test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ground combat is horrible.

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I am sorry but I have never seen anything so ridicules in my life. ( i know I will get slammed for saying it) For me ground combat is unplayable. I can not get the concept of the spinning camera when I am trying shoot someone. All of a sudden I start moving in opposite directions form the way i am pointing, the camera drops behind my head and I can see who I am shooting. It's fracken crazy! I can't run or walk on angles, I have to move one direction turn and move the other direction. Other players on the same mission probably think some guy is out there doing the robot dance or something. lol :p

I am accustomed to FPS games like Unreal T. Quake games like that, so I understand this is completely different for me. The controls remind me of Wolfenstein 3-D released in 1992! Wolfenstein was better because I didn't have the camera thing to deal with. I tried playing threw the beta thinking I would grow accustomed to it. I am no closer today then I was the 1st time I saw ground combat. What kills me (no pun intended), you put me on a UT level with the bots cranked up one shot kill, and I will have a field day and score with the flag. Here, I can't get past 3 BORG ! A while back someone posted some settings to make it more like a FPS. I will try to locate those again and give it a shot.

This is only my opinion, I fully support the game and want it to succeed. I own a 1 year subscription. Guess I will be spending all my time in space.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Just dont use the mouse so much. It's really not necessary.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It is a near-disaster. A company that has given us such fluid, exciting avatar combat in the past cannot even allow our characters the right to turn around whilst targeting an enemy. If melee guys rush in, all one can do (navigating by keys) is back up. And back up. Etc. It's utter trash, one of the worst aspects of the game.

Cryptic. For a weekend you had this working right, and patched it out. Bring back it please.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think you're wrong. The ground combat is awesome and I'm glad that there seems to be more of it. If you get disoriented then take a moment to adjust yourself. I have a few problems with it here and there but it's far from broken.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The controls are really stupid for the kind of combat it's supposed to be. They just stuck with classic MMO controls but never thought about how it effects gameplay where movement can happen while attack powers are activated. Not to mention that target selection is really crappy. If the camera is at the wrong angle, you cannot click past enemies to target one just behind and to the side of another.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I love ground combat.

When targeting, you enter a strafing mode. forward/back and strafe left/right.

I turned off auto target enemy that attacks you, so if i need to turn and run, i just hit escape first.

In combat I just got used to the idea that i was strafing instead of turning and found it worked fairly well when i got used to it.

go through the targeting options if you havn't yet, there's a lot there.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What’s really sad is that they have a wonderful control option that does a great soft fps combat system in champions but it’s nowhere to be found here. Sto’s ground combat is slow clunky and just a layer of tedium that has to be waded though. It’s like a really bad rts I still have yet to see anything that remotely constitute tactics or the need for it. Leading mobs into a kill zone one after the other like lemmings is not tactics it’s taking advantage of a stupid ai. Like in open beta I went to full melee to keep from burning a hole though my monitor with hate, so far pulling off random new combos keeps me occupied.

I just don’t get why it’s been done like this. I spend more time having to get my bo’s unstuck than anything else. You don’t need to place anybody anywhere to do anything your bo’s will murder anything and everything in their path on their own. Some people like this it seems but a lot don’t. Some of us want to have to think on our feet, dodge and run from cover to cover like we saw in the show to survive. Not stand there pressing one attack button every 5 seconds and the other every 30 like some dippy bird waiting for the mob to fall over.

Right now it’s like trying to place chess with somebody that doesn’t know the rules or the concept of winning and if left to his own devices will choke on what he lovingly refers to as the horsy.

What I’d really love to see is champions fps controls scheme in the game along with an option for faster cool downs on all weapons for the player and the npcs. At least that way we’d not notice all the problem because we’d be fighting for dear life, it would feel exciting like a challenge.

