What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Uniform Colors

2»

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    I see a lot of folks are unfamiliar with the concept of "uniforms"... :wink:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    It's not like a Trek game that spans several hundred years (and parts of the more distant future too), along with multiple timelines/universes, actually has a specific uniform to standardize on, especially when even on the same timeline the Federation seems to change uniforms at least every five to ten years and the Klingons and Dominion either use house uniforms or some other organizational lines that result in wildly different 'uniforms' in use at the same time (if they are even uniforms in the normal sense in the Dominion where rank and position seems to be more based on race than anything else).

The closest any faction comes to long term consistency in the shows are the Romulans, and even that is pretty much out the window in the game with the fall of the RSE and the rise of the Romulan Republic with their "resistance fighter" motif.

Then there is the main Alliance, which is bigger than the regular player factions combined and includes ships and crews from other nations like the Ferengi and others from Alpha/Beta, Kobali and other Delta Alliance members outside of the PC factions, and apparently the defense forces of the various Alpha/Beta quadrant powers pressed into the general pools of Starfleet and the KDF to bolster their standing forces, which in turn bring their old traditional ships with them.

It wouldn't surprise me if in the current chaos of major wars even the relatively stuffy Federation does not bother to update the uniform production equipment in the mothball fleet ships and the crews just use whatever comes out of the fabricators/replicators/whatever they might have "until the crisis is past" which never happens since whenever one major war stops another starts in the game.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    So I got one of those Gorn hula shirts on my KDF.. Most of the color choices were between 2-5 colors. One of which for every type was brown. I'm done trying to go for more outfits when all that ends up in is disappointment.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited July 2022
    jonsills wrote: »

You mean like when one of my crews wears mirror universe uniforms, or the captain wearing Herald gear?

Or flying a Tholian ship, or using a Boolean cannon from the JJJVerse, ...

Appealing to canon or standard faction uniforms doesn't make sense when we can already ignore that to some extent. Just not as much as we want to.

Also: me being able to ignore canon doesn't stop you from outfitting your own crew with canon uniforms with strict TV show color choices and appropriate badges. Your fun is not wrong, but neither is mine.

• Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,264 Arc User

You mean like when one of my crews wears mirror universe uniforms, or the captain wearing Herald gear?

Appealing to canon or standard faction uniforms doesn't make sense when we can already ignore that to some extent. Just not as much as we want to.

Also: me being able to ignore canon doesn't stop you from outfitting your own crew with canon uniforms with strict TV show color choices and appropriate badges. Your fun is not wrong, but neither is mine.

No kidding. 'Canon' isn't a legitimate reason to restrict things when it is so flagrantly ignored in so many other ways and places. I get *SOME* limits (faction uniforms), but that's about as far as I'm willing to go -- and hey, all of my captains can wear the Gamma Vanguard uniform, so even that 'canon' gets broken!

we cant talk about canon, since its a touchy subject. :)

canon is one of those things each person has their personal opinion about, while yes there's a set of works that considered canon by the IP owner even within that framework there's room for variance, so what is acceptable and what is not depends person to person and we should remember that Cryptic devs are in the end humans so they will have their own opinions on these that might vary from what is yours, neither of those opinions is wrong but they are different.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User

Actually, no, I was referring to things like a Starfleet captain wearing a KDF uniform on the bridge of a Federation starship. Canon, shmanon - it's a different service. When I was at HQ SAC back in the day, Canadian and British officers serving there were neither expected nor permitted, by either side, to wear a USAF uniform, because it wasn't their service. The crew member you get who can't wear anything but the Terran Imperial uniform is a holorepresentation of a Terran Imperial officer, so that's in fact highly appropriate. Herald gear isn't part of any formally-recognized military, so while inappropriate on the bridge, it isn't potentially offensive to an off-and-on ally.

I note further that there are a lot of folks unfamiliar with the use of emoticons to substitute for those little variations in tone that can communicate so much. I empathize - being autistic, those tones are a second language to me - but really, I know from the same experience that it's possible to learn them. Komerex, tal khesterex?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited July 2022

Actually, no, I was referring to things like a Starfleet captain wearing a KDF uniform on the bridge of a Federation starship. Canon, shmanon - it's a different service. When I was at HQ SAC back in the day, Canadian and British officers serving there were neither expected nor permitted, by either side, to wear a USAF uniform, because it wasn't their service. The crew member you get who can't wear anything but the Terran Imperial uniform is a holorepresentation of a Terran Imperial officer, so that's in fact highly appropriate. Herald gear isn't part of any formally-recognized military, so while inappropriate on the bridge, it isn't potentially offensive to an off-and-on ally.

I note further that there are a lot of folks unfamiliar with the use of emoticons to substitute for those little variations in tone that can communicate so much. I empathize - being autistic, those tones are a second language to me - but really, I know from the same experience that it's possible to learn them. Komerex, tal khesterex?

My point is the game already ignores canon for uniforms on the bridge, and also allows wearing some (not many) other faction and other universe uniforms.

I can already take a fed 2409 crew and clothe them to create a Terran Defectors crew with the captain and crew flying their stolen (non-federation) Paradox ship. Everyone on the bridge aside from the random nameless NPCs is not following canon, and is wearing uniforms from a different faction (the empire) from a different universe. They include a re-programmed Holo-Leeta loyalty officer but the rest are stock 2409 boffs.

Since Cryptic has let us create that themed captain, why not other themes like an all-Ferengi crew wearing the lobi Ferengi outfits? An all-Risian surfer dude squad in the event ship?

Why is that blocked while my Terran Defector is allowed?
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    I don't think the devs really think of all the ramifications of the Alliance, or maybe they assume that any foreign ships would use the Alliance uniform exclusively instead of their own even though the major Alpha/Beta quadrant powers don't do that and continue to use their own uniforms.

Some of them do have native uniforms that boffs can use (like Kobali), but it would be nice if they made more of them available and made it easier to simulate the others by relaxing the restrictions on some existing pieces, but I doubt that they will except for the occasional token offering.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The Alliance Fleet is a nice concept that sadly lacks a lot of in-game exploration
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    lordeldred#2596 lordeldred Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Heh, the new colors...have you noticed the nice blue on ships and vibrant blues on uniforms, most notably npc's, and the reds look really dark [evil-ish] or cartoonish? I'm sure I'm not the only one noticing thing across the board getting more irl narrative-ish?
This discussion has been closed.