test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Win a Lifetime Subscription to Star Trek Online! (Aug 5, 2008)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    ok i play guild wars, and i know quebec is always ommitted from giveaways and it has something to do with quebec law on giveaways. i think to get something in quebec you have to answer a math question or something like that, you can't just get it for free.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh yeah! It's all about the laws... Oh! Yeah... that one. Hehe!! The math!!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm in. This is a sweet move by Cryptic. I loved City of Heroes, and I hope they do just as well with this.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ok i play guild wars, and i know quebec is always ommitted from giveaways and it has something to do with quebec law on giveaways. i think to get something in quebec you have to answer a math question or something like that, you can't just get it for free.
    Oh! Yeah. Guild Wars. I have that too. Free to play on-line. But, I stopped playing it because of lack of unity and team playing. Everyone is doing their little own business & we're left alone. Or they are mean people rude.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    loveing what i have seen so far
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    anet is destroying GW so devs of STO if you read these things please use Guild wars as example ofhow not to run a game
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Greetings Star-Trek fans!

I am from Germany but i played all my MMORPGs (Everquest, Everquest 2, Vanguard) in English because ... well for me its like the only way to play an MMORPG; and playing international together is waaaaay more fun and should be more done then building international conflicts and prejudices :) ( bowing before Spok :D )

Due to this my question is if i am allowed to sign up for the lottery or if i will have to wait and hope if there will also be one in Europe (e.g. United Kingdom) ? Or is there one planned at all ?

Again greetings and thanks !
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    the sweepstake prize is only open to US residents but there is an option to click if there was a similar offer to a region of your choice eg UK and they will inform you
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This has been touched on before but to re-iterate.

They are not able to offer a contest outside of North America, its not that they don't want to; it's that they cannot. At least not with a whole lot of redtape to deal with. Essentially it comes down to international trading laws and duties, in North America we have the "Free Trade Agreement" which bypasses many of these types of laws.

I'm obviously not a part of Cryptic in anyway shape or form, but I believe I can safely say that all subscription plans will be available worldwide. It would just be silly not to "Make It So".
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    dinozzo wrote: »
    the sweepstake prize is only open to US residents but there is an option to click if there was a similar offer to a region of your choice eg UK and they will inform you

Hehe, like that will ever happen.. :(
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Eventually you may have the chance to get lifetime subscription through a contest in europe or else, and eventually you WILL be able to buy it from anywhere
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I always find it unfair how these competitions always favor US citizens, but unfortunately life is unfair, and we'll just have to deal with it. They might closer to release have a similar competition, but I some how doubt it.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    First, If there was a way to make the sweepstakes eligible worldwide, I'm sure Cryptic would do it, thats more registered people and numbers they can tout.'

Secondly, I love how people are saying "theres absolutely no reason that the give away is illegal in my country". Oh yea Mr. J.D.? Explain that to me. If your a lawyer, say so, and quote the law that refers to sweepstakes. Most of you are people who are just talking nonsense. There IS a law that institutes certain barriers between countries. Thats why countries and nations sign FREE TRADE AGREEMENTS and have trade tariffs and restrictions.

Finally, this is not a rant against my overseas brothers. I would wish for you what has been given to us, but don't blame Cryptic (or any other American company) for what is out of their hands. I'm sure if there was an easy way to get everyone a chance at this, they would have explored that. Don't turn these boards into a whine fest already.

Good luck to Cryptic in it's endeavors, and lets hope for an AWESOME game, because that's what's important. Agreed?
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Croshy wrote: »
    Greetings Star-Trek fans!

I am from Germany but i played all my MMORPGs (Everquest, Everquest 2, Vanguard) in English because ... well for me its like the only way to play an MMORPG; and playing international together is waaaaay more fun and should be more done then building international conflicts and prejudices :) ( bowing before Spok :D )

Due to this my question is if i am allowed to sign up for the lottery or if i will have to wait and hope if there will also be one in Europe (e.g. United Kingdom) ? Or is there one planned at all ?

Again greetings and thanks !

Wie Geht's Croshy !!!

Welcome, I hope this game is popular in Germany as other Star Trek Games have been, and I would think it was great to see you in-game.
    I hope they set this up to be Internationally friendly, it was great finding out how many serious fans there are in the world.