The youtube link is what combat in champions can be like I should have made one with a munitions but I never thought about it. This one is a guy showing you how to setup champions to work like an fps. He’s showing you melee attack but it works just as well for range attacks and it illustrates what the games capable of if it wasn’t crippled the way it is now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Oe3KezBUU

Yes I know some like it the way it is. I’m not saying to make it feel like an action game only I’m saying give us the options to play it that way if we want.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I just want auto fire back for ground so I can frakin circle strafe (for flank damage) with my pistols without contorting my fingers.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The only part of it I have a problem with is when you're targeting a second character that runs another direction and you get wound up, requiring you to "guess" which way will actually be forward for you. Sometimes you have to push back to forward, and vice versa. Sometimes you even have to strafe to go straight!!! Now that's horrible.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Aether wrote:
    The only part of it I have a problem with is when you're targeting a second character that runs another direction and you get wound up, requiring you to "guess" which way will actually be forward for you. Sometimes you have to push back to forward, and vice versa. Sometimes you even have to strafe to go straight!!! Now that's horrible.

I've been playing for a while in beta and now live and I really have no idea what this guy is talking about.

Yes, I find the default settings for ground combat to be... awkward.

Yes, there are many options for configuring things, such as how the camera works and how your targeting works - and its important to realize that you have to configure these together as a whole. For the OP, changing how your camera follows is probably key to fixing some of what you describe. I couldn't STAND the 'locked in' feeling with the default settings. I like to constantly be looking around me. I know what my guy is facing and shooting at, I don't need to always be looking at it. I'd much rather be looking for guys moving to flanking positions and having the camera snapped back to my current target was driving me crazy. And, combined the auto-follow camera with auto-targeting when attacked, gameplay became a constant whirlwind of spinning cameras. It just sucked (for me.)

But, once I spent some serious time thinking through what I didn't like and playing with options, I found settings that work great for me. Also, keep in mind that you have different sets of options for space combat and ground combat. What works in one may not work in the other (YMMV.)

If you want traditional FPS style mouse-look encounters, though, you aren't going to get it.

In fact, I feel that with the way they designed the game, to tease people with mouselook type support AT ALL was a minor crime, since it encourages people to play in a style that pretty much gimps them both in space and on the ground, compared to what you can get done when you really understand (and work with, instead of against) the keyboard controls.

I've always been a fan of well implemented mouselook interfaces, but that's just not how this game works best.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    OP, rebind your keys as if it was an FPS. Just be sure to have targeting keys easy to reach on your keyboard. Set mouse look to toggle and only hit the toggle key when you need to activate something via hud. Otherwise just use keyboard/mouse to target and fire. See if you like that better.

Also as was previously mentioned, change how the camera operates. I actually thought the default controls were pretty decent myself.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I agree with OP. ok its not as bad as he makes out the auto targetting and the fact we dont have much in the way of offonsive powers (I am an engineer) means its mostly a case of preessing buttons 2 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 2 <tab> 1 1 2 1 1 1 2 etc. But Some times I try and run to riffle butt someone and I do a crazy circle the guy run rather than just run straight at him, at other times its a pain to see who is shooting me.

Only advantage of this is in PvP it is actually possible to sneak up on someone and kill them before they notice you are there.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i love the ground combat, and i cant help but think how it would totally be just like mass effect if we could use out left mouse button to fire, and aimed manually, in stead of rpg combat.

it was be really hectic/fun

its really improved from closed beta.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You can use your left mouse button to fire or your right. Or both I use both left is primary attack right is secondary.

Go to keybinds and replace numlock 1 and 2 under skills with mouse drag, left or right or both. And it could be almost manual aim if the dev’s would just give is the options. It’s only missing like 3 things really.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    topdawg wrote: »
    I am sorry but I have never seen anything so ridicules in my life. ( i know I will get slammed for saying it) For me ground combat is unplayable. I can not get the concept of the spinning camera when I am trying shoot someone. All of a sudden I start moving in opposite directions form the way i am pointing, the camera drops behind my head and I can see who I am shooting. It's fracken crazy! I can't run or walk on angles, I have to move one direction turn and move the other direction. Other players on the same mission probably think some guy is out there doing the robot dance or something. lol :p

You know a lot of what you are describing are simply settings you change change? Like always facing your target/forward, auto targetting them, etc. When you have these options stacked up it can do a lot of things automatically for you when you really don't want it to.

