test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Costume boxes shouldn't be faction locked

Currently the New Genesis bundle's WOK uniform boxes can only be opened by Federation captains.

However, it is possible for Klingon-faction captains to have qualifying BOFFs (Marauding reward renegade BOFF, Kobali BOFF, etc.) who could wear the uniforms, so why can they not be unpacked and used for such BOFFs?

And in fact, it's possible for ANY captain to have a BOFF of ANY faction and gender (for costume purposes)... via various means (Romulan BOFFs from the Fleet Embassy, Jem'Hadar BOFFs from the Gamma expansion pack, etc.) so... every costume box should have faction locks removed.

Comments

• westmetalswestmetals Member Posts: 7,565 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    I understand that.

But that's not what I am talking about.

What I'm talking about is that these uniforms can already be worn by certain BOFFs, and all captains can get BOFFs of every faction. So every captain could have one or more BOFFs who already qualify... except that they can't (currently) open the box.

I was not asking for changes to the actual restrictions (in the tailor settings) on the race/gender/faction limits.

As in my example: it's possible for a Klingon captain to have a qualifying Fed BOFF who can wear Starfleet uniforms. But in this particular case can't unpack said uniform.
    Post edited by westmetals on
  • keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member Posts: 3,550 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    I understand that.

But that's not what I am talking about.

What I'm talking about is that these uniforms can already be worn by certain BOFFs, and all captains can get BOFFs of every faction. So every captain could have one or more BOFFs who already qualify... except that they can't (currently) open the box.

I was not asking for changes to the actual restrictions (in the tailor settings) on the race/gender/faction limits.

As in my example: it's possible for a Klingon captain to have a qualifying Fed BOFF who can wear Starfleet uniforms. But in this particular case can't unpack said uniform.

how many fed boffs can a klink get though? 1? all ive heard is the exchange program, where you get one...
    meh

Cryptic has stated in the past that CBS has mandated certain uniform restrictions.

Likewise, they have explicitly mentioned the reasoning behind some uniform restrictions. Things like Fed aligned Romulan Captains, or various alien BOFFs, are not technically part of Starfleet, they are aligned with Starfleet. So they shouldn't be wearing Starfleet uniforms because they are not actually in Starfleet.

Them not being on BOFFs for Klingons is likely some similar restriction.

this is BS. we can faction fly any damn ship but cant wear stuff we buy? hell, and i am sure west will beat me up for this, but my ToS toons cant wear certain things (uniforms and comm badges) as it is. and they are effin feds...so wtf?

they sell it without admitting what restrictions are in place. getting old real fast.

crytpic: guess what guys - you can now fly a klink d7 as a fed.
    us: yay!
    cryptic: oh you want to wear that uniform? nope, we wont allow it. but go get a d7 and fly it all day long.
    us: wtf?

meh

• faxmachine#9639 faxmachine Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    Currently the New Genesis bundle's WOK uniform boxes can only be opened by Federation captains.

However, it is possible for Klingon-faction captains to have qualifying BOFFs (Marauding reward renegade BOFF, Kobali BOFF, etc.) who could wear the uniforms, so why can they not be unpacked and used for such BOFFs?

And in fact, it's possible for ANY captain to have a BOFF of ANY faction and gender (for costume purposes)... via various means (Romulan BOFFs from the Fleet Embassy, Jem'Hadar BOFFs from the Gamma expansion pack, etc.) so... every costume box should have faction locks removed.

you are exactly right
    cryptic: oh you want to wear that uniform? nope, we wont allow it. but go get a d7 and fly it all day long.
    You presume Cryptic is the one making these calls. Cryptic has repeatedly said they want to make tailor options more open, but CBS keeps saying no every time they ask.

they are in bed with them. maybe someone at cryptic should grow some nuts and explain TRIBBLE to them then. :)

kinda stupid to allow cross faction flying (money) but then not allow certain costumes on certain toons? (cpt or boffs)

im tired of the excuse its not them but cbs. one and the same.
    meh

they are in bed with them.
    No? That isn't how that works at all.
    kinda stupid to allow cross faction flying (money) but then not allow certain costumes on certain toons? (cpt or boffs)
    I agree, just like I think its stupid we can't play as androids, or have a normal Zen store T6 Connie, or jump over the bar into Quarks, or how they are being overly protective of the Lower Decks stuff visually.

yes it is...

and its about time you realized things you want as well. start thinking like a player and less like a flag bearing soldier.
    meh

oh and lets get back on topic. thx.

meh

one of the main reasons for game forums if for players to post things they want.

it might be possible now or it might now.

sometimes things that were not possible before are later possible like end game connies which CBS did not allow for a long time.

so just because CBS does allow something now or in the passed doesnt mean it wont change.

so everybody should keep asking for things they want and maybe one day it can happen.

thanks for the great post westmeals!
    and its about time you realized things you want as well. start thinking like a player and less like a flag bearing soldier.
    Me thinking its dumb isn't going to change reality about what CBS dictates. What I "want" is irrelevant to reality, and has no place is honest discussion.

funny. playing a game like STO would then be irrelevant to reality too then.

but if you have ideas as to why the OPs post is relevant or not please provide it. and please dont use the cbs BS.
    meh

edited August 2021
    I guess maybe I shouldn't have said anything. Because "OMG you are so right, they shouldn't sell me costumes that my captain and BOFFs can't use"... is exactly not what I meant. But apparently every single thread that has anything to do with costumes becomes a rant thread about the tailor restrictions.

