Install Arc
Options

Gamestop Constitution already in game?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010

Sniff.

Ahhhhh, she's a thing of beauty, she is.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well those street date violators are welcome to have their Connies before I get mine but...WHY CAN'T I HAVE MY ADMIRAL'S UNIFORM?! =(
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think it's ridiculous that we can't have the pre-order items early. I have no desire to play in the headstart since I can't make the character I want to make.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Pasquatic wrote:
    I don't understand the marketing strategy here. If we have applied the pre-order code to our accounts and have access to the headstart, why doesn't Cryptic want us to enjoy the full game during headstart by simply allowing us to apply our retail code to the same account.

Can't access be controlled by a different method? Such as a logic test to see if the pre-order code was applied prior to the headstart date and the account has the appropriate retail key as well?

(I'd question the insipid use of the term 'Connie' to refer to a Constitution Class starship, except I already know that the Internet is ruled by illiteracy.)

Because, you could effectivly cancel the pre-order (i.e. not pick it up) still and would get a free Constitution if they let you do that.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I wouldn't leap to the conclusion of some Game stop Conspiracy. Stop to think what other type of employee might have access too all of the different in game Bonuses, then cross reference it with where the Lifetime Members purchased their service. You will notice there is a common link which would provide "bonus" items prior to retail release.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    archermoo wrote: »
    For that matter it could be a Cryptic employee...

but why would a Cryptic employee do that when they can spawn themselves as a borg sphere.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Pasquatic wrote:
    (I'd question the insipid use of the term 'Connie' to refer to a Constitution Class starship, except I already know that the Internet is ruled by illiteracy.)

Not illiteracy, laziness. :p
    Niblik wrote: »
    Sniff.

Ahhhhh, she's a thing of beauty, she is.

To be honest, I don't really care for that design, but it is FAR nicer looking than the other starter tier ships.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Probably is nobody breaking anything. Gamestop has a habit of shipping pre-orders early so that it'll get to the person on release day. If someone orders the next day delivery, sometimes they get it afew days early. That's likely what happened here.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I did my pre-order through Gamestop. I stopped by their shop on the way home from work today. They informed me their pre-order wouldn't be available until 2 Feb. I'm logged in and playing on my pre-order key in the good ol Miranda.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    oh god, make it stop redownloading.. my buddy called while at was at work and warned me about this, tried just running the startrekonline.exe, had to download 3.7GB. when the game finally launched, it wouldnt connect to the login server.

thought maybe i HAVE to have steam running, now im at 76%.

BOOO FREAKIN HOOO!!

Can someone call me a WAAAMBULANCE!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Could be the DDE version from Gamestop.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Because, you could effectivly cancel the pre-order (i.e. not pick it up) still and would get a free Constitution if they let you do that.

But, um, then they wouldn't get to play past headstart, so it wouldn't benefit them any. This fails to adequately explain the situation.

I think it's more likely that they didn't take the time to track what pre-order sites got what pre-order codes. Laziness on logistics' part.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If you upgrade the beam weapons on the connie do they still remain blue?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Any chance we can get the stats for the Connie? I hear its the same as the starters, I just don't wanna believe it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah. In Canada, EB Games told me that I would get the Constitution, but guess what I didn't get? THE CONSTITUTION I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION I WAS BUYING! Alas, I put up a ticket for it, but I'm sure by the time it gets looked at, the constitution wont be avail anymore or something. In the mean time, has anyone noticed how PLANET VULCAN HAS LICHTS THAT CAN BE SEEN FROM ORBIT THAT ARE REALLY JUST A COPY-PASTE OF THE EUROPEAN LIGHTS ON THE PLANET EARTH MODEL TEXTURES? TAKE A LOOK, YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE ITALY! LOOK FOR A BOOT SHAPED COUNTRY!

LOL
    cheeck it out. the image of ITALY ON VULCAN is in my photobucket link!

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn238/medicinalmorphine/screenshot_2010-01-29-21-26-31.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    theroguex wrote: »
    But, um, then they wouldn't get to play past headstart, so it wouldn't benefit them any. This fails to adequately explain the situation.

I think it's more likely that they didn't take the time to track what pre-order sites got what pre-order codes. Laziness on logistics' part.

you are thinking in terms of people who would only pre-order one game.

