Options

Unexpected Downtime (January 31, 2010)

1666768697072»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Cygnostik wrote: »
    Extra fun. I must be too stupid to figure out how to submit a ticket. Or the ticket interface isn't working. ::facepalm::

Very confusing interface, I thought. The only way I could get it to put up a form was to search for the problem first. Nothing I've ever searched on came up in that screen. Anyway, if everyone already knows that then I'm sorry to be clueless, but give it a try if you haven't already.

And funny thing - I posted the ticket, then the post about seeing that others were having problems, and my patcher is finally downloading. Could the two be connected?

Either there's an underworked overpaid tech who's unfairly getting credit for a coincidence, or an underpaid overworked tech who just wants a potty break and will never get to see this, but either way I'm happy - for the moment. ;)

I think it stopped again... lol
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    the patch finally downloaded and I'm in... w00t!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    this kids, is an example of what eating paint and sniffing glue will do to your brains. no higher functioning then to beat your chest like a chimp, jump up and down screaming and throwing poo everywhere.

actually you forgot the payote i was taking....and im prolly older than you...if ya cant beat em though eh ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Is the game currently playable by anyone right now? I already have the client downloaded and I am contemplating on actually buying the game right now or not.

Just wanting to know if I can actually play after I buy it heh, no personal comment here about -this game- but from previous experience, Cryptic has been a horrible company when it comes to launching games and customer service (cough cough CO) -- i've seen a lot of bad feedback all over these forums about this game and Cryptic... I was about to buy the game but made the decision to see what the players think about it first and if I didn't check the forums, I probably would have already bought the game.

naywaysssssss my original question and only question heh.. is anyone able to play the game right now? And if not, how long has it been like this?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hey Cryptic,

If you sorry excuse for MMO developers actually read these posts, how about growing some brain cells and common sense and bring more servers online. If Cryptic were a ship in the navy, you guys would be decommed and used for target practice. And I would pay for a front row seat to see that. BECAUSE YOU GUYS SUCK.

You don't play many other MMOs at launch, do you? Or do you always get this dramatic when things don't go your way?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    heretician wrote: »
    Is the game currently playable by anyone right now? I already have the client downloaded and I am contemplating on actually buying the game right now or not.

Just wanting to know if I can actually play after I buy it heh, no personal comment here about -this game- but from previous experience, Cryptic has been a horrible company when it comes to launching games and customer service (cough cough CO) -- i've seen a lot of bad feedback all over these forums about this game and Cryptic... I was about to buy the game but made the decision to see what the players think about it first and if I didn't check the forums, I probably would have already bought the game.

naywaysssssss my original question and only question heh.. is anyone able to play the game right now? And if not, how long has it been like this?

It's mostly server issues at the moment. It worked during open beta, they'll get it working again. Ignore the trolls and don't feed them.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    You don't play many other MMOs at launch, do you? Or do you always get this dramatic when things don't go your way?

edit: the person you were replying to deserved a lot more than what you said for his ignorance. Although I think it is that he gets dramatic when things don't go his way (and probably a few other problems with his mentality, looking at his post) - not that he hasn't played many other MMOs (he may have, but he was probably not well liked on those either ;))

As much as people say how horrible launch goes for MMOs; it really isn't this bad for every game. I have played betas and launches for MMOs since the launch of EverQuest (the first one) which, actually did go pretty horrible... Although, since the comparison for most has been "all other MMOs" I will compare it to Cryptic's other MMO, Champion's Online which I also beta tested and was there for the launch.

Star Wars Galaxies definitely had its problems at launch, but on the day it came out (and the last month of beta) you could definitely tell everything was smooth, the errors that were being fixed were the last small problems. Nothing near as bad as Champion's Online which actually was so frustrating for most consumers that it turned a lot of consumers against the company, Cryptic. I seem to see some repercussion of that angst on this forum.

Dark Age of Camelot went great. I will acknowledge that it did not have as near as much of a fan base, but keep in mind -- MMOs in general did not have this kind of fan base, the technology (for servers and software etc) was not near as good. They still had to do stress testing and everything though, and for its time, it had a large following. In comparison not only to Champions Online but also a lot of other games; it did very well.

How about Warhammer Online? HUGE fanbase on the release of that game. Beta was pretty rocky, but again, by the time they were releasing the game, it was twice as stable as the beta, and 4x as stable as Champion's Online.

