Install Arc
Options

The Whale Probe.

2»

Comments

• Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Crusade had potential, but was hamstrung by being aired out of order so it came across as even more disjointed, which probably contributed to it only lasting one season.

Something that always bothered me about one of the characters in particular...Lieutenant John Matheson. He'd "passed all the checks", but he was a telepath.

SO...had he been public about it and in the Psi-Core, in which case, why would he be a military officer? Was he on the downlow like Ivanova? Had he been on the Sleepers?

It never made sense to me that he could be an officer, of his rank (because he couldn't possibly be a new recruit and have that posting) or what. It's little things like that that do really bug me.

If it had stayed on, I do love that Bester was going to appear. I'm going on a B5 rant here, which is ridiculous because I LOVE the show, but I'll also never understand why in Legend Of The Rangers they called him "David". Of all the names, you choose that that you immediately think is going to be Sheridan's son.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    I believe it was implied that by the time of Crusade, Psi-Corp had been disbanded and they were allowing Telepaths to have more freedoms, including military service.

The organization as a whole was pretty much a "secret police" style regulatory organization. If you had ANY telepathic ability of ANY kind, you had NO CHOICE but to join Psi-Corp, or be hunted down and forced. Even Ivonava was at risk, and she barely registered on the scale. She can tell if she's being scanned and that's it. As she put it she barely rates as a P-1. But that's still enough for Psi-Corp to haul you in.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I believe it was implied that by the time of Crusade, Psi-Corp had been disbanded and they were allowing Telepaths to have more freedoms, including military service.

The organization as a whole was pretty much a "secret police" style regulatory organization. If you had ANY telepathic ability of ANY kind, you had NO CHOICE but to join Psi-Corp, or be hunted down and forced. Even Ivonava was at risk, and she barely registered on the scale. She can tell if she's being scanned and that's it. As she put it she barely rates as a P-1. But that's still enough for Psi-Corp to haul you in.

Her mum though taught her how to avoid being discovered. She joined Earthforce without anyone finding out. And absolutely, there was a passage of time between the end of B5 and the start of Crusade...but the Telepath War happened between, right?

So, again...this guy was either on the downlow, or Psi-Core and then someone rose through the ranks of the military.

I always imaged that Lyta brought telepaths from all the races together, to create their own society.

I actually never cared for the ship whatsoever. Compared to the 2010-esque, it was terrible. And I would have much rather the plot be to travel into Vorlon space for the cure. It had defences, to they'd have to take a Vorlon ship...but a White Star wouldn't cut it. I'd have loved if the Vorlons had given the Mimbari one of their ships to backwards engineer from...and they still had it. And then of course...you need a Vorlon too, so in comes Lyta.

Crusade was unfortunately the victim of The Powers That Be pulling it from pillar to post...not that I personally felt that the premise was strong to begin with.

They should have done a Worf and brought an original character or two into the series, to help transition it. Ivanova, Lockley even! Just someone to help it along and stop it feeling so disjointed and disconnected from B5.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,023 Community Moderator
    Ok I looked up Matheson on the B5 Wiki. He WAS a member of Psi-Corp through the Telepath War. After the organization disbanded he was able to join Earthforce and had been Captain Gideon's XO for 6 years by the time of Crusade, first aboard an Explorer class ship, then aboard EAS Excalibur.

https://babylon5.fandom.com/wiki/John_Matheson
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.