Regarding the Contest :mad: Nice people like you don't win anyway. It will probably won by some kid at the library who likes to sign up for free stuff
    LOL
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This is something we euro's are going to have to live with. MMO's in the west are always USA centered. Age of Conan was developed by the Norwegian company Funcom but the PSP they use is from the USA and dosn't accept many EU payment methods. The customer suppoer team is from the USA and is always asleep when the EU players are at there peak (this has been somewhat rectified by taking on some 3rd party company from Swedn). The whole USA centered approach to MMO's is disgusting but inevitable.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well you might be right, gilligen :)

However, i am looking forward to see you all in the game one day, and even if i will have to urge my canadian friend to subscribe it for me ... and hey, normally you do not have a prioblem if you have a credit card i guess.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    My fellow trekkers,

I need some sort of outlet for my complete and utter outrage at star trek online for restricting the sweepstakes to the United States and Canada. As a resident of the United Kingdom I am completely appaled by this behaivour as I feel I should have just as much chance to win as anyone else due to the fact I am just as obsessed with star trek as any other man. I would like a reply from someone detailing why the rest of the world should be left out.

Thank You,

Mr Spock
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    anet is destroying GW so devs of STO if you read these things please use Guild wars as example ofhow not to run a game

What do you mean though as they don't have subscription fee?I like it that way it is more casual.
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I had three (3!) accounts in Guild Wars and put well over 3,500 hours into this game.

How are they ruining the game? I thought they did one of the best jobs in an MMO game. Even though it's heavily focused on PvP (which I love).
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Djin wrote: »
    I had three (3!) accounts in Guild Wars and put well over 3,500 hours into this game.

How are they ruining the game? I thought they did one of the best jobs in an MMO game. Even though it's heavily focused on PvP (which I love).

i say you had 3 accounts, do you still play? but you are a pvper so the changes don't hurt you too much but pve is falling apart.

What do you mean though as they don't have subscription fee?I like it that way it is more casual.

i don't mean the free to play that gw has is bad i just mean how they actually run the game with the monthly updates iswhat is ruining it.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    i say you had 3 accounts, do you still play? but you are a pvper so the changes don't hurt you too much but pve is falling apart.

i don't mean the free to play that gw has is bad i just mean how they actually run the game with the monthly updates iswhat is ruining it.

It might of been more "casual", but with no steady income, the companies can't really make many things for "free".

I did all the PvE, beat the whole game with every class, had Vabian armor on my my characters, did PvP, did the game so much I burnt myself out... I use to play, but I got too addicted and had to quit.

After I quit playing MMORPGs, I lost 65lbs... lol. Go figure. If you don't update the game, then that will ruin it too. I know it's been named "Nerf Wars" because all the changes... but you'll have to expect that. Once one thing changes, someone finds an exploit of that new change, then they have to rechange it, it the cycle never ends.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It would help if you had made it clear it is only available to North America before we sign up.

Now I have to put the Spam filter on receiving mails from you.

Is it SO hard to let anyone other than your own kind in on a little competiton?
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well good luck to all. Hope the time will come to Europe conuntries too :)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I would asume if any one could just register to the forums from anywere in the world and they clearly stated just register before the deadline its safe to say this is open to all not just US :D
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This is a great idea
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    what stops people from jsut making multiple accounts to increase their chances?
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    For some strange, strange reason I actually read the terms and wow, talk about fine print. Luckily I'm eligible :). If I don't win can I just pay the 550 dollars and get a lifetime subscription? It seems like a rather...low cost for a 40-70 year membership. And what with advances in medical technology, I could live to be 150. Give or take.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    why multiplay accounts ? 1 is boring. More so you can beat 1 player ? lammer. :confused:
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Sorry for telling my opinion about this.

But i think it's rather a bad idea.
    I have already experienced one of these things, and believe me.
    The people who lost the lottery, really gone mad and began to swear around.
    Spam the forums, and that kind of stuff.

I didn't won myself, because it was some weird riddle i couldn't solve.
    It annoyed me, i admit.
    But i did not gone mad.

I hope it doesn't work like this here, it would be of a shame :(
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Here's to all of you on winning the sweeps!
    Shamus
This discussion has been closed.