World of Warcraft - maybe this is no comparison because the budget for WoW was most likely a lot larger than the budget for both this game and Champion's Online. Beta was rocky (not near as bad as... Ok i'll stop =P) but the release was as good as DAOC =)

Eve Online - I do not recall the release of Eve, I was there but I was not in the beta... As far as I remember, it did pretty well. Someone can clarify if they would like, I may be wrong.

Aside from Gold Farmers ahoy -- the release of Aion was pretty good, it had its crashed, but again no server downtime like Champion's Online had, and presumably, this game as well. Aion's gold farmers was a pretty big problem and did remain a problem up until I quit playing, and I would imagine is still a little bit of a problem, although there were no huge server or software issues (other than the lack of software to prevent farmers hehe) -- It, in comparison, again did much better than Champion's Online

Hmm what else.... Tabula Rasa? Didn't do too good in the beta at all, by the release things were smooth although players started quitting because it was not as good as anticipated -- again though, no problems like Cryptic is having. It did have it's problems though, that is certain.

EverQuest II did better..

Anarchy Online is one game I can think of that is on par with Champion's Online when it comes to how stable the game is at release, or a few days before even.

I can't really compare games like Guild Wars because they are not MMOs, but the GW release was even more stable, as much as I could compare.

In conclusion, what I am saying is when I am constantly seeing -many- people on these forums say things like "Obviously you have not played other MMOs on release or you would not be complaining about STO" --- I believe you are simply comparing STO to Cryptics' other MMO, Champion's Online, which also had a horrible release

Just my personal opinion, I am not attempting to troll -- and I will agree that most people who sit on these forums and complain all day are definitely not taking everything into account. Cryptic is dealing with a lot of issues that are unpredictable (Server issues)

Cryptic may even have a very good excuse (or reason, excuse sounds negative and it is not my intention) for this when it comes to STO. As I have heard, they did not expect such a fanbase for this game and are now overwhelmed by the amount of customers that have preordered this game... Now these customers are complaining and insulting Cryptic when they have not considered every possibility (nor are they going to in most cases, they have their reasons for ignorance.. Age, mentality, etc)

But what was Champions Online excuse I wonder? It was definitely one of the worst releases I have ever seen, on par with Anarchy Online. It has made me think less of Cryptic of course although the concept of Champions Online was great and they definitely did a great job with the game in terms of creating it... The company excels in the departments of design and concept, as well as story and graphics. Not so much IMO in the departments of customer service and.. Hardware? Or maybe the "Department of Releasing Games" hehe...

Also Sagardon_Kahn, thanks for the reply on my first post on this topic -- I think I will be buying this game, although I am first going to finish reading all of the information I can and watching all of the videos =) I have methods to easily get my money back on this game after the release if I do not like it, just as I did with Champions Online, and infact many other games.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    edit: the person you were replying to deserved a lot more than what you said for his ignorance. Although I think it is that he gets dramatic when things don't go his way (and probably a few other problems with his mentality, looking at his post) - not that he hasn't played many other MMOs (he may have, but he was probably not well liked on those either ;))

As much as people say how horrible launch goes for MMOs; it really isn't this bad for every game. I have played betas and launches for MMOs since the launch of EverQuest (the first one) which, actually did go pretty horrible... Although, since the comparison for most has been "all other MMOs" I will compare it to Cryptic's other MMO, Champion's Online which I also beta tested and was there for the launch.

Star Wars Galaxies definitely had its problems at launch, but on the day it came out (and the last month of beta) you could definitely tell everything was smooth, the errors that were being fixed were the last small problems. Nothing near as bad as Champion's Online which actually was so frustrating for most consumers that it turned a lot of consumers against the company, Cryptic. I seem to see some repercussion of that angst on this forum.

Dark Age of Camelot went great. I will acknowledge that it did not have as near as much of a fan base, but keep in mind -- MMOs in general did not have this kind of fan base, the technology (for servers and software etc) was not near as good. They still had to do stress testing and everything though, and for its time, it had a large following. In comparison not only to Champions Online but also a lot of other games; it did very well.

How about Warhammer Online? HUGE fanbase on the release of that game. Beta was pretty rocky, but again, by the time they were releasing the game, it was twice as stable as the beta, and 4x as stable as Champion's Online.

