Install Arc
Options

Dil Exchange Trading Volume: Real Data!

2»

Comments

• Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    szim wrote: »
    Ever since they started with these back-to-back events, even casual players can easily make ~200'000 dilithium ore per month, by just playing the game for 5-10 minutes a day. Events are a money printing machine and therefore the main cause for high inflation. The easiest long-term solution would be to remove dilithium rewards from events entirely and replace them with something else, lobi crystals or event currency, for example. Something that isn't directly linked to dilithium.

That would only treat a symptom of the problem, not the key problem here. People are willing to dump dilithium for the absolute worst possible exchange rate to get zen for it. The global endeavor today is dilithium mining at the asteroid. Spend 10 minutes playing the worst minigame in this game 5 times for 2 cents worth of zen (+endeavor rewards.) Is there anyone doing this daily? Its a waste of time without endeavor attached to it.

So why is dilithium trading so cheaply? Because there is nothing worth doing with it after a point. Yeah some people are buying all they can to turn into phoenix tokens and gold out every alt they have. Some are bankrolling fleets. Some are even hording it to speculate that Cryptic will actually come out with a really good way to spend dilithium. That's about all there is to it.

If people could buy useful stuff with dil, then it wouldn't be as out of demand as it is. It is just that simple. They would have to make the choice between putting it up on the market or buying cool thing X and Y and Z. And then they realize they spent all their dil and need a bit more so they buy $10 of zen and grab some more dil.

Instead the demand for dilithium is next to zero for most people. Few are willing to spend $$ on it. OBVIOUSLY some do. Most do not find value in buying or even just holding onto dilithium or the exchange rate would not be what it is.
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    Game needs more dil sinks no doubt.

Moving the cap would fix nothing, you would think this should devalue Dil. All it does is set a new floor. I think someone already mentioned it they tried the increase the price cap thing in Neverwinter. Within a few hours the new cap was the new holding price and people where still waiting days and weeks to move Astral Diamonds for a little less zen.

People have suggested a ton of ways for Cryptic to "Fix" the exchange or at least keep it flowing at a reasonable speed. Now we wait and see what they do. Any real fix involves ongoing work on their part. Their is no fix imo where they just add one or two simple little valves and its solved. IMO the only real fix is Cryptic providing new useful things to do with Dil ongoing... actually tending their game. For a few years nowthe only work they have done has been on Zen store packs. They stopped adding things to the Pheonix store and started adding them to the zen store. It was only a matter of time before that caught up to the dil cap. I don't have much hope they will actually fix anything. I expect by Xmas it will be a 2-3 week wait to move Dil.
  • Options
    askatusaskatus Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The price cap isn't the issue. Its the desirability of Dilithium, and people not posting zen for sale as much as they used to. No one is disputing that zen isn't being posted for sale at all. Its taking longer to sell now because there's a backlog of people waiting to BUY zen with Dilithium. Doing anything to the price cap is not going to solve the core issue of zen not being posted on the exchange. You don't fix the exchange by flooding it with MORE Dilithium waiting to be traded. You need more Zen to balance it out.

That means making Dilithium more desirable by making things people want available for Dilithium.

Sorry Rattler...but none of this is how economies work. Like AT ALL. You do realize that if I have 500k dil to spend on zen and the cap is at 500, I can place an order for 1000 zen, but if that cap is raised to 1000, that same 500k dil now only lets me order 500 zen. That means that those 1 million zen per 2.5 days will go be being filled in 1.25 days or faster...right? RIGHT? And that doubling speed assumes there is ZERO loss from the increased price.

What? No! Not right! Not even close to being right! So far into the wrong that I can't fathom how you could have reached this conclusion.

Currently the limiting factor on the dilex is the rate at which Zen is posted for sale. You cannot buy Zen any faster than that. Why would making Zen even more valuable by doubling the cap increase the rate at which it is put on sale? At best, people will keep posting it at the same rate, but get more dil in return (thereby accelerating the rate at which they approach the point where they have all the dil they need and stop buying it). At worst, they only need to post half as much Zen to buy the dil they want and it takes even longer to fill orders. What possible mechanism are you envisaging that means people will post Zen more quickly?
    You shoot me down
    But I respawn
    I am duranium!
This discussion has been closed.