Let me repeat (again): THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE TAILOR RESTRICTIONS. Please don't take over the thread debating that. If you want to debate the tailor restrictions, start your own d**** thread.

It so happens that (as I explained before) every captain can actually acquire BOFFs of every faction (via episode rewards, fleet purchases, the diplomacy/marauder rewards, and the C-Store). In some cases, only one of, but so what? (And fyi I gave two examples in the first post, which obviously you didn't read beyond the word "costume".

Those BOFFs, can already wear any uniform (or other costume) of their own faction... but those uniforms are occassionally disallowed solely because of faction locks on the uniform boxes.

• horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 656 Arc User
    I'm OK with "canon" lines being observed. If there are some vestiges of the series that are sacred cows it's almost nice to see some remain. The problem as I see it are the the overlapping and blurring of the lines between prohibitions and broken tailoring. A Reman and a Romulan both observe the same affiliations in the storyline yet a Romulan has a great deal more latitude in what they can wear. A good part of the fun is designing a uniform for a ship's company yet the Reman's are shinted out of a good part of the Romulan attire. A Bajoran uniform from the DS9 pack can be worn by some characters who aren't Bajorans (I like the new TMP stylings) but others not so much. At least if there was transparency on what is, "forbidden" and what isn't then maybe some of the bugs could be clearly identified and addressed. Maybe that's why the silence prevails.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

edited August 2021
    I'm OK with "canon" lines being observed. If there are some vestiges of the series that are sacred cows it's almost nice to see some remain. The problem as I see it are the the overlapping and blurring of the lines between prohibitions and broken tailoring. A Reman and a Romulan both observe the same affiliations in the storyline yet a Romulan has a great deal more latitude in what they can wear. A good part of the fun is designing a uniform for a ship's company yet the Reman's are shinted out of a good part of the Romulan attire. A Bajoran uniform from the DS9 pack can be worn by some characters who aren't Bajorans (I like the new TMP stylings) but others not so much. At least if there was transparency on what is, "forbidden" and what isn't then maybe some of the bugs could be clearly identified and addressed. Maybe that's why the silence prevails.

No apparently the silence prevails because every time anyone even mentions costumes, everyone piles on with "there should be no uniform restrictions". Regardless of what the post was actually about.

Mods, please close this thread, it is being hopelessly derailed. I am saddened by this, but apparently this is a topic that cannot be rationally discussed.

@rattler2 , @darkbladejk ....

No apparently the silence prevails because every time anyone even mentions costumes, everyone piles on with "there should be no uniform restrictions". Regardless of what the post was actually about.

Mods, please close this thread, it is being hopelessly derailed. I am saddened by this, but apparently this is a topic that cannot be rationally discussed.

please dont let one person kill your thread.

if you do that it will only encourage them and show them they can kill any thread they dont like.

one person should not be able to come in and kill threads they disagree with.

that is now how forums are supposed to work.

you did a good thread and it shouldnt be killed.
    edited August 2021

if you do that it will only encourage them and show them they can kill any thread they dont like.

It's not just one person. It was every poster except for you.

This thread was supposed to be about faction limits on uniform delivery boxes, which are preventing the uniforms from being used on BOFFs that otherwise qualify.

It was not supposed to be about changing the restrictions on what captains or BOFFs qualify to use the uniforms.

However @somtaawkhar and @keepcalmchiveon can't be bothered to actually read what a post is about before replying to it, they just go by keywords or some such c*****.

Hah. You were never on topic, except for the first question you asked, which I had already answered.
    oh sorry i misunderstood.

thanks for your post anyway.
    edited August 2021

This thread was supposed to be about faction limits on uniform delivery boxes, which are preventing the uniforms from being used on BOFFs that otherwise qualify.

It was not supposed to be about changing the restrictions on what captains or BOFFs qualify to use the uniforms.

However @somtaawkhar and @keepcalmchiveon can't be bothered to actually read what a post is about before replying to it, they just go by keywords or some such c*****.

Hah. You were never on topic, except for the first question you asked, which I had already answered.

but i was. and you seem to miss the point that the restrictions is that if one cant wear it anyway, why should the box open?
    regardless if its a boff or cpt. open for one boff? why? if cpt cant wear it, why bother?

see, the whole deal is off because of the whole fly any ship you want no matter your faction or what faction the ship "should" belong to.

two different topics...sure. but yet the same. if we can fly any ship, why cant we wear any costume?
    meh

saddened...good word.

yes, please close.
    meh

edited August 2021

but i was. and you seem to miss the point that the restrictions is that if one cant wear it anyway, why should the box open?
    regardless if its a boff or cpt. open for one boff? why? if cpt cant wear it, why bother?

see, the whole deal is off because of the whole fly any ship you want no matter your faction or what faction the ship "should" belong to.

two different topics...sure. but yet the same. if we can fly any ship, why cant we wear any costume?

