test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

busy server important info

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited January 2010 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
So you don't have to go though the 11 pages of people post saying unhelpful things over an over so here is the important info:
tedgp123 wrote: »
The servers are full to capacity. Literally. A dev has even gone on record saying even he couldnt log in, and they are working, literally, around the clock optimizing server code to get every last ounce of power out of the servers, . They have also ordered new hardware for the servers, and asked for expediated delivery, so until that hardware arrives, theres nothing more they can do.

What you need to remember, is this is cryptic's first time at creating and delivering an MMO of this size, and for so many players. You need to give them time to optimize things, and stop being elfish, sayign everything should be perfect, just because YOU want to log in now.

So stop your whining about logging onto the server and stop the posting the same thing over and over it does not help them when you say, "fix it now", "i can't log in" and stuff like that. Be patient they will get it fix in time.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Am I frustrated I can't log in now, yes. But I am certainly glad they are finding this out now, rather than release. The busier the server gets the beefier they'll make it.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The thing is though they should have seen it coming.

Star Trek online is possibly the most highly anticipated game since the release of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 so for them to seriously under estimate the volumes of players that could be connecting/connected at any one time is.....well i won't lie it makes me feel like i've been robbed of £49.99

Not only is it going to be a massive MMO its also going to be home of possibly the entire worlds supply of Star Trek Nerds (myself included!!) so i say again - They should have seen it coming and beefed the servers up to stop this issue from happening.

I truly hope that everything todo with the servers IE connecting etc is fixed before release otherwise Cryptic are going to be in real trouble and the forums will be getting real busy with people complaining.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Maybe their past release history suggested that the current server capacity would be adequate for beta. Or maybe they're intentionally maxing out the server as another stress test.

Possible still that the Star Trek IP is drawing attention faster and stronger than Cryptic have prepared for. Numbers and guesswork only go so far.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ITS BETA!!! this is what beta is for to find these issues so they can be solved before release, Beta is simply a perk it is not the game, give your head a shake if you are getting upset about this, this is why they have beta to test server capacities.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Odd thing is that instead of a "Log in Later" message, I am now getting an "invalid uesername/password message". And yes, I checked my name/password.

Anyone else getting this?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=1464265#post1464265 You need to add that in too OP ;)

If anyone complains after that, then, to put it bluntly, theyre just dumb.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    jedi1967 wrote: »
    Odd thing is that instead of a "Log in Later" message, I am now getting an "invalid uesername/password message". And yes, I checked my name/password.

Anyone else getting this?

Usernames and passwords are case sensitive. If you still recieve an error, check your user and pass in your account panel, and contact accounts and billing.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    tedgp123 wrote: »
    Usernames and passwords are case sensitive. If you still recieve an error, check your user and pass in your account panel, and contact accounts and billing.

OK . . . . . I am such an idiot. Still can't get in the game, but at least that problem is solved.

Thank You.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Silkroad Online- a worldwide MMO- with thousands of members- possibly millions- has full servers all the time Besides the free players- we spend a fortune to (like 500.)a year for extras! Like preium 30 day tickets that allow you to log in quicker. But like I said- It being around for years- updating regularly- re releasing new clients- the servers are always full. Its the nature of the MMO- and I'm sure that there are going to be as many or more worldwide STO players. And so I wait..................:)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm not sure this is the answer those of us who spent the money ahead of time, investing in the game's future, want to hear right now. All I want is the schmo who's sitting on the server right now picking his nose to LOG OFF so that active players who want to learn the game can get in there and enjoy it. "We're working on it" is nice...being able to log onto the game like I expected when I pre-ordered it, is alot nicer. Entering a system and seeing ships just sitting there, and STILL there after I'm done and getting ready to leave is frustrating. If the servers being maxxed, kick people off for more than say 30 seconds of inactivity.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    -V- wrote: »
    I'm not sure this is the answer those of us who spent the money ahead of time, investing in the game's future, want to hear right now. All I want is the schmo who's sitting on the server right now picking his nose to LOG OFF so that active players who want to learn the game can get in there and enjoy it. "We're working on it" is nice...being able to log onto the game like I expected when I pre-ordered it, is alot nicer. Entering a system and seeing ships just sitting there, and STILL there after I'm done and getting ready to leave is frustrating. If the servers being maxxed, kick people off for more than say 30 seconds of inactivity.

30 seconds is a bit extreme some times i need to pee.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    better than letting poges just sit there, go fix a sandwich, shovel the driveway and walk the dog then come back to actually playing the game...alright..i'll concede 2 minutes. if it takes you longer than that to pee, you have issues the game can't fix.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Tbh my position is that first itme experience with launching a mmo at this since really dosent absolve the devs from every ounce of responsibility connected with very dire problems tied to the server side of the game. Atm we are bout 3 weeks off the scheduled live launch and to be fair they have to run really fast to get them all solved before that. I totally agree about the aspect that the popularity potential in a mmo based upon one of the most popular scfi franchises since the original series from 1969 to today should have warrented the devs to have budgeted a huge post for hardware considering this issue. I really like this game already just from playing it for only these 4 to 5 days of open beta to the point of addictiveness ^^, but i sincerely dont hope that the server capacity we are playing on atm is gonna be the same amount of capacity that cryptic will launch live with in bout 3 weeks or so since i think this is gonna cause alot of bugs and troubles for people to the extend that it will maby direct the game on problematic path for survival where alot of other new scifi mmos in the past few years have ended up cancled even though they had the potential to shine.

