test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

‘Star Trek: Section 31’ Movie Reportedly Prepping For Production

fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,814 Arc User
"There is a new industry report indicating the Star Trek: Section 31 movie is prepping for production. The Paramount+ streaming event will star Academy Award winner Michelle Yeoh reprising her Star Trek: Discovery role as former Emperor (turned Section 31 operative) Philippa Georgiou."

https://trekmovie.com/2023/11/16/star-trek-section-31-movie-reportedly-prepping-for-production/
[4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.

Comments

• Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,814 Arc User
    edited November 2023
    Somehow I feel this might as well be called Star Trek Into Darkness II.

I'd rather see a movie with the ENT or VOY casts.

Instead they're going to build a movie around an organisation that's not supposed to be the main focus of the shows and movies? And if it will include any familiar characters, they're likely to have been around for only one season (like Tyler) when the related series was still trying to figure out what to do (before deciding that going to the distant future was the best thing to do).

It sounds a lot like they're going to make the same mistake they made when they decided to have DIS take place before TOS, instead of after Nemesis.

1. Take something from Trek you can vaguely reference as fan service (S31, Khan in ST:ID, Spock in DIS season 1)
    2. Proceed to change a lot of things because you want some artistic freedom - thereby creating something that's only slightly related to the time period and franchise you're using to base your story off.
    3. Until you find yourself restricted by established canon and a lot of unexplained factors (like why we never heard of spore drive, to name just one thing), eventually, because I'm sure they won't miss opportunities to write themselves in the corner again this time.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    I'm looking forward to seeing when they place this story? We know it has to be far enough back from the 32nd century to eliminate the physical risks of being too far from her quantum time and dimension. Having passed the test established by the Guardian of Forever, Georgiou entered the Guardian's portal to be transported to a time in which the prime universe and the mirror universe were still aligned. (DIS: "Terra Firma, Part 2").

Which doesn't necessarily need to be 2258 - the year she left with Discovery's crew. If she was within the Enterprise period she would leave a note for her future self to find after Section 31 recruits her the first time. I'm thinking TMP-TUC might prove interesting. I actually can see Philippa still holding a grudge against the Klingon Empire. Enough to manipulate Admiral Cartwright. I could also totally see Colonel West being an operative that Philippa assigned as an assassin. Some recasting of those characters might be in order. To tell that story.

Would the Lost Years during the adventures of the Enterprise-C and the original Stargazer be far enough back for Philippa to continue existing unimpeded? That would get us something somewhat original.

I could totally see Philippa having infiltrated the Zhat Vash during the 2380's. Either by herself or through another Section 31 agent. But she wouldn't fail to protect Starfleet Security from infiltration by Commodore Oh. As diabolical as Philippa is capable of being, I just don't see her having any awareness of the Synth attack on Mars and simply letting it happen to protect Federation interests. So something would have to prevent her intervention.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,541 Arc User
    Most likely it will be 2258 so they can save a little money by using existing sets and props instead of it being in a gap like the the "lost years".

While they might be able to save money in Picard's time using PIC sets and props that seems less likely since they kept hinting that she takes over the organization during the chaos following the heroes chopping the head off it at the end of DSC S2 to clear the way for Discovery's escape.