test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to Fix the Dilithium Exchange

lleutenantdanlleutenantdan Member Posts: 9 Arc User
Edit: this has been moved to be a comment to the main thread here:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1262607/kael-is-asking-for-your-dilithium-sink-ideas/p1

This thread can now be safely removed.

Clearly, there is an in-game economy issue with the dilithium exchange. The value of zen has been maxed out at 500 dil per zen for at least 3 weeks now. So how do you motivate people to convert paid currency (Zen) to dilithium rather than the other way around? You add valuable recurring items to the dilithium store.

Lockbox keys.

Now, hear me out. What does the game benefit the most from? People spending money to get keys to open lockboxes. Okay, but why not leave them as zen-store exclusives? Because it is of high value. People will trade copious amounts of dilithium to get zen. Zen then buys keys to get the new and shiny ships. But WHAT IF there was a Lockbox key weekend event? Buy as many keys as you want with dilithium for one weekend only.

You could package them as bundles:

1 key = 65,000 dilithium
5 keys = 280,000 dilithium
10 keys = 550,000 dilithium

But also leave keys on the zen store as well, so people can get them more easily as part of the key-ring bundle in the zen store, or 1, 5 and 10 packs in the dilithium store. This will both increase the value of dilithium to the playerbase and reduce the overall hoarding of dilithium and zen that tends to happen. I, myself would be more inclined to buy keys with surplus dilithium rather than zen because dilithium cannot buy the legendary bundles and account-unlockable ships.

Scenario 2: Move lockbox keys to the dilithium store permanently. This will incentivize people to farm large amounts of dilithium or pay their way to convert zen into large amounts of dilithium. But it will keep regular amounts of currency and customers trading zen to dilithium rather than the other way around.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 641 Arc User
    Right now the best dilithium items are phoenix packs, though IMO making them available permanently was a mistake. When they were only around at certain times they would create a spike in demand which in turn would drive the exchange rate down.

Of course what the devs will likely do instead is to raise the cap above 500, however if they did that they would also have to raise the cap on refining dilithium ore by a proportionate amount.
  • lleutenantdanlleutenantdan Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    > @coldnapalm said:
    > You realize there is already a thread for this...right? On the front page no less. @rattler2 can we get a merge?

If I found it, I would have replied to it. Do you have a link for it? I didn't see one already posted about this specific idea.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    > @coldnapalm said:
    > You realize there is already a thread for this...right? On the front page no less. @rattler2 can we get a merge?

If I found it, I would have replied to it. Do you have a link for it? I didn't see one already posted about this specific idea.

There isn't supposed to be a thread for every specific idea, because you don't want the entire forum full of threads named "Here is my idea to fix the exchange". Instead, all are collected in one thread:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1262607/kael-is-asking-for-your-dilithium-sink-ideas/p1

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,442 Community Moderator
    Er...
    I...

@darkbladejk @wingedhussar#7584 could one of you do the honors?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lleutenantdanlleutenantdan Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > There isn't supposed to be a thread for every specific idea, because you don't want the entire forum full of threads named "Here is my idea to fix the exchange". Instead, all are collected in one thread:
    >
    > https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1262607/kael-is-asking-for-your-dilithium-sink-ideas/p1

Thank you. I have moved the comment there and I will delete this post
This discussion has been closed.