World of Warcraft - maybe this is no comparison because the budget for WoW was most likely a lot larger than the budget for both this game and Champion's Online. Beta was rocky (not near as bad as... Ok i'll stop =P) but the release was as good as DAOC =)

Eve Online - I do not recall the release of Eve, I was there but I was not in the beta... As far as I remember, it did pretty well. Someone can clarify if they would like, I may be wrong.

Aside from Gold Farmers ahoy -- the release of Aion was pretty good, it had its crashed, but again no server downtime like Champion's Online had, and presumably, this game as well. Aion's gold farmers was a pretty big problem and did remain a problem up until I quit playing, and I would imagine is still a little bit of a problem, although there were no huge server or software issues (other than the lack of software to prevent farmers hehe) -- It, in comparison, again did much better than Champion's Online

Hmm what else.... Tabula Rasa? Didn't do too good in the beta at all, by the release things were smooth although players started quitting because it was not as good as anticipated -- again though, no problems like Cryptic is having. It did have it's problems though, that is certain.

EverQuest II did better..

Anarchy Online is one game I can think of that is on par with Champion's Online when it comes to how stable the game is at release, or a few days before even.

I can't really compare games like Guild Wars because they are not MMOs, but the GW release was even more stable, as much as I could compare.

In conclusion, what I am saying is when I am constantly seeing -many- people on these forums say things like "Obviously you have not played other MMOs on release or you would not be complaining about STO" --- I believe you are simply comparing STO to Cryptics' other MMO, Champion's Online, which also had a horrible release

Just my personal opinion, I am not attempting to troll -- and I will agree that most people who sit on these forums and complain all day are definitely not taking everything into account. Cryptic is dealing with a lot of issues that are unpredictable (Server issues)

Cryptic may even have a very good excuse (or reason, excuse sounds negative and it is not my intention) for this when it comes to STO. As I have heard, they did not expect such a fanbase for this game and are now overwhelmed by the amount of customers that have preordered this game... Now these customers are complaining and insulting Cryptic when they have not considered every possibility (nor are they going to in most cases, they have their reasons for ignorance.. Age, mentality, etc)

But what was Champions Online excuse I wonder? It was definitely one of the worst releases I have ever seen, on par with Anarchy Online. It has made me think less of Cryptic of course although the concept of Champions Online was great and they definitely did a great job with the game in terms of creating it... The company excels in the departments of design and concept, as well as story and graphics. Not so much IMO in the departments of customer service and.. Hardware? Or maybe the "Department of Releasing Games" hehe...

Also Sagardon_Kahn, thanks for the reply on my first post on this topic -- I think I will be buying this game, although I am first going to finish reading all of the information I can and watching all of the videos =) I have methods to easily get my money back on this game after the release if I do not like it, just as I did with Champions Online, and infact many other games.

Over all I don't disagree with much of what you said here...

Except in my experience Anarchy Online was the worst launch I ever experienced. It had huge lag problems and many system crashes, now that may have been the hardware I was running at the time.

Champions Online launched pretty smoothly from my persepective, the patching fiasco messed up the first day or so, but after that things ran very smoothly. Again I am running a pretty top end rig these days, so that may have affected my experience compared to yours.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Trentius wrote: »
    Over all I don't disagree with much of what you said here...

Except in my experience Anarchy Online was the worst launch I ever experienced. It had huge lag problems and many system crashes, now that may have been the hardware I was running at the time.

Champions Online launched pretty smoothly from my persepective, the patching fiasco messed up the first day or so, but after that things ran very smoothly. Again I am running a pretty top end rig these days, so that may have affected my experience compared to yours.

I'm going to have to not disagree with you on Anarchy Online as well haha.. It probably was the worst I have experienced as well. I was running what was considered top end at that time too. I have nightmares about that release, and even months after it was still bad.. On the other hand, i hear champions online is doing pretty good.

When Champions Online was released, my system had only 1.5gb of ram and i had an Radeon X1600 PRO PCI-E 2.0 256MB.. Pretty bad.. You may be partially correct and persuading me (it did have quite a few server crashes, maybe what coerced me is that some game releases did not have any, and some had less) -- but I now have 4GB of ram and a GeForce PNY 9800 GTX+ XLR8 1GB.. It may make the difference I am looking for hehe.. It made things worse when I read the forums and half the people on there were complaining of the same problems I had. A lot of them were very ignorant when it comes to their spelling, grammar, and the way they showed themselves (You know.. the U SUK CRYPTIC, like the last complainer on this topic) so I disregarded it, but some were very educated posts. You may be correct that they could have had system specs that were not up to par with Champions Online, like me.

