test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Invalid ship name fixed?

shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
Has the invalid ship name bug ever been fixed yet? Just curious never seen anything in the patch notes
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,369 Arc User
    As of last night, when I finally got my Delta toon out of the Armory and completed the tutorial, I flew back to Sol aboard the USS Nebraska past the InvalidEntityName, the InvalidEntityName, and the InvalidEntityName, so unless there are three people even more sarcastic than I am in this game, probably not.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    Well... the bug seemed to have affected players who transferred from space map to space map, but it fixes itself if you load into a ground map. My guess is some of the people still running around with InvalidEntityName either haven't loaded into a ground map or are purposefully avoiding doing so.

Short, internet trolly version for lulz: They need to touch cyber grass to fix their ship name. B)
    Short, non trolly version: They need to load into a ground map.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Well... the bug seemed to have affected players who transferred from space map to space map, but it fixes itself if you load into a ground map. My guess is some of the people still running around with InvalidEntityName either haven't loaded into a ground map or are purposefully avoiding doing so.

Short, internet trolly version for lulz: They need to touch cyber grass to fix their ship name. B)
    I am, however, now tempted to name my ship the USS InvalidEntityName, just because.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User

Doesn't always work. Plenty of times, I've gone to my Bridge or Shuttle interior and come out and still see "InvalidEntityName".
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    Doesn't always work. Plenty of times, I've gone to my Bridge or Shuttle interior and come out and still see "InvalidEntityName".

Might have to try a social hub instead. And for added effect maybe try swapping ships. Best I can think of right now.
    jonsills wrote: »
    I am, however, now tempted to name my ship the USS InvalidEntityName, just because.

By any chance is the Captain's name Tovan Khev? :p
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,266 Arc User
    Social hubs seemed to work, I've not been to space maps since the bug was supposedly fixed so I can't say for sure if it'll work now. I didn't have to change ships either just spawning into ESD worked for me.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,608 Arc User

Might have to try a social hub instead. And for added effect maybe try swapping ships. Best I can think of right now.

now there is a worthy troll.. a captain and all bridge officers Tovan Khev, and all identical
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    edited April 2023

now there is a worthy troll.. a captain and all bridge officers Tovan Khev, and all identical
    They're not all identical - that was too much work for a joke almost nobody would ever see - and since sometimes you get female Romulan officers some of them are named Rinna Khev (and the Reman engineer is Rinna NotKhev), but that's the crew of the RRW Tovan Khev series of ships. (Tovan Khev XXXI is a Compiler-class.)

And no, Tovan only commands ships named after himself and his crew, as part of the gag. The captain of USS InvalidEntityName would probably be something like BadName1701 or something.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    They're not all identical - that was too much work for a joke almost nobody would ever see - and since sometimes you get female Romulan officers some of them are named Rinna Khev (and the Reman engineer is Rinna NotKhev), but that's the crew of the RRW Tovan Khev series of ships. (Tovan Khev XXXI is a Compiler-class.)

And no, Tovan only commands ships named after himself and his crew, as part of the gag. The captain of USS InvalidEntityName would probably be something like BadName1701 or something.

giphy.webp
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,805 Arc User
    Like others have said, I'm still seeing many of those ships.

Mine were fixed automatically however. I thought it was because I bought the L-Akira and thus had visited the shipyard, but on other toons all names had returned too.

I doubt that the remaining ones are doing it on purpose though. There's just too many of them for that. A few might think it's funny or whatever, but I'm guessing that most players would prefer to fly their own ship and have it display the name they actually gave it.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options

Who knows though, maybe the bug is causing them to see their actual ship name, but others might still be seeing the invalid thing?

I mean, it's kind of difficult for any one player to check their own ship as if they're another player viewing it.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    Ok, so I went to check this.

And it's actually happening indeed.

gtrodlags1oh.png
    5fe1s87pkc32.png

On both accounts, I'm seeing my own ship with its proper name. But when viewed as 'another player', I'm still seeing the invalid thing.

• Options
    ussvinovia#1662 ussvinovia Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Any news on this? It really ruins the immersion. I take my time thinking up cool ship names!
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Any news on this? It really ruins the immersion. I take my time thinking up cool ship names!

According to the Ten Forward thread, they have a fix ready.

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,266 Arc User

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here, they got a potential fix. Neither they or we know if this is the final fix needed or if we got another issue that needs fixing after this one. It's the joys of spagetti code you can never be 100% sure if something is fully fixed or if there another issue that's still causing the problem you're trying to fix.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User

This did not correct the issue for me. In response to this issue, I have renamed all of my ships Validated Entity.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,194 Arc User

Some players? LOL go to DS9 and you see whole fleets with that ship name.

C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • Options
    spiritborn wrote: »

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here, they got a potential fix. Neither they or we know if this is the final fix needed or if we got another issue that needs fixing after this one. It's the joys of spagetti code you can never be 100% sure if something is fully fixed or if there another issue that's still causing the problem you're trying to fix.

Sure, it remains to be seen whether the issue will really be solved. Full certainty is a rarity, if it even exists at all.

But the transcript from TF said that
    Fix #3 for the invalidentityname bug is coming out soon
    - I think 'they have a fix ready' isn't too much a different way of saying that same thing.

This discussion has been closed.