test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Win a Lifetime Subscription to Star Trek Online! (Aug 5, 2008)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    This is a dream I hope will come true.. I would play this all day... I have played many MMO's.. but I have never found one with A Love for the subject at hand ... Like Star Trek

Good luck to all... but I hope I am a winner
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Way to make the rest of the word feel wanted. Is this game for North America only? Do the people behind the game not care about us?

I'm sure UK law does not restrict this contest to it's Citizens.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hopefully they will give the winner the choice to choose which version they want of the game, like the computer or console versions, being that they announced that it will be coming to the consoles. XBOX 360 PLEASE!!!!!! My computer is too old to play it and I don't have the money to buy new parts!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    curtst wrote: »
    Worked for me. Don't know why I bother, I never win these things lol. It would make my wife happy if I did. She doesn't want me to get it because of the month fee lol.

My wife isn't a gamer nor does she know how these things work so as long as I am paying the monthly fee out of my individual checking account we're good.

I have been waiting for this since MMORPGs began. I'm very excited!

Has there been or will there be a beta event for people to sign up for? Being a QA tester by trade I'd love to play this and be able to submit defects and/or suggest improvements to make this release super smooth and fun.

Qapla' !!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Why are these type of contest always for us and canada residents only. When will companies learn there is a player base outside of the US and Canada. Like for Example Europe =/.

im fairly sure that the European union and its residents, UK, NL etc have rules regarding contest but none of these rules remove the option of contests like these. So start setting one up for us aswell, unless you want to make us feel pretty unwelcome.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Razor wrote:
    To celebrate the launch of our new community for Star Trek® Online, Cryptic Studios will give five (5!!) lucky winners lifetime subscriptions to STO!

To enter, all you have to do is register as a member of the Star Trek Online community by 11:59 p.m. PDT on August 17, 2008, and click the sweepstakes link. The winners will be chosen at random on or about August 25, 2008, and will be notified by e-mail and/or overnight mail on or about August 28.

Five Winners Will Receive:

* Retail copy of Star Trek Online
    * Lifetime subscription to Star Trek Online

Total estimated retail value: $550.00 (US)

Enter the sweepstakes!

I clicked and signed up but got no confirmation that it was successful, nor an e-mail notifying me of success. Was I supposed to get an e-mail, or some "congratulations for signing up" page or something? Some means of verifying our status would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I also agree with this...I hit the submit to sweepstakes and I'm redirected to the home page. Without any confirmation, I don't know if it worked or not. But if I try again, and have multiple entries, you get disqualified...maybe you could send an e-mail to everyone who is signed up so far, or something so we know? Thanks!!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I hope that Cryptic will include Europe in some special draw aswell. Im not mad, its the way that it is. USA, then everyone else.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm just suprised the residents of RI are allowed...I wonder if they finally changed their rules or something.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Elvyne wrote: »
    im fairly sure that the European union and its residents, UK, NL etc have rules regarding contest but none of these rules remove the option of contests like these. So start setting one up for us aswell, unless you want to make us feel pretty unwelcome.

Actually, COH recently ran a couple of contests to win PCs, but they were only open to UK residents (despite us all being one happy family in the EU)

So yeah, I can see the point (despite my flaming reaction last night) of the US/Canada only). Still think they should have arranged it in multiple territories first.

I suppose it depends on how they're going to publish it in territories other than the US too. After all, Cryptic can guarantee a lifetime sub in the US since the're publishing it, but they might not be elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Actually, COH recently ran a couple of contests to win PCs, but they were only open to UK residents (despite us all being one happy family in the EU)

So yeah, I can see the point (despite my flaming reaction last night) of the US/Canada only). Still think they should have arranged it in multiple territories first.

I suppose it depends on how they're going to publish it in territories other than the US too. After all, Cryptic can guarantee a lifetime sub in the US since the're publishing it, but they might not be elsewhere.

