What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stop TRIBBLE the UK with downtime!!!

2»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    RedArrowX wrote: »
    Well that's just a wrong way of doing it. As someone who deals with servers I know you do maintenance at a time that is convenient to the customer, not the people who run the servers.

Therefore during the week at a time when there is likely to be less people on than at the weekend would be the better option.

You're right, it is the wrong way of doing it, but then again we have no idea of how things are set up at Cryptic at the moment ... or if they want to put their customers before their own convenience.

One thing for sure is that if this continues to happen in the months to come, it will definitely be an issue. For now, the game is just over a week live, so I can accept that downtime will happen during the hours I might want to play.
    edited February 2010
    11 AM to 1 PM GMT on a Saturday AND a Sunday?? Great move guys. Do it at 12 AM to 2 AM PST !!!!!!!! :mad:

As a UK student I don't find this a problem. Mostly because I was asleep.:) The fact that I stil can't log in is annoying though.
    edited February 2010
    I live in the UK, and don't have a problem with the scheduled downtime. EVE Online's servers are located in the UK, and they have daily downtime in the same timeframe. It's all about doing what is most convenient to the majority of their customers.

Do you really think the Devs want to be up at 2am sorting out the servers for a patch? No. That's a ridiculous statement to make. I'm sure they'd much rather have sensible sleeping patterns so they can spend times with their families. They're doing it because it's what's best for the majority of customers, not out of spite for the former British overlords of their upstart country.

Seriously, grow up.
    edited February 2010
    This is when the least users are logged in.

Let me give you something to get started building a bridge.... http://www.liquidmatrix.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/brick.jpg

Whu? Not on a Sunday. Do you think it's a coincidence that the only time you ever see the queue system appear on WOW is a Sunday? That's their busiest day worldwide. It's also the day to take advantage of noobs on the AH/exchange. Just a tip for you.
    edited February 2010
    Perhaps to be perfectly fair to everyone they should have a 24 hour downtime from exactly 12pm GMT to 12pm GMT. No one could gripe about being singled out during their personal 'primetime'.
    oh, oops this might be someones ONE day off.

hmm. so to be fair it should be a whole week?
    oh wait, this was the week where their work schedule most favoured them playing STO....
    Strange game. The only way to win is not to play.
    edited February 2010
    Paxam wrote: »
    I live in the UK, and don't have a problem with the scheduled downtime. EVE Online's servers are located in the UK, and they have daily downtime in the same timeframe. It's all about doing what is most convenient to the majority of their customers.

Do you really think the Devs want to be up at 2am sorting out the servers for a patch? No. That's a ridiculous statement to make. I'm sure they'd much rather have sensible sleeping patterns so they can spend times with their families. They're doing it because it's what's best for the majority of customers, not out of spite for the former British overlords of their upstart country.

Seriously, grow up.

Far from it. Anyone who works with servers like myself know for a fact it comes with the job. You have to schedule any downtime so it impacts the customer the least. Many a time I've had to work long late weekends while servers are down for maintenance, it's part of the job!

But that's beside the point. I think the point people are making is why does it have to happen on a weekend?
    edited February 2010
    RedArrowX wrote: »
    Far from it. Anyone who works with servers like myself know for a fact it comes with the job. You have to schedule any downtime so it impacts the customer the least. Many a time I've had to work long late weekends while servers are down for maintenance, it's part of the job!

But that's beside the point. I think the point people are making is why does it have to happen on a weekend?

I don't know why you're trying to contradict me by saying the same thing? Unless you're disagreeing that the Devs don't want to be there because that's part of the job. Maybe they enjoy the shift, but I was making an assumption that they'd rather have a regular schedule. I know I hated working to 6am on server issues (which is why I'm back to being a student, to get myself a career with more regular hours - though that's a rare thing in IT). But yes, it's part of the job. Doesn't mean they wouldn't rather have it another way...

And it happens at the weekend because that's when the servers need maintenance. They can either perform the maintenance, or let the server crash and be unplayable for the entire weekend.
    edited February 2010
    If the could do the maintenance work during the week I wouldn't be bothered - because most users in the EU will be at work anyways - but on Saturdays and Sunday it's pretty much the only times I can relay and play.

So if there actually is a reason to have the downtimes on Saturday and Sunday - why not rotate with the times so Saturday it hits the EU and Sunday US or vise versa... - just my 2p :confused:
    edited February 2010
    11 AM to 1 PM GMT on a Saturday AND a Sunday?? Great move guys. Do it at 12 AM to 2 AM PST !!!!!!!! :mad:

Maintenance time is always based off where the servers are geographically, its not their fault, its the only time they can do it. Also you know how long I dealt with downtime not agreeing with me? FFXI servers are in Japan, so guess when server maintenance was for us? it was always 12pm-3pm or 10am-4pm.
    edited February 2010
    I guess I wouldn't be bothered with the downtimes so much if the ptching after maintenance wouldn't take another 3hours even for small updtes - effectively ruining almost my whole gaming time-slot! :mad:
    edited February 2010
    Cpt_Andy wrote:
    I guess I wouldn't be bothered with the downtimes so much if the ptching after maintenance wouldn't take another 3hours even for small updtes - effectively ruining almost my whole gaming time-slot! :mad:

3 hours? what type of connection do you have?
    edited February 2010
    maybe you should just go outside between 11am - 1pm GMT...and attempt to meet a member of the opposite sex...maybe then you wouldn't rage so much about a computer game....

or you could be like the MW2 sucks kid and go punch a brick wall or something.... :rolleyes:
    edited February 2010
    3 hours? what type of connection do you have?

I got a 25 optical fiber line... so it is definitely not me...

I can download from other servers with up to 900 mbit...
    edited February 2010
    Eedrah wrote: »
    maybe you should just go outside between 11am - 1pm GMT...and attempt to meet a member of the opposite sex...maybe then you wouldn't rage so much about a computer game....

or you could be like the MW2 sucks kid and go punch a brick wall or something.... :rolleyes:

Dude that is complete b*** s***...

I have met my significant other already (before you go on - yes opposite sex...) and besides working 80h a week I enjoy spending some me time gaming - I hope you don't mind:cool:

All I am saying is that the combination of down times and patching times take too long... :(
This discussion has been closed.