test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Upcoming OS and DirectX Support Changes

starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
Wow now this is funny I remember begging STO to let us use Directx 11, They even gave us a special script to use in our launcher to use it. Then they fixed it so didn't need the script. I know Windows 7 is no longer supported for updates by Microsoft. I wonder how many user still use it?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    starmanj wrote: »
    I wonder how many user still use it?

Short answer: Too many.

And STO is far from being the first software that requires an upgrade since support for Win7 was terminated. Some other games stopped working under Win7 too, and a lot of software for things like Onlinebanking and such have made adjustments to minimum-system-requirements very quickly after January of last year.

One customer even complained quite vocally about not being able to install our software under Windows XP... in 2020.
  • Options
    blackshap9#1072 blackshap9 Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    many people still use win7, a large portion of the player base are retirees and still use win 7

~A study conducted by cybersecurity company Kaspersky has revealed that as many as 22 percent of personal computer users are still using end-of-life Windows 7 operating system. The findings are based on anonymised data collected from Kaspersky Security Network users, who consented to it. Apr. 30, 2021~

According to StatCounter, around 16% of all current Windows PCs were running Windows 7 in July 2021. Some these devices are likely to be inactive, but that still leaves a significant amount of people using software that hasn't been supported since January 2020. This is extremely dangerous.Aug. 10, 2021

Over one in ten Windows computers are using the operating system form one poll and around 13 percent of Windows users were using Windows 7 from another poll
    https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-7-people-are-still-using/

The actual number is not known but world wide I would say it is much higher than you would think. More people use Win7 than Win8 LMAO!

There Are Still 100 Million PCs Running Windows 7
    https://www.extremetech.com/computing/318835-there-are-still-100-million-pcs-running-windows-7

How to get Windows 7 Updates until 2023 - Windows 7 End of Life
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1zkF_xyIVA

• Options
    How to get Windows 7 Updates until 2023 - Windows 7 End of Life

I would heavily recommend against encouraging people to use EoL-products. If they do it, it's their own risk/responsibility.
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    I was skeptical of Windows 10 myself when it first came about like alot of folks, but it's honestly not as bad as folks are making it out to be. If folks have bought a computer in the last 5 years and it has an actual graphics card, then folks should be fine. If your rig is over 5 years old you run a higher risk of needing to upgrade your rig if you want to keep playing. Component wise, everything on that list is around 10 years old, so you're talking 2009 components. 2012 I believe was the newest part on that list. So between 9-12 year old components as the absolute bare minimum. The only catch is if those components can support windows 10 or not. It sucks for those that need to upgrade or will have to upgrade and I'm willing to help folks who have issues.

Folks also need to understand this is nothing new and was bound to happen sooner or later. Time and technology wait for no man and will advanced whether we want them to or not.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    It's time for people to upgrade their potatoes... anyway, STO works quite fine on Win11, i have no issues... and i think it works faster.. but thats my perception.. i have no metrics to prove it.. yet, at least...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    starmanjstarmanj Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    LOL I have been using Windows 10 since beta few issues but is is stable now. Now I am pissed off about windows 11 requirements.
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    If windows annoys you so much that you are willing to run a discontinued 13 year old version of windows.

Switch to Linux. STO runs great under Linux... and you don't have to run a OS that hasn't gotten a security update in years never mind any QOL fixes or new features.

Manjaro
    Mint

If your really new to Linux and aren't sure how to install proton or wine DXVK ect yourself. Just install the Steam client (and distros like Manjaro and Mint have steam preinstalled couldn't be easier) download STO... one click install just like any version of Windows.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    It's time for people to upgrade their potatoes..

Most people don't even have to do any actual upgrades outside of their OS. As a general rule, if your PC will run Windows 7, it will run Windows 10. Win10 is generally more efficient then Win7 so you don't need better hardware to run the newer OS.

The exception comes if you're running hardware so old that there are no Windows 10 Drivers available, if that's the case then yeah.. sorry.. time to upgrade the potato. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    And apparently you can still get free legal upgrades to 10 if you google a bit for Microsoft's hidden access to that.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    And apparently you can still get free legal upgrades to 10 if you google a bit for Microsoft's hidden access to that.

