Ten Forward Weekly 12/5/23

2»

Comments

• Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited December 2023
    jonsills wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Personally It's a shame that most the lower stakes stuff would be coming from KDF Territory and not Federation Space, it's not like the Federation can have another Maquis scenario, unless Starfleet Officers were truly incompetent at their jobs.

Hirogen harassing the Romulan Republic, fallout from stuff in Gamma Quadrant, stuff in Delta Quadrant, whatever remains of the True Way in Alpha Quadrant...
    Come to think of it, we didn't really put a stop to the True Way, we just disrupted their connection to the Mirror Universe. Unsure if Cardassia is a Federation member at this point of STO's story or just an associate, but if associated it could make for some interesting lower-stakes missions if the TW is causing trouble with the Cardassian Union and they ask for help from the new Alliance in settling things down. (And yes, that could tie into an upcoming Big Bad later - anything but the Borg, they don't usually look for allies.)

According to STO's Lore Cardassia Prime and it's Government is a Federation Protectorate, they're technically not part of the Federation but they're under The Federation's Protection, it's like weird grey area since they basically gave up their Rights to bear arms/ships as well as their Rights to rule their own Planet to the UFP, The Deal The Federation gave the Cardassians is something you'd expect from Terrans.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,022 Community Moderator
    According to STO's Lore Cardassia Prime and it's Government is a Federation Protectorate, they're technically not part of the Federation but they're under The Federation's Protection, it's like weird grey area since they basically gave up their Rights to bear arms/ships as well as their Rights to rule their own Planet to the UFP, The Deal The Federation gave the Cardassians is something you'd expect from Terrans.

I'd say its more comparable to post WW2 Japan. They are allowed to field a Self Defense Force, hence the ships we see in game, but overall they have to rely on the Federation for anything beyond that.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    Hmm. So they're ripe for True Way terroris-- I mean dissidents to attack, which would call in Alliance retaliation and eventually uncover who's behind their new ships and power levels. (Fifty quatloos it's T'ket.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User
    I'd say we should probably keep any suggestions fairly vague as to not accidentally close any doors for Cryptic
  • Options
    spiritborn wrote: »
    I'd say we should probably keep any suggestions fairly vague as to not accidentally close any doors for Cryptic
    One Idea that will never happen due to Legal Issues is Shatner Kirk invading STO with an army of Kzinti, might as well close the door forever.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    I believe the Star Trek fanbase would have unrealistically high expectations of any content that included Kirk.
    I'm of the opinion that STO is better to avoid bringing Kirk, or even Picard, to the game. (I know that's going to disappoint folks...)

Well at least we got Spock and he's like 10 times better than Kirk, the people who want Kirk are probably expecting the Shatner version, however Seeing as STO and Shatner aren't really on good terms and that means he's not an Opinion, Some People might like the Pine version but there's a chunk of the fan base that would complain because he's from the Kelvin Timeline, Then you have Wesley Kirk, honestly would popular among the fanbase but a small chunk might not like it because SNW is technically still DSC content as it is a Spinoff series of Discovery, honestly Best Options are to either do a crossover with all Kirks involving temporal stuff or Clone Kirk with the dead body, Picard reintroduced and artificially merge all 3 versions (basically just combine all the facial features of the Kirk actors) into a single version and call him STO Kirk, maybe have a STO employee voice him to save money.

money aside, how awesome would a three kirk episode be, A la the Three/Four/five doctors?
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I believe the Star Trek fanbase would have unrealistically high expectations of any content that included Kirk.
    I'm of the opinion that STO is better to avoid bringing Kirk, or even Picard, to the game. (I know that's going to disappoint folks...)

Well at least we got Spock and he's like 10 times better than Kirk, the people who want Kirk are probably expecting the Shatner version, however Seeing as STO and Shatner aren't really on good terms and that means he's not an Opinion, Some People might like the Pine version but there's a chunk of the fan base that would complain because he's from the Kelvin Timeline, Then you have Wesley Kirk, honestly would popular among the fanbase but a small chunk might not like it because SNW is technically still DSC content as it is a Spinoff series of Discovery, honestly Best Options are to either do a crossover with all Kirks involving temporal stuff or Clone Kirk with the dead body, Picard reintroduced and artificially merge all 3 versions (basically just combine all the facial features of the Kirk actors) into a single version and call him STO Kirk, maybe have a STO employee voice him to save money.

money aside, how awesome would a three kirk episode be, A la the Three/Four/five doctors?

It'll probably be good, I mean "Day of the Doctor" is still the best Doctor Who anniversary special to date, nothing else came remotely close to it, no even the 60th anniversary one that lazily copied and pasted the Metacrisis bit came remotely close to the 50th one, like now we have 2 David Tentants running around in the background of the Whoverse.
This discussion has been closed.