Oh man, I'd love a lifetime membership, but I'm UK. :(
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    As often as I usually don't win sweepstakes like these (I swear I must have some bad mojo or something), I couldn't pass this up. A lifetime subscription? Warp speed, Mr. Sulu.

I wonder if they'll be offering that as a subscription option once the game goes live. (apologies if this has already been discussed and/or answered in another thread)
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I really want to win this. A lifetime subscription to STO? Thats intense. Warp Nine Mr. Paris...Engage
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Despite the fact that each country in europe has its own set of rules, they hardly really differ enough to make contests impossible within european countries. But appearently companies tend to think that once its done in the US and UK, the rest of the left out countries wont mind anymore. Then again, most europeans are customed to being shafted by companies in there releases and contests, specially mmo companies.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This is the best idea EVER! Ive been a fan since it all started. I even did a hammy video at the universal studios where you do a star trek skit.

Best of luck to you all!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    wow that would be nice prize =)

not better way to get a loyal following then to give the chance of winning a juicy bribe XD XD i approve
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You(Cryptic) could at least have said that the contest is for U.S only before people register. Now it seems like a cheap trick to get people to register on the site.

Very dissappointed to read it after I had to fill in all the stuff. It isn't that hard to type one sentence: Contest for U.S. Residents only.

And no, I would have seen no reason to register on the site before the game would be out or if I had seen some real new content.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I2. ELIGIBILITY: Sweepstakes is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and Washington, D.C. (specifically excluding Puerto Rico and other US territories and possessions) or Canada (excluding Quebec) who have reached the age of majority in their state/province of residence at time of entry and who have internet access as of the Start Date.
    well that rules me out! :( Don't suppose theres gonna be any EU contests will there?
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    VMaxx wrote: »
    I clicked and signed up but got no confirmation that it was successful, nor an e-mail notifying me of success. Was I supposed to get an e-mail, or some "congratulations for signing up" page or something? Some means of verifying our status would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!

Once you have entered the sweepstakes there will be a confirmation message displayed near the top of the home page that says "Thank you for your submission!" on a blue bar.

If you are unsure as to whether you have successfully entered or not, try to enter again. You will get a message displayed near the top of the home page that says "You have already entered the sweepstakes." on a red bar if your submission went through the first time.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Too bad, as this confirms that the game will have a subscription. But nevertheless, a game of this magnitude should have one.
    Hope I win!!

@Euros: Sorry for your shafting again, but srlsy think it's time to not expect that you can compete....just saying that QQing has happened each time a contest has left them out.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You(Cryptic) could at least have said that the contest is for U.S only before people register. Now it seems like a cheap trick to get people to register on the site.

Very dissappointed to read it after I had to fill in all the stuff. It isn't that hard to type one sentence: Contest for U.S. Residents only.

And no, I would have seen no reason to register on the site before the game would be out or if I had seen some real new content.

Of course this is a cheap trick to get more registrations on the forum. It's so they can later turn around and say they had x number of people register before the game was even in beta. One thing you can guarantee in the MMOG industry is that every studio - whether it's Cryptic, NC Soft, Turbine, SOE, et al. - uses unscurpulous and disshonest tactics to fiddle their numbers and make themselves seem better than they are. This isn't a rant or insult against those companies, it's just a fact.

On-topic: I'm -very- disappointed by the restrictions on this contest. I can order games from Amazon US and get them shipped to the UK, so why should this contest be any different? And since the lifetime sub is an electronic prize it's unaffected by postage, export/import duties, and other hurdles which physical products face.

There's no excuse, legal or otherwise, other than laziness for excluding certain overseas territories. Notice this contest also doesn't include overseas troops whose bases are considered US soil?

