test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Nerf the Jellyfish console

13»

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 5,051 Arc User
    edited August 29
    No lets not nerf it because its not that overpowered at all. It takes a lot of work to make a good Jellyfish and its not cheap either. It requires some expensive consoles ect.... Don't be stupid ask for one thing to be nerfed while at the same time a 1000 other items are OP as well.

Who's saying it should be nerfed for being OP?

The main argument here is that it allows AFK'ing - in a very obnoxious way too.

One of the reasons it allows for this is due to the console being a 100% up-time damage dealer and self-healer at the same time over a huge area. The problem isn't necessarily that it does all these things though, the problem is that it allows AFK'ing. If it could be tweaked one way or the other so that it would still be powerful but didn't allow for AFK'ing, I'd be totally fine with that.

Removing the 100% up-time is one - and I think the best - solution to that, that I've seen so far. Its power would be unchanged, you'd just have to be around to activate it more than one time. Like with all other consoles *.

* The only exception I know of is the Ba'ul ship's console, but that one doesn't have the self-healing element that the Jellyfish has, so it's already different (that one is actually 'tactical', if one wants to reserve that nomer to one of these two things).
    edited August 29
    Flaming/trolling redacted. -- WingedHussar
    Post edited by wingedhussar#7584 on
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,219 Arc User
    No lets not nerf it because its not that overpowered at all. It takes a lot of work to make a good Jellyfish and its not cheap either. It requires some expensive consoles ect.... Don't be stupid ask for one thing to be nerfed while at the same time a 1000 other items are OP as well.

One of the reasons it allows for this is due to the console being a 100% up-time damage dealer and self-healer at the same time over a huge area. The problem isn't necessarily that it does all these things though, the problem is that it allows AFK'ing. If it could be tweaked one way or the other so that it would still be powerful but didn't allow for AFK'ing, I'd be totally fine with that.

Not a sound argument. I can afk in any ship depending on the map. Are the Jellyfish annoying? Yes they are but as long as they take part and do a part to finish the TFO I don't care what they fly or where they stand.

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.

Not a sound argument. I can afk in any ship depending on the map. Are the Jellyfish annoying? Yes they are but as long as they take part and do a part to finish the TFO I don't care what they fly or where they stand.

But can you also not get hit with a leaver penalty AND be assured of not getting blown up thanks to an auto-heal while doing that?

Cause I'd be seriously surprised if the answer to that question was 'yes'.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,219 Arc User

But can you also not get hit with a leaver penalty AND be assured of not getting blown up thanks to an auto-heal while doing that?

Yes and yes you only get a leaver penalty if you don't do any damage. And yeah I depending on the build I don't get blown up. I only play on Elite Difficulty. There is so many stuff what keeps you alive like the console from the Valdore and others. Like I said they maybe annoying but doesn't mean they don't do their part. Cure people park at the Kang to make sure the Kang doesn't blow up, Defense of Starbase 1 they place themselves that they either cover one side or the rest. I really don't see the problem here its not like there is alot of Jellyfish Players around at least not on Elite Difficulty.

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,132 Arc User

..its not like there is alot of Jellyfish Players around at least not on Elite Difficulty.

There's not a lot of jellyfish users on advanced difficulty either. Seems they're only good for one thing.. avoiding the AFK penalty on a handful of low effort maps.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,761 Community Moderator
    Ok, I see some sniping has started. Y'all can continue to debate this all you want, but the official word has come down that they aren't going to change the Jellyfish. So, there's that. Now, back to your regularly scheduled... venting.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,781 Arc User
    edited August 30

Chances of getting hit with the AFK penalty is low, true, but it is definitely not "assured" that a jellyfish will not get blown up if player is AFK and not popping heals. In fact, you can even get blown up early enough to get the penalty if you sit on your hands while the bubble is up when facing Mirror Borg, Tzenkethi, and a few others.

If you are in a TFO and a Cnidarian Defender goes to bubble mode, gets blown up, and doesn't come back then you have proof the person is AFK (or their connection dropped or whatever), but anything else is guesswork since many of the powers a tank/support player is likely to use get glared out by all the flashier VFX powers, unless they use some unmistakable console powers like the teleport.
  • dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    Just to put in my two cents, there are some TFOs where I genuinely welcome seeing a Jellyfish on my team. Iupiter Iratus, Peril Over Pahvo, Defense of Starbase One (and especially its Borg variant), basically any such with multiple fixed points that need to be defended. Cuts down on the frenetic back-and-forth.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • splattysplatty Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited August 30

* The only exception I know of is the Ba'ul ship's console, but that one doesn't have the self-healing element that the Jellyfish has, so it's already different (that one is actually 'tactical', if one wants to reserve that nomer to one of these two things).

You keep mentioning "self-healer" like its a big factor. Its actually a PoE heal that also affects five allies. The healing to self is quite trivial in my testing. 854 HP/s under sustained combat to be exact.

Any ship can AFK, so that's an irrelevant argument as well. You can turn on auto weapons and then auto target when hit, and boom, no leaver penalty for any ship in the game. Trying to claim its Jellyfish exclusive is stupid.

