What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unexpected Downtime (January 31, 2010)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    The way Authentication is integrated into this game is probably what is leading to all of these issues. Especially as they seem to have decided to share the login servers with champions online (At least a lot of champions players are complaining about now not being able to login). The probable reason for the authentication when zoning etc is due to the instancing element of each zone (Probably needed to authenticate to make this system work in the way it does and allocate users to the zones); This in itself caused me no end of grief in champions Onlines launch; Constant 'Server Not Responding' Messages followed by having to relog and end up once again in a queue.

In essence the issues are probably being caused by the fundamental design of the authentication process being tied to the whole instancing of the zones and of course lack of hardware. However if the Authentication process is so tightly tied into the games then no matter how many servers you throw at it the scalability of the system clearly is questionable. This Begs several questions: -

1.) Why have they not learnt from the launch of Champions Online where similar issues were seen (to a lesser extent).

2.) Why was the open beta not used for load testing? (Obvious answer - game has been rushed to release and bugs were deemed a priority)

3.) Why are they sharing the log in servers across the two games? (obvious answer is to save money)

4.) Why continue to use this Instancing technology in thier mmo's; The principal of it is sound and it has worked elsewhere e.g. EQ2; But in champions online it seemed to dilute the experienc.eAlso more importantly the manner in which it has been implemented seems to tie it so tightly with the authentication process that thier shafting thier own login servers with people allready authenticated having to authenticate whenever zoning.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i also smell BS i have not moved once from position 188 out of 1082
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have moved from 344 down to 341 in a matter of 30 minutes. Not bad, eh? Also the queue is now at 1087, whereas I was at position 359 of 359 when I joined about 1 hour ago.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    seems that way and i really hope its a temp solution!!!!! cause this sucks greatly
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Qthulhu wrote:
    Right now, instability is the best way for you to get into the game.

Look on the bright side, how many times have you cursed the Server Not Responding message?

Que going up not down ??? Cryptic your all ****ing TRIBBLE !!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wow this is ridiculous. This is not Cryptics first outing into the world of MMO. If the servers are full during the head start then God help us when it goes live.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, i got past the login, thru the queue. But loading from area to area is taking like in the area of 3-5 minutes lol.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Qthulhu wrote:
    Right now, instability is the best way for you to get into the game.

Look on the bright side, how many times have you cursed the Server Not Responding message?

it looks like you're right. seems like cryptic has limited the servers and the queue does not get lower.

the really bad thing about this is, that my game crashed (again) and now I'm in the queue and I could forget my instance :(
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Eh, thats enough multi-quotes. Ok, for everyone who is complaining about the server being shut down for emergency maintenance. I have 1 question for you...

Are you paying to play the game yet ???

I know I'm not, I mean yes I have paid off my pre-order of the game, but I'm not paying the monthly subscription to play it yet, so there for, I consider this an extension of a form of closed beta, considering the ones who are in the "head start" are the ones who pre-ordered. So on that note, people come on, give these guys a break, there doing their best on getting the servers stable to go live. Why are you going to pay for a service that your not paying for yet, it' doesn't make sense. If you get this upset about the server going down for emergency maintenance, then I would hate to see what will be said if it goes down when you all start paying to play it.

Take this opportunity to either get up, and stretch, grab a bite to eat, catch a nap, perhaps go outside and go do something. Just stop complaining. Put yourself in their shoes.

already paid lifetime so am already paying for it
  • Options
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    page 137 need moar
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If anyone gets in successfully from the queue, please post what your position was so we know.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yezar wrote: »
    This is also a good thing becaus i forgot the new season of Being Human started and I've just found out I've missed 4 episodes so far. Time to go watch a couple.

I thought it aired on Sundays, was expecting episode 4 tonight..I could be wrong.

I got in, was 156 of 156
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    servers going down again
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Got booted this morning and not been able to log back in agan yet :mad:
    Was getting the 'Trying to update the launcher' for a few hours then managed to get to Loading characters where it got stuck. Now back to the launcher update message.
    When are we likely to get online?

(Edit: in the UK so 8 hours ahead of the forum clock.)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Here's to hoping for the server to crash and disonnect everyone. Then we'd all have a better chance of getting back on in the next 3 hours. Let me say that again: We'd all have a better *CHANCE* at getting on. I'm not saying we'd all get on, but our odds of getting on would be disproportionately increased in the short term. Get out your Datapad and start calculating fellas. X your fingers for a server crash!

What would Sulu Do? (new religion forming)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dai2k wrote: »
    2.) Why was the open beta not used for load testing? (Obvious answer - game has been rushed to release and bugs were deemed a priority).

Well i played open beta and even then never saw a queue, now I am at 436 out of 1264. In OP never saw half the bugs I am seeing in the headstart, what changed since a few days ago I do not know... but perhaps more people flooded in during the headstart, than during Open Beta? My friend for example, got the code, didnt play in beta but decided to play during headstart... maybe there is alot more of them!

Either way, maybe they (Cryptic) underestimated the amount of people that would play STO...either way im not leaving the queue.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    they really need to get this fixed before the second....imagine the que time when everyone has a copy and is trying to log in. log in a 5pm and you can finally play sometime after you fall asleep
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well quite frankly if they don't fix their server issue soon there'll be a lot of angry customers. It's prime time in the EU and thousands of players can't login because Cryptic in its infinite wisdom has yet to get decent servers (they had the same problem in OB). With the fickle gamer attention spam as it stands now - I don't see many having patience to wait and play for something they have paid for. There are other MMOs out there, and STO is certainly not one of the best.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i moved from 188 -> 187 thats been about 40 mins *round of a applause*
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [QUOTE=[UFP]Himble]http://www.mmoserverstatus.com/star_trek_online:D - possibly why the queues.[/QUOTE]

Then hopefully the queue will disappear once they get another server up.

Cause the current line ain't moving...just like when I'm at the supermarket.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well I'm at position 18 of 604. Been there for the past five mins.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Trek88 wrote: »
    Well I'm at position 18 of 604. Been there for the past five mins.

I think you forgot to hit your submit button on your reply or something, because the queue is up to 1324 at the time I read your post.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I am 341 of 1300. WOW this reminds me of the Warhammer launch with the queues lol. Ahh the memories of 2 day queues. Good times.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kenetor wrote: »
    servers going down again

neeoooooooooooo!!!:mad:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    'Hellgate London' anyone?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [QUOTE=[UFP]Himble]http://www.mmoserverstatus.com/star_trek_online:D - possibly why the queues.[/QUOTE]

If thats true I think I'd rather Cryptic just shut down that last game server and fix the issues. I'd rather get ANOTHER down for maintenance message that site around in a 450 position moving 4-5 every 30min. I pitty the pore sods waiting in the 1000's.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    521 out of 710

AAAAhhhh please more server bandwidth if this is just the head start...

oh now

521 out of 745
  • Options
    edited January 2010

So only one of the 4 game servers are up? That would definitely lower the amount of people it can handle at a time
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    if they dont solve the problems within head start time, i will certainly not play any longer / cancel my subscription on feb. 2nd.

DO YOUR JOB CRYPTIC! NOW! this is INACCEPTABLE!