It's not that hidden, actually. MS kept a backdoor open that is meant for Users who utilize ANY kind of accessibility-function, either through settings or tools like the screen-magnifier (which has been in Windows for ages now).

Those magnifiers are actually quite handy on websites or documents with really small fonts..
  • Options
    takfeltakfel Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    I'm more interested in a new game engine. Cryptic Engine is antiquated for a game like STO. Actually any MMO in general. It's great for making a MMO, not making a great MMO.
  • Options
    howtorhowtor Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    spielman1 wrote: »
    Updates happen i find it funny the community screams they want better stuff from the game on a computer that cant handle it hardware wise. I understand as of right now with shortages around but if ya have to update hardware and component wise get what ya can that is recent something ;like a AMD 5700XT GPU and 2080 Nividia and and such and you be good issue is when Windows 11 drops this will be nothing.
    If you want more from the game you need accept the fact that requires more modern and better GPUs CPU and so forth that includes programs too.

The thing that has amazed me is if their computer currently runs STO then they honestly do not have to get a new card because both graphics companies have dropped dx10 support years ago. get your self a inexpensive SATA SSD (make sure it has dram cache) and that will overcome the slow downs from older hardware, and cloning is so much easier now too. If you need a card you don't even need that a rx560 or gtx1060 will run this game easy and do not need to power supply to.

As far as the free windows 10 upgrade it still is as of 5 months ago. i do computer work and used the windows 10 ISO from their site and it upgraded just fine on a windows 7 machine.

• Options
    sniper1187sniper1187 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    Here is a off-the-wall question, What about those people who can't upgrade, but bought the lifetime sub? they are out of luck? game stolen from them by cryptic? Lifetime means lifetime of game, not when cryptic gets a idea to upend their code. Just wondering when cryptics monthly subs drop, which dev will get the heat lol. Or how many lawyers line up for the lifetime sub snafu........
    "Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure"
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    sniper1187 wrote: »
    Here is a off-the-wall question, What about those people who can't upgrade, but bought the lifetime sub? they are out of luck? game stolen from them by cryptic? Lifetime means lifetime of game, not when cryptic gets a idea to upend their code. Just wondering when cryptics monthly subs drop, which dev will get the heat lol. Or how many lawyers line up for the lifetime sub snafu........

No it does not.

It also does not mean they must provides a server with the exact gameplay that existed when each person bought the sub, or that they must provide people with the computers required to play the game, pay their internet service bills, or send someone to their home to help them with isolinear chip puzzles.
  • Options
    howtorhowtor Member Posts: 194 Arc User

[/quote]

Yeah but just saying i find it funny that some in the player demand more from the game but want it on older hardware and such, sometimes you just need bit the bullet and do a major upgrade. Also windows 11 is mainly a CPU based stuff have to have a certain CPU that has TMP and what not in it to work when that roles out there be a lot of unhappy players then too in general.
    This isn't major thing but players will still crip over it.[/quote]

I agree I am more upset with dealing with the windows 11 requirements then a gaming company dropping support for a 12 year old OS. both windows do not require much graphics to run unless you turn on all of the Aero theme. the slow down you are going to see is from the HDD more then anything honestly and that is where the SSD comes in.

Now i understand memory might be an issue but I am will to bet 90% or more native windows 7 machines will support at least 8gbs of memory and the older stuff is cheap on ebay

• Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    A few things need to be addressed here. First up, STO 2 isn't happening and they've made that clear. Maybe down the road they will change their mind, maybe they won't. Until we hear otherwise that's how it is. So lets move past the STO 2 talk.

Next, time and technology wait for no person. The game isn't being "stolen" from you just because the minimum standards have been raised. As time goes on and game companies upgrade their servers and games, older hardware combinations will no longer be supported because of how the game itself handles data. A 3090 is going to handle things differently than a card from 2000 as just one example. That's not a fault of the older hardware, or the newer hardware, or even the game. It simply means its time for an upgrade. Expecting to be able to use old hardware right on and on forever is like buying a Windows 95 machine and expecting it to always be able to play anything that comes out. Eventually whether you like it or not, the hardware will not be able to deliver the power needed to play the stuff. Think of it like a power generator that can deliver 30 megawatts being asked to deliver 35 megawatts.

