test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO has no Crafting Because....

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
They wouldnt be able to rush the game out the door as fast if they actually had to develop something like crafting for the game. The more they can just reuse CO game engine mechanics verbatim the fast they can get the $$$. Watch now other MMO companies will start omitting feature like this once they figure out they can get away with it.......
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    While there is nothing stating that Crafting has to be a part of the game. I would like to be able to deconstruct items, be able to actually create items. Have my character(s) learn schematics especially if as an Engineer and work from there.

While requiring I don't know how much coding. It could potentially open up a whole new aspect of STO though it would probably be akin to at least one other game.

Hell then I might actually feel like an Engineer in the game.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What is the purpose of crafting if we have replicators?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Crafting = non combat gameplay = "boring".
    C'mon Ragerx, let's go kill 47 waves of KlinGornOrions ships together, this will be fun ! And since there are 47 of them, it's Startrek !
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Ask that to Cryptic : they said there will be crafting in the game. Unless you consider they don't know what they're talking about ?
  • Options
    edited January 2010

To "make" parts :p for things that Engineers could work on. <Shrug>

I think Cryptic could limit the size/scale/amount/type of things made in/with the Replicator.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I honestly think they couldn't think of any way to include a crafting system. Thinking about it more just makes me think this is the most logical answer. How would you put in crafting in a star trek mmo? The only thing I can come up with really is something similar to what they have which is a system that upgrades what you have. I mean in the series the engineers like laforge and obrien would modify what they have perhaps making it run better etc. The closest thing I have seen in star trek was in voyager with the photonic holograms mining dilithium when the doc was seeking equal treatment. Why would we mine our own resources anyways when we can use holograms? Look at todays assembly lines for any product and they automate as much as possible.

Upgrades seem the best solution so far imo.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ceilican wrote: »
    To "make" parts :p for things that Engineers could work on. <Shrug>

I think Cryptic could limit the size/scale/amount/type of things made in/with the Replicator.

Doesnt someone have to develop the "recipes" for the replicators?? Why not just call that "development costs"
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh well, OP helps prove the correlation of people who waste tons of money on rigs but are stupid as ****.

Well done mate, now go do something more useful than making a fool of yourself.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Baconnaise wrote:
    I honestly think they couldn't think of any way to include a crafting system. Thinking about it more just makes me think this is the most logical answer. How would you put in crafting in a star trek mmo? The only thing I can come up with really is something similar to what they have which is a system that upgrades what you have. I mean in the series the engineers like laforge and obrien would modify what they have perhaps making it run better etc. The closest thing I have seen in star trek was in voyager with the photonic holograms mining dilithium when the doc was seeking equal treatment. Why would we mine our own resources anyways when we can use holograms? Look at todays assembly lines for any product and they automate as much as possible.

Upgrades seem the best solution so far imo.

Then call it that dont try to make it rain yellow and call it good..I honestly think that they have no idea HOW to implement crafting because they are incompetent in some areas. I mean really go steal a dev from Blizz already to teach you how to build a crafting system........
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Delazure wrote: »
    Crafting = non combat gameplay = "boring".
    C'mon Ragerx, let's go kill 47 waves of KlinGornOrions ships together, this will be fun ! And since there are 47 of them, it's Startrek !

lol...sounds about right
    Delazure wrote: »
    Ask that to Cryptic : they said there will be crafting in the game. Unless you consider they don't know what they're talking about ?

well if cryptic said this it must be true...lol
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Gozew wrote:
    Oh well, OP helps prove the correlation of people who waste tons of money on rigs but are stupid as ****.

Well done mate, now go do something more useful than making a fool of yourself.

Yes because you have lots of great ideas yourself. You just go on being content to be shorted for you $ and be happy ok?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ragerx wrote:
    They wouldnt be able to rush the game out the door as fast if they actually had to develop something like crafting for the game. The more they can just reuse CO game engine mechanics verbatim the fast they can get the $$$. Watch now other MMO companies will start omitting feature like this once they figure out they can get away with it.......

Some posters lack intelligent and original thoughts because.....

they could rush out useless boring posts to score points with the rest of the btards.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ragerx wrote:
    Then call it that dont try to make it rain yellow and call it good..I honestly think that they have no idea HOW to implement crafting because they are incompetent in some areas. I mean really go steal a dev from Blizz already to teach you how to build a crafting system........

I didn't care for Blizzard's crafting system and thought it was garbage. Pirates of the Burning Sea had a very detailed and micromanaged crafting system. It was a pretty robust system for people that actually like that socioeconomic thing. Eve has a very unique crafting system as well which is fulfilling for many.

It sounds like you're asking for a useless unless it's maxed crafting system. Lotro, WoW, AION, and many others have that type of system. This doesn't need a typical crafting system or at all imo.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Baconnaise wrote:
    I didn't care for Blizzard's crafting system and thought it was garbage. Pirates of the Burning Sea had a very detailed and micromanaged crafting system. It was a pretty robust system for people that actually like that socioeconomic thing. Eve has a very unique crafting system as well which is fulfilling for many.

It sounds like you're asking for a useless unless it's maxed crafting system. Lotro, WoW, AION, and many others have that type of system. This doesn't need a typical crafting system or at all imo.