Has the STO server really been down for 3 days like I have been reading? That is the entire head start and then some AFAIK.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I give up see you tuesday
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    QE2 wrote:
    actually you forgot the payote i was taking....and im prolly older than you...if ya cant beat em though eh ;)

Age, one way or another, has less to do with it then you acting like an overgrown spoiled brat with delusions of entitlement and thinking that acting like being a windbag A-Hole is a cool thing.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm going to have to not disagree with you on Anarchy Online as well haha.. It probably was the worst I have experienced as well. I was running what was considered top end at that time too. I have nightmares about that release, and even months after it was still bad.. On the other hand, i hear champions online is doing pretty good.

When Champions Online was released, my system had only 1.5gb of ram and i had an Radeon X1600 PRO PCI-E 2.0 256MB.. Pretty bad.. You may be partially correct and persuading me (it did have quite a few server crashes, maybe what coerced me is that some game releases did not have any, and some had less) -- but I now have 4GB of ram and a GeForce PNY 9800 GTX+ XLR8 1GB.. It may make the difference I am looking for hehe.. It made things worse when I read the forums and half the people on there were complaining of the same problems I had. A lot of them were very ignorant when it comes to their spelling, grammar, and the way they showed themselves (You know.. the U SUK CRYPTIC, like the last complainer on this topic) so I disregarded it, but some were very educated posts. You may be correct that they could have had system specs that were not up to par with Champions Online, like me.

Has the STO server really been down for 3 days like I have been reading? That is the entire head start and then some AFAIK.

No, it hasn't. Yes, it has been up and down several times, and for some 2-3 hour periods. BUt I have been able to get on character to 4 and another to 8 so far this weekend, so the down time is not nearly as bad as many would like people to think. Since tonight's final patch, everything seems MUCH smoother. But don't listen to anyone on the boards, including me - Try the game out and see for yourself and decide.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    one of those missions and I needed to destroy 1 more Klingon 'devices' ... <sigh> alas will have to do this again. I suppose this server downtime will save my body from breaking down anyway, at the same time save my marriage. :P haha!
    :D
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Age, one way or another, has less to do with it then you acting like an overgrown spoiled brat with delusions of entitlement and thinking that acting like being a windbag A-Hole is a cool thing.

entitlement, i think you are getting a littl confused my angry little yoda. The only entitlement I have mentioned in this thread is peoples entitlement to feel grievance at the headstart. I distinctly said I personally wasn't screaming about it. But could understand other peoples anger. You have NO IDEA what I was posting, you just didn't like the fact I made fun of you. So you just saying whatever you think will get under my skin...wayy after this thread has been mosatly abandoned.

You are very angry and have no control, yet I am the one that is delusional and an *******? Buddy whatever i have said this whole thread was alight haerted vent to me. If you have taken it any other way, i really dont care. get some anger managementl. or find that some guy just lays you our for thinking ytou more thann you are. But it was all for the thread...you either get me or you dont...llosing you froma friends list i can live with.

jesus im the brat lol..got no mirros around?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Agreed! The patch seems to make everything alittle bit better :o. Atleast it feels that way.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Any release note for the patch?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As this is headstart and not offical release i suppose we aren't having the full server power up. Neighter is the game finished so i'm expecting a big patch with release..why?..because translation isn't full, signs are missing, crafting isn't fully there...

Headstart isn't release..thats where we make an error. We get to play it early but it's not 100% the same..never was and never will be
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Though the server problems were a pain, and I had some crashing issues, I've still managed to get one character to 11 and another up a few levels as well.

On a side note, if you are using an NVidia 200 series card, specifically the GTX 260, and are crashing and getting the dreaded "blue screen of death" on Vista or XP, go download the drivers for it that were put up on the 19th of this month.

I was thinking the game was unplayable, and it really was my driver's fault.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    UNexpected downtime? LMAO!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh goody - looks like our daily server failure was delayed till a bit later this evening. I keep loosing connection to the server again and it times out. Happened 3 times in last 5 mins now.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    isah09 wrote: »
    How to turn $10 into $5000 in a month or less. It is free
    « on: September 02, 2009, 04:02:18 AM »

Good Day,
    REQUIREMENTS:
    #1) an email address
    #2) a liberty reserve account (free to open)......................

out, SHALOM!

TLDR :rolleyes: