Install Arc
Options

wow... just wow....

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Phage wrote:
    Ahh the self important arrogance of some.. feel better now?

I do! Thanks for asking!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Phage wrote:
    Ahh the self important arrogance of some.. feel better now?

The OP joined the forums in September of '09. There has been abundant reports on what the gameplay is like between then and now, form the gaming press who got to try it out to the closed beta testers who had the NDA lifted for them to talk about their experience to the Open Beta players all freely talking about it.

It is not arrogance or self-importance to point out the fact that had the OP simpley taken advantage of the resources available between then and now, he would have known what he was about to be getting into. If anyone was being self-importantly arrogant here, it was the OP for expecting STO to conform to his idea of what it ought to be.

I was going down that road for a time, and when I realized the futility of it, I simply accepted that STO was going to be whatever Cryptic wanted it to be, no matter what I expected it to be, and that I would either like it and subscribe, or dislike it and pass it over.

Well, personally speakling, I like the potential behind what I see. And what Cryptic has announced in terms of what lies ahead plays right into that potential. So for now, I will be content to just play the game and leave development to Cryptic...

Can STO stand to be improved greatly? Absolutely. So can every MMO when it first launches. Will it improve greatly over time? I think so. But who can really tell... It depends greatly on the quality of what Cryptic adds to the game with each content release, and how frequent those releases are.

But the game, as it is now, is exactly what it has been described as being.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The OP joined the forums in September of '09. There has been abundant reports on what the gameplay is like between then and now, form the gaming press who got to try it out to the closed beta testers who had the NDA lifted for them to talk about their experience to the Open Beta players all freely talking about it.

It is not arrogance or self-importance to point out the fact that had the OP simpley taken advantage of the resources available between then and now, he would have known what he was about to be getting into. If anyone was being self-importantly arrogant here, it was the OP for expecting STO to conform to his idea of what it ought to be.

While I agree with your point, you make the fatal assumption that most people are both intelligent and pro-active. This is clearly false as the majority of the population could be described as exactly the opposite. This is why we have labels for informing people that using a high current electric hair drier in the shower is a generally bad idea.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Guys, I hate to be the one to reveal this to you, but Cryptic didn't make this game just for you.

They made it as it is for people who'll like this kind of game. I, for one, love it. Why make another Eve?... We already have Eve!...

It would be like me going on to some 'Cooking With Mama' forums and saying how terrible it is. Sure, I think it's rubbish, but they didn't make it for me...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SFade wrote:
    While I agree with your point, you make the fatal assumption that most people are both intelligent and pro-active. This is clearly false as the majority of the population could be described as exactly the opposite. This is why we have labels for informing people that using a high current electric hair drier in the shower is a generally bad idea.

I make no assumptions about people's intelligence or pro-activeness... Stupidity, like ignorance, is no excuse. Why join a forum several four months out from launch if you have no intention of actually following the game's development and read the feedback of those who had seen it first-hand? Had his join date been today, or even yesterday, I would not have said a word. Just like I am not going to say a word on the 2nd to the real masses who will start pouring into this community and start screaming that the game doesn't give them what they expect in terms of it letting them experience Star Trek in the way it has been presented on TV and the big screen for over 40 years now.

For as many people as have been following this game's development since it was taken on by Cryptic, there are hundreds if not thousands more who will not have. And they will be far more rabid and far less forgiving than any of us pre-launch members. many of them will take one look at the game and uninstall it, never even giving it a chance.

Why? Because this isn't really a Star Trek MMO.... It's just an MMO with the Star Trek name slapped on the label, which I warned Cryptic will not be good enough to capture the masses who have yet to come. They will be justified in their reactions because they will not have had the facts laid out for them in advance the way the OP did before making his rant.

The game is what it is. Those who can accept that will enjoy it. Those who cannot won't. But in order to accept something, you have to be willing to know what it is. The OP had ample opportunity to find out, but chose not to. So I have no sympathy for him.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Whilst i agree with you dude, you really need to lighten up a bit the other guys post was agreeing with you and then making a joke :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Divitiacus wrote:
    i waited all this time for this?!?!?!?!

first and foremost i play stuff like this for the space game, and whats this? instanced space zones (small at that) freelancer/jumpgate/EVE is the space gameplay i was expecting... here we are doing space "levels" instead................ where is the free roaming space play i EXPECTED star trek to be?!??!?!

Freelancer / Jumpgate = Space Simulator != Star Trek Online....fail!