By continuing to insist they keep supporting older hardware and operating systems right on and on, you are basically demanding them to deliver an inferior product and potentially leave open security vulnerabilities that could harm the game as a whole for everyone else. You don't need to have a monster gaming rig in order to play STO. You can get a rig that will play STO for very little cash. As for "not being able to upgrade" you can buy prebuilt systems and pay so much money a month until you pay it off. For that matter you can save some cash if you really want a machine. Yeah I get it, a computer can be a major expense but it doesn't have to be.

How long do you expect them to support ancient hardware?
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User
    I think all the talk about hardware is mostly a moot point. I am pretty sure the vast majority of people still using windows 7 are doing so as a choice to not upgrade to Win 8 or 10. Not because they are hardware locked to windows 7. I find it hard to believe any PC gamer even one that has been playing nothing but STO for 10 years is still using a Radeon 4000 (or older) or a GTX 410 (or earlier)... I have never met a PC gamer actually using a 12 year old GPU.

This is just people not wanting to run windows 10 cause they feel like its inferior or MS is spying on them. I mean never mind that they aren't getting updates anymore and are likely being spied on for real by far worse then MS. lol

Once again if your one of these people still running Windows 7 cause 10 will spy on you. Linux is 10x more secure... and runs STO just as well as Windows these days. I mean your millage will very depending on your hardware... but my FPS under Linux is perhaps 4-5FPS less then windows 10 on the same machine, which frankly is irrelevant anyway as I cap my FPS at 75 and turn on Freesync no need to have my GPU Fans spinning for no reason, STO isn't exactly the most taxing game.
  • Options
    westmetals wrote: »
    By continuing to insist they keep supporting older hardware and operating systems right on and on, you are basically demanding them to deliver an inferior product and potentially leave open security vulnerabilities that could harm the game as a whole for everyone else. You don't need to have a monster gaming rig in order to play STO. You can get a rig that will play STO for very little cash. As for "not being able to upgrade" you can buy prebuilt systems and pay so much money a month until you pay it off. For that matter you can save some cash if you really want a machine. Yeah I get it, a computer can be a major expense but it doesn't have to be.

Yeah... heck, I bought my machine (a Dell desktop) off the shelf at Costco, over four years ago, for $650... added a $150 video card in 2018... and it's well above even these new requirements.

In fairness, that is now a $350 video card. Cheaper to buy an xbox than the card :(

Still, recent intel onboard graphics can probably run STO at lower settings.
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    A few things need to be addressed here. First up, STO 2 isn't happening and they've made that clear. Maybe down the road they will change their mind, maybe they won't. Until we hear otherwise that's how it is. So lets move past the STO 2 talk.

Next, time and technology wait for no person. The game isn't being "stolen" from you just because the minimum standards have been raised. As time goes on and game companies upgrade their servers and games, older hardware combinations will no longer be supported because of how the game itself handles data. A 3090 is going to handle things differently than a card from 2000 as just one example. That's not a fault of the older hardware, or the newer hardware, or even the game. It simply means its time for an upgrade. Expecting to be able to use old hardware right on and on forever is like buying a Windows 95 machine and expecting it to always be able to play anything that comes out. Eventually whether you like it or not, the hardware will not be able to deliver the power needed to play the stuff. Think of it like a power generator that can deliver 30 megawatts being asked to deliver 35 megawatts.

How long do you expect them to support ancient hardware?

Uhm, isn't this game engine used by STO, a bit ancient? ;)

52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    That's like saying Unity or Unreal is ancient - the engine first came out decades ago, but it's been continually upgraded ever since; it's not like they haven't made a single change to it since releasing it.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    Will the update have anything to do with AVX? I'm on a phenom 1100t cpu. I'm not sure if AVX is something it supports or doesn't.
This discussion has been closed.