test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FLEET Starbase...... and ability to select races represented as NPC's

gynxmonkeypawgynxmonkeypaw Member Posts: 27 Arc User
This might be a bit of an intensive effort type question that might not fit with business model. AKA might be TOO trivial to take the programming time to render---- such as Fleet leaders being able to populate the Starbase with desired Race (Questionable/offensive comments moderated out. - BMR) as Staff and various areas.... just wondering.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    I'd be more interested in having the ability to set the Fleet base and other holdings as a character's main base of operation.

Going there is just as easy, but doing everything you can do on ESD, DS9 or SB 39 is more difficult with consoles and other stuff spread out over multiple levels.
    Moreover: staying there is almost impossible if you don't park your ship near the holding since transwarping will only keep you there until you leave the holding.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • spetsnaz#4187 spetsnaz Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Comrades, I like the idea of fleet leadership setting up certain NPC's to populate a set holding, even changing their looks and style - but that would required PAID programming, also it may not be possible due to cryptic coding, no pun intended.
    32aa55c7a06db911f5d90941ed174c06-1024x576.jpg

• spetsnaz#4187 spetsnaz Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    On the other hand, I wish that when one sets a hologram anniversary beaon in the entrance way, it perma remains until switched to another.

Did they fix the ones that no longer work? Referring to early years
    32aa55c7a06db911f5d90941ed174c06-1024x576.jpg

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited September 2022
    More customization choices is always a good thing, but yes it is probably too much work to make business sense just like customizing ship interiors.

I think most people spend most of their time playing story episodes and space TFOs so that's where they assign their resources.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    This kind of customization was discussed in a recent livestream with Bort, who stated (and I'm paraphrasing here) that some radical changes would have to be made to make that even possible, as those NPCs don't actually "exist" to be customized.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    On the note of suggestions for fleet bases, right now the holodeck on the fleet starbase feels like somewhat wasted space. Maybe allow fleets to have target dummies appper on the base so that fleet members can practice a ground DPS. I'd give a feeling that the holodeck is USEFUL for something at least
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    It reminds me of an idea I had for MMOs in general where player characters transfer (in some workable form) into the local NPC pool when the player logs off of those characters in certain eligible zones (like social zones, or capital cities, etc). Not for any gameplay purposes or reasons, but to add some style and flare to those locations. Obviously there'd need to be some indicator that the *player* isn't logged in, so as to avoid confusing other players. Sadly, I doubt it would work for STO though, because I think generic NPCs have a limited set of specific presets from which to choose when they spawn. Still, it would be a kick to beam onto (or dock at) DS9 and see one of your captains having a drink at a café, or playing dabo, or walking the promenade, etc, etc. It adds to the 'lived in' feel of the game world, you know?

That's... honestly one of the things I enjoyed when they would rotate the ships around in ESD to showcase the new hotness ship in the shipyard. It made that area feel more alive because it wasn't always the same ship there.
    On the note of suggestions for fleet bases, right now the holodeck on the fleet starbase feels like somewhat wasted space. Maybe allow fleets to have target dummies appper on the base so that fleet members can practice a ground DPS. I'd give a feeling that the holodeck is USEFUL for something at least

That... would be a good idea honestly. FF14 has similar practice dummies spread throughout the world, and even purchasable for placement in a player's yard if they own a housing plot. And they make them at various levels to accomidate different player levels since higher level targets will not be hit as often for a lower level class. A lv 50 Dragoon is not going to land a hit often on a lv 80 target dummy. But it is a good way to practice in a stress free environment, even without judging actual DPS numbers.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    SWTOR has practice dummies too.
  • bjorjlen#6464 bjorjlen Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    Being able to choose which NPC's populate your Fleet is a very interesting idea, and one that everyone would certainly love I am sure, but I also got one better... Fleet Base Customization. In many games I believe, such as City of Heroes, being able to create one's own "base" was a great addition to the game. It let people express their creativity and players always enjoyed that aspect of the game, even if they didn't create it themselves. When I first joined a Fleet, I was sorta surprised (and a bit disappointed as well) to find that everyone's Fleet bases all looked the same; no individuality at all to be found.

And while I can understand that it is far easier, and cheaper )even as far as time is concerned) for the Dev's to create one Base(s) for everyone to use, as the old saying goes... more is better. So how about this? As creating one's own Fleet Base (or choosing them from a set list of Bases available) is sorta out of the question, how about adding the ability to "add" items & objects to the Fleet Bases we already have, in much the same way as being able to add uniforms to our characters? I do not know exactly what these items could be, but if that was done, our Bases could start to look more like individual Bases as opposed to the copy/paste ones we have atm.

Yes, that would require a lot of work and time for the Dev's to create and be able to add to the game, and not something that I would expect them to do at all (for one reason or another), but "if" they did add this Base customization, it could be one way to add a Dilithium sink to the game that we did not have, and "maybe" also help with the game economy as well. I do not know how viable this would be, or if it would help the economy out in the short or long run at all, but as I tend to think outside the box many times, I figured I would mention this (even though I am sure it has been requested before). Cheers...

Peace...
    edited September 2022
    Being able to choose which NPC's populate your Fleet is a very interesting idea, and one that everyone would certainly love I am sure, but I also got one better... Fleet Base Customization. In many games I believe, such as City of Heroes, being able to create one's own "base" was a great addition to the game. It let people express their creativity and players always enjoyed that aspect of the game, even if they didn't create it themselves. When I first joined a Fleet, I was sorta surprised (and a bit disappointed as well) to find that everyone's Fleet bases all looked the same; no individuality at all to be found.

And while I can understand that it is far easier, and cheaper )even as far as time is concerned) for the Dev's to create one Base(s) for everyone to use, as the old saying goes... more is better. So how about this? As creating one's own Fleet Base (or choosing them from a set list of Bases available) is sorta out of the question, how about adding the ability to "add" items & objects to the Fleet Bases we already have, in much the same way as being able to add uniforms to our characters? I do not know exactly what these items could be, but if that was done, our Bases could start to look more like individual Bases as opposed to the copy/paste ones we have atm.

Yes, that would require a lot of work and time for the Dev's to create and be able to add to the game, and not something that I would expect them to do at all (for one reason or another), but "if" they did add this Base customization, it could be one way to add a Dilithium sink to the game that we did not have, and "maybe" also help with the game economy as well. I do not know how viable this would be, or if it would help the economy out in the short or long run at all, but as I tend to think outside the box many times, I figured I would mention this (even though I am sure it has been requested before). Cheers...

Peace...

This is actually already a thing with Fleet Starbases. The Special Projects add decorative elements to the starbase. Since they are optional and do not add to the functionality of the Fleet Starbase, Fleets could choose to run some, all, or none of the projects. This would allow some interior customization to the base. But given that they are all supposed to be standard military bases, it makes sense why they would all look the same otherwise.
    GrWzQke.png
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    The one thing, costmeticly, I'd like to see added, are Jem Hadar and Romulan base aestetics.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    The one thing, costmeticly, I'd like to see added, are Jem Hadar and Romulan base aestetics.

Yes, this would be nice.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.

Unfortunately, this was shot down back during Legacy of Romulus. Romulan fleets wanted their own Romulan style starbases, but the decision had already been made that Romulans would share whatever their allies used, so the work wasn't done for Romulan fleet starbases. They at least got their own social zone, though. Jem'Hadar don't even get that, having to utilize DS9 instead.
    GrWzQke.png
This discussion has been closed.