test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lag in Star Trek online

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
There's a lot of lag in Star Trek Online.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, it seems to have become a bigger issue now than it was in OB. Frequently there seems to be a second-or-more delay between what you see and what the server sees. So I've started to abort fights 2 or 3 seconds before the enemy is likely to be dead on my side, because the hit-counter will keep rolling for several seconds even after I've stopped.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There's a lot of lag in Star Trek Online.

Zero lag,upgrade your vid card or cpu or mem or all 3
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    candarian wrote: »

So my hardware starts to degrade when many players are playing the game, but during off-hours I've got an awesome gaming machine that shrugs off STO as though it was from 1995?

Stuff like rubberbanding or attacks from enemies that have been dead for several seconds (I'm speaking to you zombie war targ) can not be explained by hardware. They're network latency issues, and network latency issues alone.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I was about to reply with something similiar. I have no lag at all and I play on wireless..
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Wrong.

Do us a favor. Don't ever become a tech.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    well I have lag but only on this game.:pHell I can't even get the website to respond took 5 min to write this.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There's multiple types of lag, OP probably means network lag rather than general system lag.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Never had any lag myself but Im on a 7mbps connection. I've noticed it once though when I left for a really crammed station. Im sure itll be ironed out in a month or two. Gah, wow was still crashing after 3 months. I remember Eve did the same thing. So did DAOC. Hrmm LOTRO did a decent release though. :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010

omg so much fail :))))))
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yeah, because BEFORE headstart I hardly had any lag. Now the "server not responding" pops up every few seconds so OBVIOUSLY it must be OUR hardware that has changed in 3 days and NOT the server. Makes perfect sense now.

Quad core 9950 AMD 2.6 GHz
    250 GTS Nvidia
    4GB DDR3 RAM

Yeah it's obviously my hardware that's the problem.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Jahnri wrote: »
    Never had any lag myself but Im on a 7mbps connection. I've noticed it once though when I left for a really crammed station. Im sure itll be ironed out in a month or two. Gah, wow was still crashing after 3 months. I remember Eve did the same thing. So did DAOC. Hrmm LOTRO did a decent release though. :)

I get significant network lag, and I'm on a 100 mbps (up and down, uncapped, traffic-neutral network). It isn't usually game-breakingly bad, except at certain hours when lots of European and American players are online.

Keep in mind that not everyone lives in California. The transition across the Atlantic adds at least 100ms to European gamers' ping. So what's a passable 150ms ping to you may be a laggy 250ms ping to us.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have lag at times too. i seem to eather run great or be so lagged out I can't move, chat or any thing else normally that occurs around or on a starbase. but sometimes in sector space as well.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have some lag but it may be because am using a ATI card, from what I have read STO does not like ATI so am still tweaking and hope it sorts its self out. I have updated all my drivers I don't have a monster comp but it is double what the min states for playing are and I have to turn off all the fancy stuff. :( this is why I play most of my games on a console now. You can have a monster system and for no fault of your own it can suck for speed. You have to spend more time tweaking then playing.:mad:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nanok wrote: »
    omg so much fail :))))))

Especially since the server went down. Which was really no surprise. I was experiencing lag and disconnects for an hour or so and my spider sense told me that maintenance was a'coming. My PC isn't the best, but its not lacking in power for online games.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I hate to burst your bubble but I haven't had any lag either. Try turning down the settings through the options menu if you don't want to get a better computer.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Im glad so many of you are network techs. I too get lag and have broadband thats more than capable of running an online game without latency issues. The lag is mostly server side. Or rather their backbones. Those who arnt having issues are lucky enough to be probably pretty close to the servers OR have an ISP that happens to have a good route to the servers backbone connections.

kthnx bye.

Cryptic, fix your damn routing tables and optimize your backbones.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It is lag; I can watch the ping jumping from 180-220 up to 1100-1400 every few seconds when in a ground map. In space I hardly have any lag whatsoever (around 180-220 ping).
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You whine and cry about lag but noone posts a tracert 9 x out of 10 its a relay between you and Cryptics server that is dropping packets if it truly is a network issue.

If this had been a problem within Cryptic's network how do you expect them to find the issue,hope?

IT wants cold hard data not some gamer whining about his smug sense of entitlement.