Just my 2 cents
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm afraid I disagree with the OP. I really like the ground combat, and in any case, most of the issues presented in the post can be resolved with keymapping or other option choices.

Al
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I tend to agree. If you turn off and on the right settings it can be pretty much whatever you want. I've been testing and playing now and never had any issues except the first confused day hehe.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This is a pretty standard MMO control scheme. Try holding the right mouse button and moving the mouse for mouse look. It can help a lot.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It is fun. But hampered by needless restrictions. Are you guys able to turn around, whilst targeting an opponent, using keys (not mouse)?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    topdawg wrote: »
    I
    This is only my opinion, I fully support the game and want it to succeed. I own a 1 year subscription. Guess I will be spending all my time in space.

Same here. I really like the space combat but ground combat is terrible. I shoot at Klingons and Orion and they keep getting up and coming back. It's like a gun is almost no better than bare hands. It would be better if I could knock one of the Klingons down and take their weapon and finish them off when they come back at me. I think maybe these are not Klingons but Ondine. In the initial battle with the Borg, two phaser blasts would kill them and they are Borg. Since when can Klingons take more battle damage than Borg? As I said, perhaps they are not really Orion and Klingons.

I found something that was helpful during the beta. The weapons were pretty useless with many attackers, so what I did was give some of the best weapons to my officers, the weapons that should be better but that seemed useless to me. That did help, the AI characters are better able to use them and I will keep a standard phaser and keep trying different weapons until I find one that works for me. Next time I am in "Requisitions" on Earth spacedock, I will see if I can pick up a batleth to go with my hand phaser.

BTW, I have a 1 yr subscription but I want to upgrade it to a lifetime and can't find a way to do it. I got no reply to my query so maybe it can't be done without spending an ADDITIONAL $239
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    After the very good ground combat in their previous two games I dont really know what happened here either. It is so obviously a clone of the three harassing one civilian motif theyve used before that it makes no sense this is so tedious, slow, useless. I was afraid ground combat would be a game of Quake with us all running around like The Flash but this might be even worse.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The thing that annoys me is that the QE+AD keys all strafe left and right with no option to turn. Aaprt from that it's pretty fun.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    RavSS wrote:
    The thing that annoys me is that the QE+AD keys all strafe left and right with no option to turn. Aaprt from that it's pretty fun.

I use my mouse 90% of the time, except to move forward... and even then... I use themouse. Try holding both mouse buttons at once.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Never noticed this is a problem. For me its kinda funny to watch the enemies jump, fall down, jump... around like mad and team members chasing them down a hill when they jump down. Ground combat can be so funny to watch from behind :p
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ground combat is fun in PvP. But yeah, it's kind of boring in PvE...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I actually like the ground combat...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Mayday wrote: »
    After the very good ground combat in their previous two games I dont really know what happened here either. It is so obviously a clone of the three harassing one civilian motif theyve used before that it makes no sense this is so tedious, slow, useless. I was afraid ground combat would be a game of Quake with us all running around like The Flash but this might be even worse.

I might actually like ground combat if it were quake, if only it were like Gears of War or Mass Effect. Currently I view ground combat as something to be endured.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Its actually growing on me, a little more diversity would be nice but I quite like beaming down with me team and despite the path finding they use their abilities quite intelligently which makes a change for A.I
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The only thing I would like to see in ground combat is a bit more skill based then luck based one as it is now.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    amen man. ground combat is just a disaster. why they didnt model ground combat after something actually established, instead of this business, i dont know. I'd have to agree with your statements on the camera too. The camera makes an already terrible situation, unplayable.

I wouldnt call it wolf3d though, thats an insult to wolf 3d, which was fully playable, and a revolution. STO, is not.
    a revolution as I am sure the developers didn't take into account making the camera, and controls, intuitive.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    amen dude, amen