Ofc it´s still beta so im crossing my fingers and hope that the otherwise most awsome devs will with the help of uz testers make it 100% awsome at lauch to the time of the next big bang :)

Cheers

KLINGONS ON THE STARBOARD BOW!!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Tbh my position is that first itme experience with launching a mmo at this since really dosent absolve the devs from every ounce of responsibility connected with very dire problems tied to the server side of the game. Atm we are bout 3 weeks off the scheduled live launch and to be fair they have to run really fast to get them all solved before that. I totally agree about the aspect that the popularity potential in a mmo based upon one of the most popular scfi franchises since the original series from 1969 to today should have warrented the devs to have budgeted a huge post for hardware considering this issue. I really like this game already just from playing it for only these 4 to 5 days of open beta to the point of addictiveness ^^, but i sincerely dont hope that the server capacity we are playing on atm is gonna be the same amount of capacity that cryptic will launch live with in bout 3 weeks or so since i think this is gonna cause alot of bugs and troubles for people to the extend that it will maby direct the game on problematic path for survival where alot of other new scifi mmos in the past few years have ended up cancled even though they had the potential to shine.

unluckily for me the last game i bought and thought was launched too early was Vanguard

That game lasted 4-5 months, then servers closed and byebye

I HOPE they are a BIG team working on fixes :)

I truly hope. I like this game.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    They are going to need more than one server...200 shards isn't cutting it. lol
    THAT IS A GOOD SIGN, ME HOPES.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wow..Looks like they may have underestimated the power of the Trekkers.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    /me is sad
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So you give away 15K-20K open access beta keys. You only have 3-weeks of open beta. You run promotions for "Pre-Order Specials and content". You are releasing an MMO extension to one of the most successful sci-fi franchises around.

You then either fail to adequately measure in closed beta the per-node populous or mismanage the initial configuration of the servers. It would be safe to say that every person who signed up for the closed beta WOULD be clammoring to get an open beta key. It is also safe to say that at a minimum everyone who has pre-ordered will be playing. Do you not have access to this number and then plan for a launch population of 2/3 or 3/4 of it? Could you not have gotten the percentage of server cap needed pre/post launch based from closed/open beta requests from city of heroes/villians and/or champions online?

Sounds to me like things were not thought through, or that marketing got ahead of development. I for one won't be jumping on any of that pre-order bandwagon or special subscription train until I can play the open beta for more then 1-hour. BTW, the servers crashed twice during that hour and I had to re-roll once from a failed recovery in the starter missions. Bug report was submitted.

Given the lack of capacity, there should be some sort of 5-minute idle timer imposed as mentioned previously. If you are not going to actively play then log off. There is already enough anomalous masses in space, it doesn't need more.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I appreciate that some people understand the problem from a technical point of view. I have been in open betas of other games where 99% demanded to have the entire gaming experience like it was a live game. Also I guess that most of them do not really now what a "server" actually is and that they have never seen one and therefore cannot even begin to comprehend what it takes to run them 24/7.
    Just a quick reminder for those who do not unterstand the challenge that Cryptic are facing at the moment:

You can only get a fixed amount of people on a server (one (1) physical machine) depending on the efficiency of the gamecode and the power of the machine. To estimate the number of servers you need you need to estimate how many peolple at a time will play your game. That is really not easy due to different timezones around the globe and different popularity in certain parts of the world. Then you can calculate how many machines you need including those for backup. And these things are not cheap so you have to balance the amount of servers with you estimations. Otherwise you will effectively burn cash. That is also why there is usually no large stockpile of servers waiting to go live.

And this is exactly what we are experiencing now. We are in this estimating phase and as it turned out Cryptics estimations were a bit out. But this is a beta so everything is fine. I would not want to see "You cannot log in because the servers are full" when I actually pay 13 € per month to play the game. To prevent that happening they stage this beta.
    And to those who got their beta key from pre ordering STO: You have ordered a game that will go live at 02/02/10 and not as soon as you got your hands on your beta key. You have not paid for already playing the live game while they are staging the beta phase for all the mere mortals that have not pre ordered.

