test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Terrible behaviour in the Dyson Battlezone

veeger#9876 veeger Member Posts: 52 Arc User
Since I came back to the game I discovered that the bio-engineer bosses at the end phase of the Dyson sphere ground battlezone can be killed in a few seconds by tactical captains using the V'ger probes + Ambush (and a couple other pre-buffs). Gone are the days of trying to kill more than one boss before the timer runs out. But also gone are the days of most people stopping the voth from re-capping zones.

Today I experienced something new and I can't help but think this is not working as intended. I certainly hope the developers share my feelings. After hauling my derriere around the city and park capping and preventing the voth from recapping, the time came to finish the bio-engineers. I make it to the park boss location with only seconds to spare and the bio-engineer dies before he fully spawns in. He wasn't even fully visible before he was dead. A whirl of hurricanes and V'ger probes sat and hummed. Not only did I get no credit I was then ridiculed for my apparent failure by the dps god who thought it was funny depriving me and all the others who arrived in the next few seconds of any reward.

The V'ger probes seem to be the biggest issue which I find frustrating because without them I cannot compete for credit with those who do have them and there is no way to acquire them. But also I hate having to potentially deprive others of credit for that phase of the fight while DPSing my guts out just to get credit myself. And finally, it bugs me that one kit module could be that powerful against something that rewards so much.

I hope that ground builds are re-evaluated sometime because situations like this place quite a few players at a terrible disadvantage. If not in situations like TFOs can make others feel useless. I really love the art, sound and mini-games of theDyson battlezone but it just feels off now. Most people just camp the boss hoping to get a shot in, not really cooperating. And now we have people using their broken DPS disadvantage to harass everyone in the zone. This cannot be what was intended, right?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,807 Arc User
    Yes, there is a lot of powerful stuff nowadays (including, indeed, the V'Ger probes). It also doesn't help that most of it can either keep dealing damage on its own, meaning that one activation (sometimes even in advance) will have long lasting effects.

It's strange, if you think about it. Stuff like exothermic induction field was nerfed long ago, with the change that once an enemy moved out of the field, it would stop damaging said enemy. But things like V'Ger probes and a whole range of other abilities keep dealing damage to enemies over time and even seek out new ones on their own.

I miss the times when ground content was more about tactical thinking and good planning regarding when you use what. Instead of just spamming everything as soon as they're off cooldown.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,871 Arc User
    edited August 2023
    The devs are aware of the problems with the Dyson battlezone bosses (per interviews on Ten Forward weekly) and would like to address them. Problem: when that happens depends on having time free to do that. The dyson spheres are old content and thus lower priority than making new content that keeps folks engaged and logging into the game (optimism for what's next serving as a justification for grinding through content to while away the meantime). It's also not easy to calibrate the bosses so they aren't nuked by top end builds but also don't become utterly futile to tackle for lower powered builds. With STO's power scale as wide as it is, things dying too easily is generally taken as the preferable option as in most cases it doesn't hurt the lower-powered player experience to be carried as much as hard-locking them out of that content would. One of the exceptions though is here.

Hopefully in the near future this gets addressed (if you're off the Rex spawn the odds are low that you'll get any credit for the final wave when it triggers, which deeply punishes the players who trigger it). But it depends on what the small team that keeps STO going has the bandwidth for.

This also has been a problem since before V'Ger probes. They're very effective but the solution here is to revise the boss mechanics and spawning timing. Ex. buff rex health a bit, spawn more enemies (so if the boss is nuked there's still other things for players to shoot), set silo clearing to all enemies being killed (so the minions can give people credit in case of boss nuking), and add a 30 second to the final round's spawn so players can get where they need to be.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,988 Arc User
    A beam to location prompt so everyone gets the chance to spawn in.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,043 Community Moderator

Double edged sword due to internet load times.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • Options
      inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,033 Arc User
      Beam to Location could work if there was a delay before the final bosses spawned.

However, a better solution would be to reward those who participated across the zone and then fought the V-rex's but to drop only a few marks into the Inventory of the people that camp the spawn sites. Perhaps a harder solution to code, even though it's gives a fairer reward for the player effort involved.
      - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
    • Options
      cxeronockxcxeronockx Member Posts: 155 Arc User
      edited August 2023
      valoreah wrote: »

While this would be helpful and welcomed, it would not solve the underlying problem. Like so much other content, the V-Rexes in the Dyson Sphere have not kept up with power creep. Your average player now is quite substantially more powerful than they were when the Dyson sphere content was added to the game.

Transporting everyone to the boss location quickly does not solve the issue of those bosses being vaped near instantly due to power creep. Even being transported there instantly, chances are very high that you would be lucky to maybe get a single shot off before the V-Rex was defeated. It also does not prevent players from camping the silos.

Power creep is the problem that has to be addressed.

How many times has this topic been discussed in a thread? right, actually too much to be good.
      But because you are talking about power creeps, and I used to be against it and yes also against campers, which I am still against, I still want to respond.

On one of my accounts I have a character that is what you call a power creep in ground combat but doesn't use the V'Ger probes, I rarely use this character but if I do he can easily be a one on his own unlock complete zone (with sub zones) and then move to another zone to continue there. While less powerful players are just camping and thinking let him unlock the zones we will walk away with the grand prize. if the time comes when the final boss is about to appear and walk quickly to the assembly point i would follow you have no right to kill the v-rex because i am a power creep while i have unlocked more than an entire zone alone ? I do not think so.

