test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New 2409 tutorial feedback

yuzralyuzral Member Posts: 160 Media Corps
edited October 2022 in Federation Discussion
So I got around to playing the new 2409 Starfleet Tutorial (and the new missions) on stream. YouTube VoDs will follow over the next few days, but I wanted to note a few points here in the meantime:

1) The new sets are gorgeous. I know that's been said a lot elsewhere, doesn't make it any less true. Loads of little details for the curious (just how many of the holodeck regs got written after Barclay did something?) and generally just...wow.

2) Plenty of callbacks in the scripting for those paying attention.

3) Game does a decent job of covering the absolute basics.

However, there are some points that I feel could stand improvement:

A) On beaming down to Vega I had two BOffs with me (thus three people total) but only got armour for two. IIRC, we only had two people in the previous version of the Vega map - is this a holdover?

B ) There are some odd bits of pacing. The main one is the cruise from Vega to Sol, which seems like it would have been a good moment to either prompt you to upgrade with the rewards from the previous mission or introduce the Transwarp mechanism.

C) Can the mini-popups be made to automatically close after about 30 seconds?

D) "Actually it's Lieutenant, sir." I had an immediate WTF reaction to that line. First, because my understanding is that Quinn is right - the player character is still substantively a Cadet, despite Janeway field commissioning to Lieutenant so they have command authority in the emergency...that has now resolved, taking the field commission with it. Plus even if my understanding of how Starfleet does field commissions is wrong, the idea that the most junior full Lieutenant in the entire fleet would mouth off to a Fleet Admiral like that sits very poorly.

E) The Nimoy-era video refers to startrekonline.com. Can this be updated or will this self-resolve once the transfer to Gearbox is fully complete?
Blatant self-promotion: Producer of the Delta Rising Tribble Timewarp, Foundry Frolics and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/Yuzral
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 3,999 Arc User
    yuzral wrote: »
    E) The Nimoy-era video refers to startrekonline.com. Can this be updated or will this self-resolve once the transfer to Gearbox is fully complete?
    It's fully resolved itself to the main STO site for years - nothing really needs to change there.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,500 Arc User
    yuzral wrote: »

D) "Actually it's Lieutenant, sir." I had an immediate WTF reaction to that line. First, because my understanding is that Quinn is right - the player character is still substantively a Cadet, despite Janeway field commissioning to Lieutenant so they have command authority in the emergency...that has now resolved, taking the field commission with it. Plus even if my understanding of how Starfleet does field commissions is wrong, the idea that the most junior full Lieutenant in the entire fleet would mouth off to a Fleet Admiral like that sits very poorly.

That is an awkward point no matter how you look at it since it references an error made in TWoK. Since Saavik was in command school (which is were the Kobyashi Maru scenario is run) she should have been an LT JG until graduation, but Paramount Pictures had stopped listening to anything said by a "jumped up small-screen producer from Paramount TV" (Roddenberry) by that time and never bothered to find out how it was supposed to work.

The player character would have started the tutorial as a lieutenant JG. since they would be in command/department head school which starts when one is being promoted from the top of the junior officer positions (LT JG) to the lowest level of full officer (LT), not the basic program in which they are a cadet until graduating as an ensign (or LT JG in exceptional cases).

Kirk followed the standard pattern (just faster than usual):
    • Academy Basic program as a cadet
    • Upon graduation deployed on USS Republic as an ensign, quickly made JT JG then was put up for promotion sometime fairly soon after (quicker than usual anyway)
    • Returned to the Academy in the Command/Dept. Head school program where he would have still been a JT JG. As part of command training was assigned to teach/mentor/whatever a group of basic cadets in addition to taking his own classes, and finished up with the Kobyashi Maru scenario (for which he came up with the unique solution mentioned in ST3).
    • Graduated the Command/Dept. Head program of the Academy and was assigned to USS Farragut as a newly minted full lieutenant.

• corerunner#1772 corerunner Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    can we get the new bridge as an option( retroactively added to all fed toons) as i like the TMP styling.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    Necro /thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.