test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Flyable Valkyrie Fighters

I know we have certain ships with flyable Valkyrie Fighter squadrons now. I understand that STO has steered away from
events based around small craft for lack of players. However, I do have a Delta Flyer that I love and would love to see a
pilotable ship I can equip with the Stealth Fighter Set. That flying box called the Peregrine is just plain ugly. I swear that
I would use those ships in ANY events or missions I could get into if I could acquire one. They look SO much better than
the Peregrine...it's just the difference of night and day. I for one would pay good money for one if they were available in
game. I might not be able to use it in as many scenarios as my capital ships, but not even having it available seems like
a huge loss.

Comments

• Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    Given the lack of small ship content I don't see it very likely Valkyries or the Kodai fighters will be made playable. Not impossible just very unlikely.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Given the lack of small ship content I don't see it very likely Valkyries or the Kodai fighters will be made playable. Not impossible just very unlikely.

This really, it's not a "we will never do this" but rather "there's currently not enough interest to justify the effort to make them", remember what in terms of production a small craft will probably take as long as an actual ship to make and no you can't just take the model for the hangar pets and use that it's nowhere close enough to needed level of detail
  • Options
    toddjohnson100toddjohnson100 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited March 27
    Excuse me. I was not indicating you could just copy a hangar pet to add a new ship in game.
    All I was indicating was that Cryptic evidently has access to the copyright already. Please
    don't accuse me of saying things based on assumptions.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,328 Community Moderator
    Hey, dude. Calm down. No one was accusing you of anything. Let's not get snippy in here. Thanks.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    while i would enjoy a new episode centered around small craft, like the vault, chances are i'd skip a fighter in favor of the Delta Flyer. the sci seat makes it more survivable, so that's what i fly
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I miss flying my main's Aeon timeshuttle.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    You're right about the sci seat giving you better shields. However, I was able to equip the Stealth Fighter set to a Peregrine and that battle cloak makes it quite survivable as well. Not to mention quad cannons and quantum warheads (part of that set) gives it awesome firepower. I just DO NOT like the look of those ships though. I would love to put that set on a Valkyrie. I believe it is also canon that the Valkyrie has, or can have, a cloaking device.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Excuse me. I was not indicating you could just copy a hangar pet to add a new ship in game.
    All I was indicating was that Cryptic evidently has access to the copyright already. Please
    don't accuse me of saying things based on assumptions.
    as Baddmoon said I wasn't accusing you personally of anything, but it's common response to "it's too much work" to say that they could just use the model from the pet.

That said personally I wish small craft would have only universal seats since you get max 2 so you could build them however you wish there.
  • Options
    You're right about the sci seat giving you better shields. However, I was able to equip the Stealth Fighter set to a Peregrine and that battle cloak makes it quite survivable as well. Not to mention quad cannons and quantum warheads (part of that set) gives it awesome firepower. I just DO NOT like the look of those ships though. I would love to put that set on a Valkyrie. I believe it is also canon that the Valkyrie has, or can have, a cloaking device.

Oh I got shenanigans with some of my small craft. Slap a Point Defense console on a shuttle the thing becomes a deleting machine! Operation Gamma becomes so easy with Point Defense. Getting swarmed? Point Defense! No more swarm. :D
    I might be able to turn my shuttle into a Scatter Pack with the Torpedo Point Defense, Quantum Torpedo Artillery, and Tricobalt Tear Launcher. >:)
    With all the consoles we have available the level of shenanigans is limited only by imagination and available ships.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    OMG !! Oh how I would have loved to have that one when I did Operation Gamma !! --Very annoying mission.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    Why was the Shuttle Fleet Alert event retired anyway?

It seemed rather popular at the time. And all those players who joined after the last iteration, have never participated in it and would surely like the new experience too?

To me it seems like it should be a cheap way of creating a new event. The content already exists, after all - they basically just need to flip the switch and turn it on again.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options

It seemed rather popular at the time. And all those players who joined after the last iteration, have never participated in it and would surely like the new experience too?

To me it seems like it should be a cheap way of creating a new event. The content already exists, after all - they basically just need to flip the switch and turn it on again.

They didn't retire it, they just never ran the shuttle event again. No real explanation that I recall.

I could try asking Kael if there are any plans to revive it. Honestly it was probably the only 20 man that reliably popped and its just so fun.
  • Options
    You know, I have never played that one...and it sounds like a lot of fun. It's just really disappointing to have shuttles in game with so little material for them. I know of Operation Gamma and that shuttle race in the Delta Quadrant. But just a few patrols or mini missions dedicated only to small craft would justify having so many of them in game. I don't want to lose them. I want a way to use them.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

They didn't retire it, they just never ran the shuttle event again. No real explanation that I recall.

I could try asking Kael if there are any plans to revive it. Honestly it was probably the only 20 man that reliably popped and its just so fun.

Yeah, that's what I meant by 'retired', didn't really know what word to use instead.