Well Bacon I would be happy with SOMETHING rather than NOTHING. And it would be even better if they came up with something orginal to boot. But they butchered crafting in CO too so their engine obviously isnt equipped to implement crafting. And this *IS* a rush job judging from things like this being omitted or poorly designed based on the limitations of another game.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Baconnaise wrote:
    I honestly think they couldn't think of any way to include a crafting system. Thinking about it more just makes me think this is the most logical answer. How would you put in crafting in a star trek mmo? The only thing I can come up with really is something similar to what they have which is a system that upgrades what you have. I mean in the series the engineers like laforge and obrien would modify what they have perhaps making it run better etc.

I think so too.. and as for upgrading components.. tehy have the artifacts and such.. maybe what the NPC does with them can and will eb included later in the game. Maybe when they do a expansion pack or something.

To be honest even in WOW when I spent all the time to get a level 450 Leather Wroking skill.. in the end it seems pointless as I could quest for better things thatn I could make most the time.

I'm sure if they put something in for crafting you would complain it doesnt do enough or is useless.. so why was Dev time on it? When it could be spent improving ship balance or play balance.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ragerx wrote:
    Doesnt someone have to develop the "recipes" for the replicators?? Why not just call that "development costs"

I like this recipe idea. It strikes me as odd how replicators can deconstruct things so fully. There should be some kind of waste that we get back or something like "liquified dillithium matter" or something like that.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think so too.. and as for upgrading components.. tehy have the artifacts and such.. maybe what the NPC does with them can and will eb included later in the game. Maybe when they do a expansion pack or something.

To be honest even in WOW when I spent all the time to get a level 450 Leather Wroking skill.. in the end it seems pointless as I could quest for better things thatn I could make most the time.

I'm sure if they put something in for crafting you would complain it doesnt do enough or is useless.. so why was Dev time on it? When it could be spent improving ship balance or play balance.

In WoW there are few items that you really want to keep at max levels. IMHO it is a way to make $$$ I maxed out Inscription and was making Noble Decks for 6k gold a pop
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Stink100 wrote: »
    I like this recipe idea. It strikes me as odd how replicators can deconstruct things so fully. There should be some kind of waste that we get back or something like "liquified dillithium matter" or something like that.

The reason the replicators work so well is because they follow the Law of Conservation of matter/energy. The matter (item) is fully disposed of because it is transformed into pure energy put back into the ship system. The is no waste nor should there be with a complete conversion of matter to energy
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    How about you go back to wow with the rest of the 14 year old ***s ?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You could easily put in the pre-nerf SWG crafting system in. Just think, having a distrupter factory, mining stuff, having a house etc.

STO ground actually reminds me of pre NGE SWG a little.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    How about you go back to wow with the rest of the 14 year old ***s ?

You sound a lot like one of those 14 year olds actually........ I swear I have seen you on Barrens chat......
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ragerx wrote:
    You sound a lot like one of those 14 year olds actually........ I swear I have seen you on Barrens chat......

Thanks for proving your age.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    and thats the thing, focusing on gathering materials to make stuff to make money, I dunno.. how is that trek?

they DO have a limited crafting system in game involving upgrades. (no it's not great and I doubt I'll focus heavily on it) but this does seem to work, as baconese said, how could you add crafting to trek? outside of stuff from maybe voyager, or perhaps PERHAPS sisko and the defiant (I could certinly see it argued from a MMO POV that defiant was a crafted ship.. I'd personally not like it but..)

as for cryptic borrowing from CO's system, actually this isn't true, CO's crafting system is actually better belive it or not
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    and thats the thing, focusing on gathering materials to make stuff to make money, I dunno.. how is that trek?

they DO have a limited crafting system in game involving upgrades. (no it's not great and I doubt I'll focus heavily on it) but this does seem to work, as baconese said, how could you add crafting to trek? outside of stuff from maybe voyager, or perhaps PERHAPS sisko and the defiant (I could certinly see it argued from a MMO POV that defiant was a crafted ship.. I'd personally not like it but..)

as for cryptic borrowing from CO's system, actually this isn't true, CO's crafting system is actually better belive it or not

Hell the ground combat and character movement in game is better in CO imo.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    as far as i can remember there always were things that couldn't be replicated in star trek. but i don't really remember. and i would like to see that the replicator in my ship replicates the items i "sold" to my replicator >.> and please remove the bind on ... TRIBBLE. it's a lame excuse for "balancing" a game -,-

wait my post is to constructive...
    you guys know nothing about nothing 5uXx0rz !!21!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I would be much happier with a system where players can deconstruct loot and use it to upgrade or buff their choice of items. AION enchanting same thing destroy loot item get a stone of a certain item level range. Use it to add +20 crit severity or chance on a white or green item or even stack another bonus on a blue weapon.

Anyhow anything to do with gathering resources more than what they have now wouldn't be trek like imo.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

It all comes back to this.

Base fabrication should only ever show up as something in unusual circumstances, as part of a mission. The anti-Gorn bamboo cannon, for example.

The core idea of the Memory Alpha upgrade-based 'crafting' system as opposed to base fabrication is sound IMO. The actual implementation needs some smoothing out, but in ways I think apply to the Medal and Bridge Officer vendors too - the product list is a half-assed grab bag that never even changes when they could have made it a system of selecting base items and bonuses for more robust completeness.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ...am I alone in not giving a **** about crafting?
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Someone needs to invent an item, then provide the replicator with resourses and schematics/prototype to replicate it :eek:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ...am I alone in not giving a **** about crafting?

No you aren't as I could care less. I wouldn't mind seeing an enchantment system like in AION though as it was simple and to point.
This discussion has been closed.