test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New TOS Temporal Recruit

therealblackkaostherealblackkaos Member Posts: 121 Arc User
Is it me, or does anyone else sort of having fun again replaying the older low level missions? To me, they have a certain charm. And now, with a TOS character, they almost feels like old school Trek episodes.

On another note, why are the Temporal Probes so damn hard to find on most maps? They don’t stand out like the others with the sign above it. Trying to find a red splotch on some maps is hard when the map itself is red and colorful. They need to at least add audio clues or something to help players zero in on them. Otherwise I like the mini game variety attached to them. Really interesting dynamic that I don’t understand why they didn’t keep with all the others.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    What I like about the lower level missions is that they are quicker and more concise. Newer missions may be higher quality but they also have a tendency to drag on and on and on ... infact some of them would be better if they were split into two separate missions.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    It's been fun replaying the missions with my Spock Toon, I also have a BOFF based on Captain Kirk with that lime green wrap command tunic that I bought from the C-Store, I also have most of the TOS Crew, however I'm having a hard time getting Scotty's face just right, I have Mirror Spock as an alternate costume, you can recognize from with my new profile picture, and yes making Leonard Nimoy's Spock a Temperoal Recruit was my surprise, I did tell you guys that I would break the timeline.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    FYI the 23rd century bundle with bridge, type 2 phaser, and uniforms is on sale for 1400 zen. If you get that you can dress your 25th century BOFFs properly to match your 23rd century crew. Or you can get one uniform set for 385 zen.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    FYI the 23rd century bundle with bridge, type 2 phaser, and uniforms is on sale for 1400 zen. If you get that you can dress your 25th century BOFFs properly to match your 23rd century crew. Or you can get one uniform set for 385 zen.

At the price of that bundle you could get not only all the TOS ones, you could get all of the separate uniform sets in the that tab full price for far less if all you want are the uniforms. I suspect the majority of people interested in the TOS uniforms got the individual sets for 385 zen each (so far I have picked up the TOS Romulan and the TOS Mirror sets and if I can squeeze the budget enough before the sale ends I hope to get the other TOS ones for example).

I would really like to get the TOS bridge too, even though it is the old-school-STO over-large map and has that annoying ceiling error (the ceiling you see in TMP is the ceiling Jefferies designed for TOS but they never built, so the bridge set should have that instead of that whatever the glowing hole is supposed to be that is there now).
  • therealblackkaostherealblackkaos Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    I’m still on the fence if I want to go full retro or go with updated uniforms and ships. Right now I’m using the Temer Raider for my recruit. Trying to find a retroT6 ship that works for me is hard. I’m leaning towards a temporal one but, because I already bought the 31st century pack, I feel like buying the rest of the packs is a waste of Zen. Wish they have a discount or prorated price for those that bought parts of packs. I may have to make the sacrifice though because I’m thinking gif going full role play with this alt.
    I like the look of the legendary Miranda TOS skin.

Other choices are one temporal T6 + its matching T1-T5 TOS ship for the skin unlock.

The Paladin T6 is in the discounted Temporal Agent Starter pack, it is paired with the TOS Ranger - https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Temporal_Agent_Starter_Pack
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I like the look of the legendary Miranda TOS skin.

Other choices are one temporal T6 + its matching T1-T5 TOS ship for the skin unlock.

The Paladin T6 is in the discounted Temporal Agent Starter pack, it is paired with the TOS Ranger - https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Temporal_Agent_Starter_Pack

I reiterate my gripe with the paladin -- it's another 4/4 temporal cruiser despite there already being multiple 4/4 temporal ships to choose from. In fact, there's literally a 4/4 temporal cruiser of the exact same style, with near identical layout. Why did the game need another 4/4??