I love how system lag becomes network lag -_-
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah this rubber banding stuff needs to be fixed...They had way more numbers than they hoped for OB so there should be no reason why this is happening. It's not like they dont have the data to figure out what they need to do
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Soradon wrote:
    Im glad so many of you are network techs. I too get lag and have broadband thats more than capable of running an online game without latency issues. The lag is mostly server side. Or rather their backbones. Those who arnt having issues are lucky enough to be probably pretty close to the servers OR have an ISP that happens to have a good route to the servers backbone connections.

kthnx bye.

Cryptic, fix your damn routing tables and optimize your backbones.

Finally someone who knows what they're talking about.:cool:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You whine and cry about lag but noone posts a tracert 9 x out of 10 its a relay between you and Cryptics server that is dropping packets if it truly is a network issue.

If this had been a problem within Cryptic's network how do you expect them to find the issue,hope?

IT wants cold hard data not some gamer whining about his smug sense of entitlement.

Oh sweet another eTechnician. Right buddy, 1000s of people all have a router somewhere dropping packets along their routing route. Although not impossible its not likely to go on for this long. As whoever is responsible for that router would fix it.

Tell you what, when the server comes back online I will get you that tracert.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Well, the average joe is not a network engineer. Besides, I don't think there's enough information about Cryptic's network topology to make meaningful networking diagnostics (for good reasons, too. If they published that, it'd be a security liability.)

Build network analysis functionality into the beta client and make it have a go at figuring out why packets are dropping?

Then IT should get it's own damn data, instead of outsourcing the data-gathering onto the players.

I love how system lag only occurs when many people are online.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm no tech. All I know is I'm on the East coast in a snow storm and haven't had lag. So, the OP SHOULD have said, "SOME' of us are having lag. Why do people persist in thinking if something happens to them it must happen to everyone?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    He has no idea what hes talking about,post your screenshots of a tracert to the Cryptic server showing your mythical packet loss server side,I guarantee if theres network degragation it's a relay and not on Cryptics server.

Are you serious,how in gods name is any company to aggregate that amount of data to locate a network error,if it was an issue Server side wouldn't you want to help to expediate any issue -_-

And more ships = more players = more polygons = system lag.

>>Trace 0 Packet loss<<
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    He has no idea what hes talking about,post your screenshots of a tracert to the Cryptic server showing your mythical packet loss server side,I guarantee if theres network degragation it's a relay and not on Cryptics server.

Are you serious,how in gods name is any company to agregate that amount of data to locate a network error,if it was a an issue Server side wouldn't you want to help to expediate any issue -_-

>>Trace 0 Packet loss<<

It may not be directly server side but its a node somewhere close enough that A LOT of people are obviously having issues. Like I said, somewhere in their backbone connections there is an issue. You are obviously lucky enough to be routed around whatever issue there is. Good for you here is a cookie and milk.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

>>Trace 0 Packet loss<<

You're the one who brought up packet loss. I was mostly speaking of ping in the 300-400ms:es. Maybe like the occasional garbled packet, but not so much that the TCP protocol's redundancies can't deal with it.

Besides, there's no point in doing a trace route now. The servers are down, so there's no other players to cause traffic congestion.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    r2dr wrote:
    You're the one who brought up packet loss. I was mostly speaking of ping in the 300-400ms:es. Maybe like the occasional garbled packet, but not so much that the TCP protocol's redundancies can't deal with it.

Besides, there's no point in doing a trace route now. The servers are down, so there's no other players to cause traffic congestion.

Exactly lol. HEY GUYS!! IM PINGING THESE ROUTERS WITH NO TRAFFIC AND THE LATENCY IS FREAKING GRREEEAT! Thats why I said I will WAIT until the servers are back up to post my tracert.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Champions Online had lag for a couple of weeks after launch... when people were still playing it. Once people stop logging in... the lag will stop.

STO might take a few weeks longer, but I bet you guys by the beginning of April there will be no lag anywhere.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

>>Trace 0 Packet loss<<

Am no tech head and being (head start = more testing) I would take that bet. lol The game will not work right for a lot of people for a long time. This is a guy who knows nothing saying this lol This is not the game. It OB in the name of Head start.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Soradon wrote:
    It may not be directly server side but its a node somewhere close enough that A LOT of people are obviously having issues. Like I said, somewhere in their backbone connections there is an issue. You are obviously lucky enough to be routed around whatever issue there is. Good for you here is a cookie and milk.

I have done 6 via remote from every TZ in NA and all come up green this has absolutely nothing to do with Cryptics server,if you would do a freaking trace you would see exactly where the issue is and could then forward it to Cryptic or your ISP and they in turn would ask the owner to look into the relay.
This discussion has been closed.