............................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dunstan wrote:
    Whilst i agree with you dude, you really need to lighten up a bit the other guys post was agreeing with you and then making a joke :)

Sometimes my humor is a bit too dry...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    this game is more about the fun game mechanics and not about running around in 10,000 big empty boxes.

Now, Eve is a better game. More complex, detailed, polished, massive... BUT, Star Trek online is the more enjoyable game.

PvE in EVE is the most boring, easy, craptasic waste of time i have ever seen. PVP is fun because of the politics and death penalty, but the craptastic gameplay shows itself in the boring PVE.

At the end of the day, I prefer the better gameplay mechanics. When you find challenging PVE content, or doing some PVP in STO, its just way more fun then EVE.

If you disagree with me, i'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll grow to love STO or find happiness back in EVE.

Take care, and may Q harass you endlessly.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SFade wrote:
    Sometimes my humor is a bit too dry...

Plus, I'm going on only four hours of sleep... I have a pinched nerve in my back, and while the medicine perscribed by my doctor helps, when it starts to wear off, the pain won't let me find a comfortable position to lay in. so sleep is very difficult until this gets resolved.

And when I don't get rest, I get cranky.

My apologies if it makes me seem like a jerk.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I take instance playing over having to wait to kill a single mob because 1.000.000 other players are on the same damn quest at the same damn time.
    I wish I could drive to work instanced. NO TRAFFIC JAMS FTW!!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    No worries dude,that sounds quite bad dude i hope your back gets better soon, well at least you have STO to take your mind off it, well when it comes back up anyhow
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Plus, I'm going on only four hours of sleep... I have a pinched nerve in my back, and while the medicine perscribed by my doctor helps, when it starts to wear off, the pain won't let me find a comfortable position to lay in. so sleep is very difficult until this gets resolved.

No worries. One learns to wear a thick skin when participating in MMO forums. :)

Edit:
    No worries dude...

Are you my evil twin or something?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    hellcane wrote: »
    A hint to the two claiming EvE has instances.
    To boil it down: an instance is a private map. Only yourself and those you invite in can be inside. So eve has no instances.

I'm sincerely glad not everyone's TRIBBLE here after reading your post. Improper use of terms are so annoying. Like the Klingon who told me my team was "Turtling" because three of us were MES'ed, and only two were visible, despite we were all trying to find them. They were the ones who were ALL cloaked, and invisible to us. So how the **** is that turtling?. Gawd, now I'm angry again. Makes you wish you could just punch people like that in the throat right through your monitor.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Personally, I prefer group-wide instancing copies for missions, because as others point out you are not subject to having to camping every single mob for hours on end just to complete one single quest. Been there, done that, not very fun.

However, I DO think that:
    • Sector space is too small. It should be 50% bigger.
    • There doesn't seem to be many systems.
    • The system space is too small. More planets that you can get to via full impulse within the system would be better (tho technically may not be possible due to the limit on instance sizes I dont know).
    • When you want to warp out, then your ship should maneouvre into a specific direction, not just warp through planets because it happens to be facing that way.

If the ships had to face towards a particular direction in order to warp, then it would also help with the disjointed warp animations that occur whereby your ship warps out too soon, leaving a carbon copy going through the animation of BEGINNING to warp.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Divitiacus wrote:

first and foremost i play stuff like this for the space game, and whats this? instanced space zones (small at that) freelancer/jumpgate/EVE is the space gameplay i was expecting... here we are doing space "levels" instead................ where is the free roaming space play i EXPECTED star trek to be?!??!?!

Freelancer was a fab space game, and to would love another space game like that within an MMO enviroment.
    But ST is definatly a fun game, once get your new ship the game sems to take on a new life, well did for me in beta and am looking forward to exploring the game and developing my charactrer even more so then did then.

Stick with it , it will grow on ya

:)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Divitiacus wrote:

Hey, here's a novel Idea, if you want freeform space play like EVE, then go play EVE.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Eve has a ludicrous amount of instancing, every single system is separate, every roid field is separate and missions send you into a part of space you have to search for with probes, I don't see how you think that is any more open.
    I was wondering when someone is going to point this out.

So many people compare EVEO with STO and say "how good is EVE because of it's 'opennes' and no instancing" but the quoted poster is absolutely right, even though EVEO instances load a bit faster when you jump to a new system, they are still just instances.

Well, EVE isn't instanced in the manner that STO is. Everyone is always in the same place if they are at the same place. Each system is like an instance but there is only one of it.

