test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

23rd Century Bridge NPCs glitched through the chairs

Since it's 2023 and the issue has been reported for at least 5 years back, I figured I'd mention it again. I paid the $20 for the 23c bundle.

I use the Constitution bridge on every 23c ship I've been able to get my hands on for roleplay. All is well except just about all NPCs sitting on the crew deck are glitched sitting through their chairs with their feet sinking into the floor.

Kael said in an Q&A that the devs are bothered about the weapon origin hardpoints on ships just like us players. What of the iconic limited cosmetic appearance of crew on the vintage Star Trek origin map?

I'm no programmer, but if someone could accurately explain why or how this hasn't been fixed or what the expenses involved are, I would understand much better why issues like this aren't fixed more often.

Comments

• inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    At some point in the past, the base floor level in all maps was lowered, which has led to this bug.
    It's not massively noticed due to actual floors or ground being present for our characters to walk on, but seated NPC's often sit relative to the 'new base floor' instead of the seat they are sitting on.

The 'new base floor' is also noticable in the mission "Coliseum" as you now have to jump to make the interact button appear to escape through the sewer pipe in the Romulan Base, whereas you used to be able to just walk up to the pipe and the prompt to escape would just appear. Folks may notice that the floor level in that pool is definitely lower, necessitating the jump.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • scorpwanna#3529 scorpwanna Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    They gave up on Ship Interior's years ago (don't go to the TOS shuttlebay if you want to live). If a mission requires anything to do with interior of a ship, they'll overhaul it or fix something of it. Most ships these days are stuck with a default bridge. The 10th Anniversary Discovery Enterprise, or well, the Strange New Worlds one comes with it's bridge, but no other areas exist. I find it funny that you pay so much for the 10th Anniversary pack of all these ships, which includes the Galaxy Class (Enterprise D), but yet have to shell out more money to get the interior, that only exists because a mission required it.

If the floor leveling part is true, that would mean that the NPCs that sit are "attached" to an anchor/frame (object), this object need only be raised up in the map, so a quick open of the map, move the Z axis object and a save. Then again, have you seen Dyson Ground Battlezone? Trees in the air, a transporter/teleporter object block that should be hidden is visibly seen when the Outskirts teleporter is activated. And man, let me tell you about how that place was when they "fixed" one part of the game which broke down the entire Dyson Ground Battlezone for days (which ticked a lot of people off, log in game crashed), when it came back up "repaired", animated rotating cylinder parts in the map were sideways hovering in the air. Teleport pads in the zones were almost too high to jump onto to teleport around, don't get me started on the graphical problems on that one too that still plague the area to this day. They eventually rolled the map back to a previous version and now one of the doors animation doesn't work right (causing you to bump into it and wait a half second until it moves) and bridge officers get confused when following you, they give up (they stop all combat, allowing themselves to get attacked) and "unconscious" themselves.

There are so many minor visual glitches in the game which are at the bottom of the (we'll get to it) barrel, don't hold your breath waiting. Maybe one day they'll fix the running animation in the upper arms? That looks painful to the character model. How'd you like it if your arm twisted like that? heh

Don't worry, when this game hits the beta stage, I'm sure they'll have it pristine. :smiley:
  • At some point in the past, the base floor level in all maps was lowered, which has led to this bug.
    It's not massively noticed due to actual floors or ground being present for our characters to walk on, but seated NPC's often sit relative to the 'new base floor' instead of the seat they are sitting on.

The 'new base floor' is also noticable in the mission "Coliseum" as you now have to jump to make the interact button appear to escape through the sewer pipe in the Romulan Base, whereas you used to be able to just walk up to the pipe and the prompt to escape would just appear. Folks may notice that the floor level in that pool is definitely lower, necessitating the jump.

That's pretty interesting. Thank you for sharing! Just like cross-training at work, it really helps me to learn more about the subject to keep from stressing out about it as much. I tend to be OCD about such things.
  • They gave up on Ship Interior's years ago (don't go to the TOS shuttlebay if you want to live). If a mission requires anything to do with interior of a ship, they'll overhaul it or fix something of it. Most ships these days are stuck with a default bridge. The 10th Anniversary Discovery Enterprise, or well, the Strange New Worlds one comes with it's bridge, but no other areas exist. I find it funny that you pay so much for the 10th Anniversary pack of all these ships, which includes the Galaxy Class (Enterprise D), but yet have to shell out more money to get the interior, that only exists because a mission required it.

If the floor leveling part is true, that would mean that the NPCs that sit are "attached" to an anchor/frame (object), this object need only be raised up in the map, so a quick open of the map, move the Z axis object and a save. Then again, have you seen Dyson Ground Battlezone? Trees in the air, a transporter/teleporter object block that should be hidden is visibly seen when the Outskirts teleporter is activated. And man, let me tell you about how that place was when they "fixed" one part of the game which broke down the entire Dyson Ground Battlezone for days (which ticked a lot of people off, log in game crashed), when it came back up "repaired", animated rotating cylinder parts in the map were sideways hovering in the air. Teleport pads in the zones were almost too high to jump onto to teleport around, don't get me started on the graphical problems on that one too that still plague the area to this day. They eventually rolled the map back to a previous version and now one of the doors animation doesn't work right (causing you to bump into it and wait a half second until it moves) and bridge officers get confused when following you, they give up (they stop all combat, allowing themselves to get attacked) and "unconscious" themselves.

There are so many minor visual glitches in the game which are at the bottom of the (we'll get to it) barrel, don't hold your breath waiting. Maybe one day they'll fix the running animation in the upper arms? That looks painful to the character model. How'd you like it if your arm twisted like that? heh

Don't worry, when this game hits the beta stage, I'm sure they'll have it pristine. :smiley:

It depresses me that after 12 years, the people running the game still haven't fixed some of these most basic issues.

One of the reasons I asked for an explanation was to prove my theory (from what I understand of Cobra) that somehow coding for the game world means simple issues like you've both mentioned require someone to continuously and tediously cross-examine and restart the software until the bug is smoothed out.\

It would be amazing if one of us took a step into the studio and instantly found a cure for so many issues reported and/or ignored for so long. It also bothers me thinking about the butterfly effect of having fixed said issues so long ago, higher profit, population, etc.

By the way, anyone know why somehow they can't use canon sound fx/visuals for several weapons in the game? (Bajoran weapons, spiral wave disruptors, Kelvin photon torpedoes)
  • borgus1122borgus1122 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    Yeah, this is problem. Everything that was written about this is annoyingly true. TOS bridge, Dyson Battleground... But you forgot to mention glitches on Nukara, where chrystals are hoovering in the air almost on whole Nukara. And also that KDF characters can't seat in captains chair on almost every KDF bridge. And this all have been problems (visual) for a long time now. I don't get it, that they can't fix this problems. OK, I get it, that they work on nev content always, but they should fix this problems first and than continue with new content. I think this problem fixing (just visuals) wouldn't take them long. So there is one question: Are they unwilling to repair this glitches or they don't care about them - and us complaining about same glitches every day.