test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

wow... just wow....

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
i waited all this time for this?!?!?!?!

first and foremost i play stuff like this for the space game, and whats this? instanced space zones (small at that) freelancer/jumpgate/EVE is the space gameplay i was expecting... here we are doing space "levels" instead................ where is the free roaming space play i EXPECTED star trek to be?!??!?!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    dont get me wrong i want to belive, but jesus, spore has better space play... i feel like im playing wing commander 3 but with restrictions on where i can go!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Don't be so severe now. Try "exploration" missions, I bet you'll love them.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Delazure wrote: »

i've got 30 days, but so far im pretty disheartened with this game.

if you ever played freelancer that was THE space game, but it was out before MMO'S and the small private run server's killed it.

they need to bring that level of "space play"
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    one of the biggest things i hate so far is the warp cut away scenes. i had major hopes for a tail camera mid warp scenes or controlable, not just "push x to change locations"
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Divitiacus wrote:

first and foremost i play stuff like this for the space game, and whats this? instanced space zones (small at that) freelancer/jumpgate/EVE is the space gameplay i was expecting... here we are doing space "levels" instead................ where is the free roaming space play i EXPECTED star trek to be?!??!?!

Eve has a ludicrous amount of instancing, every single system is separate, every roid field is separate and missions send you into a part of space you have to search for with probes, I don't see how you think that is any more open.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Exploration missions are the best. I got one where I had to scan gorgons, it was awesome just because I didn't have to fire a single phaser.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    An_Heron wrote:
    Exploration missions are the best. I got one where I had to scan gorgons

O Rly ? Thrilling.

(yaaawn)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Eve has a ludicrous amount of instancing, every single system is separate, every roid field is separate and missions send you into a part of space you have to search for with probes, I don't see how you think that is any more open.

I was wondering when someone is going to point this out.

So many people compare EVEO with STO and say "how good is EVE because of it's 'opennes' and no instancing" but the quoted poster is absolutely right, even though EVEO instances load a bit faster when you jump to a new system, they are still just instances.

For the record, I have no problem with instances whattsoever.
    In fact, I love the fact that there aren't 100,000 starships orbiting Sol right now, few hours after launch.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

but you could go to a system and on "impulse" between all the planets in the system. not circle one planet and thats it
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Divitiacus wrote:
    but you could go to a system and on "impulse" between all the planets in the system. not circle one planet and thats it

Would take hours and there is nothing in between, did you honestly ever do this? I see what you mean and that would be more interesting. But I never found eve to be a good example of how space should be layed out. Perhaps something like jump gate evo will show us all the way.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Divitiacus wrote:
    dont get me wrong i want to belive, but jesus, spore has better space play... i feel like im playing wing commander 3 but with restrictions on where i can go!

Haha...Spore.

Too bad you don't like the game.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I find it funny that people don't research a game before they buy it, and then get upset.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This reminds me I'm out of waffles.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I dont understand any of you people, did you not READ anything about this game befor you bought it?
  • Options
    edited January 2010

those just need to be removed... i refuse to do them... a blank box that requires me to fly around and then
    "scan" them so i can then zone some more. I just find the "exploration" zones a complete waste of my time. Like if you want me to do Kahless expanse then just zone me there. Dont make we wander thru some lobby clicking on nonsense.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Spore, that gave me a wicked good chuckle =)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I was wondering when someone is going to point this out.

So many people compare EVEO with STO and say "how good is EVE because of it's 'opennes' and no instancing" but the quoted poster is absolutely right, even though EVEO instances load a bit faster when you jump to a new system, they are still just instances.

For the record, I have no problem with instances whattsoever.
    In fact, I love the fact that there aren't 100,000 starships orbiting Sol right now, few hours after launch.
    A hint to the two claiming EvE has instances.
    To boil it down: an instance is a private map. Only yourself and those you invite in can be inside. So eve has no instances.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Divitiacus wrote:
    i've got 30 days, but so far im pretty disheartened with this game.

if you ever played freelancer that was THE space game, but it was out before MMO'S and the small private run server's killed it.

they need to bring that level of "space play"

ive got a lifetime to play, and i am happy about this... i wasnt here for beta but it seems fine to me, reminds me of smaller version of star wars galaxies space
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    scottd90 wrote: »
    ive got a lifetime to play, and i am happy about this... i wasnt here for beta but it seems fine to me, reminds me of smaller version of star wars galaxies space

wait until you have zoned a few 100 more times....
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    hellcane wrote: »
    To boil it down: an instance is a private map. Only yourself and those you invite in can be inside. So eve has no instances.

LOL, can i have some of that stuff you smoke ?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Chenchuan wrote: »

meh, loads so fast they could have left the loading screen out. unless your running on a 20 year old HDD
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    hellcane wrote: »

your an idiot. An instance is any map that has to load for you to enter it, be it public, private, or somewhere inbetween. two examples would be Guild Wars and Age of Conan. Guild Wars had private instances while Age of Conan had public instances.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Which demonstrates you have no clear the concept of instancing. What you say is true in terms of how software works, I mean, everything needs to be loaded into memory and doing so you are creating instances of its different components.