That the balance is no longer correct in that battle zone is correct and ONLY doing it to someone because they are a power creep and may have played for it for years is also not fair. WHY NOT TREAT EVERYONE EQUALLY, Standard weapons only allowed with the v-rex / no special possibilities / every character with the v-rex is automatically converted to a standard character as it was just created. Then PAS everyone is equal and everyone has equal opportunities, but what will happen? A revolt will arise because all the possibilities that one has at that moment will be taken away.

Oh yes before I forget, I recently made a kdf that does use the V'Ger probes and doesn't reach the strength level of my other character, but destroys the v-rex much faster. So don't attack the power creep but attack the one who doesn't fix the balance.

translated with Google Translate

addition: The biggest problem is the campers who do or have not done anything and who take away the earnings of the others, SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE ON THAT.
    • Options
      protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,993 Arc User
      The problem isn't the bosses, it's the over the top dps. It's out of hand, much as it is in space. Rather than souping up existing content (which will put it beyond many players), they should be scaling back the ridiculous amount of damage (which seems to be largely the result of the billions of pets that can be summoned these days).

Consider giving Ambush a try. It's a craftable kit module that boosts damage.
    • Options
      cxeronockxcxeronockx Member Posts: 155 Arc User
      edited August 2023
      (Flaming, trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
      Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    • Options
      fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,807 Arc User
      The problem isn't the bosses, it's the over the top dps. It's out of hand, much as it is in space. Rather than souping up existing content (which will put it beyond many players), they should be scaling back the ridiculous amount of damage (which seems to be largely the result of the billions of pets that can be summoned these days).

I largely agree.

Although the camping by itself also has a lot to do with how the rewards are determined, there is also too much power creep.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw someone bring down the Rex in just two seconds or so. I think it was some power that dealt electrical damage, possibly from the Risa kit module, combined with - probably - some stuff to boost that.

Bosses shouldn't be killed in two seconds.
      [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    • Options
      nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,270 Arc User
      beam everyone to the command center and put a 90 second force field around the silos
      u7acy6aymfw7.gif
      We Need BERETS in the tailor
    • Options
      rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,043 Community Moderator
      nixie50 wrote: »
      beam everyone to the command center and put a 90 second force field around the silos

That wouldn't solve the problem. There are ways to move fast. Frosted Boots, Cat Charm, Tactical kit modules...
      It would just turn into a race to get there first to nuke it, and we'd be right back to square one.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • Options
      vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
      rattler2 wrote: »

That wouldn't solve the problem. There are ways to move fast. Frosted Boots, Cat Charm, Tactical kit modules...
      It would just turn into a race to get there first to nuke it, and we'd be right back to square one.

if you cannot get from the command center to the outskirts silo in 90 seconds there is something seriously wrong. the park might be a challenge to get there, but the city and the outskirts? an unbuffed run should be doable in 90 seconds
      Spock.jpg

• Options
      thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
      rattler2 wrote: »

if you cannot get from the command center to the outskirts silo in 90 seconds there is something seriously wrong. the park might be a challenge to get there, but the city and the outskirts? an unbuffed run should be doable in 90 seconds

It'll take longer but getting to the park rex is more or less a straight line from the transporter.
      2gdi5w4mrudm.png
      Typhoon Class please!
    • Options
      vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
      The issue is that the damage output it inappropriate. Even if everyone could be there instantly, if the boss is killed in 2 seconds, there's no fun being had.

good luck trying to stuff that genie back in the bottle, my friend. sure you can toughen the rexes up but then a new/casual player would need a LOT of help, which may not be available in a low population instance. I suppose they could scale the rex based on the average DPS of the players in the zone, but it would be too hard for the devs to consider
      Spock.jpg

• Options
      scorpwanna#3529 scorpwanna Member Posts: 227 Arc User
      Remember when ball lightening first came out? Later that year they were like "OH we're going to lower the damage output" never happened.
    • Options
      gunny338#2712 gunny338 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
      edited August 2023
      > @valoreah said:
      > "Taking away the earnings of others" is often repeated and inaccurate. You are getting better rewards for your efforts in capturing points in a zone. If you are completing each of Commander Arnold's missions in the ground battlezone, you are already earning more Dyson marks and dilithium than a camper defeating a V-Rex only. The rewards from Arnold's missions are in addition to the marks and dilithium you are rewarded for each capture point you helped take.
      >
      > As has been suggested before, adding a Cybernetic implant to the reward table for completing Arnold's missions would more than compensate for any missed opportunity in getting them as a drop from a V-Rex.
      >
      > The V-Rex bosses simply do not have sufficient health and/or resistances to last long enough for all players in a zone to have an opportunity to engage them. Players can easily solo them in a matter of seconds. That is due to power creep combined with content that was never designed for players with skills and equipment that far exceed what the content was designed for originally.

--------------------------
      True.. I've seen players run straight to bz and not stop by Mr. Arnold and que those mission. This may be why they are not gaining any rewards for bz.

I like to point out I do agree with v'ger being able to handle any combat when toggled. This is one reason why I won't toggle v'ger while in the company of another player as it's way to powerful, and secondly there no benefit to those who don't have this ground module equipped. I rather us just drag out the battle for XP etc then to aim for a quick kill. The same goes for endgame dino. Only time I really to use v'ger is when by chance I'm the only one running my area and the goal is to cap what I'm working on and move on from there in order to facilitate completion toward boss dinos arrival.
      "The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force of our lives.
      We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity"

Captain Jean Luc Picard
    This discussion has been closed.