The Paladin was one of the very first 4/4 temporal ships (the Temporal spec was released simultaneously with the Paladin and the other AoY ships), that's why the game needed it back when it was released.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited September 2021
    I have the Paladin as the Ranger-Paladin TOS combo. It is a nice ship, especially for the "zig-zag" style with a traditional arrays and torpedo setup since it is a bit more agile than the average cruiser which makes keeping things in the semi-alpha-strike zones easier.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    sooo part way through the tutorial and they reboot the servers. 1. how long to reboot, and 2 anyone have odds on how much of the tutorial I will have to re-do???
    Spock.jpg

• mikecobalt#1974 mikecobalt Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    I really enjoyed that start; actually more then the current time start. That character went on to become my main over the 1st (only have 2 :) ).
    I really enjoyed that start; actually more then the current time start. That character went on to become my main over the 1st (only have 2 :) ).

Yep, I just finished the TOS episodes on Xbox, after playing them a couple of times on PC years ago. They're fun, well done, and a nice length (not too long).

• horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    For sure! I've always felt that way about the early missions. The format fit the episodic style of classic TOS. Compared to the production values and technical improvements of more recent content the oldest episodes seem a bit "muddy" but they have an undeniable charm that channels the TOS vibe.

If they ever remastered some of the stuff they don't feel meets their current aesthetic standard I'd love to see them revisited as TOS episodes on a holodeck. Something like Captain Proton or other thematic missions have extremely limited utility beyond whatever standalone they are presented in, but modern captains cosplaying on a holodeck scenario set in the 23rd century could get a leg up with already existing resources that could be reused.

If anyone was feeling especially ambitious they might even consider adding some more to the pile which could also be repurposed for replacements in events like AoY, off the cuff temporal shenanigans, or a TOS arc (Now I'm really grasping 😛).
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    I'm loving it! My old AoY Temporal Agent had some new stuff to claim, but his dance card is now full. My new one is running the tutorial.

There are a few bugs, though:

1. In Shadows of Cestus, when Skavin is going on about conquering nature (about blowing up the big rock) the text of his speeches are correct, but the audio for them is reversed, and makes no sense. The second speech plays first, the first speech plays second. But the printed text IS in the correct order. It's just the calls for the audio clips that are wrong.

2. The Copernicus shuttle you take in the first mission has no NCC number or mothership name, just the shuttle name.

3. The Type F shuttle you get in either the AoY starter pack or for free in 23c. Spacecdock has the NCC number, but won't take the proper extension (e.g. the Galileo's NCC-1701 /7, instead taking a dash and letter, like the movie Enterprise's NCC-1701-A). Also the shuttle name is where the mothership name should be (and won't take the mothership's name), and the proper red script shuttle name is missing completely, even though that is the ONLY labeling done RIGHT on the Copernicus!

4. In the Zen-store Constitution interior, most seated crew are still on the floor (everyone in the Lounge and Briefing Room one in Engineering, a number of the doctors in Sick Bay, etc.) Will they ever fix this? If a new player, attracted to the game by AoY, saw this with their first purchase, how much desire to make a second purchase could the Devs realistically expect? I know this issue isn't unique to the Connie (I've seen it on Klingon bridges, too), but the problem seems MUCH more widespread here.

5. Also, why have I got 25c. placeholder crew on the Zen-store Connie bridge? Sure, there are 23c. placeholders, since my new guy hasn't enough BOFFs yet, but why are the 25c. gatecrashers there? If they are Temporal Agents, someone needs to go back to spy school for a remedial cover course.

6. Also on the same bridge, random filler crew get assigned to your bridge even if you DO have enough officers. Formerly, it at least filled all spots from your crew if it could, but even on my older Temporal agent, his bridge setup is now hosed, where it used to be fine. :(

7. Missing dedication plaques on both the Connie and Pioneer bridges.

8. Status screens all show the Constitution profile, even when you are on the Pioneer interior on the starter ship or in SPACEDOCK!