It's NOT the same topic. "But it's about costumes".... no. It's not the same topic.

As I have repeatedly said (and not just in this thread)... yes there are faction restrictions on costumes. But that was not what this thread was supposed to be about. If you want to argue that, start your own d**** thread, stop highjacking everyone else's (and not just this thread).

What is WAS supposed to be about:

It is possible to get BOFFs that are of a different faction than the captain. Those BOFFs may already be of the qualifying faction for a costume... but in some cases are being blocked ONLY because the captain cannot open the costume's box.

It's NOT the same topic. "But it's about costumes".... no. It's not the same topic.

As I have repeatedly said (and not just in this thread)... yes there are faction restrictions on costumes. But that was not what this thread was supposed to be about. If you want to argue that, start your own d**** thread, stop highjacking everyone else's (and not just this thread).

What is WAS supposed to be about:

It is possible to get BOFFs that are of a different faction than the captain. Those BOFFs may already be of the qualifying faction for a costume... but in these cases are being blocked because the captain cannot open the box.

and again, if a boff cant wear it, no matter the faction, why should the box open? so it has everything to do with costume restrictions as a whole. maybe you have a ToS boff, and in this case the other thread was about WoK parts. maybe the ToS toon cant wear the WoK and therefore the box wont open. there could be other reasons or situations as well.

you yourself mentioned there are many restrictions, one being the timeskip, but then there are still restrictions that should not be there. thus, maybe the box wont open. and given the myriad of bugs around...who knows.
    meh

edited August 2021
    i do have a question though...

have you yourself run into this, or are you basing this on the other thread?

if you have, what cpt are you running and what boffs do you have? maybe cryptic could use that to determine why.
    meh

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,576 Arc User
    Things like Fed aligned Romulan Captains [...] are not technically part of Starfleet, they are aligned with Starfleet. So they shouldn't be wearing Starfleet uniforms because they are not actually in Starfleet.
    I honestly thought this restriction had been lifted, but I just checked in-game and nope, Romulan captains still can't wear Starfleet uniforms. This seems odd now though since Fed-Aligned Jem'Hadar CAN wear Federation uniforms, I suspect CBS may have changed their mind between the release of LoR and the release of ViL but retroactively changing Romulan uniform options would be too much work with the current size of the team.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited August 2021

if you have, what cpt are you running and what boffs do you have? maybe cryptic could use that to determine why.

I have. Klingon faction captain. The episode-reward Kobali BOFF (who can normally wear Starfleet uniforms; in fact I have her in the Voyager-era uniform already).

But I can't unpack the WOK uniform boxes. The box itself. The box's tooltip says it can only be opened by Federation captains. I just think that's stupid considering that I have a BOFF who would already qualify to wear it.

As I said - I'm not talking about the tailor restrictions. I'm talking about the costume box itself.

As I have repeatedly said though, it's actually possible for ANY captain to have BOFFs of EVERY faction.
    Things like Fed aligned Romulan Captains [...] are not technically part of Starfleet, they are aligned with Starfleet. So they shouldn't be wearing Starfleet uniforms because they are not actually in Starfleet.
    I honestly thought this restriction had been lifted, but I just checked in-game and nope, Romulan captains still can't wear Starfleet uniforms. This seems odd now though since Fed-Aligned Jem'Hadar CAN wear Federation uniforms, I suspect CBS may have changed their mind between the release of LoR and the release of ViL but retroactively changing Romulan uniform options would be too much work with the current size of the team.
    *shrugs*

I know even recent special BOFFs like the Elachi BOFF can't use Fed uniforms. The Reman, Breen, Jem'Hadar, and Borg, special BOFFs still can't either IIRC. This despite them updating the Jem'Hadar special BOFF for ViL.

AGAIN this thread IS NOT about the faction restrictions on costumes!

I have. Klingon faction captain. The episode-reward Kobali BOFF (who can normally wear Starfleet uniforms; in fact I have her in the Voyager-era uniform already).

But I can't unpack the WOK uniform boxes. The box itself. The box's tooltip says it can only be opened by Federation captains. I just think that's stupid considering that I have a BOFF who would already qualify to wear it.

As I said - I'm not talking about the tailor restrictions. I'm talking about the costume box itself.

As I have repeatedly said though, it's actually possible for ANY captain to have BOFFs of EVERY faction.

ok, and not like you want to, but have you purchased or can you, the lobi version of one of the WoK parts and see if that is also closed off? or can your klink not even see the WoKs in the store?
    meh

This discussion has been closed.