And then for Ba'ul, that's even worse, that does nothing for allies, locks down any movement and is even better for AFKer's.

The only valid thing so far is that the pink orb is unnecessarily obnoxious, but even that pales to most sci sfx spam builds.

Edit - for context, even something like Non-Linear Progression provides 581 HP/s.
    Post edited by splatty on
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,132 Arc User
    splatty wrote: »

Any ship can AFK, so that's an irrelevant argument as well. You can turn on auto weapons and then auto target when hit, and boom, no leaver penalty for any ship in the game. Trying to claim its Jellyfish exclusive is stupid.

I don't think another ship could afk in that particular way as there's isn't any way (on PC) to automate the rotation of bridge officer abilities. For example, you'd need a way to keep bfaw up, including means to increase it's uptime and reduce it's cooldown in order to match the effectiveness of the jelly field. That's multiple things that would usually require continual player input and attention.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,246 Arc User
    edited August 30
    protoneous wrote: »

I don't think another ship could afk in that particular way as there's isn't any way (on PC) to automate the rotation of bridge officer abilities. For example, you'd need a way to keep bfaw up, including means to increase it's uptime and reduce it's cooldown in order to match the effectiveness of the jelly field. That's multiple things that would usually require continual player input and attention.
    As long as auto hangar bay launch doesn't conk out. A Hot pursuit Minelayer Carrier build can do the same job and do it better then a Jellyfish. Self healing is done by x3 Nurse Doffs and x2 Disco set works on pretty much any ship and if required extra human bridge officers although that's not really needed.

My problem with the Jellyfish is more the players. Not all of them but most of them have no situational awareness and don't care. They just setup and never move with just a small enough damage so they don't get hit by the AFK penalty. Doesn't matter if you have an area covered and explain in chat you are going to cover Alpha section. They will pay no attention and setup in your spot.

I don't mind the Jellyfish players who do have situational awareness. Its the other ones giving the rest of them a bad name.

This morning I did a Iupiter Iratus run and was covering the Breach point. The Jellyfish ignored me setup in the middle and so the Jellyfish was not killing much or closing the portals. Effectivity just leaching of everyone else doing all the work.
    edited August 30
    Ok, I see some sniping has started. Y'all can continue to debate this all you want, but the official word has come down that they aren't going to change the Jellyfish. So, there's that. Now, back to your regularly scheduled... venting.

(Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)

Further discussion is pointless then since the case has basically been closed, so feel free to close the thread.
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,818 Arc User
    I have two very different jelly builds on two different characters. When I put it into jelly mode, I do sit there to activate powers but those powers help. The mechanics of the builds are very different and over all, it's just a different way to play the game. I could care less about the cookie cutter builds and $1,000+ elite DPS builds for any ship in the game that require 4 hours to sit there and buff them to get those insane DPS numbers. We need more diversity in how to play ships other than the generic beam, CSV, and torp platforms. If you don't like a ship. Plain and simple, don't play it! There are a lot of ships in the game for everyone to enjoy and that includes the jelly.
  • leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 5,433 Arc User
    edited August 30
    pottsey5g wrote: »

As long as auto hangar bay launch doesn't conk out. A Hot pursuit Minelayer Carrier build can do the same job and do it better then a Jellyfish. Self healing is done by x3 Nurse Doffs and x2 Disco set works on pretty much any ship and if required extra human bridge officers although that's not really needed.

My problem with the Jellyfish is more the players. Not all of them but most of them have no situational awareness and don't care. They just setup and never move with just a small enough damage so they don't get hit by the AFK penalty. Doesn't matter if you have an area covered and explain in chat you are going to cover Alpha section. They will pay no attention and setup in your spot.

I don't mind the Jellyfish players who do have situational awareness. Its the other ones giving the rest of them a bad name.

This morning I did a Iupiter Iratus run and was covering the Breach point. The Jellyfish ignored me setup in the middle and so the Jellyfish was not killing much or closing the portals. Effectivity just leaching of everyone else doing all the work.

Had the same twice earlier. They just plopped themselves on Alpha and threw the bubble; didn't even move the rest of the TFO.

Further discussion is pointless then since the case has basically been closed, so feel free to close the thread.

The reply is fine. Now just to get the Typhon console on infinite deployment; it is less instrusive, but looks way cooler than a big bubble and with 5 bays worth of fighters will outshine the Jellyfish on auto :lol:
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
    edited August 30
    leemwatson wrote: »
    pottsey5g wrote: »

Had the same twice earlier. They just plopped themselves on Alpha and threw the bubble; didn't even move the rest of the TFO.

The reply is fine. Now just to get the Typhon console on infinite deployment; it is less instrusive, but looks way cooler than a big bubble and with 5 bays worth of fighters will outshine the Jellyfish on auto :lol:

I hope you'll enjoy it. :)

I'm done replying here though, since I've decided to just stop caring. Like so many others before us.
    This place has been a graveyard for years anyway, so I'm just going to let it rest.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,761 Community Moderator
    By OP request /thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.