Anyway, the bugs certainly make me wonder what kind of impression of the game the Devs think a new player will get when smacked in the face with these right off the bat.
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »
    I'm loving it! My old AoY Temporal Agent had some new stuff to claim, but his dance card is now full. My new one is running the tutorial.

1. In Shadows of Cestus, when Skavin is going on about conquering nature (about blowing up the big rock) the text of his speeches are correct, but the audio for them is reversed, and makes no sense. The second speech plays first, the first speech plays second. But the printed text IS in the correct order. It's just the calls for the audio clips that are wrong.

Anyway, the bugs certainly make me wonder what kind of impression of the game the Devs think a new player will get when smacked in the face with these right off the bat.

Got that same bug and a minor quibble that made me cringe. At the end when you go to leave Tarsi says ready to disembark. Not ready to depart. Disembark means to get off the ship. . .

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
    edited September 2021
    Yeah, "disembark" made me cringe, too.

And the Romulan ships that attack you. In the cut-scene, 3 T'Lisses (all missing their trademark paint jobs!) decloak to attack you. But the ships that ACTUALLY attack you after the cut-scene are 2 Khenns and 1 T'Liss.
  • paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    Tarsi is wearing a gold shirt but yet she calls herself a red shirt, Tarsi your division switches colours a couple years later, how could she know this information unless... Tarsi is a time traveler.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Skimmed through the recruit unlocks and can't find the one that bumps the mark of rep gear. Went to check the ps4 temporal recruit and discovered they have somehow hit rank 10 in all the admiralties despite being a mothballed character and I've never maxxed out any admiralty track on any account
    edited September 2021

2. The Copernicus shuttle you take in the first mission has no NCC number or mothership name, just the shuttle name.

3. The Type F shuttle you get in either the AoY starter pack or for free in 23c. Spacecdock has the NCC number, but won't take the proper extension (e.g. the Galileo's NCC-1701 /7, instead taking a dash and letter, like the movie Enterprise's NCC-1701-A). Also the shuttle name is where the mothership name should be (and won't take the mothership's name), and the proper red script shuttle name is missing completely, even though that is the ONLY labeling done RIGHT on the Copernicus!

4. In the Zen-store Constitution interior, most seated crew are still on the floor (everyone in the Lounge and Briefing Room one in Engineering, a number of the doctors in Sick Bay, etc.) Will they ever fix this? If a new player, attracted to the game by AoY, saw this with their first purchase, how much desire to make a second purchase could the Devs realistically expect? I know this issue isn't unique to the Connie (I've seen it on Klingon bridges, too), but the problem seems MUCH more widespread here.

5. Also, why have I got 25c. placeholder crew on the Zen-store Connie bridge? Sure, there are 23c. placeholders, since my new guy hasn't enough BOFFs yet, but why are the 25c. gatecrashers there? If they are Temporal Agents, someone needs to go back to spy school for a remedial cover course.

6. Also on the same bridge, random filler crew get assigned to your bridge even if you DO have enough officers. Formerly, it at least filled all spots from your crew if it could, but even on my older Temporal agent, his bridge setup is now hosed, where it used to be fine. :(

8. Status screens all show the Constitution profile, even when you are on the Pioneer interior on the starter ship or in SPACEDOCK!

Another minor cosmetic goof that only the old-school deep-diving Trekkies are likely to notice are the ceilings both on the bridge and in the corridors. According to comments Jefferies made (and some of the internal memos from TOS that have been reproduced elsewhere, discussing whether to build and use the hung-by-wires ceiling or not) when TMP came out, the bridge ceiling should be the same as the TMP ceiling.

Also, in the corridors they should not have 20th century florescent tubes, the entire ceiling was supposed to have a translucent glowing look almost like looking out into a cloudless sky (but without an actual sky picture or depth) using seamless self-contained lighting panels similar to the one Reger uncovers in Return of the Archons.

