test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Playing on M3 MacBook Pro with Parallels

llorcanllorcan Member Posts: 12 Arc User
Hi All - I have been playing STO off and on since 2012, always on a Mac in bootcamp. I was bummed when it finally came time to upgrade my old intel MacBook Pro to one of the new M series and found bootcamp was no longer going to be an option. On the M1 the game was also unplayable in Parallels. If anyone else is in a similar circumstance, I am happy to report after upgrading to the MacBook Pro M3 Max with 48gb ram, the game runs excellent with full graphics turned on and nearly maxed out in Parallels. Bonus, with my STO lifetime subscription, I returned to find 30k worth of credit to spend!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,755 Arc User
    I don't have a Mac but fairly soon Win10 will go to a pay-for-security-updates model, and I will be switching back to Linux at that point (I went back to college about the time Win10 came out and I had to use Windows to run the required software from school and kept it on my machine since, mainly for gaming purposes). I suspect it will be a similar struggle to get games to run properly on Linux since Microsoft deliberately breaks X backward compatibility and other tricks to throw off efforts by other OS programmers to make X-based games runnable on their platforms.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,603 Arc User
    llorcan wrote: »
    Hi All - I have been playing STO off and on since 2012, always on a Mac in bootcamp. I was bummed when it finally came time to upgrade my old intel MacBook Pro to one of the new M series and found bootcamp was no longer going to be an option. On the M1 the game was also unplayable in Parallels. If anyone else is in a similar circumstance, I am happy to report after upgrading to the MacBook Pro M3 Max with 48gb ram, the game runs excellent with full graphics turned on and nearly maxed out in Parallels. Bonus, with my STO lifetime subscription, I returned to find 30k worth of credit to spend!

That's good news for Mac owners. There are some advantages to an older less demanding game engine :)

Also nice about the lifetime zen. We're getting close to the Black Friday and Xmas/New Years sales so you might want to hold off on spending much of it.

• llorcanllorcan Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    llorcan wrote: »

That's good news for Mac owners. There are some advantages to an older less demanding game engine :)

Also nice about the lifetime zen. We're getting close to the Black Friday and Xmas/New Years sales so you might want to hold off on spending much of it.

oooo - good advice , thanks!
  • splattysplatty Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    I tried it a while back when I borrowed a maxed out Mac Studio with the M1 Ultra and 128GB ram etc early last year and found load times were fine, framerate was fine, but frame pacing was not to flash with stutters on certain maps. That said, now MS is supporting ARM with their SnapDragon partnerships Win11 for ARM might be a bit less TRIBBLE as well. By that I mean performance wise, not the user experience of adverts on the start menu and spying etc.
This discussion has been closed.