So sit back and relax. Things will get sorted out but it takes a bit of your valuable time.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Im not gunna Write a Huge post about this because i dont want to be Flamed and i doubt anything will come of it,

But, Cryptic should get in contact with CCP the creators behind Eve Online, If they can have 45k players online at anyone time on a Single Server they are defantly doing something right, but i doubt that would happen, mainly because that is eve's strong Point and its proberly a corporate secret ect.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Im sure Cryptic knows how to sort out the issue, and it has been stated that they are doing so, i think its fantastic this is happenging and now they are ready for feb
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If they can have 45k players online at anyone time on a Single Server

That is sort of what I was talking about. When you say "single server" you probably imagine a single physical machine which of course is the wrong thing to do. You cannot possibly put 45k people on a single machine.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I appreciate that some people understand the problem from a technical point of view. I have been in open betas of other games where 99% demanded to have the entire gaming experience like it was a live game. Also I guess that most of them do not really now what a "server" actually is and that they have never seen one and therefore cannot even begin to comprehend what it takes to run them 24/7.
    Just a quick reminder for those who do not unterstand the challenge that Cryptic are facing at the moment:

You can only get a fixed amount of people on a server (one (1) physical machine) depending on the efficiency of the gamecode and the power of the machine. To estimate the number of servers you need you need to estimate how many peolple at a time will play your game. That is really not easy due to different timezones around the globe and different popularity in certain parts of the world. Then you can calculate how many machines you need including those for backup. And these things are not cheap so you have to balance the amount of servers with you estimations. Otherwise you will effectively burn cash. That is also why there is usually no large stockpile of servers waiting to go live.

And this is exactly what we are experiencing now. We are in this estimating phase and as it turned out Cryptics estimations were a bit out. But this is a beta so everything is fine. I would not want to see "You cannot log in because the servers are full" when I actually pay 13 € per month to play the game. To prevent that happening they stage this beta.
    And to those who got their beta key from pre ordering STO: You have ordered a game that will go live at 02/02/10 and not as soon as you got your hands on your beta key. You have not paid for already playing the live game while they are staging the beta phase for all the mere mortals that have not pre ordered.

So sit back and relax. Things will get sorted out but it takes a bit of your valuable time.

OK... I get most of that...but it still doesn't answer my earlier post of "why are inactives allowed to sit in a server "spot"" i hope no one is just now realizing "oh, what exactly DID we set the timeout function to?" 30 seconds? a minute? 2 minutes? for pre-release any of those would have been expected and defensible. someone sitting in a game spot for 10-15 or god-forbid 30 minutes without making a keystroke or mouse click should absolutely GET THE BOOT!
    You know who you are...get off the server!
    People who will actually perfrom Beta-Work are watiing while you text your girlfriend, scratch your butt or even (ugh) go to the fridge for a third sandwich. Time to go for a run tubby and leave the gaming to people who are serious.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Fuskar wrote: »
    So you don't have to go though the 11 pages of people post saying unhelpful things over an over so here is the important info:

So stop your whining about logging onto the server and stop the posting the same thing over and over it does not help them when you say, "fix it now", "i can't log in" and stuff like that. Be patient they will get it fix in time.

and you stop posting threads whinning about the whiners would be nice to..
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well, technically you are right. You could implement that sort of machanism in beta but you cannot maintain it when going live. People have paid for the usage of the servers to play the game and you cannot throw them out because they went to the loo with the newspaper.
    So you have to implement it for beta and then patch it out again when going live which is a bit of wasted time. And all you can achieve with it is the prevention of situations that can and will happen when being live and the server capacity needed when being live is what you want to check with the beta.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    First let me state that I know that this is open beta and it is supposed to be used to test and gauge the systems capabilities. But in my opinion I think that Cryptic may have jumped the gun in its development and release date. Take the history of the development of this game. First it was being developed by Perpetual Entertainment. Which started in 2004. They went bankrupt in January 2008. That is almost 4 year of development without even going into beta. Now in 2008 Perpetual transfered the assets of the game (naming rights) Cryptic but not the code. That means that Cryptic had to start from scratch. You can not tell me that in just about a years time that Cryptic managed to develop a and get into beta a game the Perpetual could not even get done in 4 years without cutting corners. And one of the many corners is the server.

As a huge Star Trek fan I am hoping for the success of this game and I will continue to play. the short comings of the game will be fixed as long as the fans of Star Trek and of MMOs due not abandon this game and as for content I am sure that Cryptic done there home work and we will see that they have done so when the game launches.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I doubt its from scratch this ain't cryptic's first time at doing an MMO, so they have A) experiance B) a library of assets that no doubt helped them get started. Noone doing software development wants to reinvent the wheel, you have enough to do making sure the wheel doesn't fall off :S

The unable to login issue is a good thing to find in beta, as it will let cryptic know how many players they can support per server/cluster and they can use that combined with the information on preoders sold and other marketing guesses to try and avoid the issues that exist with logging on atm.

This is what beta is all about making and changing the game so that when it goes live people get the best experience possible, which is the end goal.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    One of the purposes of an open beta is to gauge the servers capabilities and failure points. Now it would be possible to add a system to boot people after extended periods of inactivity but this would defeat the point of testing the servers. To due a meaningfully test you must as closely as possible replicate the expected after launch conditions and one of them is going to be people on the server doing nothing. If they were to be booted you would not be able to prepare for them accordingly. Please understand that this is open beta and this is the kind of thing you want to happen so that you can fix them now instead of after launch. The people who complain about players hanging on the server just was to log on and play they due not grasp that the point of open beta is not just about testing for bugs and giving people a chance to preview the game. Its major function is to test the servers.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    yes but the code was from scratch. Cryptic even said so in an interview.