Overall though, despite the minor set errors AoY recreates the look and feel of TOS extremely well.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    For sure! I've always felt that way about the early missions. The format fit the episodic style of classic TOS. Compared to the production values and technical improvements of more recent content the oldest episodes seem a bit "muddy" but they have an undeniable charm that channels the TOS vibe.

If they ever remastered some of the stuff they don't feel meets their current aesthetic standard I'd love to see them revisited as TOS episodes on a holodeck. Something like Captain Proton or other thematic missions have extremely limited utility beyond whatever standalone they are presented in, but modern captains cosplaying on a holodeck scenario set in the 23rd century could get a leg up with already existing resources that could be reused.

If anyone was feeling especially ambitious they might even consider adding some more to the pile which could also be repurposed for replacements in events like AoY, off the cuff temporal shenanigans, or a TOS arc (Now I'm really grasping 😛).

I wondered some time back why they removed certain missions.

I mean, I get it from a "flow" point of view, but why remove the missions from the game?

They could keep them in (or put them back in) as side-missions or holodeck simulations.
    We had a mission called "Saturday's Child" that took us to Capella IV, for example, and even meet Leonard James Akaar. That one got the axe a long time ago, though.
    Why can't we have that as a side-mission?
    Why not add it back as a holo-deck training simulator scenario? Just something.

It's content. It took a lot of time to get that mission into the game, and one day they basically took all of that work and just threw it out to "speed things along" even though players will be looking for more and different things to do once they get to the cap.
    Same with "The Kuva'Magh" and "War is Good for Business" and more.

So too with accolades. A lot have been removed over time. I get it if an element has been completely removed, but if some element remains then the accolade should remain. Fire Suppressor, for example.
    In "Researcher Rescue" they changed the fires some, but there are still fires to extinguish. Just keep the accolade in the game for putting out what is there, even if it is a 'gimme' now.

Another minor cosmetic goof that only the old-school deep-diving Trekkies are likely to notice are the ceilings both on the bridge and in the corridors. According to comments Jefferies made (and some of the internal memos from TOS that have been reproduced elsewhere, discussing whether to build and use the hung-by-wires ceiling or not) when TMP came out, the bridge ceiling should be the same as the TMP ceiling.

Also, in the corridors they should not have 20th century florescent tubes, the entire ceiling was supposed to have a translucent glowing look almost like looking out into a cloudless sky (but without an actual sky picture or depth) using seamless self-contained lighting panels similar to the one Reger uncovers in Return of the Archons.

Overall though, despite the minor set errors AoY recreates the look and feel of TOS extremely well.

Good catch on the ceilings! I just jumped back in-game and checked and Ugh! You are 100% right. I guess I never looked up. Now I can't un-see them!

I wondered some time back why they removed certain missions.

I mean, I get it from a "flow" point of view, but why remove the missions from the game?

They could keep them in (or put them back in) as side-missions or holodeck simulations.
    We had a mission called "Saturday's Child" that took us to Capella IV, for example, and even meet Leonard James Akaar. That one got the axe a long time ago, though.
    Why can't we have that as a side-mission?
    Why not add it back as a holo-deck training simulator scenario? Just something.

It's content. It took a lot of time to get that mission into the game, and one day they basically took all of that work and just threw it out to "speed things along" even though players will be looking for more and different things to do once they get to the cap.
    Same with "The Kuva'Magh" and "War is Good for Business" and more.

Yep. And "The Tribble With Klingons"! That was a fun one! And the "Mine Trap" queue with all the M-113 Salt Vampires.
    So too with accolades. A lot have been removed over time. I get it if an element has been completely removed, but if some element remains then the accolade should remain. Fire Suppressor, for example.
    In "Researcher Rescue" they changed the fires some, but there are still fires to extinguish. Just keep the accolade in the game for putting out what is there, even if it is a 'gimme' now.

Now you tell me! I just played that mission again TWICE with my new AoY recruit because I thought I'd missed the Accolade. Now I see it's gone. Ah, well.
This discussion has been closed.