If you could ask him, that'd be great. It would be fun to play this again sometime. :)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    ussvinovia#1662 ussvinovia Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    I just miss posing in my Yacht...
  • Options
    oclosoclos Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2
    Yeah, I'd like that too. However, firstly: Don't call the Peregrine that. It's a nice looking fighter. I also had much fun with it in the past. And I will probably have again. I haven't used all my fighters and shuttles to do content and lately, after the bridges positive surprise, I'm rethinking it probably within the year(after I re-organize my fleets ships to better accomodate what I wanna see in game in respective eras. The Bridges availability motivated that, for the record).

Secondly: I'd like to see other shuttles and small craft too, like the ENT one, Phoenix and/or Delta Engine Prototypes. More futuristic ones as well(Cryptic/DECA designs). Can't remember off-hand; is the TOS one available(If it is I probably have it), if it isn't I want it, cause I try to keep shuttles close to the Era and Ships I'm roleplaying with each character.

Thrirdly: Will more shuttle bridges be included? At least one for each FED era and one per the other factions if they don't have one(I play Human/Fed characters 99% of the time but I imagine other players would want for them too). It kinda breaks the fun with only one for TOS, TNG, DIS and Beyond type of ships.

Having said these; Can we get "Scalable" content? That scales to easier opponents in space and maybe taken from the shuttles in game and/or to be added?(Or otherwise T1 versions of the larger ships) I imagine that would be far easier than to rewrite missions from the ground-up if that is a problem till the team can get larger under DECA to maybe facilitate that.
    Adm. Necheyev didn't own ANY Starfleet ships. Starfleet did. Also she didn't make one bolt, connect a single wire, gelpack or device, or otherwise helped on making them. I find it presumptuous she claimed it was HER ships. In fact saying as much would probably warranty a reprimand from any of her superiors in Federation and possibly not participating in said actions as other superior personnel do, would in our days(2409 onwards) result in herself facing the same fate as what she has threatened, in that same penal colony.
  • Options
    Wow, that was packed full of content. First off, what bridges "surprise" were you talking about? Secondly, I
    think that was an AWESOME idea about the "scalable" missions. You're right. They wouldn't have to create new
    content, just scale ships down to whatever is being flown in the mission. Capitol ships vs capitol ships and small
    craft vs small craft. If Cryptic could work that into things like patrols that would add a lot of desirable content.
    I like your train of thought.
  • Options
    ussvinovia#1662 ussvinovia Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    > @oclos said:
    > Yeah, I'd like that too. However, firstly: Don't call the Peregrine that. It's a nice looking fighter. I also had much fun with it in the past. And I will probably have again. I haven't used all my fighters and shuttles to do content and lately, after the bridges positive surprise, I'm rethinking it probably within the year(after I re-organize my fleets ships to better accomodate what I wanna see in game in respective eras. The Bridges availability motivated that, for the record).
    >
    > Secondly: I'd like to see other shuttles and small craft too, like the ENT one, Phoenix and/or Delta Engine Prototypes. More futuristic ones as well(Cryptic/DECA designs). Can't remember off-hand; is the TOS one available(If it is I probably have it), if it isn't I want it, cause I try to keep shuttles close to the Era and Ships I'm roleplaying with each character.
    >
    > Thrirdly: Will more shuttle bridges be included? At least one for each FED era and one per the other factions if they don't have one(I play Human/Fed characters 99% of the time but I imagine other players would want for them too). It kinda breaks the fun with only one for TOS, TNG, DIS and Beyond type of ships.
    >
    > Having said these; Can we get "Scalable" content? That scales to easier opponents in space and maybe taken from the shuttles in game and/or to be added?(Or otherwise T1 versions of the larger ships) I imagine that would be far easier than to rewrite missions from the ground-up if that is a problem till the team can get larger under DECA to maybe facilitate that.

Amen brother, much love for the old birds.
  • Options
    Technically speaking content already scales based on player level. That's why when you go back to replay the first mission all enemies match your level.

Far as I know the only arc that has problems with level scaling is the unique TOS arc for TOS Captains. In my experience, though it has been a while since I tried, space doesn't scale properly and puts you back down to first run level while enemies tend to be max level (still doable with a T6 but rough as hell), but ground tends to level scale just fine.
  • Options
    edited April 2
    I think what oclos was referring to by "scalable" was possibly making missions or patrols doable with small craft. Yes, they do scale according to your level, but only with capital ships. If they could make some of them scale according to what type of craft is flown (captial or shuttle), it could create plenty of small craft content. I do realize most missions would be difficult to amend in this fashion, but things like patrols shouldn't be too hard to tweak. I thought it was a great idea and definitely food for thought.
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Lord, 20 shuttles with TPDS and the quantum launcher... I would hate being on the other side of that.. especially if there was also TS1 Maelstroms mixed in
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    nixie50 wrote: »
    Lord, 20 shuttles with TPDS and the quantum launcher... I would hate being on the other side of that.. especially if there was also TS1 Maelstroms mixed in

And since most shuttles have 3 console slots... throw in Tricobalt Tear Launcher? >:)
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    and I thought a couple wings of elite scorpions all shooting high yields was scary
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    and I thought a couple wings of elite scorpions all shooting high yields was scary

Personally I find wings of Elite Valkyries going Torp Spread 3 while augmented by SAD granted Scatter Volley pretty scary... for the enemy! :D>:)B)