test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Playing STO using Steam.

eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
Heads up guys Valve have announced that as of January 2024 Steam will no longer support games running through Windows 7, 8, 8.1 from January 2024, and has warned you may lose games from your steam library as of that date. As STO's specs state that the OS required is Windows 8 or 10 if you use 8 or 8.1 you may lose the ability to play.

Official announcement by Valve.

Valve announced that its Steam online game platform will officially drop support for the Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 platforms starting January 1st, 2024.

Comments

• Options
    timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Cannot blame them, with Microsoft themselves ending support of 8.1 on January 10, 2023.
    Leaving no technical support or any updates for that version itself.
    Valve themselves are being generous giving those users at least another 9 months I guess, but even then its still risky using unsupported software...
    Best advice to anyone is just simply upgrade your operating system to windows 11, especially if they are still running windows 7 after all this time.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    Cannot blame them, with Microsoft themselves ending support of 8.1 on January 10, 2023.
    Leaving no technical support or any updates for that version itself.
    Valve themselves are being generous giving those users at least another 9 months I guess, but even then its still risky using unsupported software...
    Best advice to anyone is just simply upgrade your operating system to windows 11, especially if they are still running windows 7 after all this time.

Most people running 7 or 8/8.1 cannot upgrade to 11 because the machines lack the particular TPM that Win11 requires. They can however upgrade to Win10 in most cases.
  • Options
    timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    Most people running 7 or 8/8.1 cannot upgrade to 11 because the machines lack the particular TPM that Win11 requires. They can however upgrade to Win10 in most cases.

I had meant to say 10, sorry was getting ready for dinner and had a brain TRIBBLE, although there are ways around the TPM issue.
    Unfortunately its only temporary, once they update the build then you have to redo it all again, which would be a pain in the a%#.
    My laptop is in the same boat with the TPM issue and its only 5 years old, i prefer 10 myself personally.
    Have upgraded both my boys systems to 11 only so i can get a good feel for the system and play around with em for testing before I commit to actually upgrading my own personal computer.