On top of that, the planets are all realistically sized with realistically huge distances, on the order of hundreds of thousands of kilometers between a moon and it's planet and AUs for between planets and their star, between them.

While you couldn't fly in space from one star system to the next, which at EVE warp speeds would still take years or months to do if you could, you could fly from one end of a star system to the other end at normal non-warp speeds, but it would probably take years or months to do.

Even the probed out places and enemy bases and the like are still within the same "instance" as the rest of the system.

Well, my point is, you both don't seem to understand what an instance really is. An instance is a copy essentially; one of a multitude of the same place with different people inside. So, if you go to Star System A and there are Star System A #1, #2, #3, etc. then those are instances of Star System A. However, if you go to Star System A, and there is only Star System A, and there will ever be only Star System A, then it's not an instance. By your logic, if you have a single large, seamless, open map which stretches from one end of he universe to the other with no copies of that map, then the entire thing is an instance.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I played EVE online for several years on and off. Sure, it's more "massive" and you "can" get up to 1k-2k people in one fight.

It's too bad that never, ever worked out right. Fights with 1-2k people were slide shows, often dominated by lag and titans. They sacrificed functionality for the vision, and in the end, it did not work at all. And if you think EVE has a unique and expansive universe, well lol. You obviously never had to go through a 60 moon system probing every single moon, nor did you have to go through a system looking for enemy POSes.

And my god, POSes. Seriously? POSes alone are enough to make me want to never go through EVE again. I am so tired of sitting around with 50-150 battleships in a RR ball slowly chipping away at the health of a POS. Always having to be within viewing distance of my monitor, and in some cases, punished if I am not. I got to sit around for 1-2 hours watching a POS slowly die while watching Family guy or something trying not to be bored out of my mind.

Yeah thanks i'll stick with my 5 v 5 space fights. They may not be the awesomest most unique and expansive things in the world, but they can be fun and challenging, quite unlike getting doomsdayed by a bored titan pilot.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    LrdPhoenix wrote: »
    Well, EVE isn't instanced in the manner that STO is. Everyone is always in the same place if they are at the same place. Each system is like an instance but there is only one of it.

On top of that, the planets are all realistically sized with realistically huge distances, on the order of hundreds of thousands of kilometers between a moon and it's planet and AUs for between planets and their star, between them.

While you couldn't fly in space from one star system to the next, which at EVE warp speeds would still take years or months to do if you could, you could fly from one end of a star system to the other end at normal non-warp speeds, but it would probably take years or months to do.

Even the probed out places and enemy bases and the like are still within the same "instance" as the rest of the system.

Well, my point is, you both don't seem to understand what an instance really is. An instance is a copy essentially; one of a multitude of the same place with different people inside. So, if you go to Star System A and there are Star System A #1, #2, #3, etc. then those are instances of Star System A. However, if you go to Star System A, and there is only Star System A, and there will ever be only Star System A, then it's not an instance. By your logic, if you have a single large, seamless, open map which stretches from one end of he universe to the other with no copies of that map, then the entire thing is an instance.

It pretty well is instanced, though. The only difference is that there is no loading screen between places in EVE, but that's just because all you had to load was usually a giant 3d planet, a space station and some ships. Maybe some roids too. Or a gate!

That and no one can freely enter your instance. Including hostiles.

Can we please be allowed to enter your instance at will? As a primarily kling player i'd like that. I'd like that a lot.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Please, don't lighten up. After your last couple posts pointing out the self-inflicted ignorance of some people, you're quite possibly my favorite poster ever :D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Instances are fine. They are just duplicates of a zone to separate players from all being in the same map at the same time.

The problem I have is the scale of this game. It has to be the smallest MMO I have played to date. There is no exploration in this game at all. Clusters do not count as you are simply boxed into an area that randomly generates points to scan.

The concept talked about via executive producer Craig Zinkievich, was that there would be boundless areas where exploration was key. That you could not only explore strange new worlds generated by their "genesis system", but that you could save it's location and revisit the planet any time you wished.

He also said that you would be able to recruit unique crew from this planet as well...

I have yet to see any of the above in this game.

About EvE,

EvE had a huge space system at launch. With the added FREE expansions, the game is even bigger in terms of volumed space. Not only could you visit new star systems, but you could look at every planet, moon, comet, and asteroid belt in that system.