I like Cryptic, and I'm looking forward to both STO and Champions. But when I see American companies making lame excuses as to why they simply can't be bothered to include certain territories in a competition, it just majorly ****es me off. MMOGs are supposed to be about bringing people from around the world together, yet studios do everything they can to segregate populations (separate servers for different countries, for example).
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    well i went and signed up fro the sweepstakes and acidently hit the second choice about notifying me if theres any sweepstakes somewhere else and chose the United states am i stillin sweepstakes sence it wont let me go back and fix my boo boo.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Tathar wrote:
    Of course this is a cheap trick to get more registrations on the forum. It's so they can later turn around and say they had x number of people register before the game was even in beta. One thing you can guarantee in the MMOG industry is that every studio - whether it's Cryptic, NC Soft, Turbine, SOE, et al. - uses unscurpulous and disshonest tactics to fiddle their numbers and make themselves seem better than they are. This isn't a rant or insult against those companies, it's just a fact.

On-topic: I'm -very- disappointed by the restrictions on this contest. I can order games from Amazon US and get them shipped to the UK, so why should this contest be any different? And since the lifetime sub is an electronic prize it's unaffected by postage, export/import duties, and other hurdles which physical products face.

There's no excuse, legal or otherwise, other than laziness for excluding certain overseas territories. Notice this contest also doesn't include overseas troops whose bases are considered US soil?

I like Cryptic, and I'm looking forward to both STO and Champions. But when I see American companies making lame excuses as to why they simply can't be bothered to include certain territories in a competition, it just majorly ****es me off. MMOGs are supposed to be about bringing people from around the world together, yet studios do everything they can to segregate populations (separate servers for different countries, for example).

As per usual the US residents get all the fun while the rest of the world gets the dirty end of the stick.

*Sigh* I guess I have just watched too much Star Trek where everyone is considered equal.
    LordDave wrote: »
    Does anyone mind if I cry due to these people not reading the whole thread where several people stated how the LAWS OF OTHER COUNTRIES prohibit such contests and that it's out of Cryptic's hands?

I can assure you good sir, at least where I live, there is no law against winning prizes.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    WEKS wrote: »
    *Sigh* I guess I just watched too much Star Trek where everyone is considered equal.

Yeah, indeed. Me too :(
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ignak wrote: »
    Yeah, indeed. Me too :(

Me three :(
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No worries, I'm sure we will see something equal in Europe. I hope they are not trying to cover Europe with 5 lifetime subs but 5 for Germany, 5 for our islanders where its cold and rainy all the time (I totally forgot the name... :P). France... ah well, givem five, too. ;)
    If for Europe as a whole 10 liftime subs would make me happy.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    amb wrote: »
    No worries, I'm sure we will see something equal in Europe. I hope they are not trying to cover Europe with 5 lifetime subs but 5 for Germany, 5 for our islanders where its cold and rainy all the time (I totally forgot the name... :P). France... ah well, givem five, too. ;)
    If for Europe as a whole 10 liftime subs would make me happy.

What about The Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Italy etc etc?

Oh let me guess, they are probably not important enough for the EU. Only Germany, France and the UK are :rolleyes:

Although I doubt they will held this kind of contest in The Netherlands, or in the EU at all.
    Of course this is a cheap trick to get more registrations on the forum. It's so they can later turn around and say they had x number of people register before the game was even in beta

Well they could have least been honest about it.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This would really help Leaders of Fleets (like me) because its one less thing to worry about.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Benjammn wrote: »
    @Euros: Sorry for your shafting again, but srlsy think it's time to not expect that you can compete....just saying that QQing has happened each time a contest has left them out.

So, each time a contest is given we should just sit by and watch the US once again get everything? Seriously, you guys need to pull your heads out of your asses and start to see that america isnt the only country in the world. Not everything is US this and That.

I am sorry but i can no longer agree to the nationality discrimination that companies do that are international when setting up contests like these.

Seeing how cryptic does answer here, I guess they need to know they own there european customer base an explenation on why this contest is US only and if Europe will ever get one.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm totally going to win this. :)
This discussion has been closed.