deleted

x10110100x10110100 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
nt.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,653 Arc User
    edited January 9
    Universal would just be more DPS powercreep. Though the average player probably needs 15 traits to even struggle through an Elite, selling those trait slots to higher end players is just going to make the content they already breeze through even duller, and lead to ever more AFKing of lower end players that were actually trying in TFOs.

Defensive I could get behind, if it weren't for Starship Traits that do both. Where do you put things like History Will Remember that give both Defensive hull buff and Offensive damage, on top of threat enhancement (if in Threatening Stance). On the higher end I'd expect the extra Defensive traits to reduce, if not eliminate, the need for tanks, invalidating that playstyle for people.

This is coming from a mid-range player, and while I could use at least the defensive traits if I wanted to move into Elite, and my DPS is on the lower side for timed Elites like ISE, I think there are issues with plopping in five to ten new spots for traits. On the lower end of the scale, how are newer F2P or light spenders supposed to fill that many slots? There's not that many Starship Traits given out in missions and for Crafting, and while Defensive Traits in lockboxes typically go for low-ish EC now, after this would be implemented they'd surge in price. That just leaves Event ships (while a few per year, newbies won't have many, and the Traits can be hit or miss), $30 C-Store ships, even more expensive Legendary packs, and >$200 on average box ships... Not particularly F2P friendly.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,181 Community Moderator
    I too have to agree that this would not help anything, and make it harder for the average player.

Also this doesn't take into account that by default players have only 4 Trait slots. The 5th is from a Fleet Holding. And then we can have up to 2 extra from an X2 upgraded ship.

Having Random Elite TFOs is something many of the higher end players who ARE Elite ready have been asking for. The rest of us are most likely content with our Advance queues and are hopeful that it means less likely to see Uber DPSers in an Advanced run.

BTW I'm also one of those players content with Advanced. My main MIGHT be able to do Elite, but is probably on the low end of that. Even I panic when I see certain ships in TFOs because they're known DPS monsters that make everything divide by 0 on Advanced. *glares at Vaadwaur Juggernaut*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,886 Arc User
    Yeah it really doesn't matter. you give 10 players the exact same build and exact same captain and traits.. everything identical and you are going to get 10 wildly different DPS averages. from knowledge of the map to knowing when to light off certain abilities, to just being able to keep your nose on target.
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,625 Arc User
    edited January 9
    I do not agree with you OP. Who made you the de-facto player representative of STO? Not all players play the way you do. Not everyone goes for DPS. I for one do not go for DPS, I can do normal and advanced (with some difficulty) but am not cut out for elite TFOs in the foreseeable future. As others have said, there are players who are ready for elite random TFO queues. That is why this feature was requested.

I do not agree with the division of starship traits into offense, defense, and universal. It is better to just learn what starship traits do offense or defense and which ones are hybrids. How do you know that no one uses all these defensive traits?

This would not be minimal work. Be very careful when you say that especially with STO's code.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,552 Arc User
    My opinion: This is power creep and is not really needed. More traits = more power whether they are offense or defense. Defensive traits can allow for example placing offensive universal consoles in engineering slots that before held a defensive console.

I also doubt that it's quick and easy to rework the UI, database, code to split traits into 3 groups.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,541 Arc User
    Selling Starship Mastery traits directly to players means everyone will buy the same five or six, or recommend using the same five or six, or insult anyone not using the same five or six. What happens after everyone buys these same five or six?

A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,487 Community Moderator
    Well, since the OP has deleted his own post, I guess we can /thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.