Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Cardassians FTW!!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just be patient, this game still is nothing more than Beta and I doubt that will change so fast given the features that we "have" (not have yet..)

I assume they released it already to start eraning money while developing and cover the costs.

Just look at Klingons lol, Federation icons/cash/merits all over the place. And all the bugs and stuff, each day 2 or more patches... so developing is still going on massively and this is far from completed.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Garak is one of my favorite trek characters, would be interesting to have a intelligence type class in the game.

Same here, Garak and Dukat are two of the most fleshed out characters in the series, I love the intrigue of Cardassian politics and the Obsidian Order
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I know klingons are a classic trek staple but I'd rather play as a cardassian than any other none federation race
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yup, my character is a Cardassian, complete with Jem'Hadar HUD headset.

The option to play as one is already there, in the custom alien creator.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just my speculation:
    - I tend to think that both Cardassians and Romulans are essentially as ready as the Klingons are at this very moment. Which is to say their storyline missions are not done, but they have their ships and character building done.

- The Federation was the first worked on for everything. (Makes sense)

- They fell short of their deadlines and what got the axe was non-Federation PvE content. They're working on Klingon now. The others will probably be added in a more complete state that Klingon were. At this time I think the only reason Klingon are available/playable right now is so that PvP is available (imagine the reviews if it could be said that a MMO launched with no PvP?). That'd probably kill the launch.

- Logistic concerns too: more factions at launch means more characters for people to create (2 Fed + one of each faction) so it would be more initial server space required for launch.

- More immediately available content would mean more maintenance up front during the launch. When resolving mission issues (like the exploration one where you cannot complete it without having commodities ready for example) they probably fix an equivalent for all the other factions in the background while fixing the live one too... the extent of the bugs get less exposure on a launch this way.

- Makes sense from a launch perspective too. Star Trek centers around the Federation perspective. For launch it's a correct assumption that most will want to play as the Federation in the beginning and have fun reliving episodes or interacting with things the characters in the shows saw. So learn the game as Federation (while things have sensical names for the avg player) and then allow them to unlock other factions as they progress.

So while I would love to play as Romulan... I am fine with seeing what the game has to offer while I wait. This is the attitude they were hoping for from a majority of subscribers too. We'll see how long the patience lasts. How quickly they release Klingon PvE content should be pretty telling on how long it will take for them to add Romulans and Cardassians IMO.