Systems were linked together logically via each star system. The star systems weren't randomly generated as you traveled around your 5x5 box either. You could spend an hour just trying to get to a system that you know is there, but have not been to yet. And once you did, the items, factions, dangers that you came across were unique to that area of the galaxy. The farther out you explored, the more likely you wouldn't be coming home in your ship. (STO has only a little of this in it, and it's the bigger brand)

There is no risk in STO at all. You can just fly around and fight like an idiot because you have nothing to worry about. With that being the case, STO has less than a month of physical space to explore before you have seen everything it has to offer. The only reason it will take you a month is because of level restrictions...

If I want to go somewhere, regardless of how stupid I would be to go there as an ensign, let me do it. It's not like you loose anything from dying in this game, right? right.

STO=Quake3 Space map

EDIT: It's also worth noting that what you did in EvE had an effect on EvE's storyline itself. Whereas STO is only effected by the devs doing some event. However, once that event is over, it's back to the previous status quo.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Weirdpig wrote: »
    It pretty well is instanced, though. The only difference is that there is no loading screen between places in EVE, but that's just because all you had to load was usually a giant 3d planet, a space station and some ships. Maybe some roids too. Or a gate!

That and no one can freely enter your instance. Including hostiles.

Can we please be allowed to enter your instance at will? As a primarily kling player i'd like that. I'd like that a lot.

Wait, what?

No, EVE online is not instanced. I could have sworn that I just explained it as simply as I could. Let me put it this way. If in EVE, you are in Star System A, and 1000 PKs come to Star System A, they wind up in your same space, and they may attack you at will. With that many they probably wouldn't have to worry much about the space police either if you were in High Sec space.

Now, if you were talking about STO, you didn't make yourself very clear. And yes, you may indeed enter any of my instances at will. I have over a decade of MMO PvP under my belt, and was raiding peoples' sectors in Trade Wars on the BBSes well before that.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I played Eve for quite a while. I'm not there now. I am so glad STO isn't all Jita'd up. You cannot reasonably compare STO and Eve.

They have one thing in common, they're both space games.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    RichVR wrote: »
    I played Eve for quite a while. I'm not there now. I am so glad STO isn't all Jita'd up. You cannot reasonably compare STO and Eve.

They have one thing in common, they're both space games.

STO is the bigger brand, while EvE is the bigger game (since launch).

There, I was just able to reasonably compare them.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I don't see what the big complaint about instancing is all about? Why does it make you suspend your imagination, that space is not large?

Complain about cut scenes when warping, why? It is a short load screen, a few seconds at its worse. EVE and WoW have longer load screens. Eve even has to stop traffic to certain systems becuse they get overloaded.

Yes, there are still some bugs out there. Yes, there are some changes that were suggested that have not been done (ie: mission maps could have more detail). But, overall it is pretty good game that has great potential.

I give is a "B -" (80%), slightly down from my Open Beta score because of a few glitches.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Just my thoughts on it. Ive been playing MMO's for a long time now since the release of Asheron's call. As that was my first MMO and it was very similar to EVE where you could start at point a and run for 3 hours across the entire game it was a thrill. Jump into a town and there are 200 people there trading buying selling etc it was awesome.

Since then i have learned to Hate instanced games. Why have a fleet of 500 people when i cant even go do a massive PVP fleet battle against the Klingon's. that's what i know about EVE and they were doing it what 5 years ago? Why cant MMO's Progress learn and move forward. This game is a step back. I'm sorry this isn't a MMO its allot of SMO's lots of Small games run on one server. There is no difference to this game and Battlefield 2 both only allow X number of player onto a Map they finish the battle jump out and go to another map.

What about the fact i cant loop or roll over. This is space isn't it? even MS Flight Sim I'm sure you can roll backwards and over and preform thoughts kinds of maneuvers and thats what 10 years old.

The game has less complexity than WOW its pretty ill give them that the graphics are great. The game has maybe 3 month's of life in it for me. I wanted it to be good so badly cause I'm such a Trek Head but expectations have left me feeling very down on the whole game. Its like they used the same engine for City of Hero's and saved a bundle using it.

Lets hope i find it interesting enough to play it till Star Wars Online comes out. That's all i have to say.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    people who should be playing eve if they want to play eve ITT.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    people who should be playing eve if they want to play eve ITT.

A truer post, if not poorly written, there ever was. :P

However, all games, including MMO's, are compared to those before them.

Space is Big
    EvE is Big (since launch)
    STO is, not so big..
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Delazure wrote: »
    Don't be so severe now. Try "exploration" missions, I bet you'll love them.

For me exploring is to NOT be on a missions but to EXPLORE!!
This discussion has been closed.