Eve gameworld is persistent and unique, except for missions that are instanced (are created and destroyed after its lifecycle has been completed). Every star system is instanced only once, at server start, all players share this space and travel through these persistent and unique gameworld areas. If a player drops a secure container close to a moon today, another player may find it next year: that is a persistent and dynamic gameworld.

The concept of instancing is used to denote no persistency and not uniqueness of the game world. STO is based in levels that are created for the duration of a mission or chat lobbies (sector space) such as the used in Guild Wards where nothing at all persists ever beyond the instance lifecycle.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I don't see why people complain about the instances. I would rather that than be crowded by a 100,000 PC's trying to talk to the exact same NPC I'm trying to talk to. And the screen loads so fast, I don't have an issue with it breaking my immersion.
    And I like that the exploration missions are fairly random. Only thing I wish was I could flag the mission for the badges whenever I want. The game still needs some fleshing out, but it's no where near as bad as some people are making it out to be.
    And yea, you might want to research a game before you buy it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Keru wrote:
    I don't see why people complain about the instances. I would rather that than be crowded by a 100,000 PC's trying to talk to the exact same NPC I'm trying to talk to. And the screen loads so fast, I don't have an issue with it breaking my immersion.
    And I like that the exploration missions are fairly random. Only thing I wish was I could flag the mission for the badges whenever I want. The game still needs some fleshing out, but it's no where near as bad as some people are making it out to be.
    And yea, you might want to research a game before you buy it.

I don't think the complaint (at least in my case specifically) is so much that each sector block is instanced to only allow x number of people in it, but that each area is so small. In Eve if you went to Sol sector, that would include EVERY planet in the Sol sector, along with every starbase around each planet (some had as many as 4-6 bases around each planet and every planet is in the same "zone" for that sector. So you could literally fly from Sol Base at Earth to Utopia Planetia shipyards at Mars. In fact now that I think about it didn't each sector in Eve contain multiple solar systems? Been a long time since I played it so I might be remembering that part incorrectly.

Which btw, WTF can't we get our new ships THERE instead of at Sol Base. Utopia Planetia is mentioned in damn near EVERY ST series.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Twente wrote:
    LOL, can i have some of that stuff you smoke ?

Hes, right though. People are fundamentally misrepresenting Eve's system. Unlike STO's, Eves solar systems are seamless. You can warp across the solar system, and you could, if you spent the time to do it, cross it at sublight as well. All without EVER seeing a load screen. Furthermore, the "grids" that support the systems are singular, if you go to any given grid, you will see anyone else on that given grid at all times, there is no "alternate realities" as you get with normal instancing. Its a vastly superior system for representing space, there is no question about that.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    scottd90 wrote: »
    ive got a lifetime to play, and i am happy about this...

There are people who said that yesterday, about this game and others, and they are dead today. Don't want to be a downer, just a reality check. You're mortal.

Chenchuan wrote: »

There's the rub.

faithborn wrote:
    your an idiot. An instance is any map that has to load for you to enter it, be it public, private, or somewhere inbetween. two examples would be Guild Wars and Age of Conan. Guild Wars had private instances while Age of Conan had public instances.

You are beeg heejot :p And EQ zones were all instances because they loaded, right? Welcome to the world of MMOs. Guessing is not allowed.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Off hand, this is generally why unless its a game I'm dying to have hot off the shelves/presses, I'll wait about a month after the game first comes out. That usually gives you enough time to check the community and see the reviews and see if its a game you're really interested in. Some people like the way Eve is set up, some don't. Being a diligent consumer and checking out potential investments is always a good idea. Otherwise, its a buyer beware market.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Divitiacus wrote:

Let's see... You joined in September of 2009. Which means that you have been subject to enough descriptive material of what the game plays like to know what the game IS, but rather than accepting it, you chose to continue to lean on your personal EXPECTATION based on what you think the game OUGHT to be. What I saw in open beta was exactly what was described by everyone who was able to report on what the gameplay is like from closed beta and press snippets before.

Now if you didn't bother to follow this game prior to today with any seriousness, then you have only yourself to blame. And no, I'm not just being a Cryptic fanboy. There have been enough reports on how the gameplay was going to actually be to make an informed decision for several months now. Not bothering to research the product before buying is a failing of the customer, not Cryptic.

Take responsibility for your own choice of ignorance rather than blaming others because you willingly ignored the facts as they have been reported...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Let's see... You joined in September of 2009. Which means that you have been subject to enough descriptive material of what the game plays like to know what the game IS, but rather than accepting it, you chose to continue to lean on your personal EXPECTATION based on what you think the game OUGHT to be. What I saw in open beta was exactly what was described by everyone who was able to report on what the gameplay is like from closed beta and press snippets before.

Now if you didn't bother to follow this game prior to today with any seriousness, then you have only yourself to blame. And no, I'm not just being a Cryptic fanboy. There have been enough reports on how the gameplay was going to actually be to make an informed decision for several months now. Not bothering to research the product before buying is a failing of the customer, not Cryptic.

Take responsibility for your own choice of ignorance rather than blaming others because you willingly ignored the facts as they have been reported...

Ahh the self important arrogance of some.. feel better now?
This discussion has been closed.