There have been people who pre-ordered from every retailer. They could cancel all but one and still get all the other pre-orders if they didn't need the retail key. As I said in another thread there were better ways to do it, for example allowing the retailers to release the game early to the people who pre-ordered it, which would also allow them to charge them when the released the game.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Any chance we can get the stats for the Connie? I hear its the same as the starters, I just don't wanna believe it.

same as the other starters except blue phasers and a extra engineering equipment slot
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    sabrem wrote: »
    you are thinking in terms of people who would only pre-order one game.

There have been people who pre-ordered from every retailer. They could cancel all but one and still get all the other pre-orders if they didn't need the retail key. As I said in another thread there were better ways to do it, for example allowing the retailers to release the game early to the people who pre-ordered it, which would also allow them to charge them when the released the game.

Now that is what I was hoping they'd do. For example I pre-ordered from Gamestop, so what would've been nice would be that I walk in, show my receipt as proof of having purchased the whole game, and walk out with a nice, shiny STO CE box with the Connie code, and have all that happen today. Rather than on Tuesday...
    sabrem wrote: »
    same as the other starters except blue phasers and a extra engineering equipment slot

And it looks better than the other three. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2010

So?

You get a months free play with the pre-orders, so if you order from a shop you can return it within the month and get a refund by saying something like "It doesnt work". So, there is no logic to your argument.

It still doesnt explain why people who have payed for the game and have downloaded the game already cant have their retail keys now.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So?

You get a months free play with the pre-orders, so if you order from a shop you can return it within the month and get a refund by saying something like "It doesnt work". So, there is no logic to your argument.

It still doesnt explain why people who have payed for the game and have downloaded the game already cant have their retail keys now.

No you cant. any mmo thats open, the best you could get is a new coppy of the disk. I work at a customer service desk and we can only replace a open computer game with a new copy of the same game, which we open befor we let you have. And its not optional, its Federal copyright law.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    draculla wrote: »
    No you cant. any mmo thats open, the best you could get is a new coppy of the disk. I work at a customer service desk and we can only replace a open computer game with a new copy of the same game, which we open befor we let you have. And its not optional, its Federal copyright law.

Well, like the majority of people, I couldnt care about "federal" law as I do not live in the US.

My statutory consumer rights allow me to return any purchase that "I" deem faulty for a full refund within a certain period of time after purchase. After that time is elapsed I can still return it for a replacement, or store credit for a longer period of time, but most retailers have a "no quibble" policy over returns for this longer period which means you do get a full refund, so that customers do not shop in the shop next door that does have one.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Just happy atari gave me tracking number today and date for delivery is feb 2nd.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    all these people complaing about not getting their connie on the second, they aren't bothering to ship the collectors edition to australia till the 18th feb! seriously buck up people! not the end of the world waiting one week, waiting 3 weeks however to get my voyager uniform... I won't even get to use the connie for the first toon I start cause it'll be 3 weeks late.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i saw one to wish i had mine
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    DEV comment on early release of Constitution Class for some? If its Cryptic employees I could care less. I'm sure they are working their butts off behind the scenes even if people have gripes about the game so far. If its Gamestop employees breaking the rules then run a quere on their accounts and suspend them until the 2nd for trying to cheat the system and everyone else that has to wait on their Items.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Gorgeous. Wish I had mine :(
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Doesn't matter to me.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

If you apply the retail key you can no longer cancel the pre-order, because the key can not be returned. It's not hard to figure out.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, like the majority of people, I couldnt care about "federal" law as I do not live in the US.

My statutory consumer rights allow me to return any purchase that "I" deem faulty for a full refund within a certain period of time after purchase. After that time is elapsed I can still return it for a replacement, or store credit for a longer period of time, but most retailers have a "no quibble" policy over returns for this longer period which means you do get a full refund, so that customers do not shop in the shop next door that does have one.

It doesn't work that way for software. Once you've opened the package, no return or refund. You can get a replacement copy of the media if the media is damaged or otherwise faulty, but you won't get a new activation code and you will not get a refund or store credit. Unless you live in China. Are you a chinese gold farmer?
  • Options
    edited January 2010

You're very lucky then. I work in a game store, and it is mandated (both by law and by the manufacturer of the game) that we do not give refunds for opened PC games. Ever. Again, I can't speak for other countries, but I know that in America, retailers are not permitted to give refunds for opened games. We can't even give store credit. It's only the exact same game or nothing.

otherwise, no retailer would stay in business, because each customer would fall back on the "right" you mention and only buy one game... ever. They'd pay for one game, play it for a month, then return it, demanding that "right", then get another game. Then they'd play it for a month and return it for another game. And so on for infinity.

Gaming is one of the few retail situations where a "no questions asked" refund policy isn't permitted.
This discussion has been closed.