79% uptime, is pretty bad. I'm dissatisfied and I'd like to come back when they are able to reach 90% uptime.

It may be bad in your opinion, but, at not even a week after launch, it's better than about 90% of all MMO launches in history. If you want to wait, that's fine, but you really have no leg to stand on with a complaint to the BBB over this, as there's plenty of prior info on MMO server states at launch, and people have been talking about it since beta and headstart. There was more than enough info for you to be able to make the decision to not open that box for a month.
    edited February 2010

I LOLed. Good luck.
    edited February 2010
    Binball wrote:
    The only problem with number 2 is that it does work. All MMOs have down time, all MMOs have crashes. This is how MMO launches work. 19 hours of uptime a day, as posted by Jedi, is very good for a new MMO.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'm the only person who didn't know that.

I was using the word "work" to mean function as intended, or to be usable, which my game is not. If I should have expected it not to work, shame on me, but that doesn't mean that it does work. It just works well enough for people used to broken servers.
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the info. Maybe I'm the only person who didn't know that.

I was using the word "work" to mean function as intended, or to be usable, which my game is not. If I should have expected it not to work, shame on me, but that doesn't mean that it does work. It just works well enough for people used to broken servers.

Well, it's up now, but you're here, not playing. Maybe if you played when the servers were up, instead of whining on the forums, you'd have a better STO experience?
    edited February 2010
    I LOLed. Good luck.

Thanks!

I'm going to keep trying to get some satisfaction from the company, but otherwise I know where to go:

BBB of Silicon Valley
    (San Jose, CA)
    1112 S. Bascom Ave.
    San Jose, CA 95128
    Phone: (408)278-7400
    Fax: (408)278-7444
    Email: info@bbbsilicon.org
    Web: http://www.bbbsilicon.org
    edited February 2010
    No worries mate, we need more people to vent their frustrations here. Maybe cryptic will at least give some of you some extended game time. Personally I could care less since I'm not even paying right now anyways.

Everyone has their own issues with the game personally the downtime I could live with if they weren't trying to suck every last dollar from us via the c-store and if they could make it so ships could actually fly straight up or down. The downtime I could deal with though, not a big deal all mmos start out with some bumps in terms of server stability
    edited February 2010
    hatemenow wrote: »
    No worries mate, we need more people to vent their frustrations here. Maybe cryptic will at least give some of you some extended game time. Personally I could care less since I'm not even paying right now anyways.

Everyone has their own issues with the game personally the downtime I could live with if they weren't trying to suck every last dollar from us via the c-store and if they could make it so ships could actually fly straight up or down. The downtime I could deal with though, not a big deal all mmos start out with some bumps in terms of server stability

You're really complaining about the C-store? There's only two items in it! One of them is only a dollar!
    edited February 2010
    So you know, I have 10 open tickets dating back to January 29th with no response. I'll try calling Cryptic tomorrow to see if they would be willing to help me, but otherwise I'm not really interesting in wasting my money until the technical issues are cleared up.
    edited February 2010
    hatemenow wrote: »

You are smarter than I was, but thanks for the post. I enjoy the game, otherwise I wouldn't care that it didn't work yet..
    edited February 2010
    So you know, I have 10 open tickets dating back to January 29th with no response. I'll try calling Cryptic tomorrow to see if they would be willing to help me, but otherwise I'm not really interesting in wasting my money until the technical issues are cleared up.

Good luck with that. Since you demand guaranteed 90% uptime - something no other MMO has ever offered, or can offer - I don't see this phone call working out in a way that would make you happy.
    edited February 2010

Hahahahaha they can certainly promise plenty of downtime.
    edited February 2010
    Good luck with that. Since you demand guaranteed 90% uptime - something no other MMO has ever offered, or can offer - I don't see this phone call working out in a way that would make you happy.

Move along now, your messages have been received. You accept shoddy service. I don't. Understood.
    edited February 2010
    Thanks!

I'm going to keep trying to get some satisfaction from the company, but otherwise I know where to go:

BBB of Silicon Valley
    (San Jose, CA)
    1112 S. Bascom Ave.
    San Jose, CA 95128
    Phone: (408)278-7400
    Fax: (408)278-7444
    Email: info@bbbsilicon.org
    Web: http://www.bbbsilicon.org

You can try that but it won't help you.All MMORPGS are known for its technical difficulties and tech has not improved so much over the years to guarantee you 100% play time everyday.
    edited February 2010
    Move along now, your messages have been received. You accept shoddy service. I don't. Understood.

It's not that I accept shoddy service, it's that I don't make unrealistic demands, after I've already made it so I have no recourse.
    edited February 2010
    You're really complaining about the C-store? There's only two items in it! One of them is only a dollar!

From a free to play mmo I wouldn't care, this double dipping is a joke though.
This discussion has been closed.